Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

there was a poster in canpol, back when the information about freeland's grandfather came out (years back), who insisted that no one in the thread would have made a different choice, and that he was coerced into owning and running the formerly jewish printing press, and naturally had to print nazi propaganda

i don't remember who it was, but it was certainly something to watch

lol i remember that but i don't remember the names. thread got wild for a bit trying to suss out how culpable in the holocaust you are if you edit a pro-nazi newspaper

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm curious if the Legion is going to say anything.

the legion seems to be largely the children of ww2 vets at this point and in my experience it's largely people who are fine with people waving the flag of the genocidal nation that tried to kill their parents (and killed some of my relatives) in downtown ottawa because their politics of reaction happen to coincide. it's awesome.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You can start reading on this page if you want to relive great moments in CanPol history, including Helsing making predictions about Ukraine, and a poster who I'd rather not be confused for debating the finer points of wartime publishing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Oh my god how are you people still babbling on about this Freeland/Ukraine/Grandpa poo poo? In what actual way does this matter with respect to national politics?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lot of incredible posts

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

eXXon posted:

You can start reading on this page if you want to relive great moments in CanPol history, including Helsing making predictions about Ukraine, and a poster who I'd rather not be confused for debating the finer points of wartime publishing.

lol rust is always there when there are nazis to be defended

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it helped get us into a war against a country we share a border with

edit: re: why this is relevant to national politics

edit2: dammit I got syqed

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I'm glad former Ukrainian SS members have a safe place to heal from the trauma of their heroic wartime service. I'm adding a Slava to my next land acknowledgement

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/stephen_taylor/status/1706050083626598715

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

"Why don't the principles of the Roman Republic work anymore?"

Also that internal poll is now external. https://twitter.com/DaltonRHerriott/status/1706127195079622812?t=OlhAAtJwZ1FtAuznkSwupw&s=19

Lmao at PP trying to score points over this whole thing like he didn't clap right along

Trudeau tricked us into supporting a Nazi :qq:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm glad this happened. it's funny to me

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Karach posted:

I'd say the ad is part of a larger pattern of chud dogwhistling. Those darn entitled Natives, not wanting to get murdered, or, when they're murdered, to get justice for it. Justice is just too darn expensive (for them). We also can't afford to let our brave cops get doodoo and peepee on their boots looking for bodies ("health and safety").

Is this their regular colors or is this Ukrainian pandering?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

In posts to the blog dated 2011 and 2010, Hunka describes 1941 to 1943 as the happiest years of his life and compares the veterans of his unit, who were scattered across the world, to Jews.

So how can be antisemitic? Some of his best friends were (like) Jews

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Karach posted:

My inlaws have Ukrainian roots and I've definitely heard the line from that side of the family about their ancestors having "no choice" but to volunteer for the Nazis.

https://www.history.co.uk/article/lyudmila-pavlichenko-lady-death-historys-deadliest-female-sniper

quote:

Born in present-day Ukraine in 1916, Lyudmila Pavlichenko fought for the Red Army during WW2 and became the deadliest female sniper in history. Known as ‘Lady Death’, her name struck fear into the hearts of German soldiers. Her reputation on the frontline was warranted with 309 confirmed kills to her name, racked up in just a matter of months - a number placing her amongst the greatest snipers of all time.

Let's honor this Ukrainian WWII vet :ussr:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Oh my god how are you people still babbling on about this Freeland/Ukraine/Grandpa poo poo? In what actual way does this matter with respect to national politics?

SYQ

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

PhilippAchtel posted:

I had been wondering about this myself. They've been using the colour scheme pretty consistently through the campaign. It's not like there are are any points to be scored by invoking the Ukraine war, though - Canadians of all political stripes either tepidly support this bloodbath or have forgotten there's even a war going on.

A quick look through the wayback machine shows that they mostly used blue and white up until the current campaign.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Best Friends posted:

lmao, quality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eXXon posted:

oh, lmao. yeah that makes perfect sense now that i see who posted it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Best Friends posted:

like, our nation?

idk, the deputy prime minister's stated political influences might have some kind of bearing

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's Ukraine pandering

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol Rust. That decides it, SPR should be freed. Also lolling remembering the good old days of 2017 when the media was still allowed to point out Azov are Nazis without getting disappeared

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

DaysBefore posted:

SPR should be freed.

nah

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

like, our nation?

idk, the deputy prime minister's stated political influences might have some kind of bearing

