Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Let's have a look at this Impcat thing, seems neat!

Let's go to the reddit and find the community models pack...

Ah some user comments what do we have here

"Somehow there’s an error for the sororitas / sister panty file and its not possible to Download it :("

:bighow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
dudes rock

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

SuperKlaus posted:

"Somehow there’s an error for the sororitas / sister panty file and its not possible to Download it :("

That's just what the default Impcat battle sister model is called, so that user isn't asking for anything weird. But yeah...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SuperKlaus posted:

Isn't the warhammer community so mature these days

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

Excuse you that's the Anvilus Siege Force. Nothing is more James Workshop than latinizing a Germanic word.

I also have faux-Latin blindness.

BizarroAzrael posted:

The "big four" as established in 2nd ed, although I would think Black Templars will have a book too, although maybe they will be content with their units under Gladius or whatever. At least the Angels both at least put up the front of organising themselves per the Codex Astartes.

Yeah BT have unique units so I assume will also have their own codex.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Al-Saqr posted:

My tyranids codex isnt even here yet despite pre-ordering it. Gonna have to send an angry letter to GW.

I only got mine last Monday despite ordering it the Saturday they went up for preorder. There seem to have been some weird delays on their end sending them out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sherbert Hoover posted:

That's just what the default Impcat battle sister model is called, so that user isn't asking for anything weird. But yeah...

Someone was asking on Facebook for Sororitas colour scheme suggestions for a nearly nude 3d print. :rolleyes:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ro5s posted:

I only got mine last Monday despite ordering it the Saturday they went up for preorder. There seem to have been some weird delays on their end sending them out.

I've noticed even in the UK the shipping is much more delayed. It used to be Rapid fast, where if I placed an order on Monday I'd probably have it by Wednesday.

Now the delivery estimates are 48 hours to 9 days!

Partly I think this is Royal Mail being bad but I actually think it's mostly warehouse issues. The manager in my local GW alluded to warehouse issues when I was in there last.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Z the IVth posted:

Someone was asking on Facebook for Sororitas colour scheme suggestions for a nearly nude 3d print. :rolleyes:
It’s a real pity that Sororitas attracts so many weirdos, I feel like I always need to reassure people that I’m here for the insane space Catholicism, not sexy battle ladies.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Ashcans posted:

It’s a real pity that Sororitas attracts so many weirdos, I feel like I always need to reassure people that I’m here for the insane space Catholicism, not sexy battle ladies.

To be honest you can usually tell which player is which within about 5 minutes of meeting them.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Ashcans posted:

GW did a really good job not overtly sexualising them, so I think you are safe as long as you don't use conversions or third party models obviously intended to cater to the male gaze. The official models look like hardened warriors with dubious priorities regarding war vehicle design, which is as it should be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Online, of course, it's a lot harder until you get jumpscared with their "conversions"

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Does anyone play 30k/Horus Heresy ITT? I’m giving serious thought to dipping a toe in but only if I can use my existing rhinos, predators, vindicators and land raider. I know there are Deimos pattern Horus heresy specific versions of some of these, just curious about how different they are and how likely the community is to frown upon that sort of thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Might be a question for the 30k thread if anything.
But I think the answer depends on your opponent and how open they are when it comes to "proxies".

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Does anyone play 30k/Horus Heresy ITT? I’m giving serious thought to dipping a toe in but only if I can use my existing rhinos, predators, vindicators and land raider. I know there are Deimos pattern Horus heresy specific versions of some of these, just curious about how different they are and how likely the community is to frown upon that sort of thing.

I can tell you that the 30k and 40k Rhinos are identical in footprint. I use a 30k one in my 40k World Eaters list and it never even occurred to me that someone might have an issue with it. We do have a dedicated 30k thread you can ask in as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kitchner posted:

To be honest you can usually tell which player is which within about 5 minutes of meeting them.

