Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/RinKarigani/status/1705846807354315068
He's worn Givenchy before without it meaning anything I just liked the tinfoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like I'm insane, because G'raha doesn't really make that much of an impression on me, good or bad. He's around, and he's like fine. I don't really notice him being like clingy at all, he's just there.

Weirdly, while there's characters I do put in this 'never does anything strong enough to make any impression' category (Krile and Erenville come to mind most clearly; naturally, most other examples don't), and functionally speaking G'raha should be in this space, it feels like there's a very different energy when they clearly want me to like this fairly inoffensive character and do a lot of work towards that, but not towards making them interesting.

It's like, passive blandness against active blandness, if that makes sense. It's the same reason I really hate when the protagonist of a game is its least interesting character.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zeruel posted:

that's me with hauchefant to be honest. it didnt help that his introduction was him leering at my female character.

I've heard Haurchefant is substantially toned down in the English localization compared to other languages, and I should probably try to hunt down a side-by-side. I didn't find him particularly bad in English, but what I've heard about the other versions sounds insufferable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think I remember a cutscene where Haurchefant said something like "share the warmth of my hearth" while the camera panned over to the shirtless soldiers doing squats in the corner and that showed me his priorities

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cleretic posted:

Weirdly, while there's characters I do put in this 'never does anything strong enough to make any impression' category (Krile and Erenville come to mind most clearly; naturally, most other examples don't), and functionally speaking G'raha should be in this space, it feels like there's a very different energy when they clearly want me to like this fairly inoffensive character and do a lot of work towards that, but not towards making them interesting.

It's like, passive blandness against active blandness, if that makes sense. It's the same reason I really hate when the protagonist of a game is its least interesting character.

Part of this may be that I had already so completely mentally rejected the idea of my WoL being romantically involved with a man that it doesn't even register to me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

G'raha's got the same problem to me as the 'canon' romance choice in any game with multiple romance options

There are no romance choices in FF14.

Well there was 1 but Yoshi P sent me a certificate saying I'm the only one that can date Estinien so we're back down to 0.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Antivehicular posted:

I've heard Haurchefant is substantially toned down in the English localization compared to other languages, and I should probably try to hunt down a side-by-side. I didn't find him particularly bad in English, but what I've heard about the other versions sounds insufferable.

He's arguably a better character in the Japanese version. Comes on a little stronger, but he's also a lot more animated and emotive.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Antivehicular posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zMMLv3bno&t=2091s

Prior to Heavensward, Haurchefant was a bit...well, yeah

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Waffleman_ posted:

Part of this may be that I had already so completely mentally rejected the idea of my WoL being romantically involved with a man that it doesn't even register to me.

So have I, but I think that just adds extra repellant for me when I know the intention of 'you can read a romantic interest into this' rather than making it easier to ignore.

Like, I was never in any world going to like Emet or Zenos, but being aware of that angle just knocks them even further down. And characters that otherwise would probably leave me neutral like Haurchefant and G'raha drop specifically because of that, and it doesn't even help the characters I do like; in this case that's pretty much just Aymeric, but he's gone form 'cool guy, I like him' to being just a little annoying every time he turns up.

I'm not sure how I'd react to them doing the same with a female character, because the sample size there is so much lower; just going by Y'shtola, I feel like it wouldn't bother me but I would be more interested in them having that romantic subtext being oriented towards another NPC instead of the WoL.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 25, 2023

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bruceski posted:

He had Resting Betrayal Face to me so I read all of his actions in the most cynical, Romulan-esque way possible. "Haurchefant really put everything on the line to convince Father to allow you here" yeah I bet he did. Bet he told you not to tell me that, too.

This was me with Aymeric. The minute we met him I was sure he was going to betray us to the pope and Lahabrea.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

idc about g'raha but the game is rather lacking in terms of both friendly rivals and good guys who despite being good just don't care for the wol, which are both fun dynamics, and imo that lack of friction makes how much everyone else likes you a little more cloying. almost every time someone dislikes the wol they're literally evil or misguided, let an otherwise upstanding character just find our whole deal loving annoying

luckily a good chunk of that can be chalked up to the fact that the last expansion was "every single character from every single main quest, raid series, trial series, and job quest pile into the MSQ for one HUGE fight against an existential threat" and a lot of it narratively was about choosing to trust and support other people because life is inherently fragile and we should all stand together, while the next expansion has us likely to be sincerely well-meaning interlopers in a land and conflict we don't really understand, so there's a lot of room to put more low-level personal conflict with well-intentioned NPCs in

Valentin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 25, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
FWIW, and I am and play my WoL as aro, I just read him as a bit extra (eventually adding "To make up for the political poo poo he's had to deal with") and the squat thing was just an amusing background event kind of like how sometimes characters would talk in the background.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So have I, but I think that just adds extra repellant for me when I know the intentioon of 'you can read a romantic interest into this' rather than making it easier to ignore.

