Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The most complex stuff I've done with the code chips was make my hardsuit automatically turn off life support and open the visor when inside a warm, pressurized area to save on battery and tank air, mostly by cribbing off a workshop script.

Usually I do everything with the breadboard components since that gels better with how my brain works and I can logic stuff out; I tend to flounder with code.

Most complex thing I've made was an auto-furnace on vulcan that purely used the midday atmosphere temp to smelt basic ores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I looked up a solar tracking setup when I started playing Stationeers, and it helped me kinda grok how the chips worked. When I finally get around to playing it again, I'll probably look up the same solar tracking setup, because I've forgotten almost everything about the game (and it's had a few major updates in the last couple of years). Pretty much everything else was done by trial-and-error-and-error-and-error. I felt like a genius when I got my lights to turn on automatically when it got dark.

I have a few Stationeers posts in this thread, but the summary is: this a game for people who like building HVAC systems and power grids, with some survival elements, in hostile-to-humans atmospheres (none, Mars, Vulcan, others).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In other news, highly anticipated (well by me at least) LoTR dwarf survival crafter game Return to Moria moves on from vaporware status and gets a release date. 24.10. 2023.

There are trailers but I haven't seen any on actual gameplay or screenshots from the actual game, and that leaves me kinda wary. Furthermore, it'll be an Epic exclusive, so will the game be buried deep under Khazad-Dum and must not be recovered?? I guess we'll see.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

In other news, highly anticipated (well by me at least) LoTR dwarf survival crafter game Return to Moria moves on from vaporware status and gets a release date. 24.10. 2023.

There are trailers but I haven't seen any on actual gameplay or screenshots from the actual game, and that leaves me kinda wary. Furthermore, it'll be an Epic exclusive, so will the game be buried deep under Khazad-Dum and must not be recovered?? I guess we'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=270uflOMbMk
There's definitely gameplay out there.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cool, thanks, have to check that out.

e: Digging the dwarves singing while they mine already

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 29, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why am I getting a 'lego' feeling from that game?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Lone Badger posted:

Why am I getting a 'lego' feeling from that game?

the dwarf has the same dimensions like the Lego man and the rudimentary alpha skeleton means the animations look like a figurine moving around

the best example is the torch holding stiff up

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Not super sold on 95% of the gameplay shown being slowly descending a hole in exactly the same way for 10 minutes and occasionally chucking a torch while nothing happens

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The new Icarus expansion is actually, dare I say it, good?....

Not having to leave planet every mission and keeping my gear/base is very nice

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

The new Icarus expansion is actually, dare I say it, good?....

Not having to leave planet every mission and keeping my gear/base is very nice

I always thought there was a great structure for a survival game there, they just started with the asinine decisions of making your base temporary on missions, and having them tick down during realtime, both of which seem to be solved by now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I bought Card Survival on PC because hey I've put like 200 hrs into the mobile version so why not throw some more money at the devs, but also because the PC version has the ability to show you exact numbers with mods. I'm surprised at a lot of things that I've learned off of that.

- Not a mod specific thing but tbh safety mode rocks. It isn't as "hardcore" but I've gotten a lot better at the game because I've allowed myself to reset a day if I get my arm broken on random chance, which is typically a game ender. Being able to chase the tech tree is critical to planning a game out.

- The reason why you constantly seem to be losing weight is because doing anything that affects your stamina has an impact on your weight. If you diligently rest up every time it says you are getting a little tired then you will hold it steady, but anything below that and you start losing weight.

- A common tip is that you can get wood by using an axe on a jungle tile but also small trees and small palms will always come back when you search so long as you don't currently have them, so getting long sticks and palm fronds is super easy. In grasslands this only works for small trees.

- Large water containers evaporate at 4x the rate of smaller ones.

- The cards that drop are on a fixed percentage for most of them, except for animals and plants. The rate that the latter appear depend on skill level too.

- Clothes like shoes are a negative drain on damage rather than preventing it from happening, as in it gives a -1 to damage stat to counteract the +1 from an activity. But this also means that if you put shoes on before going to bed then your feet heal twice as fast.

There's a lot of behind the scene stuff that makes the game so much easier if you understand a little bit of it

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 4, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Wait, shoes lower the damage you output during fights?

