Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mola Yam posted:

just increasingly bad, since the start. this last one looks like it's finally broken the trend though.

i think, the japanese government restricted the hospitals that are permitted to report their covid admissions, in order to better represent the state of the country as a whole. their words not mine??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Walgreens not showing any appointments for under 5s until October 13th.

Haven't had our 9/29 appointment cancelled yet but I'm expecting it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

me when novavax gets approved

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Fur20 posted:

i think, the japanese government restricted the hospitals that are permitted to report their covid admissions, in order to better represent the state of the country as a whole. their words not mine??

Yup, that's exactly it.
"In order to have the data be more accurate we made sure to have less of it!"
- The Japanese government

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tulip posted:

I've helped 3 people get paxlovid and had...not sure how many others go "no thanks, don't need it" but definitely more than 3.

It's a fascinating little thing since the stereotype of Americans is that all they want for any medical problem is just a pill, with the joke being that lots of medical issues can't be dealt with with a straightforward medication regime, and this is probably the single best example I can think of where a very straightforward, easily acquired medication makes a huge difference in your life, and people are still going 'ehhhh no thanks I'll just suffer.'

It makes your mouth taste gross, no thanks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was chatting to my neighbour over the fence and she pulled on a baggy blue surgical mask because she "had a bit of a cold" and didn't want to pass it on to me. She had to keep adjusting it because it kept falling down off her nose, lol. I was wearing an N95 and after a few minutes she went "Well I'll let you go so you can take that mask off and breath properly again."

I guess she hasn't had much experience wearing masks??? :shrug:

She's a nurse, lol

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tulip posted:

I've helped 3 people get paxlovid and had...not sure how many others go "no thanks, don't need it" but definitely more than 3.

It's a fascinating little thing since the stereotype of Americans is that all they want for any medical problem is just a pill, with the joke being that lots of medical issues can't be dealt with with a straightforward medication regime, and this is probably the single best example I can think of where a very straightforward, easily acquired medication makes a huge difference in your life, and people are still going 'ehhhh no thanks I'll just suffer.'

I think it's not so much that we want a pill, it's that we want an easy answer. Taking a pill is still doing something, you go to a website, there may be a side effect, it's not much but it's not nothing. Another option is to just decide you don't need the pill, and then you can do gently caress all. That's easier, so most of the time that's probably what's going to happen. It's also well supported, as there are millions of people who will go out of their way to tell you that you don't need scary big pharma to treat a disease which does not exist or is mild or can be cured by putting garlic in your pockets.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
Found out some of my relatives caught Covid from their recent cruise they returned from. They plan to go to the local Olive Garden or AppleBee's tomorrow while still positive and don't understand why I don't want to go and meet up with them.

Yeah, I totally want to risk my already weak immune system to eat badly made pasta.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

My parents want to go there vs a retail pharmacy. I convinced them to get the shot now I need to make it work.

At first they didn’t want to get it because they had 5 before and they didn’t know it was brand new….

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Jizzny Princess posted:

Found out some of my relatives caught Covid from their recent cruise they returned from. They plan to go to the local Olive Garden or AppleBee's tomorrow while still positive and don't understand why I don't want to go and meet up with them.

Yeah, I totally want to risk my already weak immune system to eat badly made pasta.

What you don't want to hear all the cool stories from the cruise? Think of all the pictures of food you're missing out on before you do anything hasty here

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Real Mean Queen posted:

I think it's not so much that we want a pill, it's that we want an easy answer. Taking a pill is still doing something, you go to a website, there may be a side effect, it's not much but it's not nothing. Another option is to just decide you don't need the pill, and then you can do gently caress all. That's easier, so most of the time that's probably what's going to happen. It's also well supported, as there are millions of people who will go out of their way to tell you that you don't need scary big pharma to treat a disease which does not exist or is mild or can be cured by putting garlic in your pockets.

garlic miasma wards against Covid miasma

when we say it's a vascular disease that means it's subject to vampire rules

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Stoop Kid posted:

if you have insurance, check with your pharmacy benefit. mine was covered but I called and checked.

How have people’s reactions been to the new juice? i just got covid + flu 15 minutes ago

10.5 hours in - bad headache, shakes (better now that I am in bed), low grade fever, lot of pain at injection site. Hoping to wake up feeling better.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Zugzwang posted:

I want to believe.

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

My sister just told me on the phone she has covid. My sister and her wife are both starting paxlovid right away.

According to her, her brother in law’s kids probably caught it at school, gave it to him, he gave it to his mother, who gave it my sister’s wife, who gave it to her, and this whole chain of transmission completed in a few days before anyone developed symptoms, but because they started developing symptoms in order starting with the kids and it also making sense based on who was around who and when, the sequence of events seems clear.

