Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

randomidiot posted:

I hate to pull the BACK IN MY DAY :corsair: poo poo, but back in my day, once you were roughly out of toddler sizes of clothing, you were also out of car seats. I didn't even do the seat belt bit in the back seats until I was riding with a friend when I was 15 or so and we got in a wreck

Yeah, we used to ride in the trunk of our station wagon. The wagon my dad got rear ended in and everything from the rear bumped to the rear seats got smashed...

On a family trip of like 500 miles, my cousin removed the middle bench of her minivan and four of us just camped on the floor during the eight hour drive.

I really don't know if that was worse than when we stuck four people in the back seat of a Polski Fiat (plus our luggage) to get driven from my mom's family to my dad's. I've driven past the aftermath of a fatal car crash twice, both times in the two weeks of my first trip to Poland in the 90's. Driving there was nuts

I see so many "back in my day" memes shared on Facebook about people who did dangerous stuff as kids and are better adults for it, but, like, many other kids didn't make it to adulthood...

Anyway, I'm at the point where my mom gets pissed at me because I don't start driving until she buckles her seat belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Uthor posted:

a Polski Fiat (plus our luggage)

ok, what the hell? This video is from this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_tFb2ohx4

Literally never heard about this car before, now everyone is talking about it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
was it this thread we were talking about altimas like a week ago? this got posted in the meme thread

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean, it’s a car that’s only been around for five decades…

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Uthor posted:

I see so many "back in my day" memes shared on Facebook about people who did dangerous stuff as kids and are better adults for it, but, like, many other kids didn't make it to adulthood...

This is where knowing about survivor bias comes in handy

:smith:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Tony!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jonny Nox posted:

Someone doesn't watch Garbage Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FHMYvCzUg

Fix this immediately Jonny.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I watched this video last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vBAl2AWnA

does that count? (very thread appropriate video this time)

Also, I love his drum videos and appreciate Dankpods, Garbage Time is absolutely on my to-do list.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Jonny Nox posted:

Worst car we ever owned! It was fun when it ran and nothing was wrong with it but that was fairly rare.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I don't care - it's too adorably cute not to like.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This is a picture of two friend-shaped things.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Midjack posted:

They haven't confirmed that the N Vision 74 is going into production yet.

I'm aware, but they still built the prototype as a hydrogen fuel cell car.

opengl posted:

I look forward to seeing how they translate it into a CUV with a CVT.

Honda managed to gently caress up the e, even.
"Whoa, this little two door hatchback design seems to really resonate with the masses! ...Let's turn it into a fatter 4-door!"

BuckyDoneGun posted:

This is exactly what people whined about the Cayenne too.

Rightfully so.
VAG just has a metric poo poo-ton more money to blow, and also already had other branded SUVs to crib from/subsidize other brands with.

If Porsche was *just* Porsche, they'd have to choose which to dedicate more resources to, and the sports cars would suffer for it.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Doesn't matter if they're "worthwhile" to purist curmudgeon forum posters or not, they still mostly fly out the door, compared to the volumes of the purist models. To the other posters point - has Porsche stopped selling 911's? Nope, they keep pumping them out in ever increasing editions.

Still dilutes the brand. No one thinks "spots car" when someone says "Porsche" now, except old people.
Think about it. When SUVs "fly out the door", that's what the company is now known for.

I'm also an old man yelling at clouds, so you can safely ignore me.
Capitalism gonna capitalism no matter what my feelings on it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Still dilutes the brand. No one thinks "spots car" when someone says "Porsche" now, except old people.
Think about it. When SUVs "fly out the door", that's what the company is now known for.

I don't for a second believe anyone on this planet thinks of an SUV instead of a 911 when you mention the name Porsche, regardless of age.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darchangel posted:

Rightfully so.
VAG just has a metric poo poo-ton more money to blow, and also already had other branded SUVs to crib from/subsidize other brands with.

They sold a lot more Cayennes than Touregs. Maybe even more than the Q7.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

They sold a lot more Cayennes than Touregs. Maybe even more than the Q7.

Which is hilarious because, personally, the Cayenne was worse and the only saving grace was the Porsche badge, effectively it was a Q5/Q7 in a different body. Q7 had better seating options too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ror posted:

The cutest gang

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Enos Cabell posted:

I don't for a second believe anyone on this planet thinks of an SUV instead of a 911 when you mention the name Porsche, regardless of age.

You just keep thinking that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ror posted:

We tried to get her to go for a ride in it but she was not interested as soon as the engine started. The car was amazing in the snow, easy slides for days and never got stuck in several inches of fresh powder. If I can find another for cheap, say <$2500, I'll but it and do a budget ev build.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

NitroSpazzz posted:

We tried to get her to go for a ride in it but she was not interested as soon as the engine started. The car was amazing in the snow, easy slides for days and never got stuck in several inches of fresh powder. If I can find another for cheap, say <$2500, I'll but it and do a budget ev build.

