Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

Turin Turambar posted:

tease for the next update of Tiny Rogues...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3XFF0RR08

but he has delayed it until end of year.

looks fantastic

soundtrack is banging as expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Another Hybrid Hopeful---that seems more inherently hopeful than many: Dungeon Dungeon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2114380/Dungeon_Dungeon/ Has a Demo, starting the EA gauntlet

quote:

Dungeon Dungeon! is a turn-based RPG featuring roguelike elements and unique combat system. Recruit companions, upgrade skills, collect loot. Become a dungeon adventurer and lead your party to conquer the dungeons!

Build Your Party!
Recruit new companions each with unique skill and passives.
Every play through is different. Choose new skills wisely.

Conquer the Dungeons!
Explore different factions, fight mysterious creatures and monsters.
Use the unique combo system to your advantage and change the tide of the combat.

Collect Loot!
Hundreds of items, helmets, armors and accessories to equip your party with.
Unlock permanent perks, some could even change how you play the game.

Develop Your Companions!
Over 30 skills. Every skill has its own skill tree. Define your very own build.
Enhance your companions with adventurer classes, along with the powerful ult skills.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Turin Turambar posted:

tease for the next update of Tiny Rogues...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir3XFF0RR08

but he has delayed it until end of year.

Well, at least we have Revita 2.0 to look forwards to, which I'm sure we'll get an update about any day now since the last projected release date was fall 2023. Aaaaaany day now.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Crop rotations meta is interesting, a slow progression of more complex seeds+ a higher success threshold. It doesn't feel very satisfying difficulty wise, like, just make it a score attack? But I dig it so far, very chill little engine builder with some deeper considerations and micro efficiencies to explore

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

RoboCicero posted:

Well, at least we have Revita 2.0 to look forwards to, which I'm sure we'll get an update about any day now since the last projected release date was fall 2023. Aaaaaany day now.

I found a post on Steam:

BenstarDev posted:

Some proper announcements on that stuff soon. As always we did try our best, but to set expectations. Not great situation stuff right now, but potentially leading to some really hecking cool stuff in the future that I sadly can't talk about yet. The update has been in a weird situation for a while now due to some not so fun behind the scenes things and I'll try to have an information update on that ready as soon as I can (sometime the next few weeks) But it requires both my and the publishers consent so that is the reason for the current silence. Hope that is understandable, trying to be as transparent as I possibly can be =D

That was on the 14th of this month.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

that reminds me, Roboquest continues it's really loving weird development process - 1.0 is in play test, but you have to sign an NDA to get in :psyduck:

I like RQ quite a bit but everything about their early access and the trajectory of the development has just been... odd

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

victrix posted:

that reminds me, Roboquest continues it's really loving weird development process - 1.0 is in play test, but you have to sign an NDA to get in :psyduck:

I like RQ quite a bit but everything about their early access and the trajectory of the development has just been... odd

why the nda? I doubt the game have changed THAT MUCH, from the last beta version. Doing that, after a very long Early Access phase like they had is weird, for sure.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Anyone else play Astrea: Six Sided Oracles? It's a dice-building roguelite. Stumbled onto it the other day and played the demo a few times. Seemed like it has potential and really nice presentation and the full release is later today.

Astrea is a lot of fun. Each run is pretty fast and encourages replay. Initial impressions could be better simply because the starter hero emphasizes a slow playstyle (and is overall on the weaker side), but the game really opens up after a bit of playtime. The first hero you unlock (Shark Oracle) is a blast, as are some of the later heroes. The optional superboss area (that you can access after securing at least one win with each hero) is very well done.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Another Hybrid Hopeful---that seems more inherently hopeful than many: Dungeon Dungeon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2114380/Dungeon_Dungeon/ Has a Demo, starting the EA gauntlet

Tried the demo. It's bad.

Magitek fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 25, 2023

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Having played quite a bit more of Astrea: Six-Sided Oracles I feel like I can give it a "highly recommend" to anyone interested in deckbuilders. Finally beat the game once and I'm getting very similar vibes to when I first played Slay the Spire. The Purification/Corruption mechanic really shines and adds a lot of turn-to-turn complexity.

