Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

yeah like teachers ?

It’s hitting school bus drivers hard here. Prepandemic most of them were retired truckers or city/chartered bus drivers who were just looking to supplement income and Welp, Covid took care of that population pretty good. Given that state certification for school bus drivers requires a ton of training and regular drug tests and just the cost of the class for the commercial license is three grand, they aren’t getting a lot of takers, even when they offer to pay for the class. Pay is too low, most busses aren’t air conditioned and the kids are assholes. So they keep cancelling routes at the last minute when drivers don’t show up or quit and parents lose their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Baddog posted:

Sorry you're getting the rebound!

Yes, just bullshit that there just hasn't been anything close to an official explanation, and in that vacuum the public opinion has trended to "paxlovid causes rebounds".

I'm not an uneducated dumbass either, and yep, everything I know says that this really sounds like 5 days is often not enough to completely eliminate the infection, and if its not eliminated the infection exponential again defeats the immune system defense exponential. Would be great to have better data/guidance for how common that is, if its better to just do 10 days rather than risk it, if you should do another 5 days if you get a rebound, should it be 10 days if you have a stubborn case? etc etc.

bedpan posted:

trust the s(il)ence

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

What's the earliest I could begin surveillance testing with a home LAMP after an exposure?

That is, is there any point to testing 2 days after being around people for spreadsheet avoidance activity? Or is that too soon for there to be sufficient RNA?

My friend's wife just had an exposure with some symptoms so I lent him my Cue reader and some tests. They tested neg 5 days after exposure (3 days after symptoms), and then she tested positive the 6th day after exposure. They were doing in-household masking, ventilation, and filtration just to be safe, so I think the kids were spared this infection, especially now that they will be even more vigilant until she clears the virus. Thank god, at least something.

Sorry I hope you weren't looking for data. The best I got is one anecdote. I'm not sure I would test two days after a potential exposure with no symptoms but that's only my gut talking.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I’m the only person in urgent care with a mask. also this place can’t afford more than 6 loving chairs in the waiting room? seriously??

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

CVS just canceled my appt tomorrow citing low inventory. whomp whomp

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RadiRoot posted:

I’m the only person in urgent care with a mask. also this place can’t afford more than 6 loving chairs in the waiting room? seriously??

Maybe have some respect for the hardworking hospital management and their bonus payment for cost savings??

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol

toastmoney
Oct 18, 2022
Someone I know popped positive (again) on Friday
Hasn't masked since CDC said she could stop, never got boosted, when I told her to get paxlovid she said "what's that"

Found out yesterday she felt well enough to get out of bed, so she went out to get donuts for herself.

:rubby:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

My favorite chef is out with Covid again. He also works at the hospital, so he got vaccinated before anybody else and I don't think he's taken any preventative measures since. He looked like he aged five years last time he came back from Covid. Actually kinda worried this time.

Yeah a friend of mine caught it ostensibly for the first time (pretty sure it’s at least the second) and when I saw him he looked rough.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pingui posted:

Maybe have some respect for the hardworking hospital management and their bonus payment for cost savings??

I feel bad for the standing mom holding the sick 1 year old.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

When I had to get a five minute cat scan I was in two waiting rooms for an hour because they had one person working intake. Love those staffing shortages.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Just got back from Haggen, my wife and I got the new shotness. We loaded our kiddo into the HEPA Stroller and entered the store with high confidence. While we waited at the pharmacy for our shots, a lady asked the pharmacist for Tylenol suppositories and Covid tests because She has a sick kid at home. Guess if this lady was wearing a mask.

Hope our HEPA Stroller works well enough to protect our kiddo from that potential exposure.

The person who administered our Moderna vaccinations and flu shots managed to miss with the bandaid on each arm; covering the injection site with the sticky part and not the soft sterile pad.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

everything is turbofucked

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Woodsy Owl posted:

The person who administered our Moderna vaccinations and flu shots managed to miss with the bandaid on each arm; covering the injection site with the sticky part and not the soft sterile pad.

Same. Maskless and hosed up my walgreens bandaid :goofy:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jyrraeth posted:

Keep in mind this is just some professor with a big spreadsheet giving out these numbers and calibrations. I'm too dumb when it comes to data stuff like this to make a judgement on whether they're good/bad numbers. poo poo sucks regardless and I've been just relying on anecdotal evidence (number of coworkers out sick, coughs on the bus, etc)

The government doesn't really bother summarizing or disseminating information. Its there, if you look for it, for some things.

Moriarty is a bit more than just a random professor. shes also a faculty of dentistry!

but also,

quote:

Dr. Moriarty is the co-founder and lead of COVID-19 Resources Canada, an academic-led organization deploying volunteer scientists and researchers to rapidly identify and respond to community and research needs during the COVID-19 epidemic in Canada that was a founding member of CanCOVID and ScienceUpFirst. Dr. Moriarty is a member of the Royal Society of Canada's COVID-19 Task Force.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

to be fair the new needles they use are extremely tiny.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Steve Yun posted:

the headline is careful to say “associated with” and not “causes”

it’s possible that people who skip breakfast are living overall unhealthier lifestyles to begin with

yeah it feels like that’s be a pretty reasonable indicator rather than a real cause/effect. I know personally if someone tracked my diet it’d be pretty obvious the differences between years where I’m more happy and health conscious vs years where I’m not doing super great mentally and just not minding my wellbeing in general. Usually not starting off the day with some oatmeal, Greek yogurt, and berries and then swinging by burger king for lunch and grabbing a 6 pack on the way home.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/loscharlos/status/1706364616694202799?s=46

that Putrino Labs study on Long Covid has come out

says Long Covid is definitely a biological disease and not in your head. if any of your docs say it’s in your head you can shove it in their face

because it’s a biological disease they’ve developed a blood test to check for it

It's all settled then. Unless all of those biological markers are also associated with mental illness.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fosborb posted:

Moriarty is a bit more than just a random professor. shes also a faculty of dentistry!

but also,

I posted about her before and she is definitely just a random professor who was studying Lyme disease infection before this and published her COVID findings in a non-peer reviewed social club's proceedings (the Royal Society of Canada is a pale imitation of the British original).

