Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Winner? The only winning move is to buy the game and not play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What is this, the videogame deals thread?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
not enjoying the bonewheel skeletons in armored core 6, no sir

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon- The Earth Demon drops the water card. The EARTH Demon drops the WATER card. This bugs me way more than it reasonably should.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Randalor posted:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon- The Earth Demon drops the water card. The EARTH Demon drops the WATER card. This bugs me way more than it reasonably should.

The earth is like 70 percent water though.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Actually he drops the ice card.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bossy lady posted:

The earth is like 70 percent water though.

Just the surface. Earth is mostly rock by volume.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

SkeletonHero posted:

Actually he drops the ice card.
That's right. The [God of] Water card is instead dropped by the ice monsters

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Randalor posted:

Wow you got cards to drop? I usually just do the glitch to use any card whenever you want even if you don't have it

Unless they patched that out

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Meowywitch posted:

Wow you got cards to drop? I usually just do the glitch to use any card whenever you want even if you don't have it

Unless they patched that out
They did not

The drop rates are awful, but you can usually get the cards you want within about 5 min. The two big issues are that you will get, maybe, one or two cards organically when playing; and that there's no way to tell which enemies drop cards in the first place. It absolutely requires outside knowledge or kid-on-a-roadtrip levels of free time to just fill out the beastiary drops yourself. Which, granted, is a somewhat valid design for a literal GBA title, but it ages very poorly outside that specific context.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

not enjoying the bonewheel skeletons in armored core 6, no sir

There’s so many of them and they’re so fast and they each give a loving battle log so I must kill them.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

They did not

The drop rates are awful, but you can usually get the cards you want within about 5 min. The two big issues are that you will get, maybe, one or two cards organically when playing; and that there's no way to tell which enemies drop cards in the first place. It absolutely requires outside knowledge or kid-on-a-roadtrip levels of free time to just fill out the beastiary drops yourself. Which, granted, is a somewhat valid design for a literal GBA title, but it ages very poorly outside that specific context.

I'm playing it on the Castlevania Advance collection, one nice feature is that a prompt comes up if the enemy has a card and if you've collected it yet. Just a shame the drop rates are piss-poor on cards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lies of P, it's a perfect block based game and the block is bad. Unlike games like Revengeance or Sekiro, where you tap the block button right before being hit, in Lies of P you have to be holding down the block button when the attack lands (I think this is what's going on, anyway.) So instead of one action, tapping, perfect blocking is now three: press block button, hold it until the attack connects, release button. Right now I'm on a boss that busts out something like a 15-hit combo when he's nearly dead. So that's 45 perfectly timed actions to avoid damage (and the timing is tougher than the other two games I mentioned.) Keep in mind this is a game where 2-4 hits will kill you.

Also, long boss runs. They're sort of just long enough to be annoying, it'll take you thirty seconds and you'll have to dodge 2 or 3 enemies. For the boss I'm currently on you have to run across a narrow beam with a swinging obstacle over it that can knock you off and make you reset the boss run. But it's just a weird little gently caress you to make fighting a very difficult boss slightly more annoying. I think they must have taken to heart that game design "wisdom" that seems to have caught on that says players need downtime between fights so boss runs are necessary. This is real stupid, we have games without boss runs and as far I can tell pretty much everyone prefers it that way.

Midway through you unlock this time-based system where you basically farm a currency for consumables that you can use during boss fights. It's like something out of a phone game. The game would be instantly improved if they just gave us an unlimited number of all those consumables. I have a hard time imagining any soulslike fan wanting this kind of poo poo.

I think all the reviews I've seen of this game have a part where they say something like "while the game is hard, it is of course a pale hardness shadow when compared to Hard Souls, I mean Dark Souls, the hardgame by hard game studios From Software which is, it goes without saying, the hardest game ever to hard." But I guess the dirty secret of Dark Souls is that for the most part it isn't actually that hard? For every Godskin Duo or Pontiff Sulyvan, there are 5 or 10 bosses that aren't all that tough. Almost every boss in this game as felt like fighting Sulyvan for the first time, I think the janky block mechanic might be a big part of the problem.

For all that I'm still enjoying the game, but there are a ton of places where it would be a lot better if they had done things just slightly differently.

Randalor posted:

I'm playing it on the Castlevania Advance collection, one nice feature is that a prompt comes up if the enemy has a card and if you've collected it yet. Just a shame the drop rates are piss-poor on cards.

Did they patch out the bug that let you use cards you don't have yet? That was some pretty fun Pokemon Red/Blue style jank. The worst were definitely the holy/dark cards whose enemies only existed near the end of that big gauntlet that unlocked based on, I wanna say, map completion.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Sep 19, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Moon Monster posted:

Did they patch out the bug that let you use cards you don't have yet? That was some pretty fun Pokemon Red/Blue style jank. The worst were definitely the holy/dark cards whose enemies only existed near the end of that big gauntlet that unlocked based on, I wanna say, map completion.

Nope. Just straight up the same bugs and glitches that exist in the original.