One nice thing I’ve noticed coming back to Hams is that there are actually women playing now. In high school I remember every girl who expressed interest, if she didn’t get gatekept/creeped away, everyone would be like « oh did you know there is a whole rear end lady faction for you, ms boob haver? »

As if there’s no such thing as a woman who likes anime elves or space bugs, they MUST only stay away because they need a lady faction

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As if there’s no such thing as a woman who likes anime elves or space bugs, they MUST only stay away because they need a lady faction

I always found a lot of women played Tyranids, or at least liked them as a faction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not surprised. The primary Space Marine vs Chaos Space Marine conflict can literally be summed up as "dumb boys poo poo because boys can't talk to each other about their feelings"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
is it me or is the Necron Combat Patrol box really hard to find? I have a friend who's a necron fan who I'm introducing to Combat patrol next weekend but I cant find a link to a reasonably priced Necron Combat patrol.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Al-Saqr posted:

is it me or is the Necron Combat Patrol box really hard to find? I have a friend who's a necron fan who I'm introducing to Combat patrol next weekend but I cant find a link to a reasonably priced Necron Combat patrol.

The 9th ed. combat patrol isn't what the 10th ed. combat patrol list is. Safe bet is that with the codex a new CP box with the doomstalker etc. will come out, so I'm sure they're winding down production of the one with the airplane.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Yes, you can absolutely use 40k tanks in 30k. It's just an aesthetic thing and no one will mind. A rhino's a rhino, a land raider's a land raider.

As far as advice goes, the standard 40k predator loadouts are pretty good tank hunters (take lascannon sponsons with either turret). If you want something weirder, 30k has something like nine turret options for them which are covered by the two deimos kits. Land raiders are great delivery vehicles for melee elites and decent anti-tank in their own right. Demolisher cannon vindicators are in a weird spot right now, but I think they're pretty good in a squadron of three and they're only like 110 points a pop. They hit like trucks, but there's been some rejiggering of stats to where they aren't the anti-everything pie plate they were in older editions. Just need to pick your targets a bit. That said, I'm planning a full squadron of them myself so I'm not talking poo poo here. I love those things.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

I'm not surprised. The primary Space Marine vs Chaos Space Marine conflict can literally be summed up as "dumb boys poo poo because boys can't talk to each other about their feelings"

To me, that primary conflict of WH40K can be expressed by a Simpsons quotation:

"Disemboweler 4: the game where condemned criminals dig at each other with rusty hooks."

Curiously enough it comes from a bit about male interests and sexism.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Athas posted:

GW did a really good job not overtly sexualising them, so I think you are safe as long as you don't use conversions or third party models obviously intended to cater to the male gaze. The official models look like hardened warriors with dubious priorities regarding war vehicle design, which is as it should be.
Yea, this is true, in particular the new Repentia models are really good with their weight-lifter/underarmor clothing and generally more aggressive/warrior look.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One nice thing I’ve noticed coming back to Hams is that there are actually women playing now. In high school I remember every girl who expressed interest, if she didn’t get gatekept/creeped away, everyone would be like « oh did you know there is a whole rear end lady faction for you, ms boob haver? »

There is a woman at my local store who plays Ultramarines and has been steadily converting them all to be female models (mostly headswaps and other small changes) and it's really nice that no one in the community has been a pain about it or said anything besides compliments and constructive criticism on the technicals, the difference in the whole vibe from when I was playing in the dawn of the millennium is very cool.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A friend of mine dipped her toes in the hobby years ago and basically quit after a GW staff member asked her what she was buying for her boyfriend on her first visit to the store alone.

She came back and absolutely demolished my 15 years trying to be an OK painter, and not only paints amazing looking models, but she really does smash them out quickly too. All while working full time as a manager in a care home.

Her preferred faction? Death Guard. She loves painting all the gross stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well she works in a care home so she's got ample source material and can just paint what she knows.*

Source: my prior life :stare:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

Well she works in a care home so she's got ample source material and can just paint what she knows.*

Source: my prior life :stare:

Her Great Unclean One has each individual boil painted with shiny pus.

So yes.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

OK I really wanna see that Deathguard army. Deathguard players often seem to have a connection to disease, my brother plays them and does medical research. He paints them up good and gross.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

SuperKlaus posted:

To me, that primary conflict of WH40K can be expressed by a Simpsons quotation:

"Disemboweler 4: the game where condemned criminals dig at each other with rusty hooks."

Curiously enough it comes from a bit about male interests and sexism.

