Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Idiom watch all of Adventure Time god DAMMIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its a pretty breezy watch, the episodes are only like ten minutes each so even if the episode is bad its over pretty soon. Just watch it all if you’re interested

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Most of the specials except I think Diamonds and Lemons are canon to the series as well (Stakes is after the 5th episode of Season 7, Elements is after the first episode of Season 9, and Distant Lands is after the end of the series proper)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kiminewt posted:

I enjoyed the original Adventure Time pilot/short and none of the rest that I tried. Algebraic!

Same here. I enjoyed the short but then I stopped paying attention for a year or two and when I turned around suddenly this show was a juggernaut and I felt too intimidated and out of touch to try it. Like peeking in on Homestuck

I guess if it's over and producing spinoffs now is the time

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
ok i can guess what the wish was for creating for most of the worlds, but cant figure out who or what the wish was for the vampire world.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Iretep posted:

ok i can guess what the wish was for creating for most of the worlds, but cant figure out who or what the wish was for the vampire world.

I'm guessing the wish there was "I wish Simon never found the crown"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are they all wish-based, or is the Litch one just a universe where his Prismo wish came true? The anime Ice King said he did a ritual to send his madness to Bubblegum.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Pakled posted:

I'm guessing the wish there was "I wish Simon never found the crown"

Simon found the crown, he was just killed by the vampire king who then took the crown off Simons corpse.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Are they all wish-based, or is the Litch one just a universe where his Prismo wish came true? The anime Ice King said he did a ritual to send his madness to Bubblegum.

Its possible not all are wish based since we dont have enough info, but its fun to speculate. Dead world is definetly Liches wish to end all life though. Mad max world is also Finns wish that lich never excisted.
What ive guessed so far is:
Baby world is probably beemos,
Ice king has his sanity world is either Bettys or Marcelines wish though im going with Betty since wishes have ironic twists toward the wisher so Betty being forgotten by Simon would be a pretty big monkeys paw toward her. Plus Betty definetly tried Prismo to cure Simon at some point.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The best part of any of the original Fiona and cake episodes of adventure time were the punchlines at the end when the whole thing turns out to be the ice kings fanfic he is reading to a captive audience.

This full episode popped into my youtube suggestions with all of the new adventure time stuff out, this is a good episode to watch of adventure time if you want probably one of the best for sad ice king backstory's and a emotional ride, especially if you've ever had a loved one get alzheimers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnCT7d7THpY
Has my recommendation if you haven't watched adventure time before but were curious.

CaptainCrunch posted:

:same:

Those flashbacks with Simon and Marcy, that "song" they made out of Simon's notes and unsent letters sorta broke my heart. Goddamn that dude deserved better after raising a kid in the wasteland.
Yeah. That was the one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As much as I like Steven Universe I do kinda wish Rebecca Sugar had stayed working on AT. She just got it!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

As much as I like Steven Universe I do kinda wish Rebecca Sugar had stayed working on AT. She just got it!

I forget, is she involved with Fiona & Cake?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

I forget, is she involved with Fiona & Cake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfcsXJmrzYY

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, I think that might be the first thing she’s done since Amphibia’s Christmas episode (which she wasn’t credited for)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah two of the songs she contributed to the series, Everything Stays and Time Adventure, are really incredible. Both are sort of how the passage of time doesn't matter, either things are still there but changed a bit, or that time itself is an illusion so there is always a moment those close to you will always be around you because that moment always exists at a certain point in time. That last song is also sort of a meta commentary on the events in the series being part of a show though, since even after you watch the finale you can always go back to the old episodes. The lyrics "If there was some amazing force outside of time To take us back to where we were And hang each moment up like pictures on the wall Inside a billion tiny frames so that we could see it all, all, all." its kind a reference to animation or film making in general.

Over the past few weeks I've rewatched most of Adventure Time, skipping parts of season 1 and 2 when things are still a bit too rough. Seasons 4 and 5 are where the series really seems to solidify and stay on a constant trajectory until the end, probably because Adam Muto was running things by that point and stayed until the end.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Iretep posted:

Obviously someone just wanted a cool vampire world. Is it that hard?

Alternatively, maybe Marceline wished to be totally free of Hunson Abadeer which just put her under the thumb of the Vampire King.

Or maybe it was someone else entirely and they just wished for it to be night all the time.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I will say that S1 of AT is much stronger than I was expecting. Easy to forget that before it became one of the first Lore Shows it started off as one of the last Sconer Shows

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mutantIke posted:

I will say that S1 of AT is much stronger than I was expecting. Easy to forget that before it became one of the first Lore Shows it started off as one of the last Sconer Shows

Stoner Shows?

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Yeah, sconers. People who like to get sconed

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Br*tish.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I'm one of the few people that found Tree Trunks flirting and exploding hilarious. That's considered an all-time low ep somehow.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Treetrunks focus is an ep skip for me. She's okay in small doses but her schtick doesn't do much for me

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Warbird posted:

The Br*tish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyN2IeQV6U

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sivart13 posted:

That was the clip that got me to watch the show

Sivart13 posted:

though I still can't look at the animation without it feeling like a bunch of paper dolls. Maybe it's just me.

No I see it too, but that makes the sudden out-of-nowhere 360 degree shot during the song's climax hit that much harder.

Sivart13 posted:

the song is killer but it's undermined in context by Cass's betrayal being mostly unearned and her having no plan other than conjuring rocks and making faces

Full disclosure: I haven't seen the whole series (good lord there's a ton of filler), but as far as I can tell from watching some of the song clips and the last few episodes, Cassandra's arc is just her being constantly poo poo on as second fiddle to The Official Disney Princess and finally just says gently caress it, next time we go on some adventure and the chance presents itself, I'll become a supervillain.

