Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

lol i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should make a regional horror called Castle Rock about a rich white Republican town in Colorado 30 mins south of Denver where a group of teenagers are incredible bored because there’s nothing to do and every single adult and cop makes it their mission to make sure they can’t do anything remotely fun

Based off a true story

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
TCM2 kicks rear end

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Local horror is a great idea, especially since it narrows my choices to either The Wicker Man, Under The Skin, Dog Soldiers or Doomsday, all of which are great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I hadn't planned on doing the challenge stuff but this could get me to finally check out Nightbreed

Just want to emphasize that the challenges are 100% optional and that if you want to post in the October Challenge thread about the 5 or 6 or 10 horror flicks you watch this season, by all means we want you to participate! There's zero requirements to post there and I wish people would be a little less focused on the challenges to be honest.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
really looking forward to the challenge, I've abstained from horror this month with the exception of the 1958 The Fly on the 6th which was a rewatch and Older Gods on the 2nd which I thought was lousy. Itching for some good new horror movies!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually figured out a challenge to do that’s selfish and personal lol so we’ll see

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I actually figured out a challenge to do that’s selfish and personal lol so we’ll see

It'll probably spice up the thread which would be awesome, sometimes with the challenges you get a lot of people watching the same movies.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

I watched Fire in the Sky for the first time last night. A lot of the movie wasn't great, but that alien torture scene? :stonk: Jesus loving Christ, that was bone-chilling. Glad I didn't see this when I was a kid because it definitely would've given me nightmares.

The first time I saw that I was extremely high, watching it alone.

When it got to that part, it became like a bad acid trip. Just incredibly disturbing, and I could not stop thinking about it for days.

Very few films have had that kind of effect on me.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Last year the challenges were just broad enough that I was able to fit about 80% of the 31 I watched onto the bingo sheet without going out of my way, but the challenges were nice because they got me to watch a few things I otherwise never would have.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I like having the challenges because it gives me a bit of direction.

Also I realized last night that, since the thread is apparently counting from the 29th, it means I can count Saw X for my total :hellyeah:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The only challenge I'm doing is a personal one of watching 31 horror movies from 31 different years. Anything else is gravy.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think the challenge is like a welcoming gym, and individual challenges are like additional weights. gently caress yeah, go whole hog and do a million if you can, but showing up and doing a little is just as good. It’s a personal challenge not a competition between participants.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the challenge is like a welcoming gym
this gym in particular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQW3qKhvyQ

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Oooo I really like the idea of something with a local setting.

For me that was Track of the Moonbeast. Set in Albuquerque, filmed in Albuquerque. I was able to visit/track down every location in the film except one. It's at the end where they have the final fight with the monster. They head past a street sign that I can't make out for the life of me and I've not found any still/print that's clear enough to make out what street it is. I haven't been able to find enough info to go look into maps of the city when the film was shot to compare to the city now to get an idea of where to triangulate it down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna combine the 2 ideas into 1 challenge: Watch a movie from your place of birth OR watch a movie from your birth year

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

For me that was Track of the Moonbeast. Set in Albuquerque, filmed in Albuquerque. I was able to visit/track down every location in the film except one. It's at the end where they have the final fight with the monster. They head past a street sign that I can't make out for the life of me and I've not found any still/print that's clear enough to make out what street it is. I haven't been able to find enough info to go look into maps of the city when the film was shot to compare to the city now to get an idea of where to triangulate it down.

O that’s really cool. I hadn’t even thought of shooting location, I was only thinking the actual setting in the fiction. Either or a combo opens it waaaaaaay up.

Plus someone could go for the brass ring of having a screenshot from the movie and a picture of the actual location. And also the rare but fun “Hey! Our local geography works precisely nothing like that! Poughkeepsie is very different and actually shittier!”

There’s a horror author I love who’s local and sets his stories in a slightly-disguised analog of the area (i.e. the town settled by French Huguenots is called “Huguenot” ; my hometown is named after the mountain it’s next to rather than the valley it’s in) It’s really fun to read along and figure out what’s what ; my dad and I went on a hike years ago to where the fish-people demons haunt the New York reservoir.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think where you were born is more fun for the local challenge than where you live, since so many rural folks move to cities.

For me, I was afraid us Iowans would be stuck with Children of the Corn, but it looks like we have The Crazies remake and Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse, and that Children of the Corn isn't actually set in Iowa at all.

My favorite inaccurate depiction of Iowa on screen was on 24, which depicted it as having mountains and canyons.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Mountains of cow poo poo and canyons dug deeply into the cow poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

The only challenge I'm doing is a personal one of watching 31 horror movies from 31 different years. Anything else is gravy.

my partner and I are trying to watch 31 horror movies that neither of us has seen before, which is a bit of a challenge since we're both big horror buffs but i somehow have a list of like 65 movies ready to go already.

some off the list that I'm particularly interested in are The Video Dead (1987), Blades (1989), Monster From the Ocean Floor (1954), Cellar Dweller (1988), Tumbbad (2018), Curfew (1989) and The Manitou (1978). Feel free to peep the list and tell me what else is good.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Xiahou Dun posted:

O that’s really cool. I hadn’t even thought of shooting location, I was only thinking the actual setting in the fiction. Either or a combo opens it waaaaaaay up.

