Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

People get bizarrely defensive about their cars if you so much as touch them. I've had people get out of their cars and threaten me over as much as slapping their mirror back (when they almost ran me over making a right turn at a crosswalk) or as little as a gentle tap on their quarter panel for not paying attention. I get being defensive over something you value (I was pretty protective of my bike because the last one got stolen) but it's hilariously pathetic to have some fat gently caress leap out of his car and threaten to beat me up ("I promise you there's no way that ends the way you think it does" is my canned response) over so much as tapping on the hood.

I'll fold in the mirrors, drum on the hood, etc. of drivers behaving badly and it's 100% going to get me killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Mauser posted:

A lot of people doing math in the replies imagining a 30 mile stretch of town road without stops, lights, circles, other cars, or running out of town.

if you actually get nerdy and think about it, the ideal possible amount of time saved by increasing the maximum speed of a typical non-highway car journey is almost always going to be something like 10% at most. it isn’t even about saving time. it’s about maintaining a constant level of stressful, violent urgency

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bushiz posted:

I'll fold in the mirrors, drum on the hood, etc. of drivers behaving badly and it's 100% going to get me killed.

How have you not gotten shot?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've had a gun waved at me for honking when someone tried to change lanes into me.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

They can't see me over their hood.

I've only smacked a couple hoods when cars are creeping up on me in the crosswalk so far. If I can touch your car, you're too close.

One thing I've been doing lately is crossing the street without making eye contact and just watching if they stop in my peripheral vision. Drivers seem to stop for me more when they think I'm not paying attention.

CopperHound has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Sep 25, 2023

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Drivers: Stop trying to wave me through stop signs when all your windows are rolled up. You're not a human when you are sealed inside. I am watching the metallic monster, instead of the little bit of meat hiding behind the glare of the glass.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Drivers: Stop trying to wave me through stop signs when all your windows are rolled up. You're not a human when you are sealed inside. I am watching the metallic monster, instead of the little bit of meat hiding behind the glare of the glass.

This is a common dilemma for me, except it's my otherwise nice (also one shithead) neighbours trying to wave, but I am not looking at the driver but the car.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
im thinking of kafka as a car instead of a cockroach now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really can't even see inside cars anymore. All the windows are tinted so darkly.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

CopperHound posted:

One thing I've been doing lately is crossing the street without making eye contact and just watching if they stop in my peripheral vision. Drivers seem to stop for me more when they think I'm not paying attention.

I've had the exact opposite experience in Seattle. if you stare at their car (or even the driver themself if you can manage it) they slow way down.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've had the exact opposite experience in Seattle. if you stare at their car (or even the driver themself if you can manage it) they slow way down.

depends if they see you. In my area, you are lucky if they look up from their phone for long enough to realize anyone is there.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

"gently caress cars"

Cspam: Yeah! and gently caress all motor vehicles

"ARRRGH. Motorcycles are good people!"

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

These forums are a treasure. I love my semi-weekly updates I get over in LAN about how terrible speed limits are in Eugene

quote:

I'm okay with speed bumps, in theory. In practice they end up being punitive and obnoxious, at least here in Eugene. When they first started doing them years ago they were well thought-out, and if you were doing the posted speed then they were gentle whoop-de-doos. Now they are proliferating, choking off main arteries, and are often so severe that if you hit one doing the posted speed the front of your car could fall off. A lot of them around here are being put in for NIMBY/HOA reasons, and they hosed up one street so badly they had to adjust the urban growth boundary because it effectively choked off an entire area.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

the sweetest of tears, right there

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sounds like the speed bumps are working as intended

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can't even do the speed limit over speed bumps anymore!

mystes
May 31, 2006

You can go through stop signs without stopping as long as you stick to the speed limit, right?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

skill issue

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mystes posted:

You can go through stop signs without stopping as long as you stick to the speed limit, right?

This seems to be exactly what the people in my neighborhood believe. I only see about 1/4 people stop at the stop sign in front of the elementary school thats a block from me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

if you actually get nerdy and think about it, the ideal possible amount of time saved by increasing the maximum speed of a typical non-highway car journey is almost always going to be something like 10% at most. it isn’t even about saving time. it’s about maintaining a constant level of stressful, violent urgency
For a while I had a de-restricted e-bike that could do 45kph easy peasy and legit felt like I spent my time accelerating too much and grabbing handfuls of brake. And the speed differential was way too much. I just went back to a normal ~30kph system and it's way better.

silicone thrills posted:

This seems to be exactly what the people in my neighborhood believe. I only see about 1/4 people stop at the stop sign in front of the elementary school thats a block from me.
I really wish we had a system like the UK where you can just send in video evidence to the pigs and watch people's licenses get obliterated. fail to stop? 3 points off. On the phone? 6 points out the window.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Sep 25, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I honestly think that 20mph is probably a good limit for ebikes unless people are prepared to treat them like motorcycles and wear motorcycle gear

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

mystes posted:

I honestly think that 20mph is probably a good limit for cars unless people are prepared to treat them like motorcycles and wear motorcycle gear

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

mystes posted:

I honestly think that 20mph is probably a good limit for ebikes unless people are prepared to treat them like motorcycles and wear motorcycle gear

Good for anything with a motor tbh, you'll get there eventually don't worry too much about it buddy

E: trains excepted ofc. Planes tbd

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mystes posted:

That's literal carbrained thinking

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

for sure.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

The intersection right in front of my house is two one-way streets, one side stops and the cross street does not. I have been nearly hit twice there because of people who go through the stop sign while I'm coming down the cross street in my car.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

evil_bunnY posted:

I really wish we had a system like the UK where you can just send in video evidence to the pigs and watch people's licenses get obliterated. fail to stop? 3 points off. On the phone? 6 points out the window.

If you try to play vigilante you might get shot, but if you call the cops so you don't get shot, the other person might get shot. This is what I like to call a "win-win" scenario

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

apatite posted:

If you try to play vigilante you might get shot, but if you call the cops so you don't get shot, the other person might get shot. This is what I like to call a "win-win" scenario

lol what, the police shoot the person who call them all the time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

evil_bunnY posted:

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

apatite posted:

lol

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol what, the police shoot the person who call them all the time

win-win-win, you say?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

I live in new york and am 6'6" with a manual labor job. Prior to living in New York I was generally more armed than them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

you can, just not in a car :v:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
im going to call the police

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
id kill anyone driving a car

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
calling the police and shooting them if they show up in a car

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
id kill the driver and the police officer with my bicycle

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Groda posted:

when you have carbrain you assume you are invincible. on bike you are very vincible

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Groda posted:

its not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo