Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

It certainly makes me revise my thought that Izzy is cooked. He might just be loving up.

I don't think it indicates much one way or the other about his fighting ability, I don't mean to diminish drunk driving in general, but he got pulled over slightly over the limit, not drunk enough to slam his head on a cop car's hood like Jones, so while obviously it's a thing he (or anyone)shouldn't do, I doubt it has much to do with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I’m not aware that Izzy cuts a lot of weight, but it speaks to how little he cares about his weight and dieting.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Y’all are reading too much into the Izzy loss. Strickland is just a better fighter. All hail the champ.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
After all, the new best base for MMA is being a goober named Sean.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
P4P best names in MMA?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The new meta is to get a DUI ahead of a title fight to guarantee your excuse for a rematch

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Question for the thread: Who was the MMA fighter that got you into watching/following MMA?

Even though I bought the UFC 3 PPV live back in 1994 (didn't watch much MMA after that for a few years) I'd have to say it was Mirko Cro cop highlights that got me into it. So he was my first fav fighter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kragger99 posted:

Question for the thread: Who was the MMA fighter that got you into watching/following MMA?

Even though I bought the UFC 3 PPV live back in 1994 (didn't watch much MMA after that for a few years) I'd have to say it was Mirko Cro cop highlights that got me into it. So he was my first fav fighter.

Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture, Karo Parysian all got my attention in different ways. I was into it in the early early days as a teenager, but it was hard to follow/watch. Those three really got my eyes on the sport quite a bit more.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Tito Ortiz
:ortiz:

and GSP

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Kragger99 posted:

Karo Parysian, Ken Shamrock, Nick Diaz, etc

I lived pretty close to Carlos Newton and his gym, so that was big for me at the time too

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

kimbo305 posted:

P4P best names in MMA?

Curtis Blaydes is the strongest name in MMA, his record would be way more lopsided if they counted his wins in Outworld as pro fights

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

Curtis Blaydes is the strongest name in MMA, his record would be way more lopsided if they counted his wins in Outworld as pro fights

This took me a second, lol

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture, Karo Parysian all got my attention in different ways. I was into it in the early early days as a teenager, but it was hard to follow/watch. Those three really got my eyes on the sport quite a bit more.

Kazuki Sakuraba's Pride stuff, and the others there like Mark Kerr, CroCop, Vanderlei. A friend showed me an early Pride in the early 2000s and took it from there.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1706359867085295675

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Kragger99 posted:

i became a fan when machida seemed 100% invincible and i'm so glad he never lost once in his career and retired undefeated

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Don Frye in Godzilla: Final Wars was my first exposure to MMA but I didn't start watching until 2021 though

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Kragger99 posted:

Frank Mir

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I had always been interested in MMA, but Ken Shamrock in the WWF plus parents who had recently given up on content bans were what got me to finally rent UFC tapes from Blockbuster. But the guy that wound up sticking with me most?

The Ninja Cop, Steve Jennum, who despite looking incredibly physically unimposing and having no apparent standout skills managed to win UFC 3, a tournament that included Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock. Except Royce exhausted himself fighting Kimo in the first round, so he had to pull out, and Shamrock hurt himself in the second round, so he had to pull out, meaning the tournament final was between Harold Howard, with one win in the first round, and Steve Jennum, a tournament alternate who had not fought that night and in fact had never fought before at all.

In hindsight, the way I watch the sport for its complete bullshit now makes a lot of sense.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The Ninja Cop, Steve Jennum, who despite looking incredibly physically unimposing and having no apparent standout skills managed to win UFC 3, a tournament that included Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock. Except Royce exhausted himself fighting Kimo in the first round, so he had to pull out, and Shamrock hurt himself in the second round, so he had to pull out, meaning the tournament final was between Harold Howard, with one win in the first round, and Steve Jennum, a tournament alternate who had not fought that night and in fact had never fought before at all.

In hindsight, the way I watch the sport for its complete bullshit now makes a lot of sense.