Like, I was never in any world going to like Emet or Zenos, but being aware of that angle just knocks them even further down. And characters that otherwise would probably leave me neutral like Haurchefant and G'raha drop specifically because of that, and it doesn't even help the characters I do like; in this case that's pretty much just Aymeric, but he's gone form 'cool guy, I like him' to being just a little annoying every time he turns up.

I'm not sure how I'd react to them doing the same with a female character, because the sample size there is so much lower; just going by Y'shtola, I feel like it wouldn't bother me but I would be more interested in them having that romantic subtext being oriented towards another NPC instead of the WoL.

I guess I'm confused by this statement because it happens with female characters all the time. Like I can't count how many NPCs or even major characters flirt with the WoL or at least have dialogue that can be read as flirting as much as friendship.

Edit: If we're just talking about the scions it doesn't come up as often because weirdly enough all the major female NPCs in the current Scions except for Y'shtola are children or Lalafell and even then you can pretty easily read Alisae as having a childish crush on your character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 25, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valentin posted:

idc about g'raha but the game is rather lacking in terms of both friendly rivals and good guys who despite being good just don't care for the wol, which are both fun dynamics, and imo that lack of friction makes how much everyone else likes you a little more cloying. almost every time someone dislikes the wol they're literally evil or misguided, let an otherwise upstanding character just find our whole deal loving annoying

That's why the coolest character in FFXIV is that one Ala Mhigan guy in Ul Dah who calls the WoL out for being a tool of the Syndicates.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The coolest character in Ffxiv is the guy who says ‘Ishgard remembers, WoL’ and then blows up a wall with a cannon

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Firebert posted:

The coolest character in Ffxiv is the guy who says ‘Ishgard remembers, WoL’ and then blows up a wall with a cannon

Truth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm confused by this statement because it happens with female characters all the time. Like I can't count how many NPCs or even major characters flirt with the WoL or at least have dialogue that can be read as flirting as much as friendship.

I dunno, I might be kinda blind to the stuff that's on a lower scale than 'obvious shipping bait' on the level of G'raha or Haurchefant. That level in particular is definitely really male-dominated, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I might be kinda blind to the stuff that's on a lower scale than 'obvious shipping bait' on the level of G'raha or Haurchefant. That level in particular is definitely really male-dominated, though.

I guess I have to disagree because to me the level of which they blatantly push Y'shtola as a 'ship bait' is more than G'raha ever was. She's targeting a different demographic but her threatening to 'put you over her knee' or being shown naked multiple times or having scenes where books adorably fall on her head or whatever is so blunt and obvious that it's absurd.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think Y'shtola is pushed towards the player more than she is pushed towards the WoL, if that makes sense.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I think Y'shtola is pushed towards the player more than she is pushed towards the WoL, if that makes sense.

Yep. She's the team mom, and there's an enormous number of people who play this game who are into that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Firebert posted:

That dude too

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

Yep. She's the team mom, and there's an enormous number of people who play this game who are into that.

Um, I think you will find Urianger is the Team Mom.

Y’shtola is the wine aunt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I get what you mean but I'm not sure the same isn't true of the other characters. Like I would argue a lot of Emet Selch stuff is not connected to how he acts to the WoL but how people feel about the character based off his actions/the short stories/the convenient Azem excuse. (Zenos, now, Zenos is absolutely WoL fightfucksexual)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I barely notice anything from Y'shtola, half the time it feels like she doesn't want to be near the rest of the Scions (WoL included) because it takes time away from her real work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I have to disagree because to me the level of which they blatantly push Y'shtola as a 'ship bait' is more than G'raha ever was. She's targeting a different demographic but her threatening to 'put you over her knee' or being shown naked multiple times or having scenes where books adorably fall on her head or whatever is so blunt and obvious that it's absurd.