The metaprogression is exactly the same a StS where as you play once of the six characters you level them up which unlocks progressively more dice and blessings (StS relics) that give you more options to build towards. Once you are used to the mechanics of how everything works runs seem to take around an hour or so and they feel nicely paced. The map is stripped down compared to StS where you pick what node you want to go and pick a path, but all the pathing is based on what you want to upgrade between your dice, sentinels (basically a pet with its own dice), or a random event, etc. All the fights you choose between a normal fight or a hard one that give you a passive relic at the end. It was sort of nice to always have the option to fight the equivalent of an elite without needing to path towards it.

Hopefully this game has some lasting power. So far it seems like it will but I'll see what the ascension levels and different unlocks bring. According to the in-game compendium it looks like there are over 700 dices, 150ish relics and some other stuff. I imagine that will make for some interesting builds.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Drone Incognito posted:

Hopefully this game has some lasting power. So far it seems like it will but I'll see what the ascension levels and different unlocks bring. According to the in-game compendium it looks like there are over 700 dices, 150ish relics and some other stuff. I imagine that will make for some interesting builds.

FWIW the first Ascension is a pretty big jump in difficulty, increasing each standard enemy's HP by 20-30%. I get the feeling that the game was initially tuned around these numbers, and then they dialed things back while people familiarize themselves with the general mechanics and the minutiae of each hero.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've also been really enjoying Astrea, it's genuinely incredible. I feel like a lot of dice games have a problem where you're always at the mercy of a bad hand; doesn't matter how good your dice are, if you roll the worst options on all of them you're SOL. Astrea just does such a great job of giving you so many options to fix your roll, between everyone having a reroll virtue, sentinels that can reroll or convert dice, and corruption even not explicitly being a bad thing, that you can almost always turn your hand into a positive one if you play well.

I do wonder about balance between characters though. From what I played, Moonie and Cellarius are both pretty decent, well-rounded starter characters, and then Hevelius feels insanely goddamn powerful. Hell, the game even acknowledges that, what with the corruption virtue on his bar and only having two hearts. The second I got a hang of him I just absolutely tore through the game, with turrets auto-blasting for 20 damage per turn and getting stacks of thorns up to 18. I think his downside is supposed to be that he's basically powerless without sentinels, but enemies don't do enough AoE (and he does enough Light Shield) for that to actually matter.

And then I unlocked Austra, and she feels like a joke character in comparison. Her main defining trait is...literally everything she does is RNG and it's extremely difficult to get stuff working. I can definitely see some build arounds, but it seems like a bunch of risky fragile combos that just don't compare to the strong and simple stuff the first 3 characters can do. And I really, really don't appreciate the Confuse 3 she has on her virtue bar, especially because you're required to use it every time it pops up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ExiledTinkerer posted:

See, here is actually a great summary of why I end up passing on most games I see nowadays. Nothing about this game's presentation encourages me to play it. It's just a checklist.

quote:

Dungeon Dungeon! is a turn-based RPG featuring roguelike elements and unique combat system. Recruit companions, upgrade skills, collect loot. Become a dungeon adventurer and lead your party to conquer the dungeons!

quote:

Recruit new companions each with unique skill and passives.
Every play through is different. Choose new skills wisely.

quote:

Explore different factions, fight mysterious creatures and monsters.
Use the unique combo system to your advantage and change the tide of the combat.

quote:

Over 30 skills. Every skill has its own skill tree. Define your very own build.
Enhance your companions with adventurer classes, along with the powerful ult skills.
waow!

The trailer and the screenshots are a confusing mess of contradictory colors and opaque UI elements. I understand I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but when so many games are vying for my attention, openly advertising yourself as a paint-by-numbers game is not going to create the best first impression.

Again, I haven't actually played the game -- maybe it's great -- but it's making an extremely poor pitch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arzaac posted:

Hevelius feels insanely goddamn powerful. Hell, the game even acknowledges that, what with the corruption virtue on his bar and only having two hearts.

Hev's Corruption virtue isn't a drawback. It's there so he can shoot down his own Sentinels at will in the Repair/Rearm build.

I agree that Austra is absolute trash design, though. She can get very, very powerful with the right setup, and you should take any blessing that causes you to deal additional Purification because it affects each hit of a multi-hit attack, but too often her run is ended literally in the first fight.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jedit posted:

Hev's Corruption virtue isn't a drawback. It's there so he can shoot down his own Sentinels at will in the Repair/Rearm build.

