Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

shout out to chang chens these things are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll stop using songbirds eventually but it is not this day

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Glimpse posted:

One exception I found is some of the missiles have an effective range of 2.5km, still not great for a vehicle mounted missile (man portable TOW missiles have a range of 3.75km). Of course, your FCS can’t lock at that distance so that’s purely for hangtime, but I don’t think they’ll ever get near that far in game before losing or hitting a target.

But yeah, these are games. Games need to be fun, realism be damned.

I think even CoD does this. A face full of bullets from an FNP90 and the other SMgs does no damage outside of melee range and you have to use an anti-material rifle to kill an opponent if they are further than across the street from you (and even though only if it's a headshot). The biggest non-battle royale maps are the size of a small city block. And a fair number of players bounce off BR modes because yeah, you do get killed by a single gray pixel a kilometer away.

I do like AC4A's explanation for the ARM's forts: it's actually easier to control a thousand minimum wage precarious employees than 1 highly paid, well armed independent mercenary.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 25, 2023

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Kinetic fire from range is also mitigated by the ricochet mechanic. From just really want you play this game close. I found being aggressive as hell and sticking to bosses like flies on poo poo works great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

smallmouth posted:

Kinetic fire from range is also mitigated by the ricochet mechanic. From just really want you play this game close. I found being aggressive as hell and sticking to bosses like flies on poo poo works great.

Most AC sized bosses really don't know what to do if you just kick or treadslap them in the face over and over. I'm not sure most of them can even do it back to you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

smallmouth posted:

Rushdown works, Core Theory is currently accurate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

On that note: any tricks for getting the most from chainsaw or slicer?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there any lore on Core Theory? I'm assuming it's something like "next gen armor has made all ranged weapons useless so thrusting a pile bunker through the cockpit is the basis of all combat"

I think you stated an elemental truth.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Stagger with other weapon slots, slice them a new rear end in a top hat with the slicer afterwards. Basho arms and Kikaku booster helps a lot. The tracking is weird when the opponent is staggered midair though so try and do it on the ground if you can.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Captain Foo posted:

Always charge the chainsaw, or at least start charging it when the opponent's stagger is nearly full. Release the second they're in ACS overload, preferably with you within close range. And use BASHO arms for a ton of melee damage.

You'll want to stay in close range, so keep yourself nimble. I used a shotgun in the right hand, and while it reloaded I switched to the needle pistol and emptied it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The biggest thing with the chainsaw is you don't want to use high recoil weapons like grenade launchers or the stun needle to push things into stager because it slows you down enough that your target is likely going to start moving again before you finish your extremely slow swing animation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thanks! Do you charge the slicer similarly?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've come to think of the chainsaw as the game's most bullshit weapon, not to be killed by, but to use. If your opponent gets stunned in the air, there's like a 2/3 chance your charged up chainsaw will totally miss, landing just above or below your opponent's hitbox, leaving you frozen in the air while they recover so they can attack however they like while your chainsaw is still vroom vrooming away at nothing.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Chainsaw has a 270% damage multiplier on staggered targets, and a single charged attack on a staggered target can do like 10k+ damage

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Captain Foo posted:

Thanks! Do you charge the slicer similarly?
The slicer does wayyy more damage with the uncharged two-tap combo. However the charged attack does allow you to deflect (some?) projectiles, so it has that going for it at least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Exodee posted:

The slicer does wayyy more damage with the uncharged two-tap combo. However the charged attack does allow you to deflect (some?) projectiles, so it has that going for it at least.

Three-tap. Check the weapon description.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

novaSphere posted:

Chainsaw has a 270% damage multiplier on staggered targets, and a single charged attack on a staggered target can do like 10k+ damage

Yeah but you can just use pilebunker for almost as much damage with way less jank.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think investigate grid 086 has 50% of the logs in the entire game

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Exodee posted:

:hai:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

GreatGreen posted:

I've come to think of the chainsaw as the game's most bullshit weapon, not to be killed by, but to use. If your opponent gets stunned in the air, there's like a 2/3 chance your charged up chainsaw will totally miss, landing just above or below your opponent's hitbox, leaving you frozen in the air while they recover so they can attack however they like while your chainsaw is still vroom vrooming away at nothing.

Used as a finisher, Chainsaw is functionally just Pile Bunker with worse tracking and significantly longer execute animation.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I made a backup of my original save and went through to NG+++ on a fresh save. I hope we get some more Armored Core relatively soon :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

I made a backup of my original save and went through to NG+++ on a fresh save. I hope we get some more Armored Core relatively soon :v:

I really hope FROM puts out DLC for this game, either more missions, or new parts, or even an old school style "new game built on the old assets" type deal like Project Phantamsa, et al. were. The game's sold enough by this point to more than justify it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Officially, no DLC plans.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Darth Walrus posted:

Three-tap. Check the weapon description.
I wasn't sure honestly, because I just spam tap it whenever an enemy is staggered :v:

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Officially, no DLC plans.

Sure, but with this response I expect them to work on a sequel relatively soon.

Hell, they're big enough to have one part of the studio putting out Armored Core and another doing Elden Ring DLC. I can dream.

Though I'm a huge From fan in general so I'll enjoy any game they spend their time on.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 25, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I found the pilebunker harder to land on some targets. It feels like it has a smaller boost, so I'd often wiff a shot half an inch away. But yes, the chainsaw has its own tracking issues.

