Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Interesting that the recall inspection procedure doesn’t call for inspecting the NDS arm for Ultegra. https://youtu.be/mKMKsbts3t8?si=cQiH_KIPFrfQC7bV
I didn’t know that those arms were hollow forged, not bonded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

corona familiar posted:

all cars are bad and antisocial by design tbh. you can minimize but not eliminate the damage

drat two thread titles in as many pages

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

that's loving amazing

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

So many great details on this :3:

Heliosicle posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if ankling is my problem really, but I do have tight hips from sitting most of the day which the cranks could help with. Will order some and see how it goes.
Do I need to make any fit changes to compensate for the shorter length? My first guess is raising the saddle 7.5mm, but the centre of rotation hasn't changed so maybe I don't need to do anything

I switched the cranks a few weeks ago, put the saddle up by the 7.5mm, and promptly had a load of muscle strain behind my knees from over-extension.
After a bit of trial and error I'm now comfortable at about 1mm over my previous saddle height, so no change basically.
Not entirely sure why, but this article https://bikedynamics.co.uk/FitGuidecranks.htm suggests that if your position is already good little-to-no change should be needed.

Anyway, its been a great change so far. My hips feel so much more comfortable and I can get low without kneeing myself or my hips feeling like they're disconnecting from the pedal stroke at the top.

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 24, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I do get that above the knee strain a lot too.. what's usually the culprit for that, bike fit wise? Everything else seems comfy, but when I try to put power down I feel a lot of weird twinges and pain there if I'm not super careful with keeping my muscles around the knee tense and supportive of it

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mederlock posted:

Oh, I do get that above the knee strain a lot too.. what's usually the culprit for that, bike fit wise? Everything else seems comfy, but when I try to put power down I feel a lot of weird twinges and pain there if I'm not super careful with keeping my muscles around the knee tense and supportive of it

At the front or back of the knee?

If it’s the back, sounds like your saddle might be too high, but impossible to say really without seeing you.

Easy to try dropping it 10mm or so and going for a ride.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I had really bad knee pain that made me worry about continuing to be able to ride maybe 5+ years ago when I was training 10+ hours a week. I did a lot of stretching back then too and loosening my IT worked to a point.

I ended up going with shorter cranks and I haven't had similar issues since.

My legs still get super tight sometimes, I need to start stretching again, but this time round it goes all the way down my leg and makes my toes so stiff I can barely move them for a day until they loosen up.

Also I'm getting old. :corsair:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

At the front or back of the knee?

If it’s the back, sounds like your saddle might be too high, but impossible to say really without seeing you.

Easy to try dropping it 10mm or so and going for a ride.

Front only

E: I should add I'm already using 165mm cranks

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Think I might build up a surly midnight special with grx. Kinda researching wheels and stuff what are some good all road / road focused 650b wheels I should be looking at? Compatible with tubeless and 47c tires

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 24, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

A MIRACLE posted:

Think I might build up a surly midnight special with grx. Kinda researching wheels and stuff what are some good all road / road focused 650b wheels I should be looking at? Compatible with tubeless and 47c tires

if you’re looking for budget higher end wheels look for some older non-boost 27.5 mountain bike wheels, there was a couple year window where that was a thing and would be all but useless on anything but a gravel bike now

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

e.pilot posted:

if you’re looking for budget higher end wheels look for some older non-boost 27.5 mountain bike wheels, there was a couple year window where that was a thing and would be all but useless on anything but a gravel bike now

You could run into an incompatibility with 100x15mm mountain wheels vs. 100x12mm road fork. I don't know if the surly dropouts will allow a 15mm hub with an adapter tube.

this reminds me I have a 100x15 hub to sell because the fork on my black mountain definitely would not allow this

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

A MIRACLE posted:

I would in retrospect avoid GRX for my own use case. I just don't understand the point of making a proprietary chainring and then not making a bunch of sizes. I would understand if they were trying to make money by being the only place selling different rings, but shimano only offers two sizes.

Wolftooth makes a few GRX asymmetric 110 BCD rings but they've been sold out of the largest and smallest sizes for as long as I've been checking. They still have the shimano-offered sizes 40/42 in stock because lol of course but if you want anything else its going to be a while and another $80.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Not married to grx, open to 105, or… idk. I could do sram I’m just kinda wanting a 2x

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Clark Nova posted:

You could run into an incompatibility with 100x15mm mountain wheels vs. 100x12mm road fork. I don't know if the surly dropouts will allow a 15mm hub with an adapter tube.

this reminds me I have a 100x15 hub to sell because the fork on my black mountain definitely would not allow this

you can get a spacer, unless the fork has something weird going on with the dropouts it will work

2 of my gravel wheelsets are non-boost 29er wheels, they work great

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, my fork has a little lip around the dropouts that only allows a 12mm hub to fit cleanly. I'd hope surly would make their poo poo more compatible but it's definitely something to figure out before buying anything

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Winspace has some 650B wheels I think that are likely decently rolling and decently well built.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Mederlock posted:

Front only

E: I should add I'm already using 165mm cranks

Front can be a lot of individual areas and causes. If it's front-centre moving down then probably patella/tendon related. Best to see a (cycling) physio for knee related things IME, since the origins can be hard to work out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The range of commonly available crank sizes is weirdly narrow.

