Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

feedmyleg posted:

Which part of that are you taking umbrage with? The marketing machine behind Swift any anyone of her ilk is absolutely gargantuan, and social media marketing techniques are insidious and underhanded.

Why bother looking up any reasons why Swift might be more popular now than before when you can just make up poo poo in your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Anything I don't like is an evil conspiracy

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I see that you've never worked for a social marketing agency

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I know enough Swifties to know that she doesn't need any additional astroturfing. The phenomenon is real, alienating, and terrifying.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

freedom_of_speech.jpeg I don't care for Taylor swift

If there was an evil advertising conspiracy to make everyone like Taylor swift then why don't I like Taylor swift? Clearly they're not doing a good job, QED

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

[Seeing a woman enjoy things]

a conspiracy is afoot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Have you ever met a teenage girl? At any point in your life, at all?

If the answer is 'yes', you understand Taylor Swift's popularity, even if you don't realize it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Taylor Swift will like tweet a picture of an apple and her fanbase will go absolutely bugfuck nuts to crack the code and it's pretty funny to hear about.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Taylor Swift? Old news. Someone my wife knows (30-something) posted the other day about trying to get tickets for Olivia Rodrigo, who I only first learned about from a video on twitter a week before that one might think was a current-day parody of Avril Lavigne, which included this awful, awful scream that was supposed to be punk or something I dunno but was instead just insanely grating and embarrassing.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

As a Taylor Swift fan, the dual answer is that a) yes she is good at music, and she has been being good at music for 15 years, in a number of popular genres for a number of big demographics, so yeah she is just a massive massive pop star, and b) the internet has shattered the minds of like 90% of people so that's boosted her a lot as well, like for every infowars crackpot there's an equally broken taylor swift crackpot out there.

Anyway, here's a funny tweet

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

codo27 posted:

Taylor Swift? Old news. Someone my wife knows (30-something) posted the other day about trying to get tickets for Olivia Rodrigo, who I only first learned about from a video on twitter a week before that one might think was a current-day parody of Avril Lavigne, which included this awful, awful scream that was supposed to be punk or something I dunno but was instead just insanely grating and embarrassing.

teenage girls who scream? it's all about harper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRrk__m0iA

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Large Testicles posted:

teenage girls who scream? it's all about harper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRrk__m0iA

Not actually a teenager yet.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

Oh word?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/62598/do-rabbits-really-love-carrots

Yeah, I'm not joking.

In Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit stories, which predate Bugs Bunny, Peter Rabbit eats mainly lettuce and radishes. Carrots aren't mentioned at all.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

From That Article posted:

carrots are like candy for rabbits, so they should be given in moderation!

we had a "pet" wild rabbit and we'd give him a baby carrot like once a week cause i had heard this years ago too, a pile of cabbage and other leafy veg was refreshed daily

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
lol imagine having your candy be carrots. rabbits are idiots

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lmao during a discussion I had with my best mate last weekend (because he's turning into a kids these days grump despite swearing he never would) I showed him the simpsons it'll happen to you bit.

But yeah, I'm getting older (mid 30s) and I'm definitely starting to feel it, especially because my job is basically all about caring for and hanging out with (teenage) kids.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is a collaboration with Bon Iver that she was the songwriter on.

https://youtu.be/osdoLjUNFnA?si=_8Urj0a4OCdEQsu2

It was kindof of the line where she went from: this is empty to oh there is some substance here.

Okay yeah, I like that song and I'm definitely going to check out more of her music now.

Still, I stand by my point that every single (promotional) picture I've seen of her she has this empty, vacant look about her. Her being a 'perfect product' for both teenage girls and adult (white) women to imprint on doesn't mean she has talent though so again, no judgment, just curious.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ELTON JOHN posted:

I remember hearing from an alcoholic that when he got sober, carrots tasted like candy because his tastebuds were totally deadened.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
A great time to post Mitch’s if carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be hosed up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Whoever taught goons what astroturfing was deserved to be shot

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I think it was more just one or two people constantly complaining about it until everyone else assumed it was a widespread problem.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
monsanto has a lot to answer for

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Whoever taught goons what astroturfing was deserved to be shot

Also who showrunners are

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Taylor Swift is incredibly cool in that she has given a surprising number of people schizophrenia. You can't imagine the numerology that goes on in the real serious parts of the fan base.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wow I didn't know the disease could be triggered by pop stars, how interesting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Paul Is Dead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SkeletonHero posted:

I think it was more just one or two people constantly complaining about it until everyone else assumed it was a widespread problem.

