Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
Jackson getting suspended after picking up five yellow cards in six games, four for dissent and one for standing in front of Martinez while he was trying to take a goal kick, is just yet another beautiful cherry on top of the massive circus-tent-shaped Chelsea cake. I love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Jippa posted:

Individual player fans are really weird.
Especially those who are die hard fans of either C. Ronaldo or Zlatan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wazzerphuk posted:

Jackson getting suspended after picking up five yellow cards in six games, four for dissent and one for standing in front of Martinez while he was trying to take a goal kick, is just yet another beautiful cherry on top of the massive circus-tent-shaped Chelsea cake. I love it so much.

You sort of would think that Chelsea would want to fall back to "don't gently caress around, let's focus on basics" and then maybe add shithousing on once things like scoring goals and defending were sorted, but this team is just built different.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
six games, one goal, five yellow cards none of which was for a foul, it's even better than Richarlison

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
My predictions thread predictions are in ruins

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol mine too, I thought both Chelsea and Burnley would be pretty good

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup I was chatting with my colleague a few weeks ago and confidently predicted that Chelsea would be fine because Poch is decent, dunno what I was doing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Poch is a fraud

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was misled by the whole "Spurs to a CL final" thing and it clouded my judgement.

I'd love to do a whole Back to the Future thing and simply not sack Tuchel and see where things stand now

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

TheRat posted:

Poch is a fraud

he played verratti as a 10. multiple times

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can't blame poch for this. The squad consists almost entirely of a bunch of kids with enormous stressful price tags who don't know each other, it's gonna take an absolute age to make a decent team out of them.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
what he did at spurs, long-term, was very good, but immediately going from clearly impossible-to-manage french clown car club to clearly impossible-to-manage english clown car club doesn't reflect well on his decision making

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 25, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Perfect Element posted:

Can't blame poch for this. The squad consists almost entirely of a bunch of kids with enormous stressful price tags who don't know each other, it's gonna take an absolute age to make a decent team out of them.

Fortunately the club is owned by people who are happy to have long term plans

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

When life gives you lemons,

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what he did at spurs, long-term, was very good, but immediately going from clearly impossible-to-manage french clown car club to clearly impossible-to-manage english clown car club doesn't reflect well on his decision making

It probably does on his bank balance.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Still feeling pretty good about tapping up Ten Hag for my Biggest Meltdown prediction.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Think we've got two more games max before he gets the heatmaps out in his post-match

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One really obvious game-changing VAR decision to end up with him getting an apology and he's getting the batman costume out and heading to parliament

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Starting to think succeeding in the toxic cesspool that is current ManU ownership and ManU media may just be flat out impossible

Hard to say though since no manager good enough to put that theory to the test will touch them with a barge pole

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 25, 2023

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think in fact you will find that based on their 1-0 win at Burnley, Manchester United are Back To Winning Ways and the Dark Cloud Over Old Trafford Has Lifted

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jonny Evans will lead Manchester United to Champions League glory and the Ballon d'Or

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Xabi posted:

Especially those who are die hard fans of either C. Ronaldo or Zlatan.

zlatan owns though

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

His decision was probably that it's time to continue getting paid bags of money with little effort after having a year off paid for by PSG (that contract has finished now I think). Manage for 8 months or so, get paid for another 16. Easy money

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Solskjær was clearly a pretty poo poo manager. I think Ronaldo could have worked out at United under a different manager. They just signed him and expected him to solve all their problems.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thanks Ants posted:

Fortunately the club is owned by people who are happy to have long term plans

Like for the last 3 managers right?

Vegetable posted:

Solskjær was clearly a pretty poo poo manager. I think Ronaldo could have worked out at United under a different manager. They just signed him and expected him to solve all their problems.

It was a laughable signing, exactly the opposite of what they needed, and de-stabilised the squad.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

He’s been a millstone around the neck of the teams he’s played for going on 5 years now, both changing the team and tactics as well as financially to accommodate him, not to mention his ego.

Unless he was starting every game as Captain and carried off on the other players’ shoulders when he scored, it always would have gone and ultimately ended badly imo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Remember when Adidas had to publish the trace from their world cup smart ball to show that Ronaldo never got his head to it

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

This is an utterly bizarre take. Ronaldo is as adapted to the "modern game" as de Gea. He's a dinosaur.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Remember when Adidas had to publish the trace from their world cup smart ball to show that Ronaldo never got his head to it

I didn't, but now I have and I'm lolling

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The “modern game” still accommodates luxury players. Haaland doesn’t track back at all, disappears for most of the 90 minutes and is still the best striker today.

Ronaldo obviously isn’t as good. But United did none of the legwork to give him a shot. Pep literally rebuilt a championship-winning squad to accommodate Haaland.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

it's a shame that ronald left during solskjaer's tenure and no subsequent united managers got to use him, he'd definitely have come good under them

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No one is going to build a squad around a 37 year old striker, that's ridiculous.

Haaland is 15 years younger than Ronaldo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Ronaldo didn't fit in at all and hosed the entire team balance because everyone tried to accommodate him. Also, he did a bunch of dressing room dramas.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Vegetable posted:

The “modern game” still accommodates luxury players. Haaland doesn’t track back at all, disappears for most of the 90 minutes and is still the best striker today.

Ronaldo obviously isn’t as good. But United did none of the legwork to give him a shot. Pep literally rebuilt a championship-winning squad to accommodate Haaland.

Lol

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The whole point of a luxury player is to build around them. If you sign one and then supply him with passes from McTominay and Fred, you kinda deserve exactly what you get. It’s mismanagement.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m only making this point because it’s pretty wild that Pepball now involves letting a number 9 walk around doing nothing for 90 minutes. Changes to the metagame are overstated. Tactically some of the best teams in the world do nothing different from what was done 10 years ago. It’s facile to say that the signing was doomed to fail or that the player doesn’t fit in the modern game.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So now we know at least one poster who never watched Ronaldo play for Man Utd then (the second time, that is).

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Vegetable posted:

I’m only making this point because it’s pretty wild that Pepball now involves letting a number 9 walk around doing nothing for 90 minutes.

It doesn’t

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You're also talking as if Ronaldo was god's gift to scoring goals but just didn't do anything else. He was, in fact, not particularly good at the thing he was supposed to be very good at. So what you had was a luxury player who didn't do that much luxurying, didn't work for the team and created a lot of drama on and off the pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TheRat posted:

So now we know at least one poster who never watched Ronaldo play for Man Utd then (the second time, that is).

actually watching or knowing anything about manchester united is in many ways just an impediment to having lots of important robbie savage opinions to post on the internet

do not burden yourself in such a way