Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really liked that episode, but yeah. That part was fuckin' gross.

Like, at least it wasn't painted by the show as some aspirational moment, all "gosh, wouldn't it be great, Venture fans, if two girls wanted to hold you down, etc." It was something horrifying happening to Dean. But still, just... eeeeeeugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dr. Quymm can't be worst, it has "thanks for that new personal low", Doc rolling off the front of the truck, and "Getting my rear end kicked by a loving Orangutan".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Doc's absolute revulsion upon realizing that she's Epileptic is hilarious.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dimebags Brain posted:

Doc rolling off the front of the truck

This was the biggest laugh, for me, in the entire series. So basic and with zero set up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've always hated Love Bheits. Watching it again a couple years ago in my rewatch, it wasn't as bad as I thought. But the idea of there being a really lovely dictatorship on the border of Michigan or whatever just seemed really gross.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They really had no idea what to do with Underland or the Baron, either.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah everything with Unterland just sucks and feels out of place. Underbeit has a few good moments but only in episodes that aren't about him. And then I guess he dies offscreen on Gargantua 2, along with Fat Chance? They're never seen again

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Seconding State Dinner, but everything else that's been listed, nah, those are great. 'Bright Lights, Dean City' rubs me the wrong way, nothing pays off in a satisfying way at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know why, but The Monarch seeing and recognizing Chuck Scarsdale, not putting 2 and 2 together re: Captain Sunshine, but shouting,"It's Chuck Scarsdale! Let's get out of here before he puts us on the news!" and cheesing it cracks me up every time I think about it :allears:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The current quote occupying way too much of my brain is Ghost Robot dressed as Galacticon going "Fingerssss. Fingerssss."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

theflyingexecutive posted:

The current quote occupying way too much of my brain is Ghost Robot dressed as Galacticon going "Fingerssss. Fingerssss."

It floats up weirdly from time to time when I grab something in the palm of my hand and my fingers curl.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Huh, just realized I still haven't gotten a t shirt confirmation

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

moist turtleneck posted:

Huh, just realized I still haven't gotten a t shirt confirmation

My shirts finally arrived last Thursday. It's like they hired one guy to ship them all.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Was the special packaging and sticker only for people that bought the whole run? I just got mine shoved in a titmouse mailer and no sticker.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Cojawfee posted:

I've always hated Love Bheits. Watching it again a couple years ago in my rewatch, it wasn't as bad as I thought. But the idea of there being a really lovely dictatorship on the border of Michigan or whatever just seemed really gross.

Brock solomnly informing the henchman of his testcular cancer is too funny for it to be the worst episode.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know why, but The Monarch seeing and recognizing Chuck Scarsdale, not putting 2 and 2 together re: Captain Sunshine, but shouting,"It's Chuck Scarsdale! Let's get out of here before he puts us on the news!" and cheesing it cracks me up every time I think about it :allears:

That was Doc, but yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somehow that makes it even funnier to me.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Monarch and his henchmen running from mall cops was great too

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LashLightning posted:

Brock solomnly informing the henchman of his testcular cancer is too funny for it to be the worst episode.

Brock's reluctance to ask where Dean is afterwards was a sign of a true and honorable warrior.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It's not a bottom tier episode, but "What goes down must come up" feels like a whole episode written to work in the joke about the Firestarter music video ('I'm trapped in a sewer with a confessed arsonist!").

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It's not a bottom tier episode, but "What goes down must come up" feels like a whole episode written to work in the joke about the Firestarter music video ('I'm trapped in a sewer with a confessed arsonist!").

Judging by the commentary yeah basically lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The final line before the credits is so good. Rusty slip-n-sliding through the yard on a wave of sewage and the credits smash cut mid “aw poo poo.”

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It's a pretty weak episode, but I though it having an internal US border was pretty funny after assuming it was somewhere in Eastern Europe for the whole episode.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

It's a pretty weak episode, but I though it having an internal US border was pretty funny after assuming it was somewhere in Eastern Europe for the whole episode.

