Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/doug_clawson/status/1706147860125716480

This is something that a good GM allows to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sean Payton may possibly be a first-year candidate. The Broncos openly quit on him today.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sean Payton may possibly be a first-year candidate. The Broncos openly quit on him today.

If they keep him he'll probably be able to reunite with Dennis Allen next year.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/doug_clawson/status/1706147860125716480

This is something that a good GM allows to happen.
Is that entirely fair, though? The plan was quite obviously "Aaron Rodgers plays and we'll see what Wilson can do after a year or two of learning from him", I don't think you can ding the GM for failing to plan for Rodgers' career ending after four snaps.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Is that entirely fair, though? The plan was quite obviously "Aaron Rodgers plays and we'll see what Wilson can do after a year or two of learning from him", I don't think you can ding the GM for failing to plan for Rodgers' career ending after four snaps.

You can ding him for not getting a good backup qb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CapnAndy posted:

Wilson was such complete dogshit last year that they had a mutiny on the team and started the corpse of Joe Flacco to end the season and then said in the media how much Wilson needed a redshirt year or 2 this year so of course it made perfect sense for him to be the backup to a 40 year old QB without having another QB on the roster who can go in and not embarrass himself.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My conspiracy is that Aaron didn't want a good QB2 to threaten him

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Despera posted:

You can ding him for not getting a good backup qb
With what money and/or picks?

Anyhoo, fire Josh McDaniels, he is both stupid and a coward.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Benne posted:

My conspiracy is that Aaron didn't want a good QB2 to threaten him

He got hurt 3 weeks ago. There are still no non embarrassing QB options here.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
So does Gannon get fired if the Cardinals don't get the #1 pick?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I feel like this season we've seen more bad coaching than we have for like, the past ten years. Of course, it could be the double whammy of kicking a field goal down 8 and getting 70 points hung up on a team that's making me think that way.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

CapnAndy posted:

https://twitter.com/SleeperNFL/status/1706155080368447872?s=19

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

CapnAndy posted:

There is zero reason that there shouldn't be some UDFA with a higher ceiling than Tim Boyle on the practice squad.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Definitely a good thing to have a head coach who doesn't know you're allowed to go for two despite going for two on the previous possession.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Jacoby brisett with neither

washington has him now, offer a 7th

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Don’t think there’s any chance of this. The Broncos have sunk too much into him and Russ, they can’t cut bait on either so soon. Payton is also still generally well thought of around the league and that job would become as toxic as the bears job if they fired him after a year.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Shame that Davante Adams is spending his prime years playing for a coach who attempts a field goal down 8 with 4 minutes left, and after being gifted a chance to redeem his idiocy via a stupid penalty, attempts another field goal on a shorter field with less time on the clock.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Don’t think there’s any chance of this. The Broncos have sunk too much into him and Russ, they can’t cut bait on either so soon. Payton is also still generally well thought of around the league and that job would become as toxic as the bears job if they fired him after a year.

OTOH, 70-20.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I wonder if Vance Joseph takes the hit instead because woof

Broncos defense was great last year so we know it's all coaching

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Febreeze posted:

The talent level on the Broncos defense is also way exaggerated because of how good they looked under Evero in the first half the year last year.

They started coming apart over the second half of the season

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Febreeze posted:

broncos gave up two picks to hire payton, vance for sure is gone

the big problem with the broncos is that their linebackers are slow and they only have one patrick surtain (albeit one that happened to get fuckin COOKED by robbie chosen); miami is uniquely suited to making them look fuckin silly. vance is also way worse than vic as it turns out

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In a Madden video game world sure. But as hilarious as Payton getting Revenge of the Nerds’d by McDaniel was (and it was real loving funny). You cannot hand pick your guy, make a huge rear end deal about it, pay him gently caress You money plus picks to come out of cushy retirement, let him beat his chest all offseason about how much better he is than the last guy, then fire him mid season. Coach salaries aren’t public which is weird, but Payton is rumored to be one of the highest paid coaches in all of pro sports. There will be fall guys upon fall guys, including Russ

The Walmart failsons could afford to ditch him. And hell, I would respect it. But they won’t. Check back here in the 2025 thread

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

The talent level on the Broncos defense is also way exaggerated because of how good they looked under Evero in the first half the year last year.

This is 100% correct.