Plus someone could go for the brass ring of having a screenshot from the movie and a picture of the actual location. And also the rare but fun “Hey! Our local geography works precisely nothing like that! Poughkeepsie is very different and actually shittier!”

There’s a horror author I love who’s local and sets his stories in a slightly-disguised analog of the area (i.e. the town settled by French Huguenots is called “Huguenot” ; my hometown is named after the mountain it’s next to rather than the valley it’s in) It’s really fun to read along and figure out what’s what ; my dad and I went on a hike years ago to where the fish-people demons haunt the New York reservoir.

The funny thing was I hadn't planned on tracking down the locations until I recognized one when I was on the bus and it spiraled on from there. I did do a 'here's how it is now' in my review archived on Letterboxd.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my partner and I are trying to watch 31 horror movies that neither of us has seen before, which is a bit of a challenge since we're both big horror buffs but i somehow have a list of like 65 movies ready to go already.

some off the list that I'm particularly interested in are The Video Dead (1987), Blades (1989), Monster From the Ocean Floor (1954), Cellar Dweller (1988), Tumbbad (2018), Curfew (1989) and The Manitou (1978). Feel free to peep the list and tell me what else is good.

You can scooch Bliss to the tippy-top of your list, it's an outstanding update to Ferrera's The Addiction; We're All Going to the World's Fair is the slowest of burns for nothing, easily skippable imo. Cursed and Carnosaur are howlingly fun romps but in no way scary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

re: regional stuff, if we have any Idahoans here, I recently watched The Being and quite enjoyed it. And if you're a fellow masshole, you have no excuse not to watch Winterbeast.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Basebf555 posted:

I think I'm gonna combine the 2 ideas into 1 challenge: Watch a movie from your place of birth OR watch a movie from your birth year

This is good because I've already run through anything halfway decent and available from my birth year in previous challenges

Lost a family member a few days ago who was a big horror fan, so part of my challenge will be watching all of her horror favorites :unsmith:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Where your born is tough because it'd have to be like regional not local otherwise you couldn't watch any thing

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

My favorite inaccurate depiction of Iowa on screen was on 24, which depicted it as having mountains and canyons.
I'm from Miami, and the number of movies set in sofla that have basements (CRAWL being the most recent and prominent example) is stunning. There are literally no basements in the state of Florida. They aren't a thing. The water table is so high and our elevation so low that you just can't go 30 feet deep in to the ground without piercing the aquafir.

That said, we do get Day of the Dead, Annihilation (panhandle but still counts!) and the miserable Escape from Tomorrow set in Disney.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

LOL at everyone in this thread who wasn’t born in New York City and has 1,000,000 regional horror movies available

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Where your born is tough because it'd have to be like regional not local otherwise you couldn't watch any thing

The definition of "birthplace" will be very loose. In general I will not be a stickler for rules with these challenges.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

...peep the list and tell me what else is good.

There's Nothing Out There is really dumb but super fun, The Unseen has a reveal that's incredibly unfortunate and hasn't aged well at all, and The Boogens is a kind of low key fun monster movie that has a really odd nude scene where the woman has the flattest rear end of all time.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m from New York—way too easy—but consider myself more specifically a Long Islander—also way too easy.

but most stuff is set in Suffolk County, in rich people areas, or shot elsewhere though; where are our lovely low-budget indies starring south shore Nassau dirtbags?!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I’m from New York—way too easy—but consider myself more specifically a Long Islander—also way too easy.

but most stuff is set in Suffolk County, in rich people areas, or shot elsewhere though; where are our lovely low-budget indies starring south shore Nassau dirtbags?!

Isn’t Final Destination set in Montauk or something?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mover posted:

LOL at everyone in this thread who wasn’t born in New York City and has 1,000,000 regional horror movies available

If you're from NYC, you have to do neighborhood. Or borough if you were born in, like, Bensonhurst.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 25, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Isn’t Final Destination set in Montauk or something?

that’s Suffolk County! but yeah it’s set on Long Island. mostly filmed in Vancouver but I think a little bit here

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ghoulies II is my favorite on this list by far, though the first one is fun albeit unremarkable. Would make for a fun double-feature. Going to go to bat for Skinned Deep as an underloved gonzo gem. Death Spa is a ton of fun and is exactly what you'd expect based on the title. Wolfman 2010 deserves a much better reputation than it has, even if it was chopped up a bit in reshoots. Invisible Invaders is a good time if you enjoy drive-in movie schlock and love an on-the-nose social metaphor. The Flesh Eaters is really solid and has more going on under the hood then you might assume.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ya know what, I’ve been falling off a bit on horror since covid so I’m joining/stealing from you on this though theres no chance I can get to 31. Twenty horror I’ve never seen before seems possible. Cant be worse than Tubiween from a few years ago.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the carrier is the one that stuck with me the most, probably won't ever forget that one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't seen The Manitou but I've read the book and it's trash on top of being pretty racist.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I would definitely put Bliss on the top of that watch list and just skip Worlds Fair entirely.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

im watching cellar dweller right now! its a hoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

im watching cellar dweller right now! its a hoot

it's just a great title. great record too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyrxi4FPdOg