Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tree Reformat posted:

I'll believe it when I see the actual proposed contract, not before.

Completely fair to think that, but on the other hand, the WGA has also been pretty openly blistering towards the studios in all of this, and already publicly denounced prior offers from them. If this was a total turd, they’d probably be saying as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I had a feeling this strike would end before October - the networks aren’t going to punt on mid-season premiers like they did the fall lineup.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Argyle posted:

I can’t even begin to process the relief I’m feeling. Very eager to see the details, but it’s a very good sign that they’re willing to let us work during the ratification process.

We did it. So proud of our negotiating committee for holding the line and dealing with endless AMPTP nonsense.

Everyone I know is thrilled, except for my dog who will be quite furious that I have to leave the house regularly again.

Sorry for the ignorance, but were you staffed on a show already? Most of my friends are in post, many were locking episodes when the strike began, so they are chomping at the bit to get back in their editing rooms.

My kids are in SAG, so we are eager to see the AI concessions for WGA. They've been VFX scanned a handful of times for various projects, it makes me sick to think we may have inadvertently sold their likeness for peanuts.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

I had a feeling this strike would end before October - the networks aren’t going to punt on mid-season premiers like they did the fall lineup.

They still can't really do jack poo poo until they also settle matters with the actors, who the studios still haven't even spoken to yet.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

If they really did concede then I guess we can expect to see a SAG deal soon.

SAG’s contract is waaay more complicated than the WGA’s. But we were aligned on the issues of streaming residuals and regulating AI, so hopefully our deal will help accelerate theirs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Great news, and laughing that some personalities burned their reputations saying that they would do shows in spite of the strike literally days before the end came anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Argyle posted:

SAG’s contract is waaay more complicated than the WGA’s. But we were aligned on the issues of streaming residuals and regulating AI, so hopefully our deal will help accelerate theirs.
Conventional wisdom is that a SAG deal should be hot on the heels of this one, since they get to point to everything the WGA is getting and go "see, that, give us that" and also the AMPTP is clearly in a concessions-giving mood and there's no point bringing back the writers if you still can't loving shoot anything.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Posting pictures like this seems like a positive sign

https://x.com/EricHaywood/status/1706142308109029620?s=20

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

Sorry for the ignorance, but were you staffed on a show already? Most of my friends are in post, many were locking episodes when the strike began, so they are chomping at the bit to get back in their editing rooms.

My kids are in SAG, so we are eager to see the AI concessions for WGA. They've been VFX scanned a handful of times for various projects, it makes me sick to think we may have inadvertently sold their likeness for peanuts.

I was on staff when the strike started — we were actually supposed to start a new season the same week that strike was called.

Yeah I’m eager to see the AI stuff too. This is probably the first major labor negotiation that involved the use of AI as a bargaining point, so it could end up being a framework for all kinds of future AI regulation.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Argyle posted:

I was on staff when the strike started — we were actually supposed to start a new season the same week that strike was called.

Yeah I’m eager to see the AI stuff too. This is probably the first major labor negotiation that involved the use of AI as a bargaining point, so it could end up being a framework for all kinds of future AI regulation.

Might you be on a show involving lots of little kids? If so, I had a kid in one of the classrooms for the past few years.

I sure hope you guys got everything you asked for!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Not sure how much this had to do with the deal, but an interesting coincidence nonetheless:thunk:

https://twitter.com/Sej_Singh/status/1706137309920252169?s=20

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

VorpalBunny posted:

Might you be on a show involving lots of little kids? If so, I had a kid in one of the classrooms for the past few years.

I sure hope you guys got everything you asked for!

Nope! But I hope it’s been a fun experience for the little one!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Landfill posted:

Not sure how much this had to do with the deal, but an interesting coincidence nonetheless:thunk:

https://twitter.com/Sej_Singh/status/1706137309920252169?s=20

It’s absolutely not a coincidence that the studios agreed to talk again almost immediately after news came out that this bill passed and was on Newsom’s desk.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It amazes me how many under paid and over worked people have a hate boner for unions.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Stegosnaurlax posted:

It amazes me how many under paid and over worked people have a hate boner for unions.

50 years of messaging. It’s pretty wild.

Did Newsom sign the UI bill yet? I’m curious if he called the studio heads and was like “look, this can go one of two ways…”

fart blood fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 25, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Senor Tron posted:

Great news, and laughing that some personalities burned their reputations saying that they would do shows in spite of the strike literally days before the end came anyway.

I wonder if that actually played a part. A standard strike resistantance tactic is to wait for the first people to break, the fact that happened and everyone willing to cross the line got shut down completely by peers and populace probably scared the poo poo out of the execs.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

This is great news! I've been following the strike since it first started in May and it's nice to see it finally end for the Writers (hopefully) after all the slimy tactics from the CEOs.

Maybe next time don't try and kill some trees, wish your workers were homeless and spend more money then what you could of saved making a good deal day 1.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Pixeltendo posted:

Maybe next time don't try and kill some trees,

Holy poo poo I almost forgot about that. What a loving wild ride this has been.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Holy poo poo I almost forgot about that. What a loving wild ride this has been.