I barely survived a pile bunker when the first part hit me, and the massive explosion took out my pulse shield. I'm sure it was very upsetting for the other pilot.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there any lore on Core Theory? I'm assuming it's something like "next gen armor has made all ranged weapons useless so thrusting a pile bunker through the cockpit is the basis of all combat"

It's different in every mainline game and AC6 doesn't even really get into it beyond "neural control so biped forms are easier" (ignore tanks)

In 4 at least it was because the ACs were just roving project pluto devices that traveled at Mach 9 so their physical form barely mattered and aesthetic took hold

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's different in every mainline game and AC6 doesn't even really get into it beyond "neural control so biped forms are easier" (ignore tanks)

In 4 at least it was because the ACs were just roving project pluto devices that traveled at Mach 9 so their physical form barely mattered and aesthetic took hold

White glint still being absolutely peak aesthetic

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

War Wizard posted:

I found the pilebunker harder to land on some targets. It feels like it has a smaller boost, so I'd often wiff a shot half an inch away. But yes, the chainsaw has its own tracking issues.

I barely survived a pile bunker when the first part hit me, and the massive explosion took out my pulse shield. I'm sure it was very upsetting for the other pilot.

PB charged attack barely propels you but it's got decent tracking, so try QBing into it to add momentum whenever you aren't already on top of the target.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Used as a finisher, Chainsaw is functionally just Pile Bunker with worse tracking and significantly longer execute animation.

Assuming you land both - Nah, enemy ACs still have a good shot at surviving the piledriver after the first stagger and getting an opportunity to heal. Chainsaw is practically a guaranteed kill right off the first stagger, it is insanely good at quick-killing enemy ACs. I ripped and tore King and Chartreuse in half well before Raven showed up and didn't even need to touch a repair kit.

Pile Bunker charged attack does track pretty well off of an Assault Boost, though. Trying to use it charged before Assault Boosting usually winds up whiffing for me, though - it didn't really seem to have much boost distance, although that could be a function of not having the best booster to use during my NG run.

Bunker is usually better for bosses, though. Chainsaw has a super rough time hitting bosses that have objects you can run into in front of their hurtboxes (e.g., Cleaner, Enforcer).

Anything that looks like an AC though, it's the king of making GBS threads damage mountain.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope FROM puts out DLC for this game, either more missions, or new parts, or even an old school style "new game built on the old assets" type deal like Project Phantamsa, et al. were. The game's sold enough by this point to more than justify it.

I really want an Another Age for this, the game just feels so good to play

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm imagining one of the keys to the Defend Xylem's Tower mission is long range fcs and whatnot. any other tips would be appreciated. first two runs made it seem annoying

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

i'm imagining one of the keys to the Defend Xylem's Tower mission is long range fcs and whatnot. any other tips would be appreciated. first two runs made it seem annoying

take the pulse barrier core expansion (the useless one that summons a stationary bubble around you); at ~1:45 left jump about 2 AC heights in the air right in front of the tower and use the barrier. the suicide drones will all fly into the bubble and explode harmlessly.

on my s-rank run i used two bad cooks for the trash and two of the basic shoulder missile pods for the snipers and helicopters

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Glimpse posted:

One exception I found is some of the missiles have an effective range of 2.5km, still not great for a vehicle mounted missile (man portable TOW missiles have a range of 3.75km). Of course, your FCS can’t lock at that distance so that’s purely for hangtime, but I don’t think they’ll ever get near that far in game before losing or hitting a target.

But yeah, these are games. Games need to be fun, realism be damned.

You can splash unmoving targets with the longer ones at least, can totally ignore going into the valley while still pasting the fuel tanks down there for rusty

Psycho Landlord posted:

ACs were just roving project pluto devices that traveled at Mach 9 so their physical form barely mattered and aesthetic took hold

What a goddamn pinpoint description

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

muike posted:

I've only ever done that mission with a lighter, fast AC and just hopping from group to group. I usually end up letting some of those nasty things past me but they were the only thing to ever reach the tower so it was still doing okay by the end.

On a different note, the RLF sure has some handy names:
Thumb Dolmayan
Index Dunham
Middle Flatwell
Ring Freddie
Little Ziyi

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The suicide drones alone aren't enough to break the shield so if you just boost back and forth for the rest you're fine. I thought they were scripted impacts tbh lol

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

muike posted:

The plasma cannons you can activate for support only have a couple of shots in them, so save them until just before the snipers start appearing - I think it's 3 minutes. They're pretty good at cleaning them up.

A plasma rifle of your own is pretty good for popping MTs and helicopters quickly at range. Just keep an eye on your radar at the bottom for red pips so you don't let anyone sneak past you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shyrka posted:

The plasma cannons you can activate for support only have a couple of shots in them, so save them until just before the snipers start appearing - I think it's 3 minutes. They're pretty good at cleaning them up.

A plasma rifle of your own is pretty good for popping MTs and helicopters quickly at range. Just keep an eye on your radar at the bottom for red pips so you don't let anyone sneak past you.

that actually ended up being the key plus going dual gatling/dual songbirds

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The normal laser rifle can one shot the sniper MTs when charged up. Otherwise, as a trash clear mission, fast energy weapons are king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Missiles or long range guns (laser plasma or kinetic) all work great. You can use the helper guns either for the snipers or the last wave so you can concentrate on the tetrapod in the middle. It's definitely possible to kill all the snipers without their help before they do enough damage to the shield that the suicide bots break it if you start in the middle of where they spawn and have good long range firepower. That's how I always did it...though I can see using the guns on the snipers and soloing the last waves directly in front of the tower might be easier.