Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Geight posted:

I think the only way it could have stuck was if it were done with as much fanfare as the new map update and every hero got in on the elemental action, at the time it was just like the one Brewmaster ability working with various fire-based spells, right?
Yeah, and then everyone got confused about what counted as fire damage and they changed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
also the spell was dogshit because brewmaster couldn't light his own spell, making him utterly reliant on a few specific spells from specific supports to not suck rear end in lane.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I mean dota used to have a should more damage types than it does now. That was a confusing era to be sure. And people were still complaining that simplifying damage types made the game too easy.

Misty Fog
Aug 18, 2020

Trent posted:

So I'm new to Dota 2 and only have about 7 hours in it so far, but this game looks pretty cracked. My only prior MOBA experience is playing Smite with friends but I never enjoyed it. Dota 2 captures my interest much more.

I'm gonna take my Sven into my first non-bot game here soon, any uh beginner tips?

Lose your first 100 games as quickly as possible

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

sven is gonna be tough lol

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

flashman posted:

sven is gonna be tough lol

Yeah I’d really suggest Wraith King over Sven. He’s still a tanky melee carry with a stun, but he has a lot more survivability between his lifesteal and Resurrection. He’s much more forgiving for new players as a result.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Viper is what I get my newb friends to play

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have zero recollection of DOTA ever having/thinking about Elemental types of damage. When was that?

Side note: You can't run from the venomous one

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
7.20. Brewmaster's cinder brew used to ignite based on fire based abilities until 7.23.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Sab669 posted:

I have zero recollection of DOTA ever having/thinking about Elemental types of damage. When was that?

Side note: You can't run from the venomous one

are u telling me u never put together elemental teams like da wet boys slardar tide morphling kunkka slark with your buddies

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

missin' siege/piercing damage every day

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

are u telling me u never put together elemental teams like da wet boys slardar tide morphling kunkka slark with your buddies

I mean we've done plenty of thematic comps, but more because we were playing on the RP servers :hmmyes:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

doing another loop of the all hero challenge and im back at Io, its been a while what are some cool dumb build ideas to gently caress around with on him?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the only "themed" team i do is when my friend and I pick veno and necro and spam "oh, costly" and "that was costly" voice lines at each other

i guess they're both green too

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nothing touches the heart like my venom

Sssssshehehehehehe

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
salad moon of mayonnaise

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If you already got two or three heroes of the same color on your team and you don't at least consider picking one that matches you're a dang stick in the mud

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Clinkz and Skele the original Team Bones

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ok after another 25 games of earth spirit mid I've got some item thoughts.

P much never buy boots, bots could be good some times if there's an np or something otherwise roll is fine.

Pretty much always going bottle/ bracer/urn/double void stone to start, can get this going super early, bad mid matchups can be alleviated alot by judicious bottling and I'm a potato so roll kick to tower can swing a kill if they think they've got you. Windranger and slark both gave me fits tho at six and there was no killl potential left.

After that basically gonna depend on team comp, if we're squishy or have someone squishy to protect I'll go sange kaya, octarine, bkb, blade mail type items. If we've got some beef eth blade dagon has helped big time. You've got room to take a halbred instead as well so for a PA or sniper I'll get that early ghost blade into a halbred before finishing the octarine etc.

Biggest spike is def the double void stones though, with a 50 mana roll you basically don't lose mana at that point rolling and you can become crazy active on the map. poo poo like maledict you can dodge with the invincible rolling. I've been tempted to take the spell damage boost talent occasionally but losing more frames of rolling for that doesn't feel good. It's fun to play with eth blade alot too I have only ever used it much in the old style with morphling but it's a crazy effective save against high physical heroes.

