Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Can we please have the discussion move to the D&D thread since it really doesn't fit the vibes of the gbs thread?

bad snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Majorian posted:

Ukraine absolutely devolved into a kleptostate for the next couple of decades; it's the only former Soviet/Warsaw Pact country whose GDP has not recovered since 1991 (yes, even pre-invasion). The reason why Russia is the one that became the most aggressively geopolitically revisionist is pretty simple: it had most of the post-Soviet war machine, and other countries didn't.

So what? Which outside force decided to impart the idea on Russia that they should act like they still ran the USSR? 'It had the capability to act like a fading Great Power which is why it did' doesn't exactly bolster the position that if it weren't for the vile machinations of the West the Russia would not be in the state it was in today. If you are arguing that Russia is inherently revanchist and given any ability they will act on it then I am curious as to what possible steps you think would even be possible to bring such a delusional supremacist state into a Western co-operative.

Edit:

Majorian posted:

No country is the way it is just because "that's the way they are."

This is literally what you are saying though with regards to Russia.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Majorian posted:

The problem with your argument is that Russia never "chose" to squander its resources on kleptocrats. There was never any vote to implement shock therapy and sell off government-owned enterprises to oligarchs; that was a necessary precondition for them to receive IMF loans. The government that oversaw this massive upward redistribution of wealth was supported to the hilt by the U.S. and its allies, so it's not like there was ever any chance for those policies to change until it all went to poo poo in 1998.

If we're talking narrowly about whether or not Russia squandered its resources by invading Ukraine in 2022, sure, I absolutely agree. But your initial post was in response to someone discussing the effects of shock therapy, and you seemed to be saying that Russia's economic woes over the past 30 years were caused by "deliberately" (your word) choosing to give their money to oligarchs and invade other countries. I'm pointing out that things are way more complicated than that, and explaining why.

They squandered their resources starting around 2014, or possibly after Putin got "reelected" in 2012! Not the 90s! I've said it a million times, I'm talking about the time after their economy got sorted out, like ten years later. You again go back to the 90s. Do you see why I say you're obsessed? Russia in the 90s had limited room for decisions (still deciding to use very limited resources on loving with Georgia, Moldova and Chechnya), good loving thing that was 30 years ago and far less irrelevant to the invasion that happened last year than tons of other things!

Lots of countries had a poo poo time in the 90s, Russia uniquely got out of it in a really good position, then decided to squander it on war and assassinations and palaces for kleptocrats. Like I don't know if you have issues with reading comprehension or what, but I feel like I've been super clear.

quote:

If we're talking narrowly about whether or not Russia squandered its resources by invading Ukraine in 2022, sure, I absolutely agree.
YES, we are. This is the thread about the Ukraine war. We discuss things related to the invasion of Ukraine, not IMF policies of the 1990s.

I'm talking about the initial invasion as well, and the various Skripal adventures and every other lovely thing they've done since 2012ish. Decisions, deliberate decisions, which squandered economic potential, that were made to look big and strong and to project power and other imperial crap. Exactly what I said, from the start. Which you, just a short time ago, said they didn't make at all.

Also, I don't even think deliberately is my word, so I'm wondering if you're actually arguing with someone else.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
If you'll watch respected documentary film wag the dog I think you'll find that Boris Johnson must have ordered Russia to start the Ukraine war to distract from having COVID parties.

Anyone who disagrees is an uncultured moron.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

“We had a huge military, so we absolutely had to brutally subjugate several of our neighbors, our hands were tied.” Is pretty loving wild.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

HKR posted:

Can we please have the discussion move to the D&D thread since it really doesn't fit the vibes of the gbs thread?

bad snipe

It's the general bullshit thread, it shouldn't have a strict mandate like that :justpost:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Majorian posted:

The problem with your argument is that Russia never "chose" to squander its resources on kleptocrats. There was never any vote to implement shock therapy and sell off government-owned enterprises to oligarchs; that was a necessary precondition for them to receive IMF loans. The government that oversaw this massive upward redistribution of wealth was supported to the hilt by the U.S. and its allies, so it's not like there was ever any chance for those policies to change until it all went to poo poo in 1998.

you keep trying to disguise it but slipping into this post where it all comes back to the usual tankie "nobody but the united states has agency"

you're literally going "oh man literally nobody in russia had any agency whatsoever" and that literally nothing that russia or russians did was at all relevant. like not even "hmm why does this country need a huge amount of economic rescue" or "hmm why is it that there are kleptocrats everywhere" or even "could the kleptocrats not have stolen the money" or "could the russians have tried to avoid letting the kleptocrats steal all the money"

in your view of the world there is literally nothing else that played a role other than the only mover in the world, the united states, making decisions.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Changing the subject: did you know that Russia is a piece of poo poo?

quote:

War crimes dossier to accuse Russia of deliberately causing starvation in Ukraine

Human rights lawyers are working with Ukraine’s public prosecutor to prepare dossier to submit to the international criminal court

Human rights lawyers working with Ukraine’s public prosecutor are preparing a war crimes dossier to submit to the international criminal court (ICC) accusing Russia of deliberately causing starvation during the 18-month-long conflict.

