Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Funky Valentine posted:

Like I understand why non-comics media keeps making Juggernaut a mutant because he's a weird standout in the X-Men rogues gallery otherwise but Emma already has a group of evil mutants who think they're hot poo poo!
Mutant or not, Rogue should always be able to absorb Juggernaut's powers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfQfusZtpk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Assepoester posted:

Mutant or not, Rogue should always be able to absorb Juggernaut's powers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfQfusZtpk

I mean she's never been limited to only stealing Mutant powers or life force in any version as far as I'm aware

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Space Adentures X M E N

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

I mean she's never been limited to only stealing Mutant powers or life force in any version as far as I'm aware

Yeah. I mean, Captain/Ms. Marvel isn't a mutant and that was her Thing for ages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PicklePants posted:

Cool Uncle Wolverine and Cool Aunt Storm should always be a thing. Wolverine was a great Cool Uncle to Jubes and Kitty in the comic. I'd love to get a weird convoluted storyline in the new X-Men show that gets us to X-23, Scout/Honeybadger and Jonathon (No Dakken, tho.)

The whole generational angle really worked with the X-Men too, having the family dynamics that emphasise what the X-Men are and how they function as basically a found family for a persecuted minority. It's something that a lot of X-media has leaned into, with Professor X as the grandpa figure for a messy found family, but nothing as much as Evolution, where it's the show's bedrock. Grumpy Uncle Logan is also pretty funny when Kitty Pryde's driving skills manage to legitimately scare him.

Heck, even Deadpool has a touch of that, there's the vibe of Colossus being the sometimes annoying but genuine supportive big brother, and Deadpool that fuckup cousin who means well deep down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched the series finale of Pokemon last night, which was honestly so crazy and took such wild swings it is difficult to process.

I'm spoilering but it is a few weeks old and takes place after the main plot of the series with little bearing on it.

Ash gets a call from his mom asking if he is on his way to some city. He replies yes and she says great, she is meeting his Dad there and they'll get to spend some time together as a family. Ash is psyched and says he hasn't seen his dad in years.

On the way there he goes through a cave and sleeps under a tree, Team Rocket steals Pikachu while he is asleep. He meets a kid named Sunny who says he saw where Pikachu went and leads him to Team Rocket. Ash easily frees Pikachu and defeats Team Rocket. Then he finds out the kid has never touched a Pokemon before. So he spends the whole day teaching the kid about Pokemon and playing in the forest with him and Pokemon so he gets comfortable with the idea of touching one.

Ash gets super hungry and the kid says he knows where a bunch of berries grow. He leads Ash to a grove with tons of berries. Ash starts picking them and sees he is on someone's property. Sunny points out some paintings a man is making in a sunroom and how this one painting of clouds is his favorite. A woman spots Ash and Sunny is just gone gone. She is surprised to see him there and he apologizes for trespassing. A man is there and pretty angry to see him. The wife apologizes and says her husband is just not a people person but gives Ash some bread and a package of berries to enjoy.

Ash eats it and finds Sunny again and offers to share it but Sunny isn't hungry. Sunny asks if Ash can help him get his hat back. A Mankey stole it. This happened to Ash a long time ago and he helps get the hat back, in the process saving the Mankey from a fall. The Mankey is sad about Ash taking the hat so Ash gives it his own. He follows Sunny and winds up at the grove again. The couple are there and shocked to see the hat and the man demands to know where Ash got it. Ash explains he got it from a Mankey and it belongs to Sunny. The man calls Ash a liar and gets angry. Sunny was his son and loved Pokemon but died over a year ago after becoming very ill. Ash points out what Sunny's favorite painting is and they believe him. The man vows to continue painting things Sunny would like.

Ash leaves and runs into Sunny again and asks if he would like to pet Pikachu. Sunny tries but his hand just passes through. Ash embraces Sunny and holds his hand and then touches Pikachu with his own hand and Sunny can feel it. Sunny says it is just as wonderful as he imagined and fades away into nothing, moving on from this world.

Ash finally reaches the Pokemon center where his mom is and she says that his dad had to leave and won't be back for a very long time. She makes him his favorite croquettes which he eats with Pikachu and as he's eating he breaks down in tears uncontrollably.

The next day his mom goes to wake him up but he's already dressed and running out the door, as he heard there was an Entei sighting. He runs to the horizon down a dirt path and the sky is the exact same sky as the man's painting that was Sunny's favorite. The narrator says Ash's journey will continue forever.

