Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Tbh, it's less interesting than it sounds.
Hard disagree. The way the levels in bloodstained were structured I started to expect something like the big fuckin jump ability from Symphony of the Night so when I got world flip instead I had kind of a mind blown moment.

Even though it's a 2d game it takes place in a fully rendered 3d environment and I don't think the ability would have been technologically possible otherwise.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Grabbed the demo of Grime last night and thought it was pretty cool, so I checked out a Let's Play and uh. That insane platforming later in the game.

Yeah, I'm out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If I were to put Grime on the sliding scale of platforming difficulty, it'd be higher than Hollow Knight and lower than Aeterna Noctis, but even, like, regular-story-mode Celeste is still an entire tier above all of those games. It might look flashy and complicated but once you're the one controlling the game, the breakdown of what you're actually doing is much easier than it looks.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The hardest part about Grime's style of platforming is just making sure you do the skills in the right order fast enough. Most of my gently caress ups were just me rushing my order of operations and skipping steps. Once you get the muscle memory down it's pretty simple.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

sudonim posted:

Hard disagree. The way the levels in bloodstained were structured I started to expect something like the big fuckin jump ability from Symphony of the Night so when I got world flip instead I had kind of a mind blown moment.

Even though it's a 2d game it takes place in a fully rendered 3d environment and I don't think the ability would have been technologically possible otherwise.

My problem is that its actual implementation falls flat. With how kooky an idea it is you'd think it would radically recontextualize the entire game world but in truth you only need it in a small handful of spots so you can slide under something and one or two key spots that need big ups. The game really needed rooms that responded to it or actual puzzles that took advantage of it.

The game also just isn't long or big enough so it doesn't take much more time to get the actual big up ability. And two other key powerups can cover the "I need to go through this narrow space" problem. The progression is inelegant and lacks a good payoff for several of the abilities.

Ironically where it really shines (and I'd frequently forget you could even do) is in boss fights since many don't really know what to do about it.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 24, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Ironically where it really shines (and I'd frequently forget you could even do) is in boss fights since many don't really know what to do about it.

Oh yeah. It's my favorite way to fight Valac.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I tried out 9 Years of Shadow, and I like it, but it made me realize I should really play Symphony of the Night all the way through (fancy aftereffect shadowtrail made me think of it)

How the hell do you play it on PC without :filez: involved? Long story short its not an option. Best I've come up with so far is a mobile port I could probably share onto a smart TV nearby.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Konami has been strange in their apparent refusal to bring Symphony to PC or Switch. You can say it's because they used the PlayStation 4 PSP emulator which is proprietary for the collection with Rondo, but they've proven willing to hire M.2 for the Advance Collection and Symphony by itself is on mobile devices so :shrug: . The only thing I can think of is that they have some oddly restrictive exclusivity contract with Sony for the double pack in order to use the PSP emulator and they don't want to release Symphony without Rondo for some reason.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
You can emulate SOTN without guilt since Konami are perpetual idiots about it. Duckstation is super easy to use and you'll get the (in)famous original dub and credits music.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Consider looking into a difficulty hack. I played SOTN for the first time when the Xbox 360 port was released and really enjoyed it. But a couple of years ago I tried it again and quit mid way through because it was so easy to the point of boredom.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, Konami has been strange in their apparent refusal to bring Symphony to PC or Switch. You can say it's because they used the PlayStation 4 PSP emulator which is proprietary for the collection with Rondo, but they've proven willing to hire M.2 for the Advance Collection and Symphony by itself is on mobile devices so :shrug: . The only thing I can think of is that they have some oddly restrictive exclusivity contract with Sony for the double pack in order to use the PSP emulator and they don't want to release Symphony without Rondo for some reason.

well goddammit, I do happen to have a PS4 collecting dust under my entertainment center, why didn't I think of that. :doh:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bawk posted:

How the hell do you play it on PC without :filez: involved?
If you purchase the PSOne Classics release (in as much as you can still purchase it), there's tools to dump a .bin/.cue from the PSN files. So not :filez:, but :filez: adjacent anyways.

Also who cares.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Depite not enjoying Blasphemous 1, I picked up Blasphemous 2 yesterday and played it nonstop for the rest of the night. Night and day, 2 is SO much better. I hit my first somewhat frustrating run of deaths and called it a night, but that's after like 5 hours of playing it.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I take it back, it didn't save my game? WTF

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
The Miracle sensed your great guilt over not enjoying the first game and punished you accordingly

buddy, you got off lightly compared to some people!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Checked out the Steam Community Discussion which is usually a cesspit but sure enough, this is a known issue. The game can just eat your save files. Some people found a fix, I tried it and no dice.

Welp.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Going to put in a recommendation for Cathedral which is on steep discount at the moment
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056180/Cathedral/

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
cathedral is just ok at best. it's very punishing (but not like in a cool dark souls way) and the general balance is pretty weird. some of the bosses towards the end of the game are just unbelievably bullshit and i never finished it. but i still got more out of it than a lot of other games people seem to rate reasonably well like salt & sanctuary and ender lillies so idk

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Going to put in a recommendation for Cathedral which is on steep discount at the moment
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056180/Cathedral/

Cathedral is pretty ok but man is it impossible to use google to search for help in that game thanks to its name. I've been making my way through Haiku the Robot this past weekend, and it's everything I wanted Gato Roboto to be. Feels like it wears a lot of its Hollow Knight inspiration on its sleeve but does it fairly well enough. Biggest issue for me is the map - some areas look so similar I find myself opening the map frequently to double check the route I'm taking. Having to hit back, then ZL to move to the map tab is a design choice for sure.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Timespinner 2: Unwoven Dream - Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFs4JRB-FC0

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mirificus posted:

I tried playing the original game and found it to be pretty bland in terms of mechanics and level design; it was very much following the Igavania style of design, but I played Bloodstained a few months later and enjoyed it much more. Hope the sequel is better.