Or did I read that incorrectly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trivia posted:

Wait, shoes lower the damage you output during fights?

Or did I read that incorrectly.

Nah, it's damage from things like walking all over the place, it probably works for hands too. It's mostly an issue for people with low foot callouses but the way it is calculated. So (not real values)

Movement from place to place: +2
Base healing per tick: -1
Shoes: -1

With a positive value being higher accumulated damage on the "foot damage" stat. In this example if you are walking while wearing shoes then it negates everything out to zero. But the way it is calculated means that if you aren't doing something that would cause damage then it's all negative with no positive, which makes damage "heal" faster.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
I've been playing Card Survival off and on because of this thread's recommendation. I love it, but haven't yet beaten it. I think the longest I did was about 90-something days.

The tech tree UI needs a revamp of some kind I think. Too much clicking.

It'd also be nice if I knew a little bit more about what items do, or how certain mechanics worked. For example, I never made rock fall traps because I know IRL they suck and you just get mice, so why bother. But, now knowing they level up your trapping every time they're triggered, I make them en masse.

Completely aside, but I'm annoyed you can catch parrotfish at night. You shouldn't be able to (they hide under / in rocks and go to sleep; they're inactive).

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I love the mechanics and everything in Card Survival but the interface is a mess and while there are mods to let you see more cards at once etc I haven't been able to find any that lets you see all your relevant stats easily without scrolling or clicking around.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

They've been working on the tech tree but some mods I've found have been helpful, like the one that tags a category with stuff that is researchable. I would like some kind of additional warning if you aren't researching anything though, since there is no benefit whatsoever to having no research going on.

Imo the biggest thing you get from playing long games is knowing where the material needs for midrange stuff is, and where to find things like copper. A cistern is a huge leap forward in survivability but if you don't know that you need mortar to fill it then you're scrambling, and if you didn't start on a beach then it's a big problem to get sand. My last Hunter run ended up at 80 days which wasn't bad, and then I experimentally moved to the Farmer who starts at a higher tech tier in terms of a lot of things to go through how to engage with the advanced systems.

I really do think that Hunter is a lot harder to get through a longer run than Farmer because he starts off with poor woodworking abilities. Not being able to build a shovel for a very long time cuts back on your long term sustainability, and while the Farmer has a rough start with pain management due to having to rush a cistern once you have it up its a license to print food and build high tier tech without worrying about loneliness or fishing. I never knew before then that when you plant chilis, which are key to a lot of cooking, you get a massive nine plant payoff when it grows to fruition.

Leveling up skills is a PITA but like you said you can kind of do make-work like setting a lot of useless traps to farm XP. Same reason why I always had a ton of spare wood on Hunter, just cutting it to cut for xp

GenericOverusedName posted:

I love the mechanics and everything in Card Survival but the interface is a mess and while there are mods to let you see more cards at once etc I haven't been able to find any that lets you see all your relevant stats easily without scrolling or clicking around.

You can pin stats so they never disappear from your side bar but the priority is still determined by the system so a lot of your pins get pushed down by the game letting you know that the sun is hot.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 5, 2023

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah my first run with Hunter ended when the drought hit, I just wasn't ready and didn't know about making clay from mud.

My second longer run stopped when I acted stupidly and died from overheating. Don't run around in leather poo poo unless you're specifically hunting, I guess.

Finding a good location for a base is pretty key. Originally I went with the bay but the storms were p bad. Tried again in grasslands but lizards run into sheds and their bites are a massive water tax (to avoid infection).

Great game but I'd like to know the numbers behind the scenes a bit more. Or, at least give me an idea of what things do or lead to tech-wise. I look at an item and won't make it if it doesn't look useful.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Hunter has fairly easy access to a shovel, their high starting swimming skill means they have a decent chance of making it to Bird Rock once it's discovered, where they can loot the shipwreck for its goodies, including up to five pieces of scrap metal. Two scrap and some other stuff makes one scrap shovel, which has enough durability to complete the digging portions of a cistern + well + some other tasks.

But yeah, that's another point in a whole lot of the difficulty of this game simply being dependent on knowing where to find materials, and what to aim for with regards to long-term survivability. And yes the interface and card management is horrendous, I won't deny, it's a testament to how strong the underlying game is that I still pick up the game from time to time despite all that.