I agree that Austra is absolute trash design, though. She can get very, very powerful with the right setup, and you should take any blessing that causes you to deal additional Purification because it affects each hit of a multi-hit attack, but too often her run is ended literally in the first fight.

Hev corruption also activates the blessing that hurts enemies when you corrupt yourself/sentinels, and there is a sentinel that starts with vengence so you hurt it to empower. I guess there is also the die to heal sentinels to full and hurt all enemies for the difference but i was never tempted to pick it.

My go-to Austra strat (after failing with her many times) is: Dodge, Riposte, pick every die with "meteor" in it (edit: forgot about skypiercer). Look for any blessing that purifies when you corrupt enemies. Later on you can also put dodge on enemies (what) if you get the blessing that purifies them for some ridiculous 40+ or whatever when it gets dodged. With smokebomb that is a flat 75% without eating the dodge. Usually at some point I dont even look at enemies anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SKULL.GIF posted:

See, here is actually a great summary of why I end up passing on most games I see nowadays. Nothing about this game's presentation encourages me to play it. It's just a checklist.

waow!

The trailer and the screenshots are a confusing mess of contradictory colors and opaque UI elements. I understand I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but when so many games are vying for my attention, openly advertising yourself as a paint-by-numbers game is not going to create the best first impression.

Again, I haven't actually played the game -- maybe it's great -- but it's making an extremely poor pitch.

the thing that fucks me up is that if someone told me that description was AI-generated i would have no issue believing it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

I understand I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but when so many games are vying for my attention, openly advertising yourself as a paint-by-numbers game is not going to create the best first impression.

The nature of marketing on Steam is a bit weird; it seems it's mostly two extremes, with big AAA stuff being the most overproduced mtx-infested stuff lacking any vision, or alternatively some small studio who's never heard of things like "an catchy hook" or "selling yourself" and could use a slap with a business 101 textbook or something. There's a few gems in the middle that seem keenly focused and well produced, but hooboy are they not the default I feel.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
For good and ill, despite how long running the scene actually is, the international game scene out of Greater Asia on the whole is still very much within the growing pains---the mistakes are about as baffling as they are in earnest as folks try To Try.

We shall know them by their changelogs and convoluted roadmap executions though, as always, above all else.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

ExiledTinkerer posted:

We shall know them by their changelogs

What a great turn of phrase!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Brut posted:

Also haven't heard of this, gameplay seems interesting but it seem like it went in to early access over 5 years ago, is it ever actually coming out with a complete version?

It's still under active development and what's already there is definitely worth the money, IMO. It's loads of fun, quite polished, has a gentle on-ramp if you aren't good at shmups and a very high skill ceiling if you are. And it should be going on sale later today as part of the Steam Shmupfest!

It's in a bit of a hiatus right now because version 7 wrapped up earlier this year (consisting of dozens of small, frequent updates adding up to a new game mode, new characters, 17 new bosses, a shitload of new items, challenges, and events, balance tuning, a redesign of the charged shot mechanic, and a lot of scope creep) and the dev followed that with a brief vacation and some time working on other projects. So for a few months now it's basically just been getting bugfixes.

The current roadmap is for version 8 to be a small number of larger updates adding the last major game mode and a bit more story, then version 9 adding the last two characters + the remaining final bosses and story content, and then leaving EA once v9 is all bugfixed. The dev estimates that this will take about a year, with the first v8 patch landing this fall and leaving EA sometime late 2024. I think that's a realistic timeline if he's able to keep scope creep to a minimum, but, well, version 7 was meant to take two months and add like 1/5th as much content as it actually did, so lol.