I always liked to think that the Michigan Militia succeed in their plans and took the iron mines of the UP to form Unterland

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Slyphic posted:

Seconding State Dinner, but everything else that's been listed, nah, those are great. 'Bright Lights, Dean City' rubs me the wrong way, nothing pays off in a satisfying way at all.

While true, the "I'm Rusty!" musical and Lady Bird/Lyndon Bee are some of my favorite bits.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Bright Lights, Dean City also has the first appearence of fan favorite Scare Bear.

I love that scene since it shows that even super villians are scared of his appearence. "Aaaannnnnndddd he's got a knife....." always gets me. Phantom Limb can kill people with his magic hands and deflect bullets with them too but is still scared of some bum with a knife, its great.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I think Bright Lights alsonsuffers by being directly linked to Who's Coming to Hank's or w/ev because that one is fantastic. And yeah the Doc B-Plot there is great

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It's been a while but the commentaries say that Everyone goes to Hanks and Dean City were one episode originally but they had too many ideas for the Hank story and pushed and stretched the Dean plot into its own episode. or maybe it was the reverse? I forget

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Sash! posted:

Brock's reluctance to ask where Dean is afterwards was a sign of a true and honorable warrior.

There’s been extensive talk here about how similar or not Harley Quinn is to this show, but I feel like you can draw a direct line from that scene to the scene in HQ where Harley gives a guy cancer by pointing a WayneTech gun at him and it turns out the gun gives you cancer and they’re all questioning why anyone would make that gun at all and she just has to apologize and leave feeling really bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

I'm only catching this gag because of the thread and it's cracking me up. Michigan does seem like a place that would have an Unterland mostly because this is the first thought I'm ever having about Michigan

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat, I love Bright Lights. It does feel a bit like half an episode, though. I think if it was intercut with Everybody Comes to Hank's as a longer Special it would work better.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yeah they talked it that one in the Hodgman special feature. I think Doc cranked out the full script for Everybody Come to Hank's in like, a day. It was the easiest writing process he ever had on the show. So Jackson had to expand on the planned Dean half of the episode into Bright Lights.

Ep is good for the characters it introduces more for it's plot is something you can say about a lot of TV, not just this show.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

hatty posted:

It's been a while but the commentaries say that Everyone goes to Hanks and Dean City were one episode originally but they had too many ideas for the Hank story and pushed and stretched the Dean plot into its own episode. or maybe it was the reverse? I forget
If would feel true at least, although they didn't quite manage to stretch Dean's plot into its own episode, what with a good portion of it being taken by the Revenge Society (I completely blanked on that name by the way) and Rusty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

limp_cheese posted:

Bright Lights, Dean City also has the first appearence of fan favorite Scare Bear.

I love that scene since it shows that even super villians are scared of his appearence. "Aaaannnnnndddd he's got a knife....." always gets me. Phantom Limb can kill people with his magic hands and deflect bullets with them too but is still scared of some bum with a knife, its great.

You left off the best part. It's not just a knife, but a knife super...power....

The whole scene is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioLebEUHhw

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You left off the best part. It's not just a knife, but a knife super...power....

Holy poo poo, I had never caught the "super pwer" part until now! I was always too busy laughing at the first part.

This show was too good for this world.

I also like every scene like this because you just know there are pages upon pages of other jokes and characters they couldn't fit in.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LashLightning posted:

Also, I have to admit, I got a kick out of the eunuch attendants. Especially after Dean screams and the one just looks at him, cockeyed. "Honey, I'm fixed. What's your excuse?" The delivery is just perfect.

Also also, in honor of page 666!

That was total movie cool! And Torrid actually said "abra kadabra"! I always thought that was a fake magic word.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

I never noticed that Impossible switches his costume to hero mode when Scare Bear is freaking them all out

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sanschel posted:

I never noticed that Impossible switches his costume to hero mode when Scare Bear is freaking them all out

It's because he's taking a call from Dean, who doesn't know that he's working for a supervillain yet.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My favorite bit is when Phantom Limb is trying to shout over the loud rear end flying vehicle while Professor impossible explains to Dean about his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Has anyone called Orpheus? It's page 666