The aim is to document instances where the Russian invaders used hunger as a weapon of war, providing evidence for the ICC to launch the first prosecution of its kind that could indict the Russian president, Vladimir Putin.

Yousuf Syed Khan, a senior lawyer with law firm Global Rights Compliance, said “the weaponisation of food has taken place in three phases,” starting with the initial invasion where Ukrainian cities were besieged and food supplies cut.

Among the incidents documented was when 20 civilians were killed in Chernihiv in the early morning of 16 March 2022, when Russian fragmentation bombs exploded outside a supermarket in the city where Ukrainians were queueing for bread and food.

Investigators are also focusing on the siege of Mariupol, Khan added. Food supplies were cut to the city and humanitarian relief corridors blocked or bombed, making it very difficult or impossible for desperate, starving civilians to escape.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/24/war-crimes-dossier-to-accuse-russia-of-deliberately-causing-starvation-in-ukraine

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

HKR posted:

bad snipe
Not every day is a horse cum and poo poo stairs kinda day.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

I mean, there was a reason why the U.S. and its allies were so supportive of the Yeltsin government.

Several reasons, including the hardline nationalists and militarists champing at the bit for Cold War 2 that became the face of his opposition. Even from the perspective that Yeltsin was poo poo it's not surprising western powers backed him over "also poo poo but explicitly anti-Western."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I agree, let's have Majoran et. all take it to the DnD thread instead and punish their mods if you want to continue this conversation. Wishing you all safe travels!

Bring in the horse cum

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 25, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh surely these are just failed agricultural policies and not deliberate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Edit: removed

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Majorian posted:

I don't really buy into essentialist arguments about countries or peoples. No country is the way it is just because "that's the way they are." There was an opportunity in the 90s to further integrate Russia into the European community, and regrettably, that opportunity was squandered.

Im not saying that. It is not essentialist argument to see how Russia has acted through most of its history. Of course many other empires did similar things, but most of those have more or less renounced that kind of ideology and politics. In many ways Russia has not and continues to behave like it always has.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
It seems to me that some of y'all are reading this as IMF = benevolent; Putin = bad

Yes, Putin = bad but also IMF = bad and the whole thing goes hand in hand.

I don't know that Putin and his cronies could have robbed the country so thoroughly without the IMF. It's a particularly good vessel for providing the efficient means of kleptocracy.

Here's a small primer from a book about debt that I greatly enjoyed reading:

Debt: The First 5000 Years posted:

...International Monetary Fund basically acted as the world's debt enforcers-"You might say, the high-finance equivalent of the guys who come to break your legs." I launched into historical background, explaining how, during the '7os oil crisis, OPEC coun tries ended up pouring so much of their newfound riches into Western banks that the banks couldn't figure out where to invest the money; how Citibank and Chase therefore began sending agents around the world trying to convince Third World dictators and politicians to take out loans (at the time, this was called "go-go banking"); how they started out at extremely low rates of interest that almost immediately skyrocketed to 20 percent or so due to tight U.S. money policies in the early '8os; how, during the '8os and '9os, this led to the Third World debt crisis; how the IMF then stepped in to insist that, in order to obtain refinancing, poor countries would be obliged to abandon price supports on basic foodstuffs, or even policies of keeping strategic food reserves, and abandon free health care and free education; how all of this had led to the collapse of all the most basic supports for some of the poorest and most vulnerable people on earth. I spoke of poverty, of the looting of public resources, the collapse of societies, endemic violence, malnutrition, hopelessness, and broken lives...

It was at this point that I realized this was going to be a very different sort of conversation than I had originally anticipated. Where to start? I could have begun by explaining how these loans had originally been taken out by unelected dictators who placed most of it directly in their Swiss bank accounts, and ask her to contemplate the justice of insisting that the lenders be repaid, not by the dictator, or even by his cronies, but by literally taking food from the mouths of hungry children. Or to think about how many of these poor countries had actually already paid back what they'd borrowed three or four times now, but that through the miracle of compound interest, it still hadn't made a significant dent in the principal. I could also observe that there was a difference between refinancing loans, and demanding that in order to obtain refinancing, countries have to follow some or thodox free-market economic policy designed in Washington or Zurich that their citizens had never agreed to and never would, and that it was a bit dishonest to insist that countries adopt democratic constitutions and then also insist that, whoever gets elected, they have no control over their country's policies anyway. Or that the economic policies imposed by the IMF didn't even work.

Edit: ehhh I came in too late, no need to respond to me. Slava Ukraini & Putin is a piece of poo poo.

lushka16 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 25, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Russia causing starvation in Ukraine? I don't think anything like that would ever happen.