This is amazing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Crocop was my guy. Kicked off my love of doing kickboxing and watching fights.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Anderson was the first guy I really went to bat for. But along with that, my buddy showed me all the early UFCs, so Don Frye, Harold Howard, all the insane early jacked up longpants guys rule

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
The first MMA I ever saw was king of the cage: wet and wild so by default my first favourite fighter is herb Dean

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I was aware of MMA but didn’t develop a fandom until I saw footage of Wanderlei’s berzerker barrage back when people still spelled his name with a V.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I can't really remember which fighters originally caught my eye because :catdrugs:, you might be able to dig through my posts and see if there's anyone I posted about whenever I made my first PSPTKO posts, in fact after typing this I just tried to do that and as best as I can tell the answer might be Arlovski? Probably some of the other Russian-speaking fighters as well, Oleinik, Dagestan guys, etc. Didn't know much about Oleinik's past back then.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

it was arlovski for me. i grew up watching ufc tapes because im old, but andrei was the first fighter i can really remember thinking "he rules"

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I think for me it's Roy Nelson vs Cheick Kongo for sheer wtf is happening, then Anderson Silva and Mighty Mouse

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 26, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ufc not acknowledging harold howards contributions as a pioneer in the sport is a crock of poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it was oleg taktarov for me when i was watching the first view ufc's the video shop had on tape in the late 90s. i don't know why. just took a shine to the guy. it was incredibly depressing to hear he was fighting this year.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

i got into mma way later than most people in this thread but for me it was mark hunt who got me into it. specifically his fight with struve. I had been watching for around a year and a half because my friends would buy the shows, but hadnt really gotten behind a fighter till hunt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

I had always been interested in MMA, but Ken Shamrock in the WWF plus parents who had recently given up on content bans were what got me to finally rent UFC tapes from Blockbuster. But the guy that wound up sticking with me most?

I owned this on VHS and it may still be kickin' around somewhere.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I started with the first season of the Ultimate Fighter and had a BBQ to watch the finale. That was my hook.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
It was Machida for me, my first favorite fighter.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

kensei posted:

I started with the first season of the Ultimate Fighter and had a BBQ to watch the finale. That was my hook.

pretty loving good hook to be fair.

ditto mark hunt.

in fact ditto whatever got you peeps to start posting here. it's been cool going down memory lane.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
TUF 1 for me as well. Weirdo Diego and Forest seemed cool. It wasn't until Rashad vs Forest that I actually bought a PPV, so everything before that was TUF, Fight Night cards, or UFC Unleashed, so dudes like Ben Saunders and David Loiseau were my guys as well.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I’ll admit to it being Connor, if only to get some statistical realism in here.

I think part of the Notorious documentary came on TV one night, and there was something very endearing about this kid from Dublin being so buzzed by the hotel room in Vegas and the watches and stuff.

It must have been in the lead up to the Aldo fight, cos the next thing I remember is hearing on the radio that he’d knocked out the champ in 14 seconds, and that’s basically when I started paying attention I guess.

I remember seeing some 20 years ago, and it being too brutal to stomach.

Hilarious how recent that is, and yet how even things like “TV” and “Radio” are basically relics now.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Genki Sudo walkout videos. And then Genki Sudo versus Butterbean.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I honestly don't remember what clicked for me when i got into it or who it was. I know I knew of UFC pre TUF1 but beyond that I'm not so sure. I think i just randomly saw fights I would download. I probably couldn't have named more than one or two guys.

I know GSP was my favorite soon as I saw him but I don't even remember what fight that was.

I do know however that Conor got me back into the sport. I took a solid year away from really watching the sport at all just seeing the occasional headline. Was probably 2014 or so I heard of him and was like drat this kid is good. And he honestly was a big reason I took my first trip to Vegas to see my first UFC event live. Just a little old card, completely forgetable UFC 189

Also Brock was really big to. A buddy brought me over to one of his friend's house to watch UFC 100 cause he knew I loved Brock back in WWE. I'm not that close to the buddy but his friend; him and I are great friends solely cause of UFC. Probably watched ever PPV with him since baring a dozen or so

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 26, 2023

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Some time in late 2009 there was a really shoddy video streaming website I'd visit that was just a dozen or so links to automated playlists of whatever the person who ran the site liked - mostly older sitcoms like The Cosby Show, Golden Girls, Rosanne - and one of the streams was clips from contemporary MMA fighting organizations, UFC included. After watching it a few times through indecisive boredom I got the bug and checked out some UFC events. I'd probably say that Jose Aldo was my first real "holy poo poo I need more of this sport" fighter, though Renan Barao and Mark Hunt were definitely early favorites too.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The shoddy video streaming reminds me, I had at least three friends who didn't give a single gently caress about the sport ask me how to watch Bob Sapp fights because of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wUeUNKgDY

god you can straight up count the pixels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Brock Lesnar and UFC 100 I think. Brock was a dick back then and I just wanted someone to beat him. Started watching the PPVs and that was it.

Not sure why I thought of this but I think this is the best MMA promo of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78SuVHM9CM