Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

scary ghost dog posted:

yes medullah is allowing the show to affect his memory of the book, an absolute travesty

Yeah it's been a while so I realized I'm exaggerating.

The point still stands that he went from creepy kidnapper to hero in the god awful show that Dean Norris did after getting all sorts of praise for Breaking Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Am I missing a ton with Holly if I didn’t read The Outsider, or If It Bleeds? It didn’t occur to me that King had done more with the character since End of Watch.

I've only read The Outsider, and though Holly is a major character in it, she doesn't have a super big arc. She just shows up and is nervous but competent and then faces down the villain.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I mean if you want to read all the Holly books you also have the Mr. Mercedes trilogy. I actually really liked the TV adaptation, like....a lot.

So much so that when I got to the Outsider series I was sad to see they didn't bring back the actress and recast her, but I guess she was busy starting her Succession career.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Enjoyed seeing this in the latest Popbitch:

quote:

Stephen King has already made so many lasting contributions to popular culture, but he casually tossed off another all-timer in Rolling Stone this week when the interviewer asked him if there was any truth to the rumour he loved Lou Bega's Mambo No.5.

"Oh, yeah. Big time. My wife threatened to divorce me. I played that a lot. I had the dance mix. I loved those extended play things, and I played both sides of it. And one of them was just total instrumental. And I played that thing until my wife just said, 'One more time, and I'm going to loving leave you.'"

Dave Angel fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 8, 2023

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Just finished the Dark Tower. Cool and good ending IMO

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
On Wolves of the Calla in my re-read. The Commala song is to the tune of the Macarena, right?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

in an ideal world King did the sequels to Danse Macabre with the same zeal he shows boring rear end Holly Gibney

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Just finished what seems to be my annual reread of Desperation, and I don't know what it is about this one, but it's totally my jam. I love the setting, and I think Tak is a good villain; he's a selfish, short-sighted body stealing moron who thinks he's running the show, even though he's just a commercial in God's program.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I really like the companion novel, too, and I can't even begin to describe why. It's a weird book, with a weird villain, with weird bathroom habits, but something in these two books just clicks with me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Leave posted:

Just finished what seems to be my annual reread of Desperation, and I don't know what it is about this one, but it's totally my jam. I love the setting, and I think Tak is a good villain; he's a selfish, short-sighted body stealing moron who thinks he's running the show, even though he's just a commercial in God's program.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I really like the companion novel, too, and I can't even begin to describe why. It's a weird book, with a weird villain, with weird bathroom habits, but something in these two books just clicks with me.

I think what strikes me about both of those more than anything is that they illustrate one thing I love about King: You can often never tell who's going to get blasted. He has zero scruples about annihilating someone after setting up their interesting backstory, their personality, their connection to other characters, etc.

Just blam, out of left field, gone.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I think what strikes me about both of those more than anything is that they illustrate one thing I love about King: You can often never tell who's going to get blasted. He has zero scruples about annihilating someone after setting up their interesting backstory, their personality, their connection to other characters, etc.

Just blam, out of left field, gone.

Like how Mary gets loving iced in the beginning of The Regulators, after a shitload of build-up about her affair?

The role switching is also really cool; we get to know some new characters, see alternate versions, and I think it's well done. Even if it's just a name thrown off somewhere, it's still a neat thing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Leave posted:

Like how Mary gets loving iced in the beginning of The Regulators, after a shitload of build-up about her affair?

The role switching is also really cool; we get to know some new characters, see alternate versions, and I think it's well done. Even if it's just a name thrown off somewhere, it's still a neat thing.

The thing is it doesn't really feel like Richard Bachman to me, his stuff is usually grittier realism, right? That is super fantasy oddball stuff and I could only read it the once as a companion to Desperation and a mandatory read back when I would read anything he published sight unseen.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I always thought of Bachman as King's repository for ideas that were a little lower brow or were more dystopian than horror. Running Man, Thinner, the Long Walk. They're all just kinda trashy or pulpy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bachman is men with guns, men suffering, hard men making hard decisions. If it was released under that name as planned, Misery would have been the best Bachman book by a country mile, because it has the pathos and humanity that a lot (not all) of the other Bachman stuff lacks.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Larry Cum Free posted:

On Wolves of the Calla in my re-read. The Commala song is to the tune of the Macarena, right?