Owned by 6 year old syq that someone already noticed and stealth edited recognition of... for shame.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don’t usually syq but Jesus Christ. it’s like a post from sept 10 2001 saying that the twin towers will always be safe.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

eXXon posted:

Helsing posted:

Russia is going to gobble up chunks of eastern Ukraine and then, once the war in the Donbass winds down, the IMF and EU are going to oversee the economic collapse of whats left of the country in order to recollect all the loans they've advanced to the dysfunctional government in Kiev.

well then!

lmfao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

Owned by 6 year old syq that someone already noticed and stealth edited recognition of... for shame.

what?

e: pretend i'm your boomer uncle and i have no idea what the gently caress any of this means

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Sep 25, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

what?

e: pretend i'm your boomer uncle and i have no idea what the gently caress any of this means

The post you replied to, by Best Friends, is copypasted from that old thread I linked (it's on the following page). pokeyman was also caught by this.

Though to be fair, that same sentiment was repeated basically every time Freeland's Nazi grandpa came up after that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, consider me rustled

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Sep 25, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

eXXon posted:

The post you replied to, by Best Friends, is copypasted from that old thread I linked (it's on the following page). pokeyman was also caught by this.

Though to be fair, that same sentiment was repeated basically every time Freeland's Nazi grandpa came up after that.

Wasn’t the official government response last year “it’s true but noticing it is Russian disinformation”?

I swear they put out a statement like that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Frosted Flake posted:

Wasn’t the official government response last year “it’s true but noticing it is Russian disinformation”?

yeah pretty much

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

we cannot risk emboldening the enemy by admitting our faults. the time for truth and reconciliation is later

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Basically. And it was true that the story got amplified by Russian-affiliated media to make Freeland look bad, but people went too far in calling it disinformation, or outright lies given that Freeland gave the academic who wrote about this stuff access to her grandfather's papers.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Basically. And it was true that the story got amplified by Russian-affiliated media to make Freeland look bad, but people went too far in calling it disinformation, or outright lies given that Freeland gave the academic who wrote about this stuff access to her grandfather's papers.

iirc he was her uncle too lol

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

we cannot risk emboldening the enemy by admitting our faults. the time for truth and reconciliation is later

well yeah it's in five days

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yellowcar posted:

iirc he was her uncle too lol

he married into the family, the Nazi grandpa was Himka's father-in-law

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

i thought that time was saturday?
e:f;b

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
i remember thinking the CanPol dogpile on Helsing for being exactly correct was insane, and i even kept a lot of those links for reference later, but i forgot he called the Ukraine War blow-for-blow a half-decade in advance. goddamn

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah reading through it is wild, I think there are a few things that are off but it's a pretty prescient read of Eastern European politics at the time.

i hope helsing is okay and wish he'd come back and post

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Sep 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frame it

Helsing posted:

If someone tells me their biggest political influence was a literal Nazi collaborator who directly participated in the holocaust then that changes how I look at them. I'm sorry if actual moral outrage is somehow passe in a thread that mostly consists of people saying we should execute all rurals and behead anyone in a Ford F-150. Honestly, if this were a Conservative politician I bet the thread would be losing its collective poo poo but that's just my speculation.

I also thought it was a pretty interesting example of how Canada's insipid Hall Mark card approach to history and heritage gets manipulated by politicians. It's sort of like there's a prefabricated narrative template that anyone running for office can use where you just slot in your specific heritage and talk in these broad, cliched terms about how influential it was on you. And in some cases that feel-good prefabricated narrative about happy immigrants coming to the glorious freedom loving land of Canada is actually concealing really toxic and horrific stuff like a vicious Eastern European nationalism that sees collaboration with Nazism as an acceptable price to pay for advancing Ukrainian "culture" and "independence".

It doesn't help that Freeland is now the government's point person on assisting a Ukrainian rump-state government that is rehabilitating war criminal and anti-semite Stepan Bandera, using fascist era Ukrainian nationalist slogans, and which has brought fascist political parties into parliamentary positions and which relies on Neo Nazis to do a lot of its fighting. I don't think Freeland is responsible for our Ukraine policy given that it started with Harper and was mostly a matter of following Americas lead, but I do question whether her own stated commitment to Ukrainian independence, which by her own admission was inspired by a man willing to further the holocaust if it meant advancing the Ukrainian nationalist cause, might colour her judgement when she is determining Canada's relationship with the Ukrainian government.

Anyway, apparently this line of discussion is less compelling than Anne of Greeen Gables chat so you're right, who cares about such trivial issues.