They can fire VJ but nobody wants that job.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Peyton isn’t on the hot seat but he deserves all the poo poo in the world for following up running his mouth about Hackett with.. this

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Payton is also still generally well thought of around the league and that job would become as toxic as the bears job if they fired him after a year.
Is he? It really seems like most the league thinks he's a huge rear end in a top hat who runs his mouth and wants to embarrass him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bumhead posted:

Peyton isn’t on the hot seat but he deserves all the poo poo in the world for following up running his mouth about Hackett with.. this

Nothing he said about Hackett wasn't true.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is he? It really seems like most the league thinks he's a huge rear end in a top hat who runs his mouth and wants to embarrass him?

I mean yeah he's disliked but not disrespected by the league. Hackett has been an on and off the field Joke. Payton is considered a tryhard rear end in a top hat whose methods produced enough wins in NO nobody would take a shot at him

I cannot envision Payton handling losing well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Robert Saleh is a dogshit 12-25 coach who thought hiring the biggest joke in the NFL as his OC was a good idea even before Aaron Rodgers' luggage was there for Hackett to carry. He should be fired today simply for his embarrassing staff alone.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I wonder what it would take to get Saleh fired mid season

The prospect of A A Ron is probably gonna save him tho

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

MikeCrotch posted:

I'm happy to introduce the Jets new starting quarterback, Brett Favre!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Payton had a lot of 7-9 seasons (in a row even) and dropped quite a few stinkers in nola. He's just got a great start and end in nola that covered up all that.

Granted, all his struggles in Denver really make me question why he wanted out of nola. Oh I don't want to deal with a rebuild of finding a hot qb again. Let's go to Denver where they are in need of a rebuild to find a hof qb.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

They also traded away Chubb to the Dolphins

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

really queer Christmas posted:

Oh I don't want to deal with a rebuild of finding a hot qb again. Let's go to Denver where they are in need of a rebuild to find a spicy qb.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Payton had a lot of 7-9 seasons (in a row even) and dropped quite a few stinkers in nola. He's just got a great start and end in nola that covered up all that.

Granted, all his struggles in Denver really make me question why he wanted out of nola. Oh I don't want to deal with a rebuild of finding a hot qb again. Let's go to Denver where they are in need of a rebuild to find a hof qb.

His worst season in 15 season was 7-9. That's pretty drat incredible. 8 11+ win seasons. He's a great coach.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

The last time a Jets HC got fired mid-season, it was a guy with the last name Winner and he'd lost 7 of his first 9 games that year, the last being 52-19 to the Colts

So either they need a 30+ point blowout (they play the Dolphins twice and the Chiefs next week, definitely not something that can be ruled out), or a cruel funny twist akin to a guy named Winner being a born loser (Saleh decided to pursue his dream of coaching football after his brother survived 9/11, and is still coaching the Jets after the 9/11-denying QB he gave up everything for had a near-career-ending injury 22 years later on 9/11. If irony didn't get him then, I don't think it can)

For the only time ever, I will root for Mahomes or Tua. Put the dagger in. This farce can't go another 3 months

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wish Payton was running the Jets despite what happened yesterday.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

all his struggles in Denver

Lol it is September. Denver's a trainwreck but we already knew that and it's year 1. Also the offense is showing signs of life despite a weathered line and blatantly mediocre receiving corps, which is why Payton was hired in the first place.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Lol it is September. Denver's a trainwreck but we already knew that and it's year 1. Also the offense is showing signs of life despite a weathered line and blatantly mediocre receiving corps, which is why Payton was hired in the first place.

Giving up the most points in a game since the days of the Gemini program will put a bit of heat on anyone.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

wandler20 posted:

His worst season in 15 season was 7-9. That's pretty drat incredible. 8 11+ win seasons. He's a great coach.

Just wanna add that the Saints were 3-13 the season prior to Payton coming in. He helped take a franchise that outside of a few glimmers had been mediocre forever, and help mold them into an annual contender virtually overnight

edit: I take that back about comparing the 3-13 year because I just remembered that was the Katrina season and that's simply not a fair point for comparison, but I still think the rest stands

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Lmao just read that when Payton was banned from coaching and was coaching his kid's high school team he got film of the one team that beat him and called in Bill Parcells to help him break it down

(They still lost when they played again)