Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Did they like to think it was the equivalent of the MTAC room in NCIS

It was part flexing the fact that some leaders gave them some small authority to have instances of total privacy while also trying to keep up an image. There use to be and maybe still is, some over reaching application of "need to know" without applying a smidge of context.

Take for an example simple incident response processes. I had someone leave an org fairly recently that took this to an extreme. Had an incident of malware that was a big nothing burger? No, that isn't a reason to shut down your coworker who is asking about details (out of curiosity) but also isn't part of the IR. Its not an excuse to weaponize the smallest bit of authority to be an extreme rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

gallop w/a boner posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed in last few hundred pages.

What is the current recommendation for an 'enterprise' password manager? This is to be used across a multi-national IT team.

I have previously used ManageEngine but it was a bit flakey.

My company uses 1Password, and from any research I've ever done that always comes out either at or near the top of any list of paid password management solutions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Either 1Password or Bitwarden I think and 1Password has better shared-vault stuff.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sickening posted:

I remember when I was starting my career some infosec team had a "room" in the facility that only they could enter. They joked proudly about how I (desktop support guy) could not enter the room or even know what was in the room. I at the time thought this was a very serious thing.

Looking back, these people were turds who got paid a lot of money to do nothing. There was nothing interesting at all happening in that room because these were people not intelligent enough to be doing anything interesting. Infosec was just a good ol boys club that was purposely not being inclusive because they were terrified of more people knowing they were useless.

Secrecy in infosec use to be the norm even to its own detriment decades ago.

When Rackspace moved into the castle, there was a NOC setup with a secure door on it that only certain badges could get into. I think it lasted all of 3 weeks before they removed it. Now the abuse people, they had to be a private room cause they had to look at the awful poo poo on the internet.

e: it turned out for the worse when they removed it cause that's where most of the food was put out and bands played and the slide was right there and there was loving karaoke. AND THE loving COFFEE SHOP

ptsd.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 23, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

1Password is excellent for business because of the shared vaults and what you can do to secure password sharing in your company with them. I never miss an opportunity to shill for it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Keeper is better for business if you’re an entra id shop. Apps work well, ability to transfer a users vault to another user when they leave the company.

1password’s sso is super busted and crap. When you try to deploy it to 500 peeps it falls on it’s face.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you'd think after apple's internal adoption that sao would get unfucked

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nitr0 posted:

Keeper is better for business if you’re an entra id shop. Apps work well, ability to transfer a users vault to another user when they leave the company.

1password’s sso is super busted and crap. When you try to deploy it to 500 peeps it falls on it’s face.

seems to work fine for us at ~10000 people, at least 2500 sharing one vault?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
We use passwordstate and it kinda sucks.

The core functionality works well, it’s just missing all of the quality of life features of a 1password or bitwarden.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bitwarden's SSO is quite clunky in the sense that you have to create your own onboarding instructions because the email invites that are sent out just confuse people.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Subjunctive posted:

seems to work fine for us at ~10000 people, at least 2500 sharing one vault?

shrug. saw the proof of concepts from my teams about a year ago and 1password had some janky "scim bridge" that you had to deploy in kubernetes in azure. The sso didn't work correctly, so everyone still had their own master passwords. sharing between teams was flawed when you didn't want to share a specific entire "vault" but single folders or records.

I used 1password for about 7 years personally and it did a good job, but I'm not quite sure who is deploying it in enterprise.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, we still have master passwords (but usually use Touch ID on laptops), the SSO isn’t used to unlock that. I don’t know how that would work.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, we still have master passwords (but usually use Touch ID on laptops), the SSO isn’t used to unlock that. I don’t know how that would work.

Kinda the entire point behind sso and 2fa. A user shouldn’t need additional prompting if they’ve already been authed and verified.

Conditional Access says that this user is working from home, has already performed 2fa, and their ip and hardware hasn’t changed for 30 days. Probably fine for little to no prompting.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
What’s y’all’s favorite phishing incidents over the past 2 - 3 years?

I have to make a skit for security awareness month :cripes:

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

if you don't answer MGM to that I don't know what to say

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Every "class" will do that one, rightfully so it's hilarious, weren't there a few T-Mobile ones when they had massive data breaches?

You should find one that happened to your company before you were hired. I'm sure that would go over super well. :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GrunkleStalin posted:

MGM is tempting but I have to go with the poor Azure sod who let the PLA an advanced actor foothold on his laptop, eventually leading to the PLA signing fraudulent federation trusts.

Wasn't the Okta federation free-mint issue also footholded by phishing followed by a fraudulent phone call with a helpdesk? That was at least a month or two ago which honestly may as well be the ancient past.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

GrunkleStalin posted:

If you "have" to then that sucks, but IMO it's either something mildly funny and creative or it's literally just an other to:all email that no one will ever read, so have fun with it. I mean it won't matter anyway, but whatever.