To dig into how the metaprogression works in a bit more detail, since that's the main aspect you seemed interested in, it basically works like this:
- completing optional objectives ("Dreams") unlocks new characters, game modes, monsters, and items (and cosmetic stuff like backgrounds and music tracks)
- once unlocked, the new monsters and items can appear in-game but will be unidentified until fought or picked up
- once encountered at least once, you can spend tetrids (the metaprogression currency, earned by playing on any mode) to "radiate" them, permanently identifying them and showing you detailed stats and flavour text
- Tetrids can also be spent to permanently upgrade some features, like unlocking higher levels of Quickplay mode, or adding more slots to the Link Synapse (which lets you give up some items mid-run to get them at the start of your next run)

The fact that unlocks are tied to completing specific objectives encourages you to mix things up a bit and develop specific skills; you can grind quickplay to get tetrids if you want, but you won't have anything to spend them on if you aren't also clearing new challenges. Each dream has a corresponding steam achievement so you can look at the full list to get an idea of what it's asking you to do -- there's a lot like A Wonderful Gift that you're basically guaranteed to unlock through normal play, but others that require specific effort to get (like Photo Finish), that encourage tinkering with special-purpose builds in Quickplay (like Burn It Down), or that just require you demonstrate a consistently high level of skill (like Perfect Ten).

This is a game that I probably never would have given a look, just because I'm not that interested in shmups in general, but someone gifted it to me back in 2018 and since then it's become one of my all-time faves, and it's only gotten better with time.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 25, 2023

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I've also been really enjoying Astrea, it's genuinely incredible. I feel like a lot of dice games have a problem where you're always at the mercy of a bad hand; doesn't matter how good your dice are, if you roll the worst options on all of them you're SOL. Astrea just does such a great job of giving you so many options to fix your roll, between everyone having a reroll virtue, sentinels that can reroll or convert dice, and corruption even not explicitly being a bad thing, that you can almost always turn your hand into a positive one if you play well.

I do wonder about balance between characters though. From what I played, Moonie and Cellarius are both pretty decent, well-rounded starter characters, and then Hevelius feels insanely goddamn powerful. Hell, the game even acknowledges that, what with the corruption virtue on his bar and only having two hearts. The second I got a hang of him I just absolutely tore through the game, with turrets auto-blasting for 20 damage per turn and getting stacks of thorns up to 18. I think his downside is supposed to be that he's basically powerless without sentinels, but enemies don't do enough AoE (and he does enough Light Shield) for that to actually matter.

And then I unlocked Austra, and she feels like a joke character in comparison. Her main defining trait is...literally everything she does is RNG and it's extremely difficult to get stuff working. I can definitely see some build arounds, but it seems like a bunch of risky fragile combos that just don't compare to the strong and simple stuff the first 3 characters can do. And I really, really don't appreciate the Confuse 3 she has on her virtue bar, especially because you're required to use it every time it pops up.

Austra has a star blessing that makes her sentinels inherit part of her crit and have extra multi, that with the vengeance sent boosted to two dice blew up the final boss for me with two 50 damage crits .

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Jedit posted:

I'd...still classify that as a drawback. It's easy enough to get a bunch of corruption off of risky dice that I feel like its usually a downside to get an extra guaranteed 3 corruption per turn. And especially so if you're not explicitly doing the one build that wants a bunch of corruption, like I was.

And yeah, I do see how Austra can be really, really good, I just feel like she has a weak start and takes proportionally more stuff to actually get going. It's things like, if I want to get the meteor build going I'll need multiple sky piercers and multiple meteor dice and probably dodge dice to avoid too much damage and even then I can get blasted by an unlucky overcorrupt; or I can play Hev, pick up a single risky die that gives each of my sentinels 6 extra damage per turn, and oh look at that I'm set for like half the game

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
I am by no means expert at the game, I've only played Austra once and won, obviously on A0 or wtver you want to call it. I just spam picked dodge and crit dice and ignored everything else because it sounded like too much setup. No idea how strong her other gimmicks are/how hard they are to setup.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I really enjoyed Astrea's demo during Nextfest, sounds like I gotta pick this up and start losing runs by picking all risky die as a shark man.

Mithross posted:

I found a post on Steam:

"BenStarDev posted:

Some proper announcements on that stuff soon. As always we did try our best, but to set expectations. Not great situation stuff right now, but potentially leading to some really hecking cool stuff in the future that I sadly can't talk about yet. The update has been in a weird situation for a while now due to some not so fun behind the scenes things and I'll try to have an information update on that ready as soon as I can (sometime the next few weeks) But it requires both my and the publishers consent so that is the reason for the current silence. Hope that is understandable, trying to be as transparent as I possibly can be =D
That was on the 14th of this month.
Super vague here, but I'm guessing that maybe they ran out of money and needs to charge for reloaded? I remember a super vague tweet like...two or three months ago where the dev said they didn't want to betray their player base but they had to make a difficult announcement and that might thread the needle for "not fun" but "not calamitous"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
:hmmyes:
Off-topic but had to say I love and totally respect that og Talisman Toad card avatar.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Lite...it hungers~

Munch

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2427050/Munch/

quote:

A dark fantasy 3D action roguelite where you are what you eat! Evolve a creature and fight your way through a nightmarish world. Battle grotesque enemies, munch on their remains, and master new forms and abilities unlocked by your diet. Fight, feed, mutate, repeat!