Trivia posted:

Yeah my first run with Hunter ended when the drought hit, I just wasn't ready and didn't know about making clay from mud.

My second longer run stopped when I acted stupidly and died from overheating. Don't run around in leather poo poo unless you're specifically hunting, I guess.

Finding a good location for a base is pretty key. Originally I went with the bay but the storms were p bad. Tried again in grasslands but lizards run into sheds and their bites are a massive water tax (to avoid infection).

Great game but I'd like to know the numbers behind the scenes a bit more. Or, at least give me an idea of what things do or lead to tech-wise. I look at an item and won't make it if it doesn't look useful.

The Drought is probably the run-ender for most new players, it's utterly miserable even when you're very prepared for it. In my last run, I spent almost the entirety of the first temperate + dry season rushing out two cisterns and a well just so I wouldn't have to worry about water throughout the entirety of dry season, and even then I was starting to run low by the end of it (though external sources would have settled that without too much issue).

For the Hunter, I like going with the Jungle as a base. You're right next to the Beach for fishing and sand, next to the Wetlands for easy access to mud, and the Jungle itself gives you easy access to wood and helpful plants. There's a few bugs but it's not as overwhelming as the Wetlands, and you're slightly resistant to them as the Hunter.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 5, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The jungle is a pretty good base location since it's only major downside is that there's a lot of bugs, but the hunter is largely immune to those when wearing clothes. It also allows you an easy move to the grassland and the Wetlands for clay.

If for some reason you need clay but don't have mud you can also grind dirt down to fine dirt and then use salt water to turn it into clay. For overheating regularly washing yourself with salt water is a huge help as well, staying wet takes your heat levels (and therefore dehydration) down a lot.

Honestly you can get pretty far with reading the in-game help hints menu, clicking on the help for every item and also waving it around in your menu to see what other objects it can interact with helps with fleshing out your options. There's a lot of substitutions for materials you can do a lot of times.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Some generally useful tech tree stuff off the top of my head (you may already know some of this, but can't hurt):

- Having a Shovel of any kind unlocks the Cistern, Well and Cellar. The cellar is optional, but the Cistern and Well are very useful to have for dry season, though it'll need a lot more work than just the shovel.

- Digging up mud from the wetland puddles or mangrove and forming it into a Mud Brick by mixing it with temper (easiest source of this is usually sand) unlocks the Kiln, which in turn unlocks a whole lot of Clay recipes (which you also get by processing mud).

- In particular, the Cooking Pot is required for (and unlocks) a whole lot of advanced cooking recipes, and the Clay Vase unlocks more advanced clay recipes, but also the Water Reservoir, which in turn unlocks Salt Beds once built. Having a couple of those makes it easier to obtain Salt in high quantities, allowing for easy meat preservation and a couple of more advanced clay recipes.

- Cutting down a tree and/or processing a fallen tree to turn it into a log unlocks the Mud Hut, which I usually beeline for right away without bothering with the Shed. It's not that much more tedious to build, and allows for more improvements.

- Weaving two palm leaves together forms a Palm Weave, which unlocks the Woven Basket. Successfully completing one unlocks the Woven Hat, which helps protect you from the sun during Dry Season. You can also turn it into a woven backpack by just adding a rope to it, instead of researching the actual recipe.

- Heating up stones/large stones in the kiln turns them into Burnt Stones which can be broken up into piles of Quicklime, which is used for glue and mortar, the latter of which is important for some advanced construction recipes.

- Getting Copper Ore from scavenging/digging out the caves/breaking a geode unlocks the Forge, and melting the copper ore with it into copper unlocks the recipes for copper tools. Those are a massive time-saver because when they run out of durability, you can just sharpen the copper part with a stone and reassemble them.

- Crafting a hook with bird bones unlocks the recipe for the Fishing Line, though if you're a Hunter it's probably not particularly worth grinding your Fishing skill up when you can just spearfish instead.

- Grinding your cooking skill up lets you make Coconut Milk, which can be boiled to make Oil, which is a useful component in a lot of other cooking recipes and also lets you make torches.