I think the gap between these two povs is partly just that there's always room for interpretation of things and partly that the way that GW does fluff causes some narrative whiplash. I liked the first HH book because it felt like Abnett was setting up a Greek tragedy where the Emperor couldn't tell Horus the truth about chaos without undermining his own goals, but that then led Horus to confront the fact that his spacedad was lying to his face which set up a feeling of rejection. But then the next author comes in and hams up Horus as a powerhungry mustache-twirling evil tyrant. I don't think they ever settled on any core theme within the writing team.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Notahippie posted:

I think the gap between these two povs is partly just that there's always room for interpretation of things and partly that the way that GW does fluff causes some narrative whiplash. I liked the first HH book because it felt like Abnett was setting up a Greek tragedy where the Emperor couldn't tell Horus the truth about chaos without undermining his own goals, but that then led Horus to confront the fact that his spacedad was lying to his face which set up a feeling of rejection. But then the next author comes in and hams up Horus as a powerhungry mustache-twirling evil tyrant. I don't think they ever settled on any core theme within the writing team.

I think a lot of the HH books set this up, but some others also add supplementary reasons for each primarch behaving the ways they do.

I fall back a lot to the 'you created me, am I a person or an instrument of your will' tension that each primarch has at one point or another with the emperor, but that's more my own interests showing up in the work. I think it's great that there are so many books / perspectives / writing styles because it gives each reader a chance to form their own relationship with the material, which is very 40k.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Virtual Russian posted:

OK I really wanna see that Deathguard army. Deathguard players often seem to have a connection to disease, my brother plays them and does medical research. He paints them up good and gross.

https://instagram.com/amy_who_does_stuff

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

The new Combat Patrol box for Necrons doesn't exist, yet. The 9E one was delisted when 10E started because it was kind of a disaster.

jassi007 posted:

The 9th ed. combat patrol isn't what the 10th ed. combat patrol list is. Safe bet is that with the codex a new CP box with the doomstalker etc. will come out, so I'm sure they're winding down production of the one with the airplane.

They've stopped completely. It was delisted a week before 10E launched and is now only available through 3rd party sellers that still have it.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 25, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’ll probably just make me some Jump Assault Intercessors with the spare indomitus bodies and vanguard veteran jet packs I got lying around.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks, these are great. The Great Unclean One is a masterpiece.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Notahippie posted:

I have no proof of this outside of what the books ended up being but I feel like the idea of there being a "writing team" at all is probably wishful thinking. I'd love to be wrong though.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I've always thought it was a huge mistake to try to humanize chaos followers and make them into tragically misguided figures, rather than purely evil and insane people twisted by forces beyond their control.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Specifically I feel like there's less of a focus on the corrupting influence of chaos than there should be. Like chaos marines are often talked about like they wanted to be powerful in a certain way and took a deal with chaos that made them more powerful in that way, like it was a fairly rational choice to them because of how hosed up they were in the first place. I think it works better when it's plain that despite how hosed up they were to begin with, they never would have taken this deal were they not made to want it after being driven insane by chaos.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've always thought it was a huge mistake to try to humanize chaos followers and make them into tragically misguided figures, rather than purely evil and insane people twisted by forces beyond their control.

Lorgar is like the most moustache twillrling chaos villain that isn't Erebus and the HH novels definetly made him more dimensional than "he's a bad guy, ain't it?".

He's spiteful, mercurial, petulant, and arrogant, but he also has father issues and sort of had a point about the emperor lying and the chaos gods being, well, gods. Lorgar is treated like poo poo by all his brothers so part of you starts feeling sympathy tic and then BAM he gets the upper hand and he's a spiteful gloating dick head.

Angron being a blood thirsty lunatic but with a tragic past is also excellent. His speech when he confronts Guilliman is absolutely top tier book moments.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The whole point of Chaos is that anyone is vulnerable to it. The only truly Chaos resistant humans, as a group, are either hypnotically indoctrinated (space marines) or literal religious zealots (sisters and also black templars)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eej posted:

The whole point of Chaos is that anyone is vulnerable to it. The only truly Chaos resistant humans, as a group, are either hypnotically indoctrinated (space marines) or literal religious zealots (sisters and also black templars)

Or very short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

S.J. posted:

I have no proof of this outside of what the books ended up being but I feel like the idea of there being a "writing team" at all is probably wishful thinking. I'd love to be wrong though.

There's definitely a Heresy collab channel of some kind, and there might also be an inner and outer circle thing going on with the "core" writers, but I don't have a source for that last part.