I still remember people saying - quite reasonably! - "Hey they don't get to make decisions like that, it has to go through the City Council, so this was probably just incredibly bad timing" and then nope it turns out the studio was just straight up doing some Captain Planet Cartoon Villain bullshit.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Happy for the writers, optimistic for the actors.

Spoilered for negativity amidst happy news. Don’t read it
Pessimistic about my own union fighting for pay increases and safety/quality of life improvements. Our membership loves undermining our own collective power. Work will start back up and it’ll be the same as before, only more rushed. I will be happy to get paid but don’t share the desire to unquestioningly work myself to death that so many of my brothers and sisters have.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Snowy posted:

Happy for the writers, optimistic for the actors.

Spoilered for negativity amidst happy news. Don’t read it
Pessimistic about my own union fighting for pay increases and safety/quality of life improvements. Our membership loves undermining our own collective power. Work will start back up and it’ll be the same as before, only more rushed. I will be happy to get paid but don’t share the desire to unquestioningly work myself to death that so many of my brothers and sisters have.

Same, and.. well, I was part of a strike action a couple years ago, and.. I am hesitant to even publicly put anywhere what I think actually happened. Even on this dead gay forum. But I don't think the striking workers were.. given the right kind of advice and recommendations from the union leadership outside the company. Contract wasn't any better than it was initially, and the initial stuff was really not great for the job we were doing. Read between the lines for what I think happened.

Really glad to see the WGA pulling this off, and I absolutely believe in and support unions regardless of my personal experience with a local.

Been trying to push my CG VFX friend who's worked in the industry with suggestions of unionizing stuff, and his response (and I think by and large the CG VFX community's) is 'Yeah they'll just fire us all and outsource overseas'. Which is unfortunately probably what would actually happen, regardless of end product quality hits that would result.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 25, 2023

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

As someone who's only glancingly been a part of union organizing: Well loving done! Negotiating something like this is much more difficult than it looks, and it already looks difficult as all hell.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Conventional wisdom is that a SAG deal should be hot on the heels of this one, since they get to point to everything the WGA is getting and go "see, that, give us that" and also the AMPTP is clearly in a concessions-giving mood and there's no point bringing back the writers if you still can't loving shoot anything.

Also the end of the fiscal quarter is approaching (Oct 1? Close to that) so they may want to just finally get going rather than sacrifice the whole rest of the year.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

fart blood posted:

50 years of messaging. It’s pretty wild.

Did Newsom sign the UI bill yet? I’m curious if he called the studio heads and was like “look, this can go one of two ways…”

According to the CA website, it was presented to him late Thursday and he has 1 or 2 weeks to do something with it IIRC. The benefits would take effect 1/1/2024.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wouldn't be surprised if he vetos it on behalf of his donors "since it isn't needed anymore"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Some dark lols on Stephen Amell's part as (one of) the strikes (possibly) comes to an end: Starz just cancelled Heels today so fukkin :rip: to Amell's whole post-strike career.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ehh, someone can disagree with going on strike, so long as they respect the decision of the union and down tools when a strike is called. It's only scabbing that should have repercussions.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Ehh, someone can disagree with going on strike, so long as they respect the decision of the union and down tools when a strike is called. It's only scabbing that should have repercussions.

He broke ranks to promote work during the strike.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ah well then, gently caress that scab.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

nine-gear crow posted:

Some dark lols on Stephen Amell's part as (one of) the strikes (possibly) comes to an end: Starz just cancelled Heels today so fukkin :rip: to Amell's whole post-strike career.

He'll be on Rosenbaum's podcast again trying to explain himself, maybe drop a tear or two

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He also did a really bad job of pretending that he supported the strike after he got called out for scabbing

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also did a really bad job of pretending that he supported the strike after he got called out for scabbing

Dude looked like somebody drug him out there onto the line by the ear in pictures.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
He's been a bit of a prick since he started development on the wrassling show. Maybe he'll take a load off for a while and rethink his poo poo

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/26/23890663/sag-aftra-strike-approval-video-game-performers

SAG-AFTRA authorized video game performers to strike if their negotiations fall through.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
SAG and studios meeting any day now, according to Deadline. It's over.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

fart blood posted:

SAG and studios meeting any day now, according to Deadline. It's over.

"any day now", "according to Deadline". I mean, I agree it will probably be over soon-ish, but Deadline saying that is hardly indicative of anything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Studios will be able to train their machine learning models on writers’ work. There might be more nuance in the details, but it looks like WGA at least partially buckled on their demand.

https://www.wsj.com/business/media/hollywood-studios-can-train-ai-models-on-writers-work-under-tentative-deal-aedae589

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yikes, give an inch and they'll take a light-year. Training your replacement with every script seems like it should be a deal breaker?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm wondering if they buckled on that because the studios were probably going to do it anyway and just lie about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Seems like a very big point to give way on.