LOL yeah you can picture Roland's dance as the Macarena just getting faster and faster. "COMMALA!"

I just finished this last night and my enthusiasm for the series is a little diminished - it's a definite step down from IV with the introduction of Callahan's whole thing and how much that seriously drags on, plus the Harry Potter/Star Wars stuff with the Wolves is a bit of a let down. I was a bit disappointed in Susannah's story in this and the introduction of Mia and the chap. The whole demon rape thing sucks but I am gonna grab the next in the series and keep truckin because I did enjoy Jake and Oy, Eddie's continued evolution, the seven samurai story with the town and the Dogan just outside of it, and as a new dad I was also drawn in/disturbed by the child theft stuff

Might take a quick break before diving into VI

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Leave posted:

The first half of Desperation was so great and the opening got me hooked right away. Classic bait, lure and line Stephen King for me.

I just hated how it got more and more supernatural and poo poo when "crazy, half demon possessed Sheriff of a small, isolated town in the middle of nowhere who locks all these people up and wants to systematically murder them for crazy reasons in his head" would easily have sufficed and, IMO, been a far more intense read. Less is more and all that.

Reminded me a little bit of Dean Koontz' Intensity; the first book I read of his and the only one I liked.

King could have still sprinkled in his usual supernatural poo poo but I think he took it too far and it ruined the book for me. It'd be like if, all of a sudden, in 11/23/63 introduced a giant, interdimensional alien demon monster in Dealey Plaza out of nowhere.

I remember the moment the book lost me:

[spoiler]magic kid has magic rib cage stretching powers that let him escape an iron barred prison cell[spoiler]

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BiggerBoat posted:

magic kid has magic rib cage stretching powers that let him escape an iron barred prison cell

In the movie they just lubed up a shirtless kid which I assume was guest directed by Bryan Singer

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Wolves of the Calla is basically just Ready Player One when you think about it

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think it could have been good even if it had just been Etragian going nuts, leave it a maybe magic, maybe mundane, because King sometimes pulls

his head, Boat. Even Houdini couldn't have fit

that poo poo but like I've said, it's not the most common of choice for a favorite King, and I wish I could describe better why it works for me as well as it does.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

So why isn't Spielberg optioning it then smart guy?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

If Harry Potter never becomes a global phenomenon does Wolves of the Calla still stink? What beloved IP would Stevie have shoved in there instead along with the Doombots?

My guess is Star Wars. The more topical answer given the time period is probably like.... Pokemon or Beanie Babies or some poo poo.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

My guess is Star Wars. The more topical answer given the time period is probably like.... Pokemon or Beanie Babies or some poo poo.

Star Wars was in there with the Wolves' lightsabers lol .

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Android Blues posted:

Bachman is men with guns, men suffering, hard men making hard decisions. If it was released under that name as planned, Misery would have been the best Bachman book by a country mile, because it has the pathos and humanity that a lot (not all) of the other Bachman stuff lacks.

hot take but i honestly prefer misery the movie over the book. the book is good but its very clearly the story of him talking about his addictions and fame, which works and anny is still scary but like its more of a weird b plot to "gotta not get hooked on meds and thinking about my books" plot.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Mat Cauthon posted:

If Harry Potter never becomes a global phenomenon does Wolves of the Calla still stink? What beloved IP would Stevie have shoved in there instead along with the Doombots?

It would have been pretty fun if the Wolves just threw pokeballs at the kids to kidnap them

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Combat pogs.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

MNIMWA posted:

Star Wars was in there with the Wolves' lightsabers lol .

