Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

paraquat posted:

That does look insanely good!
The only recipe clowe to this that I can find is one with ngella seeds instead of black sesame seeds.
Is it the same recipe that you used, with a white misodressing? https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...otam-ottolenghi
Will be giving it a go anyway, it looks and sounds very tasty
That's the one! I didn't use nigella because I don't have any and I woulda had to have grown "love-in-a-mist" last year to harvest some seedpods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Chicken Parm

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
It was so hot outside today, I just put this on the patio and two hours later voila. Filet with some bluecheese crumbles, ribeye and squash, peppers and mushrooms on the griddle.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Recently moved into our new house and got my grill out of storage where it has been sadly hibernating. Love doing every part of dinner on the grill and will be getting as many grill meals in as I can for the rest of the summer.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Made lamb kofta meatballs tonight loosely based on this David Lebovitz recipe that has been a go-to of mine for a while.

Instead of grilling the meat on skewers I just made meatballs and cooked them in mini-muffin trays in the oven. The lamb meat is fatty enough you don’t even need to grease the pans.

They’re good with any kind of flatbread (I’ve done this recipe, also from Lebovitz with them before, but this time I just used some store bought naan I had left over).

The recipe uses bulgur which I find works really well as a flavourful thickener. I’ve done it with quinoa as well and it’s a great option if you want to make it gluten-free (though obviously you’d serve it with something other than flatbread in that case.)

I usually make my own spice mix for something like this (never found a shop around here that sells ras el-hanout anyway) and am extremely imprecise with what I put in. Tonight I toasted some black cumin, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, cloves, and a star anise and ground that with cinnamon and allspice. I think I threw a small dried pepper in too.

I’ve done these lamb meatballs as a party hors d’oeuvre appetizer before and they were a hit — made them half the size of these ones, and put each one on a toothpick with a grape tomato and a fresh basil leaf, with a yogurt dipping sauce.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

First time making a salmon tikka. Tastes great

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Crosspost from mushroom thread: waxy summer potatoes I got in Sweden, pancetta, wild mushrooms (chanterelle, cep, gypsy mushroom, saffron milk cap). Spanish-style eggs (olive oil, runny yolk, crispy).

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I saw this Jaques Pepin video in another thread, and wanted to give it a go. It's stupid hot outside so I wanted to make a summery dinner.

James Beard onion sandwich, and Jacques' radish sandwich.

(I also made some cantaloupe with honey and mint, and sliced tomatoes)

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made a vegan Mapo Tofu.

Having never had an 'authentic' one before, it's difficult to know how well I did. The flavours were really nice and the Szechuan pepper did its job wonderfully. I suppose the only gripe was that my partner wasn't a fan of the texture of the mushrooms I used in place of the pork mince. I'd definitely make it again.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That look freaking great!

We do vegan mapo tofu at least once a month, and it’s pretty much the perfect use case for Impossible or Beyond.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I have 2 packs of instant mapo sauces and I'm tempted to make taco meat with them and eat it as tacos.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

That look freaking great!

We do vegan mapo tofu at least once a month, and it’s pretty much the perfect use case for Impossible or Beyond.

I tried using a meat substitute one time, but found the 'meat' would absorb the juices and begin to swell. It was still nice, but also had an odd texture.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The pork in Mapo Tofu is just there for texture anyway. It's not a key ingredient.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made some (English) BBQ for my family.

1.3kg tomahawk steak
Bacon cheese burgs * 7
Vegan burgs * 4
Grilled chicken * 1
Veg skewers * 6
Green salad w/ balsamic dressing
Orzo pesto salad with pinenuts and fresh basil
Watermelon
Prawns w/chilli garlic butter * 1kg
Homemade hummus, guac, corn tortilla chips
Homemade vegan garlic mayo, sweet chilli, chimmichurri
Sw. Chilli Crisps
Baby spuds with parsley butter
Oh and slaw

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Tried to make eggplant rollatini, but I realized I didn’t have any tomato sauce. So I make it without the sauce and served it like bruschetta over a toasted baguette. I actually really liked it this way.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Raikiri posted:

Made some (English) BBQ for my family.

Good lord how big is your family? Can I join it? That looks delicious

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Good lord how big is your family? Can I join it? That looks delicious

There were just the 8 of us this time, plenty of leftovers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Inceltown posted:

The pork in Mapo Tofu is just there for texture anyway. It's not a key ingredient.
Lies. You can make it without if you want but it will certainly taste different.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Inceltown posted:

I thought it was mostly for flavor or at least I think that's what Chinese cooking demystified claimed

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Most mapo recipes have like a 1:4 and sometimes even 1:2 ratio of meat to tofu so it's a substantial ingredient in the first place. And we're talking about meat that's seared then simmered obviously it's contributing a lot of flavors. I take this seriously because dishes with some but not much meat are great but restaurants love removing the meat entirely so they can serve it as a vegetarian dish, and when I see my work cafeteria serving vegan french onion soup I get sad.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The hip, modern Chinese place I worked at in Austin ran an absolutely killer mapo tofu, but ended up taking it off the menu because nobody ever ordered it.