THE END

Just an absolutely intense and surprising ending that reminds me of like David the Gnome or something. I haven't seen anyone talking about it at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually that has nothing to do with the series at all, it takes place in the same timeline as the last few movies (which are basically an AU version of Ash’s journey)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Distant Blue Sky is in the main anime timeline.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Distant Blue Sky is in the main anime timeline.

Nope:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/JNS05

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat a ghost messed up Ash's plan to meet Oak.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This article has the following under trivia:

quote:

This special appears to take place in the alternate continuity from I Choose You!, The Power of Us, and Secrets of the Jungle.
With no substantiation. Just in the authors opinion it appears to be in a different continuity?

And

quote:

A Mankey stealing a hat from Sunny and Ash is a reference to Ash getting his hat stolen from a Mankey in Primeape Goes Bananas.
Ash also mentions this event with Mankey during the episode, which means that part of the events in said episode also happened in this timeline.

Even though it directly references events from the main series, the authors conclusion is that this must have also happened in the alternate continuity?

I'm not really seeing any reason this is an alternate continuity other than him wearing a different set of clothes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man that ending sound stupid and pointless. Like at the same time overly sentimental and completely separated from anything the fans would care about. I don't really regret jumping off that anime somewhere in the Johto arc.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

With no substantiation. Just in the authors opinion it appears to be in a different continuity?

And

Even though it directly references events from the main series, the authors conclusion is that this must have also happened in the alternate continuity?

I'm not really seeing any reason this is an alternate continuity other than him wearing a different set of clothes.

Bulbapedia just makes poo poo up constantly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And

It was literally mentioned that it took place in the movie AU back when the episode originally came out in Japan. Most speculate it was a scrapped plot for a cancelled third movie that they just cut down and shoved into the show. Granted I don’t remember where this info came from but I know I didn’t get it from Bulbapedia

That said, you do have a point about the Mankey part

DoctorWhat posted:

Bulbapedia just makes poo poo up constantly

How so? I’ve generally seen them be widely considered a reliable source for the most part

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 25, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man that ending sound stupid and pointless. Like at the same time overly sentimental and completely separated from anything the fans would care about. I don't really regret jumping off that anime somewhere in the Johto arc.

Well in the final season he becomes world champion of the Pokemon League. In the final arc he journeys with Brock and Misty again meeting some of his old Pokemon and solving problems, saving Latias and Latios.

Gary asks if being the champion makes him any closer to being a Pokemon master, which gives Ash a bit of an existential crisis. In the end he determines being champion was never his goal. His goal is to be friends with every Pokemon in the world, that's what a Pokemon master is. That's the second to last episode.

The episode I described was apparently a separate special, though it is standard episode length.

So while I don't see any evidence it isn't in the main continuity, it sounds like this wasn't actually the series finale either, but if you are a kid and watching in America, it's the series finale to you

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Well that seems better, I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well in the final season he becomes world champion of the Pokemon League. In the final arc he journeys with Brock and Misty again meeting some of his old Pokemon and solving problems, saving Latias and Latios.

Gary asks if being the champion makes him any closer to being a Pokemon master, which gives Ash a bit of an existential crisis. In the end he determines being champion was never his goal. His goal is to be friends with every Pokemon in the world, that's what a Pokemon master is. That's the second to last episode.

The episode I described was apparently a separate special, though it is standard episode length.

So while I don't see any evidence it isn't in the main continuity, it sounds like this wasn't actually the series finale either, but if you are a kid and watching in America, it's the series finale to you

I’m pretty sure the miniseries that came after Journeys got dubbed eventually but I’m not 100% on that (I know in the US at least the series finished its run on Netflix rather than on TV)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the miniseries that came after Journeys got dubbed eventually but I’m not 100% on that (I know in the US at least the series finished its run on Netflix rather than on TV)

It did get dubbed, it released on Netflix two weeks ago, that's where I watched it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It did get dubbed, it released on Netflix two weeks ago, that's where I watched it

Ah sorry, I misinterpreted the last sentence of your post

That said, I believe Pokémon did remain on TV in other western countries like Canada however

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 25, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the new pokemon anime (horizons) is quite good imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I assume that will also come to Netflix in a few months. They tend to run about 9 months to one year behind Japan

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume that will also come to Netflix in a few months. They tend to run about 9 months to one year behind Japan

They put a sneak preview of the dubbed first episode on the official YouTube channel a little while back at least (but just the first 10 minutes) but yeah, I expect it to be a little while longer before they actually start putting out the show proper

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uKd6no_njyk

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 25, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This feels like asking why Dick isn’t Robin any more: what happened to Misty and Brock? Did they leave the series in 1998?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

This feels like asking why Dick isn’t Robin any more: what happened to Misty and Brock? Did they leave the series in 1998?