Oh man you're right I completely forgot they had those.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1703180371716669455?t=Bmt0aOkKy-lgDVeVsSRvxA&s=19

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

All things serve the stream

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That's some very restrained shilling, I can't be mad at it.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
Holly has gotta be the worst thing King has ever written, hopefully he puts out another short story collection or something soon

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Just finished DT book 6. Hmm.

Didn't care for the meta stuff with SK the author, to be honest. I don't really feel like it adds that much to the story - you could take it all out (and, tbh, Callahan entirely) and be perfectly happy. It also felt like Mia revealed her true motivations a couple times, and the trip to Fenic was just a repetition of her whole deal? It's both too long and also doesn't provide the explanations for earlier stuff I was looking for, but I'm hopeful that these threads get wrapped up in book 7. I continue to feel like Susannah isn't really being used well as a character. There are also references to other King works that I think are getting past me - Cullen in Maine, for ex. Oy and Jake are still great, Eddie and Roland still great (excellent shootout in the general store, for ex). Looking forward to wrapping this up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MNIMWA posted:

Just finished DT book 6. Hmm.

Didn't care for the meta stuff with SK the author, to be honest. I don't really feel like it adds that much to the story - you could take it all out (and, tbh, Callahan entirely) and be perfectly happy. It also felt like Mia revealed her true motivations a couple times, and the trip to Fenic was just a repetition of her whole deal? It's both too long and also doesn't provide the explanations for earlier stuff I was looking for, but I'm hopeful that these threads get wrapped up in book 7. I continue to feel like Susannah isn't really being used well as a character. There are also references to other King works that I think are getting past me - Cullen in Maine, for ex. Oy and Jake are still great, Eddie and Roland still great (excellent shootout in the general store, for ex). Looking forward to wrapping this up.
General critique on DT6, no spoilers for 7.
This is is the first DT book [6] written entirely post-accident, I believe, and it shows. It's rushed as gently caress, short, makes no sense, and insults the world it has created. Try to enjoy the final book but just realize it was also written in a year's time because he didn't want to GRRM that poo poo, before GRRM was known for GRRMing. He was painfully aware of his own mortality and the writing suffers significantly.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 25, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I only remember a handful of things about the last two books but aside from the ending everything I remember is terrible. The worst is the mind trap, that was embarrassing.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

drat, cause book 3 and 4 were sick. Even parts of five were really strong. I think I'll end up checking out The Little Sisters of Eluria after I get through book seven.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
LSoE is really good. Some solid Rolanding.

It's in Everything's Eventual, which is a great short story collection.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Wind Through The Keyhole is also pretty good, I'd recommend it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Wind Through The Keyhole is also pretty good, I'd recommend it.

Yeah.

If you've been a fan for a while you were hoping he didn't die between books 4 and 5. And then he, hoping he didn't die, just shat out the remainder.

I've re-read 5-7 because I'd picked up 4 and then had to go back and read 1 and 2.

I guess it's fortunate that they never made a movie of these.

They NEVER made a movie of this.

Eluria and Keyhole are great though. I love Roland's history and love book 4.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

Holly has gotta be the worst thing King has ever written, hopefully he puts out another short story collection or something soon

Holly is just not fun to follow/read about and at this point, you know he likes her so much that she's invincible, so not much matters in the story. The whole thing read like some amateur True Crime fiction book.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

just started Book 7 of the Dark Tower. why oh why did king feel the need to have Mordred born with a boner, and for Mia to be overcome with motherly love that she kisses it

and yeah Holly just sucks as a character, her inclusion in the Outsider just sucked all the fun out of that one

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How’s the whole Mr Mercedes trilogy? I read the outsider without knowing she was a recurring character.

How is Billy Summers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The trilogy is pretty good. First couple of books are just thrillers. The end of the second book implies there’s supernatural stuff going on, and the third kind of goes off the rails with it. Overall I had a good time.

Billy Summers is a decent thriller with some references to other King stuff. It held my attention but it doesn’t really stand out in any way.