Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

GD_American posted:

I'm assuming this doesn't lead to a romp in the rear automatically, though? Like, wouldn't Russia be preparing new lines of defense as the original ones were penetrated?

Unless the cupboard is bare as far as reserves

there are other lines behind this one, but their quality is unknown (to me), and it looks like the Russians really prioritized this first one. Building all these fortifications wasn't that fast or easy, I would be surprised to see whole new fortifications springing up in a meaningful way, especially to enclose the salient and reform a unified front.
usual I'm a dumbass disclaimers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

tiaz posted:

there are other lines behind this one, but their quality is unknown (to me), and it looks like the Russians really prioritized this first one. Building all these fortifications wasn't that fast or easy, I would be surprised to see whole new fortifications springing up in a meaningful way, especially to enclose the salient and reform a unified front.
usual I'm a dumbass disclaimers, though.

I think you're broadly correct. The Russians have brought a lot of their better formations into the area so I don't think there's much hope of bursting through, but at the same time they've been counterattacking constantly without the slightest progress, which doesn't indicate an excess of manpower. I think it's a case of being cautiously hopeful, perhaps the next lines can be breached in weeks, not months.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The counteroffensive making any progress at all is a win for Ukraine. The thin edge of the wedge is in, and they just need to keep pounding it. They're operating AFVs on the far side of the minefields. Sure, they took losses, but there weren't supposed to be Ukranian mechanized formations there in the first place. They're risking an infantry squad and an AFV or two to try for the next tree line, and they're winning often enough for it to be worth keeping it up.

Remember, Tokmak is not the objective. The ability to completely interdict the road and rail routes through Tokmak are the objective. An infantry company can do that with their organic mortars and HMGs if they can get and keep eyes on those logistical routes.

Even knocking out a loaded train of supplies just once will dramatically impact Russian supply challenges. UAF is getting very close to being able to do that at will.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Tokmak airfield - because you can deploy UAVs from anywhere

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I assume that airfield has been completely unused for a long while, given how close to the front it is?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Computer viking posted:

I assume that airfield has been completely unused for a long while, given how close to the front it is?

Why not task a satellite to find out!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is the sort of thing that cyberpunk writers missed, so when nimrods say "wow the future SUCKS because we don't have teledildonic adapters from Emil Blargson's The Torment Nexus" or whatever you can shove it into their stupid faces.

I mean, I'm not saying that living in the future doesn't suck for a lot of reasons but not having flying cars or a stupid 3D metaverse are not valid ones.

gently caress you i want to be able to shoot my dick at a APC on the battlefield and blow it up successfully cause the head doubles as a HEAT warhead

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

I think you're broadly correct. The Russians have brought a lot of their better formations into the area so I don't think there's much hope of bursting through, but at the same time they've been counterattacking constantly without the slightest progress, which doesn't indicate an excess of manpower. I think it's a case of being cautiously hopeful, perhaps the next lines can be breached in weeks, not months.

Is there an any Intel on which VDV unit replaced the 810th brigade? Because my understanding was that the majority of the available VDV units were largely engaged around Bakhmut.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

TheWeedNumber posted:

gently caress you i want to be able to shoot my dick at a APC on the battlefield and blow it up successfully cause the head doubles as a HEAT warhead

That doesn't sound like it would have room for much of a payload.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
What VDV units?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
VDV, more like vOv

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

OddObserver posted:

That doesn't sound like it would have room for much of a payload.

ok fine, how about a pickup truck then or at least the engine block

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Discussion Quorum posted:

VDV, more like vOv

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Murgos posted:

Is there an any Intel on which VDV unit replaced the 810th brigade? Because my understanding was that the majority of the available VDV units were largely engaged around Bakhmut.

Per the ISW last week, most of the 7th and 76th VDV divisions are in the area with an independent brigade on one flank. Apparently the reinforcements they've brought in over the last week are motorized units from the 41st combined arms.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

VDV, more like vOv

Noice

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

VDV, more like vOv

vv

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I don't get it, but at this point I'm afraid to ask

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Flyinglemur posted:

vdv, more like (shrugging face)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

rotate -90°

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

rotate -90°

>
o
>
?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1706219091852177604

quote:

Footage of a US-supplied AN/TWQ-1 Avenger SHORAD system in service with the Ukrainian 1129th Anti-Aircraft Missile Regiment successfully downing a Russian cruise missile.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/TWQ-1_Avenger

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21971

quote:

According to Ukrainian partisans, recruiting Russian officers to help plan the devastating missile attack on Russia's Black Sea Fleet was made easier by the fact many hadn’t been paid by the Kremlin.

lol, lmao even

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

tiaz posted:

vdv, more like (shrugging face)

Yeah I got that I don't get the vOv vs VDV part

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
vOv :shrug:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

JFC I'm so slow. Thank you lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

Yeah I got that I don't get the vOv vs VDV part

plz explain it to AOD

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
I asked a lot of people but they just kept saying VDV and then shrugging. Its like that time I was asking what IDK meant. People would say they didn't know, but I have a feeling they did know...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The EU spends a lot of money on financial aid for Ukraine, I'm glad that this is not only being used to repair/rebuild parts of Ukraine, but also keep the soldiers paid, and enabling them to bribe Russians.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Turns out that not paying your military impedes your ability to fight a war. Who would have guessed?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Turns out that not paying your military impedes your ability to fight a war. Who would have guessed?

Also turns out slaughtering experienced troops and then not having a real training pipeline results in poor troops who cannot fight effectively. Who knew.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Good soldiers survive, bad soldiers don’t deserve to, da?

probably said unironically by their commanders :smith:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CommieGIR posted:

Also turns out slaughtering experienced troops and then not having a real training pipeline results in poor troops who cannot fight effectively. Who knew.

"All you need is a group of men, or women, give them matching clothes, a few hours training, something that passes for a weapon, and you have an army." If you can't trust Max Brooks on ideal force generation, who can you trust?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Skanky Burns posted:

I asked a lot of people but they just kept saying VDV and then shrugging. Its like that time I was asking what IDK meant. People would say they didn't know, but I have a feeling they did know...

third base

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

"All you need is a group of men, or women, give them matching clothes, a few hours training, something that passes for a weapon, and you have an army." If you can't trust Max Brooks on ideal force generation, who can you trust?

He didn't say you would have a good army.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Imagine going to Finance and not getting a pay issue resolved, and so you sell secrets to the enemy to make ends meet, just lol

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Imagine going to Finance and not getting a pay issue resolved, and so you sell secrets to the enemy to make ends meet, just lol

Well when you don’t get the looted refrigerators you were promised, you have to get your paycheck somehow.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

When finance says “yea I stole it, and next month’s too because you asked about it” the choice becomes fairly clear.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Where oh where is a good counterbattery barrage when it's needed the most?

https://twitter.com/jacksonhinklle/status/1705972981418152064?t=J8sVF77Zbb6f9IE99wjwBg&s=19

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That poo poo seemed very light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I was informed that not having a training pipeline was perfectly fine because the troops in the field would be able to teach the new troops everything they needed to know.