If we assume that hundred and seventy five millimetre cranks are appropriate for a person five foot eleven inches in height (one point eight metres), cranks of one hundred and sixty‐five millimetres would be appropriate for someone who is five foot seven inches (one point seven metres).

I’m not saying that even shorter cranks are the answer to all fit troubles, but I am saying that they shouldn’t be so niche. One in four American men is shorter than five foot seven inches and nine in ten American women are.

Or maybe short people are actually using perfect cranks, and it is tall people who could make good use of longer ones.

In either event, if it’s likely that a random sample of thirty people will have the extremes differing by more than twenty percent in height, why is it that the longest cranks in the shop are only six percent longer than the shortest?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Because correct crank length does not scale linearly with height?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Platystemon posted:

The range of commonly available crank sizes is weirdly narrow.

If we assume that hundred and seventy five millimetre cranks are appropriate for a person five foot eleven inches in height (one point eight metres), cranks of one hundred and sixty‐five millimetres would be appropriate for someone who is five foot seven inches (one point seven metres).

I’m not saying that even shorter cranks are the answer to all fit troubles, but I am saying that they shouldn’t be so niche. One in four American men is shorter than five foot seven inches and nine in ten American women are.

Or maybe short people are actually using perfect cranks, and it is tall people who could make good use of longer ones.

In either event, if it’s likely that a random sample of thirty people will have the extremes differing by more than twenty percent in height, why is it that the longest cranks in the shop are only six percent longer than the shortest?

There are huge assumptions in your argument.

Variations in height don’t necessitate different crank lengths, and neither do leg lengths.

There is a very small range which is about right for almost all humans, the first modern geared bicycles got it pretty much right. I suspect a default of 170 suits more people than the 175 my bikes all came with, and I’d say that bigger cranks than that should be special order if anything.

You can compare to road bike handlebar widths; 99% of men should probably be on a 40cm or 38cm bar by modern fitting standards, as the shoulder joint widths (end of collarbone) just don’t vary that much, even in vastly different sized people.

People use narrower bars for aero reasons, but few men need 36cm or below. Bikes above a medium all come with 42, 44cm bars by default that almost noone needs, though some people want them because they’re used to it or want to be like the pros from 1980s.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Speaking of handlebar width, I had my first issue-free ride in what feels like ages yesterday, which I attribute to switching to (even) narrower bars. I went down to the 36 cm version of these last week to try and finally fix the median nerve issues I've had in my left hand for the last year or so (going down from 40 cm wide bars without a flare, with a shoulder width of 40-41 cm but somewhat valgus elbows) and it worked! My fingers still start tingling after ~30-40 minutes, but switching to the drops for a few minutes makes the feeling subside entirely and yesterday the tingling didn't even return after 4-5 hours in the saddle. So finally no (real) saddle soreness, no numbness in my left hand, no back pain! What's more is it was a ~300 TSS ride with 6:08 elapsed time of which 5:41 was spent moving, so I'm optimistic about my fit for the first time in a long time, maybe even forever :woop:

anyway, more actual ride reports to come soon (:justpost: I know...) from when I climbed the Cormet de Roselend and the Col de la Loze a while back. I've been meaning to post about those for months, but some personal stuff came up

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 25, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vando posted:

Because correct crank length does not scale linearly with height?

Ignoring the significant fact that terrain features are sized irrespective of anthropometry, why wouldn’t cranks be a linear function of leg proportions and thus roughly with height?
I know there’s that study that shows humans seem very adaptable to power output over varied crank length, but I think it’s more a business decision than anything else to ask a person a head shorter than be to run an extreme hip angle on a crank 2.5mm shorter than mine.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

kimbo305 posted:

Ignoring the significant fact that terrain features are sized irrespective of anthropometry, why wouldn’t cranks be a linear function of leg proportions and thus roughly with height?
I know there’s that study that shows humans seem very adaptable to power output over varied crank length, but I think it’s more a business decision than anything else to ask a person a head shorter than be to run an extreme hip angle on a crank 2.5mm shorter than mine.

It's definitely a business decision but I was reading OP as asking why we don't see 155mm and 180mm cranks, I guess if the question is 'why are pretty much all new bikes shipping with 172.5mm cranks, maybe 170mm or 175mm if you pick XS or XL' then yes that particular window is unacceptably narrow and crank length should be available as a buyer specced option way more often.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vando posted:

asking why we don't see 155mm and 180mm cranks, I

guess if the question is 'why are pretty much all new bikes shipping with 172.5mm cranks, maybe 170mm or 175mm if you pick XS or XL'
then yes that particular window is unacceptably narrow and crank length should be available as a buyer specced option way more often.