Anyway I thought it was interesting because we already know how contagious covid is and how quickly it spreads and that a lot of the spread is presymptomatic, but it’s still kind of crazy to sort of see it play out that fast in person and in a way where she is pretty sure she knows how she caught it 4 people back, and also how it’s such a typical case starting with the kids bringing it back from school.

Death of Innocence has issued a correction as of 08:00 on Sep 25, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kids can't get COVID though, sounds like she's mistaken

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

sonatinas posted:

so my step dad is getting ivig treatment for his CIPD that his physicians think are caused by the vaccines however I’d argue that there has at least been one infection that may have contributed . any literature on CIPD and vaccines? he could have been unlucky like people who get gullian barre from a vaccine.

however, when searching online looks like an infection is more likely than a vaccine.

IVIG sounds expensive

did they test for Il-6, Tau or
glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD)
voltage-gated potassium channel (VGKC) antibodies
myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) antibody
anti-N-Methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor (NMDAR / anti-NMDAR) antibodies
anti-amphiphysin antibodies
contactin-associated protein (Caspr2) antibodies.
anti-amphiphysin antibodies

https://www.cureus.com/articles/130722-a-sharp-rise-in-autoimmune-encephalitis-in-the-covid-19-era-a-case-series#!/

https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9059/10/4/774

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/severe-covid-19-may-lead-long-term-innate-immune-system-changes

https://ltd.aruplab.com/Tests/Pub/3006051

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
is now a good time to try to get novavax, for someone who hasn't been vaccinated in a long time?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

maxwellhill posted:

is now a good time to try to get novavax, for someone who hasn't been vaccinated in a long time?

can’t even get novavax cause it hasn’t been approved

I’m gonna wait it out, I don’t see anyone without a mask

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I'm also waiting it out and don't go anywhere without a mask. And to the best of my limited knowledge novavax is only slightly better this time around probably maybe. But hey might as well vary things up and time a shot closer to family gatherings.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Death of Innocence posted:

My sister just told me on the phone she has covid. My sister and her wife are both starting paxlovid right away.

According to her, her brother in law’s kids probably caught it at school, gave it to him, he gave it to his mother, who gave it my sister’s wife, who gave it to her, and this whole chain of transmission completed in a few days before anyone developed symptoms, but because they started developing symptoms in order starting with the kids and it also making sense based on who was around who and when, the sequence of events seems clear.

Anyway I thought it was interesting because we already know how contagious covid is and how quickly it spreads and that a lot of the spread is presymptomatic, but it’s still kind of crazy to sort of see it play out that fast in person and in a way where she is pretty sure she knows how she caught it 4 people back, and also how it’s such a typical case starting with the kids bringing it back from school.

This sucks and I hope your family recovers well!

People out there seem to think that you should only wear a mask when sick. Considering how common presymptomatic and asymptomatic spread are, the whole "masking doesn't work" refrain makes a sort of twisted sense in that context. It's too bad people aren't willing or able to realize the correct answer to a ubiquitous disease presence is ubiquitous masking.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/jrebosglobe/status/1706264471721660840?s=20

Boston Globe story that at least doesn't use the phrase "post-pandemic" in the headline.

(Disable JavaScript to beat the paywall if you don't have library access or something like that.)

lol at the pervasive framing in this country of declarations and NPIs as the problem and not the virus:

quote:

More than four months since the end of the national and state public health emergencies for COVID-19, O’Leary is unable to do what many others can: relax his precautions against the virus

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
get those free 4 expired tests* https://special.usps.com/testkits

*2 tests

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

*1.33 tests if asymptomatic

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

euphronius posted:

the triage nurses on the phone were trying to talk my out if it !! I have no idea what is happening

Yea I had that experience with my doctor as well. Not strongly trying to talk me out of it but being told about it and being asked if I still wanted to take it despite the side effects.

It's very odd, I guess there are lots of people who are more upset by having a weird taste in their mouth than the actual symptoms of covid?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Srice posted:

Yea I had that experience with my doctor as well. Not strongly trying to talk me out of it but being told about it and being asked if I still wanted to take it despite the side effects.

It's very odd, I guess there are lots of people who are more upset by having a weird taste in their mouth than the actual symptoms of covid?

Peopke freaked out about wearing a mask back when this disease was killing 4000+ people a day and there was no vaccine. People still freak out more about looking dumb than protecting themselves. Of course they’re going to care more about a yucky taste than they do about staying sick longer.

To put this in the best possible light, maybe that doc has had enough occasions of prescribing it only to find out people took two doses then stopped because ‘ew’ and doesn’t want to waste any more/help develop a strain that’s resistant.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Srice posted:

my FIL's doctor talked him hard out of paxlovid when he had covid earlier this year because he's not high risk

dude is obese and has a heart condition

we have the tools, and we must never question the wisdom of our healthcare heroes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Oracle posted:

Peopke freaked out about wearing a mask back when this disease was killing 4000+ people a day and there was no vaccine. People still freak out more about looking dumb than protecting themselves. Of course they’re going to care more about a yucky taste than they do about staying sick longer.

To put this in the best possible light, maybe that doc has had enough occasions of prescribing it only to find out people took two doses then stopped because ‘ew’ and doesn’t want to waste any more/help develop a strain that’s resistant.

Yea, from the way she was talking about it I did wonder if she had prescribed it to people who stopped taking it for that reason.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
sore as poo poo this morning, didn't sleep well and had to turn on my AC to 63 to feel comfortable last night.

the new juice works and I am becoming more powerful than ever

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Louisgod posted:

sore as poo poo this morning, didn't sleep well and had to turn on my AC to 63 to feel comfortable last night.

Has your heart exploded like a shrapnel bomb yet?
Are you a Tetsu-esque flesh monster?

Just scheduled mine and my wife for this weekend, ready to lay around watching MST3k in a fever haze

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Sep 25, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Louisgod posted:

Hell yeah ride that snake

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

If people admitted they needed an anti-viral for covid, that'd be admitting covid is 1) not mild, 2) not over, 3) something they personally are at risk from.

And none of those are admissable so

yeah this is pretty much the entire thing

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for the daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I wanna drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles, it's a very, very
Mad world, mad world

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just wanted to poke my head and here and ask if anyone else got the shingles and tdap vax as well. It sounds pretty convenient to knock them all out at once but I also want to exist tomorrow

e: gently caress it, signed up for them too. Ready to get pummelled for health

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Sep 25, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Walgreens appointment canceled due to not having vaccine. Call back mid-week and I can be a walk-in then.

Noone else has open appointments so that leaves me with calling up local pharmacies in a few hours to see if they accept walk in’s!

Wow could the timing have been any better to approve this vaccine *checks calendar* in the middle of the back-to-school wave!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Shageletic posted:

Just wanted to poke my head and here and ask if anyone else got the shingles and tdap vax as well. It sounds pretty convenient to knock them all out at once but I also want to exist tomorrow

e: gently caress it, signed up for them too. Ready to get pummelled for health

How did you manage to get the shingles vaccines? They're still refusing to give that out until you're 50+ down here in Texas

I tried to get it after seeing my little brother get a nasty case of the shingles at the only young age of 32.

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Sep 25, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Crazyweasel posted:

Walgreens appointment canceled due to not having vaccine. Call back mid-week and I can be a walk-in then.

Noone else has open appointments so that leaves me with calling up local pharmacies in a few hours to see if they accept walk in’s!

Wow could the timing have been any better to approve this vaccine *checks calendar* in the middle of the back-to-school wave!

it's really incredible to me how weird and inconsistent this is too. some sorta mismatch between the corporate ordering system and the political alignment of geographic regions lol

absolutely no sweat for dozens of people I know here in upstate NY, but I'm guessing it's because the company THINKS more people will want the shots than do

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Crazyweasel posted:

when I went in yesterday there was one person there administering shots and she said they were behind because the system allowed double bookings, so some people got turned away. this country is absolute poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Louisgod posted:

when I went in yesterday there was one person there administering shots and she said they were behind because the system allowed double bookings, so some people got turned away. this country is absolute poo poo.

Hyping up interest in the booster only to gently caress up the rollout is pretty much SOP at this point

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live in the place with the world's best hospital, where their employees get the vaccine before the general public. Every CVS and Walgreens appointment for the next 10-14 days is taken already. Now my boss is mad at me, because I refuse to go to a work conference next week without the latest and greatest slut juice in my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

got my joose at walgreens today in Brooklyn after them cancelling my appointment last Monday from not having the vaccine yet so seems like it's getting out there now. I was picking up a prescription and just asked if they had it in yet and they offered to give it to me right then so didn't need to go back which was nice. not feeling anything yet but they stopped doing the whole wait 15 minutes kayfabe at least so that was nice

she also mentioned that they aren't doing the whole cdc vaccine card stuff anymore so it'll just go to the normal vaccine database which should make booster banditing much easier, I plan on just getting whatever is newest every 4-5 months