Nah I remember when the whole Morbius meme became a thing people were convinced it was a studio created thing. Dudes couldn’t make a good movie but completely dominated the internet for two weeks

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ELTON JOHN posted:

this is how I feel about humans that eat carrot cake, too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Taeke posted:

Still, I stand by my point that every single (promotional) picture I've seen of her she has this empty, vacant look about her. Her being a 'perfect product' for both teenage girls and adult (white) women to imprint on doesn't mean she has talent though so again, no judgment, just curious.

She was watching the football and yelled "let's loving go!" when her boyfriend scored.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

People constructing an identity around being fans of a musician isn't a new thing. Beatlemania, Deadheads, Parrotheads, the people that follow Phish around on tour, 90s boy bands, kpop stans, etc.. are all the same thing. Taylor Swift is that plus a decent amount of songwriting and business talent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ELTON JOHN posted:

They're a common treat for training food-motivated dogs.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TotalLossBrain posted:

im permabanned poster swiftielover58. i first started listening to taylor when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "fighting dragons" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat songs like "the lucky one" and "all too well (10 minute version)" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "pop" style of music was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" taylor swift to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

People constructing an identity around being fans of a musician isn't a new thing. Beatlemania, Deadheads, Parrotheads, the people that follow Phish around on tour, 90s boy bands, kpop stans, etc.. are all the same thing. Taylor Swift is that plus a decent amount of songwriting and business talent.

Then pressure cookered through social media.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Aphrodite posted:

She [...] yelled "let's loving go!" when her boyfriend scored.

Oh yeah they did :wiggle:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/KindaHagi/status/1706078366695117033

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Taeke posted:

Lmao during a discussion I had with my best mate last weekend (because he's turning into a kids these days grump despite swearing he never would) I showed him the simpsons it'll happen to you bit.

But yeah, I'm getting older (mid 30s) and I'm definitely starting to feel it, especially because my job is basically all about caring for and hanging out with (teenage) kids.

My son is gen alpha and him and all his friends have been absolutely taken over by skibidi toilet and I saw some videos explaining it and watching gen z absolutely lose their poo poo in the comments because they couldn't understand how some pop culture internet thing could be so big without them previously hearing about it and coming to the realization they are approaching aging out of cool kid culture had me become the personification of that jack Nicholson yes gif

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/NCassiel/status/1706154033042657428

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

In my town's fb group, someone posted a picture of her lost bunch of keys. After she got them back, I posted saying I liked her keytag, which said "F*ck the Patriarchy". Suddenly a whole pile of other women started posting Swiftie stuff, and I was so confused, I had no idea there was any specific connection..
Turns out the keytag was an actual piece of T Swift merch, and my appreciation of the basic sentiment turned into a lot of Swiftian bonding. To be clear, I am not complaining about this, I think its great she's introduced a whole new generation of women to the concept and how it needs to get f*cked, I was just kind of surprised that it was so closely associated with one person.
She's doing good work IMHO, so many young people are registering to vote because she told them it was important.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Taeke posted:

Her being a 'perfect product' for both teenage girls and adult (white) women to imprint on doesn't mean she has talent though so again, no judgment, just curious.

quote:

Swift has won 12 Grammy Awards (including three for Album of the Year—tying for the most by an artist),[413] an Emmy Award,[414] 40 American Music Awards (the most won by an artist),[415] 29 Billboard Music Awards (the most won by a woman),[416] 101 Guinness World Records,[417] 23 MTV Video Music Awards (including four Video of the Year wins—the most by an act),[253] 12 Country Music Association Awards (including the Pinnacle Award),[418] eight Academy of Country Music Awards,[419] and two Brit Awards.[168] As a songwriter, she has been honored by the Nashville Songwriters Association,[62][420] the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and the National Music Publishers' Association and was the youngest person on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time in 2015.[421][422] At the 64th BMI Awards in 2016, Swift was the first woman to be honored with an award named after its recipient.[423]

No talent at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hmm I don't listen to Taylor Swift so I'm just going to assume she has no talent and just call it a day.