I think those are the same sentiment? If 172.5 is normal for my height, then someone who's proportional to my body but 5' tall would warrant 148mm cranks.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

kimbo305 posted:

I think those are the same sentiment? If 172.5 is normal for my height, then someone who's proportional to my body but 5' tall would warrant 148mm cranks.

No, because optimal crank length is not proportional to height. Remember that when you change crank length you're not changing crank length alone, you're most likely modifying at least saddle height at the same time to compensate. It's about power delivery more than sizing on the bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Lex Neville posted:

Speaking of handlebar width, I had my first issue-free ride in what feels like ages yesterday, which I attribute to switching to (even) narrower bars. I went down to the 36 cm version of these last week to try and finally fix the median nerve issues I've had in my left hand for the last year or so (going down from 40 cm wide bars without a flare, with a shoulder width of 40-41 cm but somewhat valgus elbows) and it worked! My fingers still start tingling after ~30-40 minutes, but switching to the drops for a few minutes makes the feeling subside entirely and yesterday the tingling didn't even return after 4-5 hours in the saddle. So finally no (real) saddle soreness, no numbness in my left hand, no back pain! What's more is it was a ~300 TSS ride with 6:08 elapsed time of which 5:41 was spent moving, so I'm optimistic about my fit for the first time in a long time, maybe even forever :woop:

anyway, more actual ride reports to come soon (:justpost: I know...) from when I climbed the Cormet de Roselend and the Col de la Loze a while back. I've been meaning to post about those for months, but some personal stuff came up

Congratulations! That's rad.
I know a few folks on those bars and they all love em.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

my issue with narrow bars isn't really my shoulder width its more like my hands are huge and i like a lot of roominess especially riding on the tops

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lex Neville posted:

Speaking of handlebar width, I had my first issue-free ride in what feels like ages yesterday,
That's awesome!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Good ride yesterday. Trying to kind of squeeze in those last big ones as the days get shorter. We started about 20min east of town along the blackfoot river and then went north from there to do a gravel loop.

Gold creek after a bit of climbing

After the first 8mi or so we passed a gate and were on forest roads closed to motorized use for awhile

the rattlesnake mountains, just north of town, where I usually ride

Mineral is the closest one, I've been up there and there's a lookout. Behind it and to the right is stuart peak. I go to the wilderness boundary just below the top fairly often but have only hiked up from there once or twice.

wore my new mumu jersey

Then after awhile you're descending the other side looking at the swan mountains

water refill and snacks at placid lake (there's a water fountain and real bathrooms and such in the state park and campground)

Then climbing back out of there but on a different road to make a loop

The swans again and our lake

Looking northwest we can see the missions now too

Both the missions and swans run north-south in a line, south of glacier np. To the west of the missions is the flathead valley, to the east of the swans is the bob marshall wilderness. Seeley-swan valley between the two. Plenty of grizzly bears around but we didn't see any.

Descending back down

After a short climb over a ridge we were back in gold creek and on the way to the cars

(mineral peak again in the center).

Just over 70mi, just under 7k feet. A+ ride would do again

https://www.strava.com/activities/9914835652

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 25, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

my issue with narrow bars isn't really my shoulder width its more like my hands are huge and i like a lot of roominess especially riding on the tops

Yeah I'm a big guy with wider shoulders, and my bike has old school ~380 ish mm bars, and while my shoulders are comfy, I wish I had a bit more room for alternative hand positions, or more room for a light mount/handlebar bag, etc. I've got CX interruptor brakes hogging most of the inner bar space so yeah.

Btw good quality CX secondary brake levers are fuckin dope, 10/10 would recommend folks trying them on their gravel bike if they like doing easier MTB/CX single tracks. We have a wonderful river valley trail network here, and being able to be on the tops for more control while still having your hands on the brakes and hit some easy MTB trails is great.

E:

My goodness that's beautiful. Awesome trip report!