Witch doctor been terrorizing my games tho

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I'm banning WD and picking NP every game. Having a belast after a 2y hiatus

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gyro's taken over as my number one Ban. So tired of getting Flakked

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i don't know if there's any mmr where your team doesn't have to be constantly reminded to kill the key supports in fights. everyone wants to blast some tanky core with all their spells and then die to an uncontested aghs WD ult. i think it's just hard to keep in mind things you can't see, like a WD standing a mile back until the fight is already half over

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It hasn't worked the last 2 fights, but I dunno I got a good feeling this time boys. We can probably burst that Tidehunter down.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

It hasn't worked the last 2 fights, but I dunno I got a good feeling this time boys. We can probably burst that Tidehunter Timbersaw down.

Sab669 posted:

It hasn't worked the last 2 fights, but I dunno I got a good feeling this time boys. We can probably burst that Timbersaw Bristleback down.

Sab669 posted:

It hasn't worked the last 2 fights, but I dunno I got a good feeling this time boys. We can probably burst that Bristleback Axe down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

today is the day

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sab669 posted:

It hasn't worked the last 2 fights, but I dunno I got a good feeling this time boys. We can probably burst that Tidehunter down.

I’m so strong guys I’m so strong.

I wasn’t out of position! Where was the team!?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Plank Walker posted:

the only "themed" team i do is when my friend and I pick veno and necro and spam "oh, costly" and "that was costly" voice lines at each other

i guess they're both green too

My stack has for years (knowing it's not great, but annoying) gone back from time-to-time to SNAKE LANE (veno+viper).

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

emdash posted:

i don't know if there's any mmr where your team doesn't have to be constantly reminded to kill the key supports in fights. everyone wants to blast some tanky core with all their spells and then die to an uncontested aghs WD ult. i think it's just hard to keep in mind things you can't see, like a WD standing a mile back until the fight is already half over

And good lord, being that WD is incredibly satisfying

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The TI Compendium stuff is up now. This is right up my alley as someone who misses the "stuff to do" like cavern crawl that they phased out :(

There's a bingo game which looks cool and the standard Fantasy play and a road to TI challenge where you win with a hero that the pros used.

Yay for TI

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The rewards seem extremely underwhelming, though.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

The rewards seem extremely underwhelming, though.

it looks like they kept all the crap that filled levels in between the good rewards like immortal treasures

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I don't know whether I actually care about any of those rewards. I know they said it wasn't going to be cosmetic focused but I figured there would be at least one.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

This update broke my ability to click things once in-game so I got an abandon, not a huge fan of it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The HUD is the only good one (for my money anyway) since the new UI so that’s cool. They’re giving the legacy voicelines out as permanent bonuses, which people have always wanted. I like the fantasy changes and the bingo. Ultimately I’m not sure why one cosmetic chest couldn’t be part of this, though. That’s what people really care about. Kind of a shame if this is the end of immortal items, though I’m guessing they’ll return somehow.

The blog says arcanas are coming after TI so people should be happy they don’t have to commit $100 or whatever to the pass to get those anymore.

emdash fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 28, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I am immensely disappointed that one, "I love DOTA so much" voice line isn't one of the Permanent Legacy Lines

that stained glass lookin artwork owns though

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

emdash posted:

The blog says arcanas are coming after TI so people should be happy they don’t have to commit $100 or whatever to the pass to get those anymore.

Arcanas returning to being a thing you buy if and when you feel like it and not a limited-time offering that requires sacrifices to the money funnel is a welcome change yeah.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

This feels like a somewhat large mismatch between expectation and reality. People were actually hyped for this. I knew we weren't going to get much but I expected more than just a HUD.

Also, someone pointed out that the new profile page makes it impossible to confirm someone being a smurf since you can't see hero winstreaks or recent rampages now and you can hide all the other stats too if you want.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Can you see the progression level? If a divine player has less than 50 levels, they’re a Smurf.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I just want another shot at companion cube Io. I was on a hiatus during that TIme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

I just want another shot at companion cube Io Axe Unleashed. I was on a hiatus during that TIme

Actual post: I hope they nerf Midas; I'm sick and tired of loving everybody building one :(