- Finding the Secret Valley and getting Rice there lets you grow Rice Paddies, which are tremendously efficient and require almost no maintenance, though it's best to set them up during Wet Season to keep them watered.

- Finding the Beehive card in the deep jungle lets you build your own, and successfully doing so lets you build more bee-related tools to safely handle them. It's best if you've grown a few flower fields for maximum honey production beforehand, though.

- Getting the Plastic Sheet from the shipwreck unlocks two very useful recipes: the Raincoat, which protects you from the rain and sun, and the Solar Still, which slowly gathers water from palm fronds. Anything that uses the Plastic Sheet can be disassembled at any time to retrieve it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

At this point it is probably time for it so I made a Card Survival thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041213

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
E. Moving to CS thread

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 5, 2023

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Has anyone checked in on Green Hell recently? I didn't realize that content is actively being developed for the base game post-DLC. It's a little surprising to me that they're focusing on base-building, which is kind of at odds with the general vibe of "do your best to survive long enough to get rescued" of the campaign. Has the additional base-building content added enough to warrant another playthrough, or does it feel tacked on or pointless like in The Forest? If memory serves, the game actively punishes you with escalating enemy attacks if you stay in one place for too long, so I'm curious how they've balanced that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BrianRx posted:

Has anyone checked in on Green Hell recently? I didn't realize that content is actively being developed for the base game post-DLC. It's a little surprising to me that they're focusing on base-building, which is kind of at odds with the general vibe of "do your best to survive long enough to get rescued" of the campaign. Has the additional base-building content added enough to warrant another playthrough, or does it feel tacked on or pointless like in The Forest? If memory serves, the game actively punishes you with escalating enemy attacks if you stay in one place for too long, so I'm curious how they've balanced that.
The Forest has escalating enemy attacks, Green Hell doesn't. You can definitely build up a comfy little base with all the amenities you want. Also the focus of the main story isn't really "survive until rescued" at all, you're trying to go deeper into the jungle and find your missing wife.

Personally I quite enjoy the base building, it may be one of my favorite aspects, but it's not really important to completing the story. In a sandbox game it's much more important because you're not just trekking through the jungle towards a goal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I gave the Green Hell DLC a decent shot a couple months back but the game didn’t give me nearly enough to do after 10 or 15 hours to keep my interest up. Once you get through the short tech tree you’re mainly doing a bunch of grindy quests with a lot of walking. Props to the devs, though, the DLC is truly gigantic compared to the main game.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

The Forest has escalating enemy attacks, Green Hell doesn't. You can definitely build up a comfy little base with all the amenities you want. Also the focus of the main story isn't really "survive until rescued" at all, you're trying to go deeper into the jungle and find your missing wife.

Fair, it's been a while since I last played it. I'd still say that generally you are still kept moving enough that there really isn't any point to getting comfortable somewhere. The prefab locations, like the drug processing facility, are usually sufficient to use as bases for the time that you're near them. That said, the primary map in the main story is pretty small once you've explored it so I guess something in the middle might be workable if you're willing to budget time and energy each day to trekking back in the evenings. It's probably better than my strategy of frantically trying to build a bed before I pass out from exhaustion every night.

Regarding enemy attacks, I do recall some escalation while playing in sandbox mode, though it comes in the form of one or two extra enemies joining a raid. That may be due to killing enemies, though, and not your location other than they know where to find you. Again, it's been a bit since I played so that may be incorrect.

Now I'm interested enough to install it again so all the answers I seek will be revealed to me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Dunno if anyone watched the 7 days to die guy on YouTube, he's called guns nerds and steel or something like that, anyway, he's started an Icarus let's play and it's looking pretty drat good.

I've had a little dabble with the new map etc myself but not played it in depth yet as I've been too busy with real life, BG3, Starfield and cyberpunk but it's certainly something I'm going to go back to.

I may even start a new character, I'm kind of inspired by that new let's play series.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Dunno if anyone watched the 7 days to die guy on YouTube, he's called guns nerds and steel or something like that, anyway, he's started an Icarus let's play and it's looking pretty drat good.

I've had a little dabble with the new map etc myself but not played it in depth yet as I've been too busy with real life, BG3, Starfield and cyberpunk but it's certainly something I'm going to go back to.

