Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I presume a lot of the reluctance to use Paxlovid is from fear of rebounds and generally confusing guidelines and advice, something illustrated nicely in this article:

Pingui posted:

I enjoyed this (very short) read, which is about the uncertainty and information concerning what to do when you get COVID (when you haven't been hanging out here for years):

Archived link: https://archive.li/bvbDS

... and on that note, I definitely have a rebound. D+0 I had little besides a sore throat, started pax in the evening after positive RATs, D+1 fever all day, D+2 fever broke and with it basically all symptoms besides general fatigue, D+5 finished pax in the morning and tested negative in the evening, kept testing negative on RATs consistently until D+8 when the sore throat came back with occasional cough and throat tightness (that I didn't even have before) and now I have a super faint line on a FlowFlex test. Of course I have no way of knowing what would have happened without Paxlovid but it would be a lot easier to decide if there were good advice on, for example, whether to try to get a second round or not. Or, you know, if they explained why the standard regimen is for 5 days when everything I know about antivirals/antibiotics is that you're supposed to take them long enough to eliminate the infection.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Walgreens: no vax
Rite Aid: has appointments on October 26 maybe
Safeway: October 1st

Tools.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eXXon posted:

Or, you know, if they explained why the standard regimen is for 5 days when everything I know about antivirals/antibiotics is that you're supposed to take them long enough to eliminate the infection.

they can't explain this because it was a desperation move and a lie to begin with so

sorry you're gettin the rebounds, I had the same, it just starts to feel interminable

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Maed posted:

she also mentioned that they aren't doing the whole cdc vaccine card stuff anymore so it'll just go to the normal vaccine database which should make booster banditing much easier, I plan on just getting whatever is newest every 4-5 months

Wouldn't that mean the opposite? I thought all of the major chains shared the same databases so you can't just simply get it at Walgreens then go to CVS a month later

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

How did you manage to get the shingles vaccines? They're still refusing to give that out until you're 50+ down here in Texas

I tried to get it after seeing my little brother get a nasty case of the shingles at the only young age of 32.

Just popped up when i was in the exit screen for applying for an appt at Riteaid here In NY. No idea why.

e: did your brother have chicken pox when he was younger?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

NeonPunk posted:

Wouldn't that mean the opposite? I thought all of the major chains shared the same databases so you can't just simply get it at Walgreens then go to CVS a month later

this might be highly regional / state-based, because nobody has EVER turned me down from banditing

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
My brain is porridge (without any help from covid!) and I have trouble keeping all the variant names in order - which one is the Pfizer/Moderna booster supposed to be targeting? I know it's said to perform adequately against the others but there's one specific variant it's supposed to be good against, right?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

never going to stop lolling that the variant naming system has forever ended

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Geight posted:

My brain is porridge (without any help from covid!) and I have trouble keeping all the variant names in order - which one is the Pfizer/Moderna booster supposed to be targeting? I know it's said to perform adequately against the others but there's one specific variant it's supposed to be good against, right?

the specific spike protein sequence it's built from is XBB.1.5

it was called "Kraken" back in February when it was current lmao

XBB lineages are recombinants of BJ.1 and BM.1.1.1 both of which some poor sap was coinfected with. Those lineages were derivations of the original BA.2 Omicron hahaha

HAHAHA :smithicide:

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Sep 25, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I got a flu vax at Safeway today and they offered me a Moderna they said arrived today. I didn't take it but if you need one they might have them.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Shageletic posted:

Just popped up when i was in the exit screen for applying for an appt at Riteaid here In NY. No idea why.

e: did your brother have chicken pox when he was younger?

Nice, lucky you

Yeah, we both caught it when we both were very young before the chickenpox vaccine rolled out. I might not necessarily need it, but it sure would be nice to have so I wouldn't have to worry about that in case I get got. My brother caught Covid twice (officially once in winter 2022 while denying the first one in late 2020)

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
earliest I could get an appointment from CVS is 2 weeks from now in a different state

luckily I happen to work right next to that random CVS so I guess I'll go in that day

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

Nice, lucky you

Yeah, we both caught it when we both were very young before the chickenpox vaccine rolled out. I might not necessarily need it, but it sure would be nice to have so I wouldn't have to worry about that in case I get got. My brother caught Covid twice (officially once in winter 2022 while denying the first one in late 2020)

yeah sorry about our stupid loving patchwork of state based conflicting health bullshit.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this might be highly regional / state-based, because nobody has EVER turned me down from banditing

Depends on where you live, PA has a Department of Health clearinghouse where all vaccinations go afaik.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Tulip posted:

I've helped 3 people get paxlovid and had...not sure how many others go "no thanks, don't need it" but definitely more than 3.