Having said that, I continue to wonder what actual epidemiologists are doing these days.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Too Many Birds posted:

to be fair the new needles they use are extremely tiny.

The drops of blood weren't so tiny.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rodbeard posted:

It's all settled then. Unless all of those biological markers are also associated with mental illness.

or bisexuality

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Any public health goons have recommendations for what I should get tested for after having anonymous bathhouse sex...? Besides covid obviously.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

eXXon posted:

Having said that, I continue to wonder what actual epidemiologists are doing these days.

they're either getting fired for speaking up, quitting before they have to (so, you know, two years ago) or going along to get along!

great system

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Got moderna and flu this afternoon after doing some searching on various websites. My insurance was a loving joke (only at cvs minute clinics, NOT pharmacies, if you don’t have those go to the in-network urgent care, your in-network doctors office, or your local public health place. Note: we have no minute clinics anywhere within a hundred miles of here. None of those other places have vaccines nor plan to until mid-October). My husbands however at least has Walgreens in-network so I checked all the chudvilles and found one within 20 miles with moderna and got me and kiddo shot up. There were still two people ahead of us, likely from the same ‘big city’ I came from. No one said poo poo about the masks either.

also I love these tiny needles. I can even watch them do it and barely feel it. So far my arms aren’t even sore.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

eXXon posted:

(the Royal Society of Canada is a pale imitation of the British original).

ah thank you

also their graphics piss me off. what are labeled red, dark orange and light orange are extremely clearly dark orange, light orange and yellow

calls into the question the entire enterprise, really

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
well i tested negative. still feel lovely. see you all next year.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RadiRoot posted:

well i tested negative.
(..)

Congratulations :)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Aptitude just emailed me that presales for direct customers for the metrix NAAT testing set up are a go.

375$ including shipping for the tester and 12 tests. seems reasonable especially if the reagents are good for at least a year. Ill get through them.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Aptitude just emailed me that presales for direct customers for the metrix NAAT testing set up are a go.

375$ including shipping for the tester and 12 tests. seems reasonable especially if the reagents are good for at least a year. Ill get through them.

I got a tracking# email from them today actually so shipping has started in theory.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Friendship ended with MODERNA

Pfize gang rise up

I got the next series of shots for our next upcoming round of lab projects so I’ll probably be more antibody than human this time tomorrow :goofy:

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 02:42 on Sep 26, 2023

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

this reminds me of I don't know if it was a random pilot or some representation swearing pilot issues had nothing to do with covid in the last year or so when there seemed to be some noticeable rumble of complaints from pilots

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This, besides the AFD poo poo is why I've basically tabled my plans to get off the continent. No place to go, and it's not gonna be safe to try.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
Not particularly useful, but another way of viewing people who do know better but are pleading ignorance about covid. it's basically working off the idea that if you assume covid is a danger you then have to follow that with people in power who are charged with protecting us as citizens are intentionally not doing so and that possibility is so overwhelming that people will fight it tooth and nail.
https://x.com/dontwantadothis/status/1706037257784754376?s=20

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

just went to my gp to get an update on a prescription. of course, as you'd expect, i'm the only masked person there. i go into the doctor's room and he asked if i'm sick (becasue of the mask). i said no, just being cautious in a place with sick people. he then said, ah good idea, then pulls out a ratty and brown n95 from under the papers on his desk

lmao, lol etc

good idea, indeed, doc

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
so since this is really private now and from the questionnaire it looks like in 2 months I can just pay for another booster?

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

my arm is so goddamn sore but seems to be the only booster side effect at least

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

toggle posted:

just went to my gp to get an update on a prescription. of course, as you'd expect, i'm the only masked person there. i go into the doctor's room and he asked if i'm sick (becasue of the mask). i said no, just being cautious in a place with sick people. he then said, ah good idea, then pulls out a ratty and brown n95 from under the papers on his desk

lmao, lol etc

good idea, indeed, doc

It’s tough being a doc. People will be really mean to you no matter what stance you take on social issues.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Poppers posted:

It’s tough being a doc. People will be really mean to you no matter what stance you take on social issues.

thx poppers. good point

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Oracle posted:

It’s hitting school bus drivers hard here. Prepandemic most of them were retired truckers or city/chartered bus drivers who were just looking to supplement income and Welp, Covid took care of that population pretty good. Given that state certification for school bus drivers requires a ton of training and regular drug tests and just the cost of the class for the commercial license is three grand, they aren’t getting a lot of takers, even when they offer to pay for the class. Pay is too low, most busses aren’t air conditioned and the kids are assholes. So they keep cancelling routes at the last minute when drivers don’t show up or quit and parents lose their poo poo.
Yeah some of my area's schools have huge banners out front saying "NOW HIRING BUS DRIVERS." I've never seen this before, not anywhere I've lived.

No idea what "school" will even look like once my toddler is old enough to go :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

school will be a teacher in a hermetically sealed capsule with all the kids outdoors