And I still can't beat Dracula. :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

This is exactly why I never got too far in it back in the day-- I wasn't buying Nintendo Power anymore, I didn't have friends who had the game, I just realized that the drop rates were hot rear end and said "screw this let's go do literally anything else."

Did plow through Harmony of Dissonance on a terrible family vacation though, one of those ones where the parents drag you to a hotel they want to stay in with no consideration for how much of a goblin family they've raised.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thank God my parents were loners that didn't leave the house often

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
CotM was my first Castlevania and I was playing it on my first gen GBA too so I'm pretty sure it was responsible for my eyes drastically worsening in late middle school

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I can't stop calling the game "Lies of P(enis)"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In pikmin 1 and 2, you can point the right stick somewhere to swarm your entire army of pikmin in that direction at once and they'll automatically attack/interact with anything they collide with. you can use it to swarm them into one big enemy or sweep over several small targets. Pikmin 3 and 4 deleted this functionality and replaced it with a button to make your army charge at a single target, which makes the "maul this one thing" case easier but the "sweep over many things" case much more awkward.

I just completed a sidequest in pikmin 4 that required completing basically the entire game, and the reward was an item that enables the old directional swarm ability. the functionality was there this whole time and they just didn't let you use it for the entire game. there were so many awkward moments having to throw individual pikmin at individual building materials scattered around and frustrations trying to get the lock-on to focus on the correct target that could have been avoided this whole time if they had just let you swarm from the start. absolutely maddening!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anyway check out these cool dogs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

bossy lady posted:

"Lies of P(enis)"
And they run when the sun comes up
With their lies on the line

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Owl Inspector posted:

In pikmin 1 and 2, you can point the right stick somewhere to swarm your entire army of pikmin in that direction at once and they'll automatically attack/interact with anything they collide with. you can use it to swarm them into one big enemy or sweep over several small targets. Pikmin 3 and 4 deleted this functionality and replaced it with a button to make your army charge at a single target, which makes the "maul this one thing" case easier but the "sweep over many things" case much more awkward.

I just completed a sidequest in pikmin 4 that required completing basically the entire game, and the reward was an item that enables the old directional swarm ability. the functionality was there this whole time and they just didn't let you use it for the entire game. there were so many awkward moments having to throw individual pikmin at individual building materials scattered around and frustrations trying to get the lock-on to focus on the correct target that could have been avoided this whole time if they had just let you swarm from the start. absolutely maddening!

lmao that's hosed up

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Saints Row thing dragging it down - I now want a real version of that Petting Zoo boardgame, it looks like it owns, and it will never exist.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone else play FFXI on launch? You couldn't pick what sever you wanted to play on, what the gently caress! If you had a friend that got to something like level 15 and spent 3k gil, which was a non-trivial amount of grinding since FFXI was pretty hard and people were bad at MMOs back in the day, they could buy a code for I want to say three friends to start a character on their server. Otherwise I think you had to answer some sort of astrology questionnaire which influenced but didn't fully determine which sever you got. I guess the idea was to balance the player counts on each sever, but since of course people wanted to play with their friends in practice this led to people rerolling new characters on launch day for hours like a drat gacha game.

Did they ever get rid of this and let you pick your sever? I feel like they must have. No idea why this popped into my head since I haven't played that game in decades, but it sure was a thing dragging that game down.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They got rid of that within a few years.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Not just that but xi has also long gotten rid of needing other people to even play the game

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BioEnchanted posted:

Saints Row thing dragging it down - I now want a real version of that Petting Zoo boardgame, it looks like it owns, and it will never exist.

be the change you want to see in the world

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sally posted:

be the change you want to see in the world

I'm already loonie

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm trying out Cyberpunk now again with the new 2.0 patch and all that. Let's not get into how they've made stealth netrunning really obnoxious, it might be there's some solutions to that later in the game.
(Any directed hack fires up a generic 'tracing' by the entire enemy base, can't neutralize a netrunner or anything, it's just a 'oh you used a hack, they'll detect you in a bit.')

But I forgot how incredibly obnoxious it is that every screen and etc just constantly blares ads and advertisement jingles at all times, and in a lot of cases you can't even turn them off.
Bulletproof monitors just constantly looping everything. It's just so loving exhausting listening to constant moaning and gunshots and etc etc when sneaking around and doing stuff.
(Doesn't help that there's a tiny pool of ads that'll play hundreds of times each in a playthrough.)

Honestly it's weird how actively bad the sound design for the game is. I had to install a mod to silence the constant repeating sound in the menus because I was going batty.
Haven't found a mod to make the TVs in 2.0 less annoying yet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

SubNat posted:

I'm trying out Cyberpunk now again with the new 2.0 patch and all that. Let's not get into how they've made stealth netrunning really obnoxious, it might be there's some solutions to that later in the game.
(Any directed hack fires up a generic 'tracing' by the entire enemy base, can't neutralize a netrunner or anything, it's just a 'oh you used a hack, they'll detect you in a bit.')