I was shocked when my cousin told me to off-road his through the farm. Worked perfectly fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Darchangel posted:

You just keep thinking that.

I mean, back at ya. You're the one trying to claim an insane point here.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Enos Cabell posted:

Sure the 911 rocks, but if you can only afford 1 Porsche and want to fit more than 2 people in it on a regular basis, the 911 probably isn't the Porsche for you. Plus, they're usually garage kept, don't go out in bad weather, and old ones hold their value so well that most people won't even get a chance to see one when looking for used cars on a reasonable budget; whereas you used to be able to be able to afford a used Cayenne for what, $10k? People buy them and use them as regular cars, so the average person is probably going to think of the Cayenne they see on their commute rather than the top of the line sports coupe that might be taken out of the garage on nice summer days

And just in case you think I'm talking out of my rear end, here's Porsche saying that only about 15% of all new Porsches sold are 911's, and they sell about a quarter as well as the Porshe SUV's do. Law of averages means that even if the 911 were driven every day, available at reasonable prices, and street parked the same way as the Cayenne or Macan are, odds are simply that you'll just see more Cayennes and Macans in person and have a stronger brand association with an SUV

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My god, there is so much doodie... so much. There's an avalanche of badness in this thread. Please allow me a pass on a palate cleanser with something beautiful

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
i think suv's are trash and furthermore

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Catastrophe posted:

My god, there is so much doodie... so much. There's an avalanche of badness in this thread. Please allow me a pass on a palate cleanser with something beautiful

I feel like I just got sixxer baited

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Catastrophe posted:

i dont like the wheels but the rest of that is perfect, especially the color, sixxer me with it Cat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Catastrophe posted:

It's... the Terrible Car Stuff thread. Does what it says on the tin.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Which is hilarious because, personally, the Cayenne was worse and the only saving grace was the Porsche badge, effectively it was a Q5/Q7 in a different body. Q7 had better seating options too.

Wasn't the Touareg the one that had a turbodiesel where replacing the turbo was a cab-off job? I remember seeing one for sale locally last year that had been modified for offroad and seeing that it "just had some turbo blowby" and laughing that they were still asking like 15k for that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Enos Cabell posted:

They're definitely not known for being sporty. They're known for being old man cars.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
So do all 6-wheel vehicles go in this thread or is it a case by case basis

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1703642589700952115

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gender swapped Thunderbirds reboot looking FAB

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wasn't the Touareg the one that had a turbodiesel where replacing the turbo was a cab-off job? I remember seeing one for sale locally last year that had been modified for offroad and seeing that it "just had some turbo blowby" and laughing that they were still asking like 15k for that.

For the V10 TDI - yes. For the 3.0 TDI, no. I don't think it was a cab off affair for the V8 TDI either.

And you don't remove the cab, you drop the engine. But to be fair, you have to do that for ANY of the accessories. I think you can replace the alternator without dropping the engine, but its in the middle of the valley.

Totally terrible car poo poo.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 26, 2023

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The V10 seemed dumb all round.

My old workmate was eying up a V12 Q7 but decided to go with the V8 instead. Probably a good move.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

The V10 seemed dumb all round.

My old workmate was eying up a V12 Q7 but decided to go with the V8 instead. Probably a good move.

I won't lie, if someone offered me one, I'd take it. I've driven one its a fun engine.

But I also know a guy if I need to do engine work on it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ether Frenzy posted:

quote:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

quote:

Very nice V12 engine of 5345 cm³ 265 HP and runs well with good oil pressure 80 when the engine is cold and 30 when the engine is warm.

Negatives: Front oil seal leaks some oil. Fuel gauge does not work, headliner needs to be replaced. Minor paint imperfections.

You don't say?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 26, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

For the V10 TDI - yes. For the 3.0 TDI, no. I don't think it was a cab off affair for the V8 TDI either.

And you don't remove the cab, you drop the engine. But to be fair, you have to do that for ANY of the accessories. I think you can replace the alternator without dropping the engine, but its in the middle of the valley.

ford and vag trading notes I see.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Oh my loving God, is that belt driven THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE ENGINE? it sure looks like the belt is not at the front or rear of the crank.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 26, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Speleothing posted:

They're definitely not known for being sporty. They're known for being old man cars.

I don't grant your "not known for being sporty" premise, that's just wild, but literally anything "nice" is an old man car, sure, because they're the only people with any money.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a34730461/income-inequality-is-killing-sports-cars/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wrong thread. This owns and I would have one.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

:golfclap: My 20+ year old username is a HST reference, I couldn't get "Ether Binge" when I was making a username at the start of the Xbox Live era.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wrong thread. This owns and I would have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wrong thread.