I did one of these as a video a few years ago with my friends where we dressed up in old timey burglar outfits with fake moustaches and a sack stuffed with pillow with "corporate secrets" sharpied on, and did stupid poo poo like tailgating badge-ins, finding unlocked computers, etc. and each time there was a jump cut to the CEO picking up his desk phone and saying "THEY STOLE WHAT??"

Reiterating that it was stupid, but at least we had fun for a week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want to hear stories of someone being phished because they held an executive role and their MFA method was a phone call to their landline, which someone was busy wiretapping at the local pedestal.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's the deal with 1PassWord? My app version (100% locally stored) just works and doesn't cost me anything, but for new users it's paid only?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bolind posted:

What's the deal with 1PassWord? My app version (100% locally stored) just works and doesn't cost me anything, but for new users it's paid only?

congratulations on staying on version 3 and not paying attention to any of the product announcements from the company that makes your password manager

they're on 8 now and yes, it's been cloud hosted and subscription based for a long time now

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GrunkleStalin posted:

One of our accountants got whacked wirh "hi *accountant* this is ceo *ceo* im in a meeting and need 200$ of google play carda asap please handle this, i am in a meeting so pleaae do not call me."

And she went out and dare I say got this random hotmail address 200$ of googleplay cards. So you know phishing attempts really do not have to be complicated affairs.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My favorite is the IT tech that got popped when someone called in to reset their password and it wasn't until he hung up that he realized it was his password he reset.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lots of companies would be happy for a successful phish to only cost them $200 of google play fun money

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

My favorite is the IT tech that got popped when someone called in to reset their password and it wasn't until he hung up that he realized it was his password he reset.
This is where the park ranger quote truly shines

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Lots of companies would be happy for a successful phish to only cost them $200 of google play fun money

Yea, from what I understand everyone was sympathetic to the situation especially probably because it was their own money they used to get the play cards instead of the companies. They and their department won a trip to defens brand new anti-phishing training for a day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

geonetix posted:

if you don't answer MGM to that I don't know what to say

MGM, Colonial Pipeline, and the Microsoft Azure Key hack.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

MGM, Colonial Pipeline, and the Microsoft Azure Key hack.

https://www.cybersecurityconnect.com.au/commercial/9600-ransomed-vc-group-claims-hack-on-all-of-sony-systems

Apparently Sony as of today.... I doubt it's as big as they're claiming it to be though time will tell.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GrunkleStalin posted:

There was one recently where the attacker spammed the target with 2fa requests until the target got fatigued and caved in. I thought that one was pretty funny.

E: I remember now it was Uber!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008273&pagenumber=118&perpage=40&userid=0#post526306381

Mantle fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 25, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mantle posted:

There was one recently where the attacker spammed the target with 2fa requests until the target got fatigued and caved in. I thought that one was pretty funny.

I believe that was the Uber hack.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What is the least lovely free and cross platform remote desktop control software for LAN/vpn use?

I have a windows pc in my home office that I sometimes remote into. I'm not a fan of using RDP because that takes over my login session and forces me to log back in when I use it locally. I've historically used VNC with an encryption plug-in, but now that my client device is Linux I'm struggling to reconfigure it in a way that works. And I see that TeamViewer is free for personal use but they self-owned (?) pretty hard a few years ago.

Are all solutions just differently lovely, or is there a clear winner?

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Screen connect has a free tier for 3 machines

https://docs.connectwise.com/Connec...o_your_instance

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

What is the least lovely free and cross platform remote desktop control software for LAN/vpn use?

I have a windows pc in my home office that I sometimes remote into. I'm not a fan of using RDP because that takes over my login session and forces me to log back in when I use it locally. I've historically used VNC with an encryption plug-in, but now that my client device is Linux I'm struggling to reconfigure it in a way that works. And I see that TeamViewer is free for personal use but they self-owned (?) pretty hard a few years ago.

Are all solutions just differently lovely, or is there a clear winner?

VNC works perfectly fine in Linux if you for some reason need to get into a desktop instead of a shell session. Outside of a Linux VDI or desktop (which is where we use it) idk where that'd be tho.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

chrome remote desktop is quite good. i work for google though, other people's tolerance to installing google stuff might reasonably be lower

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VNC + Tailscale

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Achmed Jones posted:

chrome remote desktop is quite good. i work for google though, other people's tolerance to installing google stuff might reasonably be lower

This is what I use as a backup to rdp and it's wonderful

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

A Starbucks employee I know pulled $1500 and went out and bought gift cards because they were phished. Things were figured out before anything changed hands though.
I literally listened to her tell the story, near tears the whole time, and I still cannot comprehend how that happened.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

CVE-2023-5129 is going to be fun

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WebPEEPEE-POOPOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

CVE-2023-5129 is going to be fun