Fight to survive, then dominate your surroundings

Pick on something your own size as an appetizer, or take on larger foes for the full buffet. Become the predator or remain the prey.

Grow as you consume your victims

Make a meal of your enemies or go vegan and snack on the destructible parts of the world to evolve unique forms and grow stronger.

Explore a nightmarish world

Wander the twisted medieval landscape to discover your place in the hierarchy.

Build up your arsenal of abilities

Gain new traits to unlock new combat strategies based on your diet.

Features
Customizable builds
Melee combat
Single-player
20+ different forms to evolve into

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

giving off some insane cubivore vibes

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Infra Arcana also decided to bust out a meaty update as per fine tradition: v22.1.0

https://sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/

(not counting bugfixes)

quote:

# Backgrounds (classes)
- The Flagellant "moribund" status (low health bonuses) is now applied for a certain duration when taking damage that reduces health to 6 hit points or below (previously it was always active while hit points were below the limit, and ended immediately when restored above the limit). The reason for this change is to allow the player to utilize the effect for a bit even if hit points are immediately restored above the limit (e.g. when using the Shed Impurity spell, see below).
- Flagellants also start with a potion of vitality.
- For Flagellant characters, the number of turns spent is adjusted to a lower value (55% of the original value) when calculating score (Flagellants tend to spend a lot more turns, especially since they must wait every time they walk, so this is a compensation for a more comparable score).

# Traits
- The Galvanization trait only applies regeneration if hit points are lost from casting the spell (mostly/only applicable to the Shed Impurity spell, see below).
- Added unique Flagellant trait "Memento Mori", which raises the threshold of the moribund status to 8 hit points, and increases the duration of the effect by 50%.
- Renamed the "Death Sense" Flagellant trait to "Fervor".
- Treasure Hunter increases items spawned on each floor by 1, instead of 1-2. See also general change to number of items spawned below.
- Improved the Survivalist trait: "You cannot become diseased, only half your wounds count, rounded down (i.e. number of wounds are halved when calculating combat, hit point and regeneration penalties, slower walking speed happens at 6 wounds instead of 3, and you die from 10 wounds instead of 5)".
- Healer is no longer a prerequisite for Survivalist.

# Map generation
- Added a new special level
- When the monsters on the "end level" (no spoilers) becomes aware of the player, a message is printed (to reduce the need for meta knowledge).
- On the Egypt level, when the player is within a certain distance of Khephren, all monsters on the map become aware of the player. A message is printed when this happens.

# Terrain objects
- Hazy Mirrors are now colored gray on the minimap when they have been activated.
- Hazy Mirrors are now also detected by the magic searching effect (the Clairvoyant ability).

# Spells
- Added spell "Shed Impurity" - a unique spell for the Flagellant background, that they start with. The spell lowers hit points to the limit where the Flagellant receives bonuses for having low hit points, and if enough hit points are lost, then some status effects such as poisoning are cured.
- Added a new spell that heals other creatures, available only to monsters.
- The Transmutation spell is now "tenebrous" (temporarily forgotten when cast).
- Reduced the duration of the blindness effect that Light spell causes at higher levels, and increased the spell cost from 2-4 spirit to 3-5.
- Changed Control Object max distance from 2/4/6 to 3/4/5 (for basic/exptert/master).

# Items
- Reworked the Incinerator, it is now called the "Morphic Blaster", and is a Mi-Go weapon that works more like the Electric Gun.
- Potion of Descent can now be used on all levels until "the end" (no spoilers), previously it only worked until a few levels before the end of the game.
- Reduced the weight of spike guns.
- Added a new artifact.

