Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: the Leftovers season two's soundtrack. The Richter piece is great, but I think that perhaps they could have used it less, or had him compose more original material? But I'm not a fan of what they were doing with the music selection that season, I've got to say.

There's at least two -- I want to say three -- covers of Where Is My Mind, and they all play very early in the season, pretty sure within a two episode span on each other. Not great.

Red Oktober posted:

I started watching it specially because Bear McCready does the soundtrack.

You mean Max Richter, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Open Source Idiom posted:

You mean Max Richter, right?

I hit quote on the wrong post - Bear did Outlander on the post above. Max is fantastic though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think about Idiom’s wrong opinions on The Leftovers and then I simply cannot calm down for the rest of the day

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Veronica Mars is a better show than I remember in the early seasons at least. The revival didn't help my opinion of the show but rewatching early episodes and it's got its hooks in deep

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's weird seeing Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith show up for cameos

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Sometimes I think about Idiom’s wrong opinions on The Leftovers and then I simply cannot calm down for the rest of the day

[walks into thread wearing all white clothes and holding a placard that reads: "MATT EPISODES BETTER THAN NORA EPISODES"]

[smokes aggressively]

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Careful now

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Doing a rewatch of Schitt's Creek. As enjoyable as the show is, I think it would be 50% better if they had either recasted or minimized Roland Schitt's role. The character is dead weight outside of a few bits.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Really enjoying Deadloch

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Really enjoying Deadloch

Yes! Deadloch is one of my favorite new shows of the year, and made me realize I might have a thing for tall women with Australian accents.

Let us know your thoughts when you finish it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Deadloch owned. Highly recommended.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Due to how much I liked 'This Fool'....I decided to watch the co-creators show 'Corporate' on Comedy Central. Again....liked it alot. The second season in particular was great. Really funny and dark. The third and final season (only six episodes) was a jarring swing in both tone and style. First few episodes I didn't care for much at all. But they got better as they went and the finale was 10/10 perfect....unlike the finale of 'Society Tomorrow'.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Hughmoris posted:

Yes! Deadloch is one of my favorite new shows of the year, and made me realize I might have a thing for tall women with Australian accents.

Let us know your thoughts when you finish it.

I had a long flight and finished it last night. I really enjoyed it overall. I really enjoyed the chemistry between the two leads and the only weak part was the seal, which felt unnecessary.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Veronica Mars is a better show than I remember in the early seasons at least. The revival didn't help my opinion of the show but rewatching early episodes and it's got its hooks in deep

Oooh I've caught up on most of our "currently airing stuff" and need something for my commute and a rewatch of this feels right.

We just finished a binge of the Rookie (Nathan Fillion rookie cop) and I'm not sure the title is as accurate anymore. Still an fun time but it is pretty scared to tackle the negative side of policing. It definitely presents every cop (bar like, 1 or 2) as incorruptible paragons.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

As an Australian i'm glad you enjoy the accent, I think it's terrible

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Spiteski posted:

Oooh I've caught up on most of our "currently airing stuff" and need something for my commute and a rewatch of this feels right.

We just finished a binge of the Rookie (Nathan Fillion rookie cop) and I'm not sure the title is as accurate anymore. Still an fun time but it is pretty scared to tackle the negative side of policing. It definitely presents every cop (bar like, 1 or 2) as incorruptible paragons.

It's god awful Copaganda

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Finished season 3 of The Leftovers, and other than the finale, which was great, I feel like it was a big step down from season 2. After season 2 I felt like I wished we'd spent more time with the characters just living normal lives in between all the crazy poo poo, and the time skip here only intensified that feeling. But then alongside feeling like it was overly rushed as a season/series, I also felt like some episodes were even more deliberately paced than episodes in previous seasons. Honestly I think I might have it at 2 > 1 > 3, but the finale being one of the very best parts of the series (and probably one of the best series finales I've seen) makes it hard to be happy with that ranking.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 28, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Finished season 3 of The Leftovers, and other than the finale, which was great, I feel like it was a big step down from season 2. After season 2 I felt like I wished we'd spent more time with the characters just living normal lives in between all the crazy poo poo, and the time skip here only intensified that feeling. But then alongside feeling like it was overly rushed as a season/series, I also felt like some episodes were even more deliberately paced than episodes in previous seasons. Honestly I think I might have it at 2 > 1 > 3, but the finale being one of the very best parts of the series (and probably one of the best series finales I've seen) makes it hard to be happy with that ranking.

Season 2 was so good. If I had to rank the seasons I'd go 2 > 3 > 1. It is such a heavy show and it puts me in a weird mood but I love it.

I'm tempted to check out The Gilded Age on the strength of Carrie Coon alone.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
She was a main character in one of the seasons of Fargo, and she was absolutely fantastic in it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Station 11 is from one of the writers on The Leftovers. Very similar vibe.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Reservation Dogs just had their series finale and it was really fantastic. The entire run of the show was excellent and I recommend it highly. I don't see a thread for it, unfortunately, but it has some of the best performances and writing I have seen in any recent show.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Irish drama/comedy The Dry was really good. Recently sober alcoholic woman moves back with her family in her home town. I cried, I laughed, I laughed and cried. Loved Ciarán Hinds as the dad, but every character was good and well acted tbh.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Ishamael posted:

Reservation Dogs just had their series finale and it was really fantastic. The entire run of the show was excellent and I recommend it highly. I don't see a thread for it, unfortunately, but it has some of the best performances and writing I have seen in any recent show.