It's a fascinating little thing since the stereotype of Americans is that all they want for any medical problem is just a pill, with the joke being that lots of medical issues can't be dealt with with a straightforward medication regime, and this is probably the single best example I can think of where a very straightforward, easily acquired medication makes a huge difference in your life, and people are still going 'ehhhh no thanks I'll just suffer.'

My friend who got covid at the same time as I did refused to get pax and now she's slowly working through her sense of taste and smell coming back. Seems to have a positive attitude about it so that's good.

eXXon posted:

I presume a lot of the reluctance to use Paxlovid is from fear of rebounds and generally confusing guidelines and advice, something illustrated nicely in this article:

... and on that note, I definitely have a rebound. D+0 I had little besides a sore throat, started pax in the evening after positive RATs, D+1 fever all day, D+2 fever broke and with it basically all symptoms besides general fatigue, D+5 finished pax in the morning and tested negative in the evening, kept testing negative on RATs consistently until D+8 when the sore throat came back with occasional cough and throat tightness (that I didn't even have before) and now I have a super faint line on a FlowFlex test. Of course I have no way of knowing what would have happened without Paxlovid but it would be a lot easier to decide if there were good advice on, for example, whether to try to get a second round or not. Or, you know, if they explained why the standard regimen is for 5 days when everything I know about antivirals/antibiotics is that you're supposed to take them long enough to eliminate the infection.

I retested positive on my last day of my 10 day course of Paxlovid. Nothing is guaranteed with this virus or the tools.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

My friend who got covid at the same time as I did refused to get pax and now she's slowly working through her sense of taste and smell coming back. Seems to have a positive attitude about it so that's good.

Positivity is so important

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone know where I can get a shot for two kids, one 5, one under 5, in the Denver area? Willing to drive extra, if needed!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Maed posted:

got my joose at walgreens today in Brooklyn a

look, phenazepam is more fun than ivermectin, especially for people observing, but we should avoid hocking TCC snake oil in this thread

Baddog
May 12, 2001

eXXon posted:

... Or, you know, if they explained why the standard regimen is for 5 days when everything I know about antivirals/antibiotics is that you're supposed to take them long enough to eliminate the infection.

Sorry you're getting the rebound!

Yes, just bullshit that there just hasn't been anything close to an official explanation, and in that vacuum the public opinion has trended to "paxlovid causes rebounds".

I'm not an uneducated dumbass either, and yep, everything I know says that this really sounds like 5 days is often not enough to completely eliminate the infection, and if its not eliminated the infection exponential again defeats the immune system defense exponential. Would be great to have better data/guidance for how common that is, if its better to just do 10 days rather than risk it, if you should do another 5 days if you get a rebound, should it be 10 days if you have a stubborn case? etc etc.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Baddog posted:

Sorry you're getting the rebound!

Yes, just bullshit that there just hasn't been anything close to an official explanation, and in that vacuum the public opinion has trended to "paxlovid causes rebounds".

I'm not an uneducated dumbass either, and yep, everything I know says that this really sounds like 5 days is often not enough to completely eliminate the infection, and if its not eliminated the infection exponential again defeats the immune system defense exponential. Would be great to have better data/guidance for how common that is, if its better to just do 10 days rather than risk it, if you should do another 5 days if you get a rebound, should it be 10 days if you have a stubborn case? etc etc.

the initial dose was 10 days. the administration cut it in half when they realized that they had in no way purchased an adequate amount of the drugs to supply that many doses to Americans.

... I cannot find any documentation to this effect but it is seared in my brain as one of the Delta CEO Phone Call level what the gently caress moments of the last 3 years

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
My wife called CVS, scheduled an appointment for her flu and covid shots and got both of them that day. The same CVS turned me down and walgreens said I'd have to pay $155 because of my insurance. My work is doing a vaccine clinic this week so I'll get it through them. I'm fortunate there.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

redreader posted:

Anyone know where I can get a shot for two kids, one 5, one under 5, in the Denver area? Willing to drive extra, if needed!

I've heard Children’s Medical Center has it, as well as safeways in the area (specifically the safeway on Hampden).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Classy!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Funny thing is when my brother went to a clinic to get his shingles treated, they gave him a 14 day course of Valyrex (sp?) And just told him that if he needed, he could just come by and get another 14 day course no question asked if he still had a tiny bit of pain where the rash was before lol

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 18:39 on Sep 25, 2023

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

As a chronically ill person constantly dealing with plenty of pharmacies and different doctors I've seen no robust shared database. You can try to opt in to sharing medical history, but even if you do that it rarely works/updates.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1706361715892556003

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Q: What to do if [BLANK]?