# Monsters
- A few monsters wait for a turn when they see the player and are aware of the player. This only happens once, until the monster loses awareness again. It is intended to avoid some unfair instant deaths by allowing the player a chance to act first (for example Cultists and White Spiders have this behavior).
- White Spider attacks have 20% chance to paralyze instead of 50%.
- Reduced hit points of Ghosts (mainly to allow Flagellant players a better chance to counter them with the Thorns spell)
- Pickman spawn from level 10 instead of 6, and is somewhat rarer.
- Pickman starts with 2-3 Ghouls instead of 4-5.
- Byakhee spawn from level 8 instead of 6, and can only spawn in groups from level 10.
- Mummies can now speak a phrase when they become aware, to alert other monsters.
- When Major Clapham-Lee "calls forth his Tomb-Legions", the summoned monsters now wait a turn instead of acting immediately.
- Tentacle Clusters can spawn randomly on the map (not just from spell side effects etc), although somewhat rarely
- Many updates to the "hound" monsters (Fire Hound, Energy Hound): added more types, added sound effects, changed a lot of their stats.
- Monsters that "breed" (i.e. mold) will not spawn new monsters if the group size is above a certain limit.
- Added more monsters

# Misc balancing
- Reduced XP gained from seeing "terrifying" monsters from 10 to 8, and reduced XP for "mind shattering" monsters from 20 to 15 (rationale: there are more monsters now).
- On average, one less item is spawned on each floor in the mid game (10-19), this is intended to avoid players winning with a huge amount of items in the inventory, without making the early game harder or making exploration less rewarding in the late game. See also Treasure Hunter change above.

# Other changes
- In the game over summary screen, all items are shown with their identified names in the inventory section.
- In the item knowledge section of the character screen ("C" or "@"), the real names of all identifiable items in the game are shown, so it is now possible to know exactly which effects an unidentified benign potion may possibly have, for example.
- Removed the item knowledge section of the game over summary screen.
- Added hint popups with info about status effects, shock level, kicking braziers, and kicking statues.
- The "stagger" messages are now more specific, and describe why the player is staggering ("My wounds cause me to stagger.", or "I stagger under the weight of my carried load.").
- A warning is printed when going over 100% carry weight.
- "Shock" is referred to as "mental shock" when picking background and traits, since it could be confused with some type of shock damage (and this is probably often the first time a new player encounters this term in the game).
- Added info about kick hit chance in the monster descriptions.

# User interface
# Graphics
- Added unique player tiles for each weapon that the player can wield (39 new tiles in total), thanks YARD and Hal from the IA Discord channel!

# Sound
- Added a sound effect for walls collapsing ("Suddenly, the walls collapse!").

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

FishMcCool posted:

:hmmyes:
Off-topic but had to say I love and totally respect that og Talisman Toad card avatar.

Appreciate it! There was some old board game thread where a dude was claiming anyone who liked Talisman had brain damage, but I've gotten a few kind words for my AV so I think that guy in fact had the broken brain!

Re: Infra Arcana, has anyone gotten deep into it? Those updates are really intriguing but I can at best get to like the fifth floor with the stealth guy; I want to find cool magic artifacts and stuff but I'm usually dead before they show up, at least I'm assuming that's the case. And from the patch notes, somehow you go to Egypt??

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Boo, I managed a run to the final boss of Astronarch and he just happened to hard counter my build. I still nearly won despite that, but I'm still pretty unhappy.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Appreciate it! There was some old board game thread where a dude was claiming anyone who liked Talisman had brain damage, but I've gotten a few kind words for my AV so I think that guy in fact had the broken brain!

I wouldn’t say brain damage but it is a very poorly designed game. I hear 4th ed is better, but without expansions even 3rd ed is pretty dire.

Oh this is the roguelike thread. I’m back on my DCSS bullshit and I have been putting off playing ToME in anticipation of the next expansion, but it has been so long…

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
ToME expansion or Big Bia, which will arrive first?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kchama posted:

Boo, I managed a run to the final boss of Astronarch and he just happened to hard counter my build. I still nearly won despite that, but I'm still pretty unhappy.

What happened?

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Magitek posted:

lost lands is literally never going to release, so bia by default

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Chakan posted:

I wouldn’t say brain damage but it is a very poorly designed game. I hear 4th ed is better, but without expansions even 3rd ed is pretty dire.