Double e: they're even starting to make hydraulic ones now :xd:
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/206054-hope-unveils-new-inline-hydraulic-crosstop-brake-levers-paul-oldham-winning

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 25, 2023

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

did my monthly metric century yesterday. thought things would be smoother than last time since I've had time to train consistently and I tried to address a few things that happened in the past

July

August

September (this past weekend)

(all estimated wattage. don't have a power meter yet)

nutrition;
  • a bit of oatmeal and maple syrup in the morning before the ride
  • penciled out 320g of carbs (varied between Clif Bloks, trying Maurten gels, drink mix). seemed to help keep things more consistent
  • powered through 4+ bottles of water and two bottles of drink mix
  • pizza and horchata from Arizmendi's after the ride

good bits;
  • felt like I had a lot of anaerobic capacity for bursts and magically overcoming hills
  • turned out to be a nice day
  • got to try out some sun sleeves
  • maurten gels are nice
  • got into a good rhythm on some parts where I could sit and go 35km/h without being annoyed at gears

sidegrades;
  • had some stomach issues again earlier in the ride this time. maybe I should avoid oatmeal for breakfast entirely
  • although I'm training indoors, I don't wear a mask while training. I think wearing an elastomeric respirator outdoors and not having consistent cooling is starting to affect my overall pace. couldn't sustain efforts for that long when I was going slowly up a hill with direct sun and no breeze. maxed out my HR (high 180s) on several occasions even though I almost never max out HR at home
  • staying hydrated also means finding restrooms along the way
  • lots of headwinds this time

bad vibes;
  • dropped and broke my sunglasses right outside my apartment :negative: was looking into prescription cycling glasses but they are so expensive
  • think I got overeager from caffeine earlier in the day and spent too much energy before the big climbs in the route
  • almost got into multiple tourist-bike crashes on the Golden Gate Bridge. people are way too aggressive about passing
  • generally felt kinda tired from earlier in the week so I was kinda wary of the effort and had to convince myself to commit to the ride
  • maurten drink mix is pretty gross
  • developed some pain in my right hip flexor during the ride which eventually led to me taking it easy on that leg later on. It's still somewhat tender today when using that leg. hoping it heals soon

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 26, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Vando posted:

No, because optimal crank length is not proportional to height. Remember that when you change crank length you're not changing crank length alone, you're most likely modifying at least saddle height at the same time to compensate. It's about power delivery more than sizing on the bike.

Changing saddle height to account for crank length is a given; i don’t think it negates the intuition of proportional sizing. I would argue comfort is more important than power, especially if the power band is really broad and not peaky like that study showed.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Good consistency! What's the route you're taking?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Echoing an interest in the routes you’re doing! My one metric century in the area was the worst most boring route possible so I’m interested in alternative lol

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

Good consistency! What's the route you're taking?

this is the gist of it (I'll also edit my post):

I've kept 95% the same route these past 3 months so I'm decently comfortable with it now. I've been tweaking bits of it to try and avoid conflict with cars and signaled intersections (to different degrees of success)

this time I tried to bike up Townsend instead of Market, which reduced the amount of time I have to wait for downtown traffic in exchange for a dicey conflict with the big bus stop next to the train station :whitewater:

also avoided Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, which swapped conflicts with tourist drivers and cobblestones for a big hill. kinda threw off my ability to climb the Fort Mason hill afterwards :shobon:

and finally I took Strava's advice and took a bike path in Corte Madera instead of biking next to the mall. that was a straight up improvement

biking from Sausalito to the bridge, I've decided always always bike up the back way from Fort Baker even though you end up losing half your elevation along the way. the road is way less treacherous and SUVs won't murder you while honking

my only gripe with the route is that it has lots of hills on the return journey coming back after you're more than 75km in. there's no real way around it imo unless you finish up by biking laps up and down the Embarcadero

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 26, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The real best way from Sausalito to the bridge is via Tennessee Valley

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I dunno, Market is crap. I prefer taking 17th eastward from the Mission, then Mariposa down to the stadiums and going up from there. Granted, it does mean more cars but the pavement is better.

Or just keep the city miles to a minimum and ride out to Lucas Valley, Nicasio, or Tam.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
A bit too many car-centric roads on your route for my taste. If you’re interested in some routes that push out a little farther north, there’re several that go through Fairfax and put you either at China camp or Point Reyes. Can link some if you’re interested. Obviously, coming back from the bridge, there will be small 300 foot hills (usually about 4-5) through the route, but they’re great for pushing that workout to the next step :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Shadowhand00 posted:

A bit too many car-centric roads on your route for my taste. If you’re interested in some routes that push out a little farther north, there’re several that go through Fairfax and put you either at China camp or Point Reyes. Can link some if you’re interested. Obviously, coming back from the bridge, there will be small 300 foot hills (usually about 4-5) through the route, but they’re great for pushing that workout to the next step :)

yeah, I'm interested in new routes!

since I'm not very comfortable with field repairs and I'm waiting for a cyclist friend to get around to replacing a stolen bike, I've been trying to stay somewhat close to population centers so I can bail out via bus or ferry or visit a bike shop if I suffer mechanical failure or injury. some bits in the city and some segments coming back from Tiburon could do with a lot less traffic for sure. I've found paradise loop to be alright

if I were to go further out I think I'd pack more stuff and it would turn into more of a trip than a workout, but that's not a bad thing

is there such a thing as AAA for cyclists? e; they literally do AAA for cyclists, interesting

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 26, 2023