They came back a few times here and there and Brock stuck around through Diamond & Pearl but yeah, otherwise Ash just picked up new traveling companions in every region he visited from Hoenn onwards

To be honest, Brock stuck around a bit too long in my opinion (his gimmick got old fast)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 25, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brock and Misty traveled with Ash through all of Johto(Pokemon generation 2). Misty went home and was replaced with May in Hoenn. May stayed in Hoenn and was replaced with Dawn in Sinnoh. In each of those cases the new female companion was the default female player character model from the respective game the region was in. Brock left the series at this point.

Then in Unova, Kalos, and Alola he had a new male and female companion in each.

For the final series, Journeys, he has just one companion, Goh, who was androgynous and represented the Pokemon Go series. Goh's goal was to catch every Pokemon and they basically supported each other on their journeys.

In all these series he would occasionally run into his old companions for a few adventures.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

They came back a few times here and there and Brock stuck around through Diamond & Pearl but yeah, otherwise Ash just picked up new traveling companions in every region he visited from Hoenn onwards

To be honest, Brock stuck around a bit too long in my opinion (his gimmick got old fast)

Like a lot of characters in fiction who has "likes to flirt with boys/girls" or "wants a boy/girlfriend" as a major character trait the correct move they almost never do is to give the character a permanent significant other but they don't because "The Status Quo Is God" is a curse on most long running media

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well Brock is fifteen years old and is constantly hitting on adults who have less than zero interest in him. And he has less than zero interest in girls his own age.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well Brock is fifteen years old and is constantly hitting on adults who have less than zero interest in him. And he has less than zero interest in girls his own age.

He also took a season off to stay with a sexy MILF professor while Ash and co. explored the Orange Islands, and when he joins back up with them he's clearly undergone some sort of trauma and repeatedly refuses to talk about it, it's played for comedy, but the implication is that something dark as poo poo went on and it hosed up Brock up super hard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure she just turned out to be a lesbian.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Its too bad Pokemon never produced anything for fans who aged up with the series. I've been watching Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake and its incredible how they can tell more mature stories in the same setting as the previous all ages show. Maybe the Pokemon world can't live up to that kind of scrutiny, but the type of pokemon world from the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga I remember reading as a kid kind of felt like that, a bit of darker tinge to the atmosphere and a clear distinction that the tournaments Ash was competing in as a 10 year old were for novices, and it wasn't actually feasible for a kid to become champion.

Digimon is another series that tried to age up with its audience but kind of fumbled, producing a divisive sequel series I couldn't bother finishing and movie I feel conflicted about.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That actually sounds like a fairly sweet finale but I'm getting a hearty chuckle at the fact that after 25 years Ash's dad is still a deadbeat no one ever sees. Like after all this time of people making jokes about how Oak's his dad or how Mr. Mime is his new dad, to actually tease adults who haven't watched in years tuning in for the last episode with the possibility and then go "sorry, you juuuuussst missed him" is possibly the biggest troll in animation history. Mad props to the writers who pulled that off.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 26, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

Its too bad Pokemon never produced anything for fans who aged up with the series. I've been watching Adventure Time: Fionna and Cake and its incredible how they can tell more mature stories in the same setting as the previous all ages show. Maybe the Pokemon world can't live up to that kind of scrutiny, but the type of pokemon world from the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga I remember reading as a kid kind of felt like that, a bit of darker tinge to the atmosphere and a clear distinction that the tournaments Ash was competing in as a 10 year old were for novices, and it wasn't actually feasible for a kid to become champion.

Digimon is another series that tried to age up with its audience but kind of fumbled, producing a divisive sequel series I couldn't bother finishing and movie I feel conflicted about.