She actually seems like a really interesting and compelling character, which is why it annoyed me that at the end of the series she literally just kind of fucks off never to be seen again.

The Disney Parks are doing their annual Halloween parties and this year they're bringing back a bunch of weird villains for meet and greets, like Sid from Toy Story and Judge Doom from Roger Rabbit. It seems like it'd be easy to have Cass show up but maybe she's too obscure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

By the way, if anyone hasn't watched the Lower Decks crossover with Strange New Worlds then you really should. It's mostly live action of course but it starts off animated, and it's pretty wild seeing Boimler and Mariner in live action.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hazo posted:

No I see it too, but that makes the sudden out-of-nowhere 360 degree shot during the song's climax hit that much harder.

Full disclosure: I haven't seen the whole series (good lord there's a ton of filler), but as far as I can tell from watching some of the song clips and the last few episodes, Cassandra's arc is just her being constantly poo poo on as second fiddle to The Official Disney Princess and finally just says gently caress it, next time we go on some adventure and the chance presents itself, I'll become a supervillain.

She actually seems like a really interesting and compelling character, which is why it annoyed me that at the end of the series she literally just kind of fucks off never to be seen again.

Eh, it's kinda complicated. I don't think she really gets poo poo on that much, but she has some other motivations that weren't really revealed by that point. It's also annoying that her previous ambition in season one to become the new captain of the guard like her foster father just kinda gets forgotten about. I also kinda expected a twist of Cass and Varian being related because they have the same hair, but that wasn't the twist that happened.

The series ending with her just loving off to parts unknown was a weird note to end on, I guess in context it makes sense that she'd need some distance from everybody because everything would be awkward for a while, but you'd think it'd be a setup for something else, maybe she would get a series. There was also some kind of buzz that there were plans for a similar Princess and the Frog series, but there was neither. It's frustrating for the Tangled series to be so good, but then Disney just decides to not go any further down that road. Unless you count The Ghost and Molly McGee being music-heavy as a successor.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Das Boo posted:

I think I'm one of the few people that found Tree Trunks flirting and exploding hilarious. That's considered an all-time low ep somehow.

Huh, I've only ever seen the original Tree Trunks episode regarded with mild approval at worst. It's mostly the later, post Crystals Have Powers TT episodes most people seem to not like, which I can kind of understand: While I like Dream of Love's central conflict being that everyone is really sick of Tree Trunks and Mr. Pig's constant PDAs, way too much of that episode was taken up by the two of them singing a sad love song without any real gags.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Were there a lot of TT fans back in the day or something? I was surprised to see her get a second episode, let alone even more but I've only seen three so far.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

she appears weirdly frequently considering the pool of characters they have to pick from. somebody in creative must've really liked her.

i've always felt like there was this element of - isn't this character terrible? isn't it funny how she's getting so much screentime? but the character isn't terrible enough for that to loop back around to funny like it does with LSP for example, who makes me laugh pretty consistently

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
From what I remember of following the production team back in the day, I think they just really like working with her voice actress? I remember that she was originally just supposed to have straight up died at the end of her first episode but they liked the character enough to bring her back in season 2.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tree Trunks is great you're all jerks :mad:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Tree Trunks is great and the idea that she's up in space with alien hunks rocks.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Sockser posted:

Tree Trunks is great you're all jerks :mad:

I like her a lot, I just don't like the plots that surround her after the first episode so far

roomtone posted:

i've always felt like there was this element of - isn't this character terrible? isn't it funny how she's getting so much screentime? but the character isn't terrible enough for that to loop back around to funny like it does with LSP for example, who makes me laugh pretty consistently

I remember around Cartoon Network did this with Cheese and Fred Fredburger but I don't really get that vibe from TT, she doesn't really have that kind of gimmick

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

my favorite Tree Trunks moment
https://i.imgur.com/Fq9skyW.mp4

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

:hai:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tree "Do y'all have any guns?" Trunks is great and I support her in her fight against fascism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdbFViJ3AA&ab_channel=BunnyFett

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ring of Fire which is the tree trunks swashbuckling history episode with all her ex-lovers was really entertaining and was nominated for an Emmy. I also like the one where she has alien boyfriends.

I think I skipped the others on my rewatch. Shes an odd duck (er, elephant) of a character. The voice is both entertaining and grating and its such a mystery of if she's supposed to be an old woman or that's just her demeanor.

Related to Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake, I found the acoustic version of the song they played in episode 8. This one is another emotional mallet straight to the chest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYzOJkZe568

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I've been rewatching the show, and Treetrunks shows up as an extra in episodes between her explosion and revival, so the show definitely wasn't entirely adhering to a strict continuity until it started to build up enough backstory.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I had the following exchange in the dispensary checkout line once:

Me: Hey, I like your BMO tattoo.
Clerk: (Thoughtfully) *I* like my BMO tattoo.
Guy In Line Next To Me: I love BMO!
Clerk #2: BMO's the best...

It stuck with me for three reasons. First, no duh everyone at the dispensary likes Adventure Time. Second, it was a sincere and completely organic "BMO BMO YAAAAAY!!!" moment. Thirdly, on a subsequent visit I noticed the clerk had a "My pronouns are they/them" button and I was like "Ohhhhhh, BMO tattoo!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just started watching Adventure Time myself over this past weekend, I'm a few episodes into season two. I think the last episode I saw was Crystals Have Power?

City of Thieves has been my favorite episode so far but goddamn, the stupid horse episode made me laugh the hardest. That stupid loving face almost made me fall off the couch laughing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Look at this stupid goddamn thing I love it so much.