Very much agreed. Sad to see the show go, but what a fantastic run. I also appreciate the show for introducing me to Lily Gladstone before she completely explodes once Killers of the Flower Moon releases.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Finished outlander. Wish I was 10 years younger and still able to devour 800+ page books in a week because I would totally get on the books, especially since it looks like the show is going to end before the books do (only one boom remaining, if I remember correctly). Would love to see how the books differ from the show

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ishamael posted:

I felt like the end of Season 2, the one where they make it to Cali with Daniel's letter and wind up singing Tom Petty on the water was the right way to go, but if they got another season out of it, i'm glad.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Very much agreed. Sad to see the show go, but what a fantastic run. I also appreciate [Reservation Dogs] for introducing me to Lily Gladstone before she completely explodes once Killers of the Flower Moon releases.

Oh, right! Yeah, I plan to see KofFM when it releases, and saw her name on ads, but didn't think about it.

Her monologue at the beginning of the last episode, where she uses junk food to analogize the shared burden of holding a dead member's memory across a community, sounds incredibly cliche on paper but stabs you in the heart on screen. The show hits pretty hard when it has to.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Titus whatever his name left his impression on me in Deadwood, so I’ve been binging Bosch. It’s the first season and it’s already hilarious how much action revolves around this one dept, but that’s unavoidable in this type of show.

I like how it opens with the lead being literally on trial for being a douchebag shoot first ask questions later cop, but then (so far) faces zero consequences for continuing his behavior. His ex wife is a freaking expert profiler is just hilariously convenient.

I’m about done with S1 I think, is this worth continuing or is it just diminished returns? I’m enjoying Lt. Daniels as always.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

It's god awful Copaganda

Yea that's totally fair. I like Nathan Fillion and the rest of the cast though and it's pretty light watching so I've kept trundling through with the Mrs.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Titus whatever his name left his impression on me in Deadwood, so I’ve been binging Bosch. It’s the first season and it’s already hilarious how much action revolves around this one dept, but that’s unavoidable in this type of show.

I like how it opens with the lead being literally on trial for being a douchebag shoot first ask questions later cop, but then (so far) faces zero consequences for continuing his behavior. His ex wife is a freaking expert profiler is just hilariously convenient.

I’m about done with S1 I think, is this worth continuing or is it just diminished returns? I’m enjoying Lt. Daniels as always.

Bosch is actually pretty great. It's copaganda and very much a "dad show," but it's one of the better cop/detective shows to come out in recent years. My wife and I always enjoyed it. The fact that they film on location in Los Angeles really adds to the atmosphere, and all the taco trucks and local restaurants they visit always make me hungry.

The supporting cast grows on you, and it is full of familiar actors from The Wire and other good shows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The show's always going to be kind of silly, so if season 1 isn't working for you that's not likely to change, but I definitely wouldn't say it's downhill from there either. I enjoyed watching the whole series this year, but it's not one of the best shows I've watched this year, it's kind of in a middle ground between genuinely good and just another cop show. Or it's a good version of just another cop show, idk.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

I felt like the end of Season 2, the one where they make it to Cali with Daniel's letter and wind up singing Tom Petty on the water was the right way to go, but if they got another season out of it, i'm glad.

The end of s2 does wrap up the main plot that they started in S1, but the third season is really well done and is almost like an extended coda for the characters and the community. Everyone gets a chance to shine and there are some wonderful bits. Recommend checking it out if you have any interest.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ishamael posted:

The end of s2 does wrap up the main plot that they started in S1, but the third season is really well done and is almost like an extended coda for the characters and the community. Everyone gets a chance to shine and there are some wonderful bits. Recommend checking it out if you have any interest.

I loved some of the episodes that feel like you're hanging out with Big and Uncle Brownie and all of them so yeah i'll watch it eventually

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bosch is the best cop show ever made. In the sense that it wants you to believe Harry Bosch is a good guy despite being a cop. But accepting that premise, Harry Bosch is a very good guy, and his adventures are interesting.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks all. I’m glad my boy Bosch doesn’t go full chud as the years go on.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:allears: This sort of makes me want some updates from you. It's a good show!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Righteous Gemstones season 3 was a full on hoot, I liked it more than any of the previous seasons. It really came into its own and ended in a satisfying way that could be the series finale if they really want it to be. Everyone is just operating on such a high level. I was dismayed at first that there was no Baby Billy in the first few, then here comes Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers to lift me up. Walton Goggins forever.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rappaport posted:

:allears: This sort of makes me want some updates from you. It's a good show!

Haha I’ll post my thoughts for each season if I don’t get wildly sidetracked! I’m still sad his crazy hot redhead cop ex gf was the ultimate acab, maybe that character can grow and learn :thunk:

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

one is the weakest season.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Yeah but it's Hollywood division, poo poo goes on in Hollywood.

Also it's based in a crime book series, so of course his ex wife is an ex expert profiler. The later seasons are better, but he's just a murder police who can't let poo poo go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched the third series of Only Murders in the Building. It's still charming and enjoyable and very bingeable thanks to the brevity of its episodes, but I feel the murder mystery aspect of it has steadily given way to the showcasing of big names as guest stars, one of which was weird since he's, you know, an actual murderer. It's also getting harder and harder for Selena Gomez to emote with her face or her voice, which I found increasingly distracting.

Also watched Ahsoka. I am completely unfamiliar with the characters and their stories, more so than I was with previous Star Wars series, so it's hard for me to tell how fanservicy some of the stuff was but I felt it had a solid production, cast and script as far as Star Wars goes. It feels pretty close in style and content to the three movies it's set right after. I always wonder, if a young person were to consume all the media in the Star Wars franchise in order of plot, wouldn't they be really confused by the huge changes in quality, going from unwatchable trash to genre-defining sci-fi and back again a couple of times?