And even if it hypothetically did, have you considered how the IMF forced Russia to do it?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: \/\/\/that's fair. I appreciate your forbearance in letting me make my case here. I didn't intend for this discussion to go on as long as it did, and I'll leave it there as far as this thread is concerned. \/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 25, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

I agree, let's have Majoran et. all take it to the DnD thread instead and punish their mods if you want to continue this conversation. Wishing you all safe travels!

Toxic Mental posted:

Bring in the horse cum

Toxic Mental posted:

Bring in the horse cum

Toxic Mental posted:

Bring in the horse cum

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's to the beat of "pump up the volume" of course

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Toxic Mental posted:

That's to the beat of "pump up the volume" of course

I read it more like a ska band

Bringitin, Bringitin, Bringitin
Let's begin
gently caress Putin

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

If I'm not mistaken, this is Mr. Russia.

He never "chose" to squander his resources on kleptocrats.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

That's the guy they send to your house if you're trans

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The hague tryna get me for these glutes

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

In case anyone is wondering what this article is about : Yeltsin was hiring foreign campaign advisors for the 96 election and had reached out to the Clinton administration to recommend some qualified Americans ones. He received some references and hired some of them. According to Russian sources they played a pretty minor role in the campaign and apparently never even met with Yeltsin. You can find the full article online very easily. Tankies never post the article together with the the cover though, for obvious reasons.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Toxic Mental posted:

That's the guy they send to your house if you're trans

I'm glad at least some countries have dedicated staff devoted to providing therapy, support and information about how to access HRT.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

poor waif posted:

I'm glad at least some countries have dedicated staff devoted to providing therapy, support and information about how to access HRT.

it's a little weird that he tows it there on a big metal sled he's chained himself to. but i can't argue with results

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Tigey posted:

Russia causing starvation in Ukraine? I don't think anything like that would ever happen.

And even if it hypothetically did, have you considered how the IMF forced Russia to do it?

Ukraine has been using Western munitions to kill sparrows in the Donbass in preparation for their great leap forward.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

pro starcraft loser posted:

I read it more like a ska band

Bringitin, Bringitin, Bringitin
Let's begin
gently caress Putin

Prig it up Prig it up Prig it uuuuuup

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
Putin IMF is a real piece of poo poo.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

poor waif posted:

Wait which ones in particular

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's a decent discussion, albeit academic, divining the origins of Russia's black heart and Western complicity for poo poo decisions. It's just too bad it all led to mass murder and genocide.

Seems it might be best to vigorously repel them from Ukraine's borders now, and quickly, and give better thought afterwards on how to rehabilitate an insane murderously criminal state.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

poo poo. Senate Dems were seeking $25 billion.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1706424227320979904?s=20

Set
Oct 30, 2005
As a serious question here, somewhat related to the earlier topic that seems to be over now, I do wonder how much it even matters to discuss the economics or politics of why Russia decided to do a thing. No matter if it is an invasion of a neighbouring state or nerve gassing a dissident abroad really. As the Russian state's big moves are so clearly decided by Putin himself (and to a certain extent the smaller mob bosses he allows to rule underneath him, that are the de facto government there). Russia is not acting as a "rational political actor", but according to the will and whims of a paranoid old man who is used to bullying not only individuals but entire states. We can attempt to backtrack the reasons for why they decide to do something, but in the end it is just an attempt to add reason that just isn't there to the madness now unfolding before us.

Putin wanted to be the tzar, how he got there isn't really relevant. Nobody elses opinions matter, especially not other Russians, or we wouldn't be discussing this here and now.

Set fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 26, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Shinjobi posted:

Boy oh boy this thread sucks today

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

gently caress the GOP

Actual traitors

The House lunatics will never go for this though, not unless they absolve Trump of all charges forever

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

we won't even get their because the chuds will revolt and shoot it down.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bad_fmr posted:

Im not saying that. It is not essentialist argument to see how Russia has acted through most of its history. Of course many other empires did similar things, but most of those have more or less renounced that kind of ideology and politics. In many ways Russia has not and continues to behave like it always has.

If Russia is just inherently warlike, expansionary, and genocidal, then what are we supposed to do about it? How is the international order supposed to deal with this rabid dog of a country?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

TulliusCicero posted:

gently caress the GOP

Actual traitors

The House lunatics will never go for this though, not unless they absolve Trump of all charges forever

I always agree with saying gently caress the GOP, this is also an important point.

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1706427652314177735?t=r4UzSeROE0XtkuDvhzslRg&s=19

Only temporarily until Nov when the next major Ukraine support bill is supposed to be presented.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Off topic, we might have different opinions on this war etc but I thought you did a decent job IKing and props for keeping the nazi poo poo in check. A pity you aren't the thread IK any more.

On topic, some of the stuff you said is good. This thread does get a bit tunnel vision at times (sorry thread) on how the Russian government is poo poo and the reasons for the invasion (IMO) were just bull poo poo smoke screens i.e. denazification etc

Tai fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Only temporarily until Nov when the next major Ukraine support bill is supposed to be presented.

It doesn't matter. The bipartisan consensus around funding Ukraine is over. This will be cited as precedent to avoid future aid.