I may even start a new character, I'm kind of inspired by that new let's play series.
Yeah I picked it up based on his playthrough. I'd heard it was poo poo originally but they've patched it to hell and back and made it playable. Only a few days in but enjoying it so far. GNS does a fair variety of stuff (in the survival genre, anyway) and he's generally competent so he's a good one to watch if you want to see something new.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Current Icarus is very good. I got the expansion and played it for about two hours and stopped because I was not in the mood for it, having dumped 80-odd hours a few months prior.

They basically did a complete 180 on their mission system and filled in a boatload of content. The new expansion even adds things that aren't wolves and bears.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah I picked it up based on his playthrough. I'd heard it was poo poo originally but they've patched it to hell and back and made it playable. Only a few days in but enjoying it so far. GNS does a fair variety of stuff (in the survival genre, anyway) and he's generally competent so he's a good one to watch if you want to see something new.

I've played it since launch, I've always enjoyed it, but it's substantially different now to how it was. They envisioned it as some kind of silly roguelike survival game and it just didn't work

Edit: that's unfair, it did work. It was just loving annoying to have to keep teaching up and building a base each mission.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Been watching that playthrough myself. Just redownloaded Icarus again today and got the DLC because of him.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I bought Survival: Fountain of Youth a while back after trying out the demo last year, and finally got around to trying it now that they've added all kinds of stuff in it. The optimization is still poor, but it's pretty fun, if a somewhat standard entry in the genre that has a lot of competition (and for some reason, a lot of competitors which use the exact same formula of "guy gets stranded on tropical island"). I'm past the point I stopped playing in the demo, and now have access to clay pots and obsidian tools.

The beginning is pretty slow, since you can't carry a lot and you spend a lot of time running between your storage and the resources hauling stuff, but once you craft a leather bag and a cart to haul your stuff in, things get easier in that regard. Enemies are pretty fierce and I have a lot of respect for the jackal now.

Things I wish the game had: movable workbenches and containers. I really don't feel like building another base when I inevitably have to travel to another island for the story. My grotto cave is nice and cosy. People have been requesting this, so I hope it will be added, or at least give the resources back from the crafted items if you dismantle them.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Yeah I played it too when it first released. As soon as I made it off the island and visited neighboring ones, I found I needed to make a new base. At that point I pretty much checked out.

They also made ocean travel muuuuch less interesting. It's just a cut to new zone + time spent. At least in the demo there was an overhead map showing travel. Not sure why they went the route they did. I was hoping they'd come up with something a bit more innovative or interesting.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah honestly at this point I've been having fun, but I have a feeling of dread of having to do all those workbenches and amenities again + build a hut on some another island. It's likely I will also stop playing after I finish the first island as well.

There is a dock fast travel option, which I guess is a somekind of a incentive to having multiple small camps.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Don't even bother making buildings. Just find a place to make a regular cheap shelter, then benches everywhere.

It's the same problem a lot of survival games have: they don't have any incentive to actually build. Also building is tedious.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

For anyone playing Voidtrain, is a common issue to have guns just not fire when you tell them to, requiring several clicks to get them in gear? It's *really* annoying.

Also the gun building interface in this game is poo poo. Why doesn't this frame work with this gun? God only knows.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 4, 2023

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tips for playing Voidtrain:

1) Don’t

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Tips for playing Voidtrain:

1) Don’t

I mean it's just a more structured version of Raft with a sci-fi kick, it's fine other than some weird bugs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Raft is such a weird goddamn game to me. I love the early game where you're trying to survive, and getting things like water purification, fishing up food, etc. But then after several hours of sort of sandboxy survival it takes a hard turn and decides to be an extremely drawn out story-driven experience where you just wander around enormous islands, away from your raft, reading notes and audiologs of characters I don't care about. It's kind of amazing how long it takes to get through all that.
At some point into story progression I hit a point where I just don't care about anything but beelining the rest of the story content because that's what everything focuses on and I've already long-since become self-sufficient, but it turns out that point is like, 25% of the way into the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I feel like that was kind of a symptom of it being in Early Access for so long before the story even got added. I need to actually make it past bear island myself at some point, see the endgane.