It wasn’t vegetarian (obviously) and Texas meat eaters couldn’t wrap their heads around why THEY should order a tofu dish, since tofu is supposed to be just a lovely meat replacement for vegetarians.

I still make at home with the recipe I got there and it’s so, so good.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
gaoneras de new york

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A sampling of recent dishes you may have seen in other threads:

Okra

Dal with rotis

Carrots and beets

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I made pizzas last night on the smoker. I tried out a wholemeal dough for the first time.

I was a little worried when the dough was stickier then usual, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I guess I'm making them this way from now on.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Fall Dog posted:

I made pizzas last night on the smoker. I tried out a wholemeal dough for the first time.

I was a little worried when the dough was stickier then usual, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I guess I'm making them this way from now on.

Did you have to crank the smoker’s heat to the max?

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

adeadcrab posted:

Did you have to crank the smoker’s heat to the max?

I've found for the size of my smoker, around 470°F is about the sweet spot. I've tried a few times at the max temp (500°F) but was finding that the base of the crust was getting too crispy before the toppings had properly cooked. I've been tempted to get a pizza oven insert that attaches to the fire pot of the smoker based on how often I'm making pizza, but they're not widely available here

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I've been refining my tom kha gai method and tonight was my best yet

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Sausage & Peppers tonight with some rigatoni.

When I was growing up my mom would just serve it on big rolls as a sandwich. My wife prefers it over pasta. I guess both are good, but drat it’s hard to beat a sausage and pepper sandwich.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Won some smoked ham bits in a meat raffle and got a couple delicata squash in this weeks CSA so it was soup time.

My lighting sucks and soup is hard to photograph but thats roast golden beets, yogurt, and the reserved browned ham pieces in the center.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Meat raffle was my nickname in college

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's a thing in the midwest apparently. I got a summer sausage, some snack sticks, a 3lb bone in ham roast, and those smoked ham bits. They gave out tickets if you bought a drink at a brewery and read off a winning number every 20 minutes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TontoCorazon posted:

Meat raffle was my nickname in college

Sweepsteaks

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Slaughtery

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scraffle?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hitting the Jerkypot

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 20, 2023

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Meat raffles are common in Australian pubs, more often in country pubs, and maybe less common than they used to be.

I just checked the bougie craft beer pub beneath my office and even they have a meat raffle

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

My focus isn't the greatest in this shot.

The chicken is Cantonese Chicken Thighs from Made With Lau: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyylbrHLxE&t=52s

The green beans are simply oven-roasted, with garlic added at the end after the oven heat is turned off.

The noodles are Woks of Life Scallion Oil Noodles: https://thewoksoflife.com/soy-scallion-noodles-cong-ban-mian/

The chicken was very good, however it was a wee bit cakey. The recipe called for a very thin coating of corn starch, but I definitely went overboard to try to get complete coverage. Also, the recipe had you create a crispy chicken coating, and then steam it with wine, garlic, and red onions. I think for my family's western texture preferences, the next time I make this, we'll pull the chicken while still very crispy.

The noodles were an adventure. We were not able to find white Chinese wheat noodles, and instead found a Korean substitute of fresh wheat noodles covered in corn starch (Jjajangmyeonyong). The first batch of noodles that we tried involved simply tossing the coil of noodles into the boiling water pot, and after a while, it became clear that the whole thing was clumped together. I don't know if the noodle package had been squished in handling, but the first batch was unsalvageable. The second batch we did we pre-separated the noodles in the coil before tossing them in the boiling water. These held up a lot better, and after a cold water rinse, were perfect to go into the scallion oil and sauce mixture (we sauced the whole recipe rather than having each diner have plain noodles topped with sauce to mix in themselves).

All in all, great flavors, but we'll want to practice some more.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 21, 2023

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Oxtail ragu with fresh pappardelle

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Lamb was on sale at Aldi so I made this lamb meatballs with feta and fregola last night and it was really good, couldn't get a good picture though. I used Israeli couscous cuz it's what I had, also I would say you can easily up the feta up by half again and turn the heat down to med-low once you put the lid on.

Paired with a crunchy Greek-style tomato cucumber salad and some fresh bread/pita A++ dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Made chili dogs. Maybe too much chili dogs? There can't be such a thing.