A: Get hosed.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
CVS MinuteClinic trip report in Chicago: They had more appointments than vaccines, wouldn't take walk-ins. No idea if they'll get anything for kids under 12, but they currently don't expect anything. Our pediatrician also doesn't expect any vaccines this month.

I have appointments made, but I expect them to be cancelled as others were.

Fansy has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Sep 25, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

might as well chart my case as well:

Day 0 - sore throat, thought it was voice strain from teaching

Day 1 - sore throat continues, in the evening I connect the dots and do telehealth for Paxlovid, a bit of congestion tries to start in ears and upper throat

Day 2 - overnight was the symptom peak with runny nose and post-nasal drip, first dose of Paxlovid at 10am, all symptoms gone by 3pm. slept all day and through the night.

Day 3 - all symptoms still gone. only coughing about once an hour, just to clear the occasional smallest bit of mucus.

Day 4 - all symptoms still gone. cough getting even less frequent.

brings us up to date. I feel very slightly doofy, is that the Paxlovid or the Covid? also I'm on Effexor so maybe the extended action of that drug in my bloodstream is causing that.

mdemone has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Sep 25, 2023

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Again this year boosters seem to be restricted for 65+ year olds in Finland. So even money can’t buy you vaccines here, although we live in a capitalist system. Very annoying.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Again this year boosters seem to be restricted for 65+ year olds. So even money can’t buy you vaccines here, although we live in a capitalist system. Very annoying.

trust the science

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

here's another question nobody will know the answer to:

is there any guidance on how long to wait after an active Covid/Paxlovid to get the updated boosters? a month? six weeks?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

mdemone posted:

here's another question nobody will know the answer to:

is there any guidance on how long to wait after an active Covid/Paxlovid to get the updated boosters? a month? six weeks?

The standard last year was 2 months from most recent infection, which is based on antibody concentrations and probably a pretty good standard. I think they dropped that this year, though, presumably because convincing people to get boosted but also wait two months since your last infection depressed some of the uptake last year, so the standard this year is like, "You might want to wait but you don't have to."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

bobtheconqueror posted:

The standard last year was 2 months from most recent infection, which is based on antibody concentrations and probably a pretty good standard. I think they dropped that this year, though, presumably because convincing people to get boosted but also wait two months since your last infection depressed some of the uptake last year, so the standard this year is like, "You might want to wait but you don't have to."

yeah

if you have cleared an infection you have (relatively) raging torrents of circulating antibodies that wane along a similar curve to those elicited by the vaccine itself, so I'd wait a couple months and then go get boosted

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah

if you have cleared an infection you have (relatively) raging torrents of circulating antibodies that wane along a similar curve to those elicited by the vaccine itself, so I'd wait a couple months and then go get boosted

okey dokey. now I just gotta clear this fucker. still half my Pax doses to go and it's looking good, fingers crossed

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I may be wrong but could've sworn COVID caused long COVID but I'm willing to be swayed

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I may be wrong but could've sworn COVID caused long COVID but I'm willing to be swayed

it does just not all the time and they want to figure out what combination of severity, comorbidities, vaccination status, genetics, where infection set up shop, chronic infection vs post-infection damage etc.

chances are it’s multiple choice and much like cancer there is not going to be one ‘ah hah!’ moment that cracks the case.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Oracle posted:

they want to figure out what combination of severity, comorbidities, vaccination status, genetics, where infection set up shop, chronic infection vs post-infection damage etc.

My kid got strep frequently pre-pandemic - like, twice a year at least. I've been gently freaking out about PANDAS and CFS for the last decade. I bring this up because post-strep persistent conditions are similar to long COVID in that they are caused by a known virus, but we're not sure what it is about that virus, which makes it hard to protect against. There are also long term outlooks that are in some ways similar to long COVID. The general concept of post-viral, long term systemic damage isn't new.

It also means that I'm maybe a little more zen about long COVID than I should be. No, I don't want to get it, and I don't want my kid to get it; yes, we wear N95 masks any time we leave the house, even outdoors; we're not licking doorknobs over here. I don't mean to imply that I'm blowing it off. But, I spent a decade where, every six months, I had severe anxiety about my kid getting long term disabling conditions due to illnesses that could be prevented if people just kept their kids home when sick. I'm kind of used to this particular brand of fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Was able to get a late day CVS appointment for Pfizer. I’ll take it. I think by happenstance I’m full Pfizer anyways.

Is there a waiting period between vaccine and Paxlovid if I do get COVID? I’m not under the illusion the juice will get me sterilizing immunity from household transmission, just increase my odds…