Was literally just going to post this. I only picked up the game about 2 weeks ago, and was 90% through the story when 2.0 dropped. Because of the update all my skill points got refunded to be redistributed through the new system. OK, that's fine. But before the update I was a hacking god. I could kill just about anything with a single Shock attack, and if I was in stealth, only the person I targeted would be able to try and trace me. On the one hand, compared to 2.0 that tracing went really fast. OTOH, if the target died before the trace completed, the trace ended in a failure, and I could target someone else and still be in stealth. Now, the whole drat area is aware of me, unless I use one of the more or less pointless untraceable hacks.

I didn't really dive through the whole redesigned skill trees, so maybe there's something deeper in there where you can craft a version of a hack that is not traceable, but it uses way more RAM, and costs a lot of crafting materials. Or maybe there could be something like one of the cyberdeck implants where it can highlight what enemy is the netrunner and if you take them out they can't trace you.

Did it make the game way too easy? Maybe. But I put all this time and effort into becoming a literal cyber bully. How dare you take that way from me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The hud going wommm wommm womm really is the worst part of Cyberpunk, that sound gives me a headache. Game's fantastic in nearly all respects but the sound design and volume!

They should have taken a cue from Sleepy Dogs and prioritized situations where it'd be better to hear the man shouting about pork buns from a block away.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

We like the pain

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

The hud going wommm wommm womm really is the worst part of Cyberpunk, that sound gives me a headache. Game's fantastic in nearly all respects but the sound design and volume!

They should have taken a cue from Sleepy Dogs and prioritized situations where it'd be better to hear the man shouting about pork buns from a block away.

There's a trill in the menu screen of like three notes, just some background digital tech noise, but it stands out a lot and it sounds exactly like three notes from Ocarina of Time's gerudo valley music, bugs me whenever I hear it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Also forgot to add the sharp shrill chirp that comes out of the PS5 controller whenever you do almost anything in CP2077 is even more so now. Get a call on your phone? Chirp-Chirp! Text message? Chirp-Chirp! Get out of hacking a camera? Chirp-Chirp!. And there's no option to turn down the volume from the controller, it's either on or off.

Also, 2.00 seems to have broken the map and scanner interfaces just slightly. When on the map screen I have to hit O twice to exit back to the menu. When scanning I have to hit R1 twice to swap between target data and hacking info. The scan thing happens very rarely, but I'm in the map all the drat time. Annoying as hell.

Overall, I still really, really like the game. Setting is great, I really feel like I'm role playing a character, and there is a lot to just do. The missions are varied and the approaches really give a lot of freedom. It's a great game and I dig it. But there are a lot of little things keeping it from being everything it could be.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Picked up For the King with my friends and the game is really drat hard.

It’s a rougelike adventure game so your failure is to be expected, but the game gives you almost no breathing room. Like all other rogue likes the game gets harder as time goes on, but it will also introduce corruption that makes enemies harder/the map more difficult to navigate.

You need to be aggressively picking fights to continue gaining experience, but enemies hit so hard and you’re doing so much fighting it’s easy to hit a bad string of luck and have one of your characters take 80% of their hp before they even get a combat action. This means you have to waste another turn and some more money to heal.

There is an easier difficulty, but it’s insultingly easy compared to normal. We’re going from barely scrapping past the second dungeon to breezing to the final bosses lair.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Was literally just going to post this.
Did it make the game way too easy? Maybe. But I put all this time and effort into becoming a literal cyber bully. How dare you take that way from me.

Ah, turns out a (tier 3) hack called Sonic Shock or something similar lets you isolate people so that other hacks aren't traceable. Even if those hacks can spread.

So now I can isolate someone, slap contagion on them, and then down them... and an untraceable contagion will bounce around.
Finally, I can cyberbully in real life. It does solve my issue, it's just a tradeoff of needing to burn an additional hack to stealthily take them down, untraced.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That actually sounds somewhat fair!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

SubNat posted:

But I forgot how incredibly obnoxious it is that every screen and etc just constantly blares ads and advertisement jingles at all times, and in a lot of cases you can't even turn them off.
Bulletproof monitors just constantly looping everything. It's just so loving exhausting listening to constant moaning and gunshots and etc etc when sneaking around and doing stuff.
(Doesn't help that there's a tiny pool of ads that'll play hundreds of times each in a playthrough.)

Yeah, Cyberpunk's adverts are really obnoxious and badly-done in general. They don't fit the tone of the rest of the game at all.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Every second spent inside a temple in CrossCode is terrible. I enjoy the story of the game and the combat is decent, but god the puzzles just drag on forever and aren't very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

kazil posted:

Every second spent inside a temple in CrossCode is terrible. I enjoy the story of the game and the combat is decent, but god the puzzles just drag on forever and aren't very fun.

The puzzles are incredibly obnoxious. I think there are options that make the puzzles easier, namely increasing how much time you have before the parts reset, but even with those options cranked to max there were some puzzles where it felt like I was just barely getting them done.