Oh this is the roguelike thread. I’m back on my DCSS bullshit and I have been putting off playing ToME in anticipation of the next expansion, but it has been so long…

Yes, I mean, I like Talisman in spite of the design because it has a lot of other stuff going for it, the art, the thousands of possible encounters, the narrative that ends up unwinding as you play so by the end you have a story with memorable incidents. I'd never claim it to be well balanced on the level of a Euro game, but I don't remember what happened in those games after a day or two, and I've played hundreds of them.

For the truly depraved ameritrash Talisman fans, there's an Insane Clown Posse themed version called the Quest for Shangri-la which replaces the fantasy stuff with, well, a different flavor of fantasy, the outer board being Detroit and you get weed and guns instead of swords while you battle wrestlers and other weirdos from the Juggalo canon. To get to the middle board, you have to pay a crocodile who will let you cross a river of blood. Highly recommended if that sounds up your alley; it's almost outsider art.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Magitek posted:

Same time. Same game, in fact. It's a surprise crossover

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ToME5 will come out before Lost Lands does

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Okay yeah I think I misjudged Austra a bit. :v:

Don't get me wrong, I still think her randomness is a bit frustrating. I lost a heart myself with a random target confuse 12 through smoke bomb; this required a 25% chance to target me, a 50% chance to roll corruption, a 25% chance to bypass smoke bomb, and a 90% chance to actually hit. Which is like...a 3% chance? So that sucked.

But anyways, I did her meteor build again and I think what I've hit on is that you can't force it. You can't just pick a bunch of Sky Piercer and hope that things work out. You need ways to avoid unlucky corruption via dodge or smoke bomb or blessings, and you probably need to start with the meteor dice that actually do something, namely the ones that let you draw/inflict serenity while raining meteors, especially because those are still useful even if the build works out. The blessings honestly make it kinda busted if you can put it together, because I ended up with a build that hit me with light shield every time I corrupted an opponent and gave them a serenity every time they overcorrupted, which basically turned most overcorrupts into "do no damage, take 1 more purification from all sources" and that got obscenely powerful really quickly.

I still think Hevelius is kinda busted, but I'm at least fine with putting Austra on the same level as Cellarius or Moonie.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Arzaac posted:

Okay yeah I think I misjudged Austra a bit. :v:

Don't get me wrong, I still think her randomness is a bit frustrating. I lost a heart myself with a random target confuse 12 through smoke bomb; this required a 25% chance to target me, a 50% chance to roll corruption, a 25% chance to bypass smoke bomb, and a 90% chance to actually hit. Which is like...a 3% chance? So that sucked.

But anyways, I did her meteor build again and I think what I've hit on is that you can't force it. You can't just pick a bunch of Sky Piercer and hope that things work out. You need ways to avoid unlucky corruption via dodge or smoke bomb or blessings, and you probably need to start with the meteor dice that actually do something, namely the ones that let you draw/inflict serenity while raining meteors, especially because those are still useful even if the build works out. The blessings honestly make it kinda busted if you can put it together, because I ended up with a build that hit me with light shield every time I corrupted an opponent and gave them a serenity every time they overcorrupted, which basically turned most overcorrupts into "do no damage, take 1 more purification from all sources" and that got obscenely powerful really quickly.

I still think Hevelius is kinda busted, but I'm at least fine with putting Austra on the same level as Cellarius or Moonie.

Austra's damage scales exceptionally well due to crit, flat damage bonuses and multi-attacks. I had a run with her yesterday which was an absolute breeze -- the early game was cake due to bonus damage blessings and some Electrostatic Field dice to pinpoint randomly-targeted damage like her starter trait. By the end I had 28-52% crit chance, +6 bonus damage and numerous Thunderstorm, Lightning and heavy randomly-targeted nuke dice. The Act 3 boss encounter and beyond all ended on either turn 1 or moments into turn 2.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Dear lord, the last char in Astrea is complicated to manage turns with. I am def not smart enough to do anything other than cast my orb 30 billion times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Astronarch, I am fundamentally not understanding this game. I've beaten asc 0 and 1 leaning entirely on the paladin and just kind of die without him but all the tier lists say he's terrible. I sort of just play it like TFT prioritizing a main carry and a main tank then giving overflow to my other units but maybe I'm not understanding how these units all scale idk.