Yes, congratulations, you named the one female character that I agreed, in that earlier post, does get that sort of treatment, although I'd instead point to the Stormblood short story that basically directly said Y'shtola at least briefly thought of the WoL like that. And who I think they backed away on using like that as time went on; she's more put with other characters than us now, and is better for it, I find her and Runar or Zero more engaging than her and the WoL. All that's compared to at least five guys, reasonably probably more.

Alphinaud and Alisaie are edge cases, but either they both count or neither do, so they cancel each other out anyway.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 25, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yes, congratulations, you named the one female character that I agreed, in that earlier post, does get that sort of treatment. (And who I think they backed away on using like that as time went on; she's more put with other characters than us now, and is better for it.) That's compared to at least five guys, reasonably probably more.

Alphinaud and Alisaie are edge cases but either they both count or neither do, so they cancel each other out anyway.

Most of the stuff I mentioned is literally from the 6.x patches so they really haven't.

And it's elsewhere too. Like Lyse had a lot of stuff in Stormblood that felt flirty and the big ol' "let's spar" thing people were calling flirty from the moment the CGI trailer came out. Minfilia had stuff too. And then there's characters like Sadu and Hilda who are super straightforward about their flirting and the only reason I wouldn't consider Sadu on the same tier is becasue she is currently quite happy with her Mol girlfriend last we saw.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Asahi seems nice. Good to see a normal-rear end garlean for once in a while

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well there was 1 but Yoshi P sent me a certificate saying I'm the only one that can date Estinien so we're back down to 0.

:hmmyes:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

"Obvious shipping bait" is in the eye of the beholder. What one person sees as presentation of a character as a romantic interest can be seen by others as a humanization of the character. The human tendency for pattern recognition tends to work in weird ways and attempts to see things that might not even be intended by the writer.

Anyway there isn't a point in getting too worked up about 'shipping' in this case because given the WoL could very well be married to someone throughout all this, so even if there is 'obvious shipping bait' it is never going to evolve beyond that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

At the end of the day shipping bait is just bait and you can bite or not. It’s really not a big deal.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

goblin week posted:

Asahi seems nice. Good to see a normal-rear end garlean for once in a while

whatever. gently caress me i guess

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

goblin week posted:

:allears:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If Square ever starts pulling funding to CBU3, Yoshi-P just needs to start auctioning off "Official Romantic Partner of X NPC" certificates. Valid and binding on social media!

Firebert posted:

ngl I really liked this moment the first time I ran that dungeon, it's a good set piece

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

goblin week posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Yes, congratulations, you named the one female character that I agreed, i

As always with your bad takes, all you have to do is read the text in game and you'd know you're wrong.

ImpAtom posted:

Most of the stuff I mentioned is literally from the 6.x patches so they really haven't.

And it's elsewhere too. Like Lyse had a lot of stuff in Stormblood that felt flirty and the big ol' "let's spar" thing people were calling flirty from the moment the CGI trailer came out. Minfilia had stuff too. And then there's characters like Sadu and Hilda who are super straightforward about their flirting and the only reason I wouldn't consider Sadu on the same tier is becasue she is currently quite happy with her Mol girlfriend last we saw.

Remembering the Valentine's Day event with the Adventuring Guild heads and all of Mother Miounne's dialogue was just her being shocked you'd be into an older woman but also she was very flattered.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Antivehicular posted:

If Square ever starts pulling funding to CBU3, Yoshi-P just needs to start auctioning off "Official Romantic Partner of X NPC" certificates. Valid and binding on social media!

The highest final bids go to Emet, G'raha, Estinien, and weirdly Minfilia.

Well, either that or Minfilia doesn't sell because the Minfilia fans have been so deep into their own fanfiction hole for so long that they recognize the certificate would hold no value.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the only scion i've ever actively hated was Lyse

everyone else is good to great

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kerrzhe posted:

the only scion i've ever actively hated was Lyse

everyone else is good to great

Minfilia and Papalymo were terrible.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Papalymo doesn't have enough character to form an opinion on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Minfilia and Papalymo were terrible.

you're right about Minfilia, it's been so long and she redeemed herself later by dying and never coming back

papalymo i liked and was sad when the same happened to him