Pokemon has dabbled in more young adult-oriented side series from time to time like Pokemon Origins, Pokemon Generations, and Pokemon Evolution, and of course the Detective Pikachu movie, but they were always kind of shoved off to the side and not in the way Digimon planted it's flag in trying to directly appeal to its original audience who were in their 20s and 30s by then with Tri and boldly saying "This is Digimon now, you gotta deal with it." Pokemon by comparison has always been shaped exactly like itself.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Pokemon has dabbled in more young adult-oriented side series from time to time like Pokemon Origins, Pokemon Generations, and Pokemon Evolution, and of course the Detective Pikachu movie, but they were always kind of shoved off to the side and not in the way Digimon planted it's flag in trying to directly appeal to its original audience who were in their 20s and 30s by then with Tri and boldly saying "This is Digimon now, you gotta deal with it." Pokemon by comparison has always been shaped exactly like itself.

The main Pokemon manga Adventures also tends to lean a little darker at times as well

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pokemon Adventure has a really cool perspective to all the battles, it created a more elaborate plot where Lt. Surge, Koga, and Sabrina were working for Team Rocket, and there's a lot of life-threatening situations. When the Elite 4 showed up, they were ecoterrorists. It was cool and fun, and apparently kept on going with the Pokemon generations, but I'm not gonna read 60 volumes of pokemon.

Pikachu's Electric Boogaloo really varied in quality, a few of the issues are just from the show, there's a couple really dark things like Sabrina fighting a giant soul-eating Haunter and Ash having to pull out of the indigo league because his Charizard was about to loving kill Richie's Charizard. I think what stood out most to me is that it really played up the idea that Pokemon takes place in a weirdly high-tech world with gadgets and holograms.

I think Japan doesn't really age-segregate its media as much as the US does, it doesn't generally seem to feel the need to do "mature" editions of longrunning franchises. That being said, there was a thing for Medabots, which I sure liked as a kid when the show was brought over. Only one of the mainline Medabots games ever made it over here because translating RPGs is a pain and modern TV channels are garbage at co-marketing. Anyways, one of the more recent Medabots games had a lot of softcore, and that sure sounded weird. https://hardcoregamer.com/news/medabots-girls-mission-is-far-more-perverted-than-expected/190446/

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Xelkelvos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs

It was pretty good, though I wonder why they never showed the xenomorphs that Magneto could apparently summon

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Ccs posted:

A fundamental, unavoidable part of pet ownership is watching your pet age and die before you do. Ash will never experience that with Pikachu, and while perhaps enviable, it is extremely alienating.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Come And See posted:

A fundamental, unavoidable part of pet ownership is watching your pet age and die before you do. Ash will never experience that with Pikachu, and while perhaps enviable, it is extremely alienating.

They did have an absolutely heart wrenching episode with a homeless cat Pokemon that was raised by a dog Pokemon where the dog dies of old age. Ash does everything he can to try and make the dog better but there's nothing he or nurse Joy can do.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

They did have an absolutely heart wrenching episode with a homeless cat Pokemon that was raised by a dog Pokemon where the dog dies of old age. Ash does everything he can to try and make the dog better but there's nothing he or nurse Joy can do.

"Stoutland is one of a few Pokémon in the anime who perished in the present day and were never brought back to life. It is also the first to perish during the series itself rather than a movie, and the only one to die of old age."

Huh. I'll have to check these out.

I dropped off the show mid-Orange Islands but watched the end-of-series victory lap.
The passage of time felt very strange two decades later. Despite the piling on of accomplishments and acquaintances, Ash remains the same age and when he leaves home for another lengthy adventure his mom has no real reaction to it. It almost makes me question if in ep 1 was actually the first time Ash set off on his pokemon journey. Ash will always be 10, his mom will always be 29; they will never run out of time or opportunity. Ash has always left, is always leaving, will always be leaving Pallet Town.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The weird thing about Ash the 30 year old 10 year old is that I think the franchise dropped the "all starting pokemon trainers are 10 years old" thing early on. The newer pokemon stuff even has more of a "anyone can be a consumer pokemon trainer" theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Japan doesn't really age-segregate its media as much as the US does, it doesn't generally seem to feel the need to do "mature" editions of longrunning franchises. That being said, there was a thing for Medabots, which I sure liked as a kid when the show was brought over. Only one of the mainline Medabots games ever made it over here because translating RPGs is a pain and modern TV channels are garbage at co-marketing. Anyways, one of the more recent Medabots games had a lot of softcore, and that sure sounded weird. https://hardcoregamer.com/news/medabots-girls-mission-is-far-more-perverted-than-expected/190446/

Medabots was good. And especially weird for them to try to get sexual with it because the show's character designs are like potato people.

I remember that show mostly just for how iconic certain english voice acting was. And later learned a lot of heavieight animators worked on it. It wonder if it was a nice break for them because of how simple all the designs are.