Also, The Last Case of Benedict Fox is getting a Definitive Edition on PS5; I think the improvements here have already been patched in earlier this month on PC and Xbox, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6gFRYJ4WDM

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

Hell yeah! Even though the first game was a pretty paint by numbers Igavania I got to the end of the game wanting more, so I'm quite pleased to see this. Hoping it expands its scope significantly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That looks awesome. Always glad to see an 'iga' style igavania

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Also, The Last Case of Benedict Fox is getting a Definitive Edition on PS5; I think the improvements here have already been patched in earlier this month on PC and Xbox, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6gFRYJ4WDM

I played this in August on PC, and the combat could get as snappy as it is in the trailer if you wanted it to, but the basic combat mechanics of parry->attack were all you needed and I found the fancy tentacle attacks awkward to pull off. The game never expects you to use the mechanics until the final boss, and there aren't really many "boss" enemies besides the very first one, one other larger version of the flying enemies, and the final boss.

It was still a fun time so I'd recommend it, the puzzles were pretty good but about on the same level as some of the stuff you do in Chants of Senaar. Not sure if I'd drop $25 on it outright, but it's a good one to nab on-sale.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

bawk posted:

If I were to put Grime on the sliding scale of platforming difficulty, it'd be higher than Hollow Knight and lower than Aeterna Noctis, but even, like, regular-story-mode Celeste is still an entire tier above all of those games. It might look flashy and complicated but once you're the one controlling the game, the breakdown of what you're actually doing is much easier than it looks.

Yeah Grime is actually fairly easy to play in terms of platforming/overall gameplay.

It’s just incredibly dull and hollow sounding that it becomes a chore to play (with some really stupid bugs like soft locking you in areas if you aren’t careful).

Mirificus posted:

While the first game played it fairly safe it was well done enough that I’m looking forward to the sequel. Almost like a movie with a cliche story but one that was told rather well.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 25, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bawk posted:

I played this in August on PC, and the combat could get as snappy as it is in the trailer if you wanted it to, but the basic combat mechanics of parry->attack were all you needed and I found the fancy tentacle attacks awkward to pull off. The game never expects you to use the mechanics until the final boss, and there aren't really many "boss" enemies besides the very first one, one other larger version of the flying enemies, and the final boss.

It was still a fun time so I'd recommend it, the puzzles were pretty good but about on the same level as some of the stuff you do in Chants of Senaar. Not sure if I'd drop $25 on it outright, but it's a good one to nab on-sale.

I think the big patch with gameplay improvements didn’t launch until earlier this month, so maybe it’s better now. I’ll give it a try at some point before it leaves Game Pass, definitely.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I decided to try out Expedition mode in Rain World.

HO HO HO

It's actually way worse at killing things than spears

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My first expedition run with the joke rifle saw it immediately getting crunched by a red lizard.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

I think the big patch with gameplay improvements didn’t launch until earlier this month, so maybe it’s better now. I’ll give it a try at some point before it leaves Game Pass, definitely.

I think the patch release hit at the end of June, but I could be wrong. Definitely worth the time on Gamepass though

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bawk posted:

I think the patch release hit at the end of June, but I could be wrong. Definitely worth the time on Gamepass though
I don't think they patched it for Xbox though, that got delayed a bunch for some reason

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Martman posted:

I don't think they patched it for Xbox though, that got delayed a bunch for some reason

My wife just played through it last month on Xbox and it was definitely not what they are showing in terms of combat in this new trailer. Would recommend you hold out to wait and see if this patch fixes the combat and some of the bad puzzle inputs that will drive you mad.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Benedict Fox has been patched on Gamepass for a good 2-3 weeks now. Performance on 2.0 felt pretty good to me, I wound up having a good time with the game and would recommend it!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nostalgamus posted:

I decided to try out Expedition mode in Rain World.

HO HO HO

It's actually way worse at killing things than spears

There are some very funny challenges involving the rifle in challenge mode

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bragon posted:

Benedict Fox has been patched on Gamepass for a good 2-3 weeks now. Performance on 2.0 felt pretty good to me, I wound up having a good time with the game and would recommend it!
Ah yeah, looks like they did get the Xbox patch out two weeks ago. Just trying to be clear when people say gamepass that can be confusing in terms of PC/xbox

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Timespinner was okay, I finished it, but really lacking in personality and the weapons system was not very well-designed. I guess I would look at another one, but I'm not super excited about it.

Haiku is great, it's not as good as Hollow Knight but nothing is. I really enjoyed my time with it.

Cathedral was great for a while and eventually went completely up its own rear end in terms of difficulty. I didn't finish it even though my initial impressions were very positive.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'm excited for Timespinner 2 and glad to see the first was so successful they're able to keep making games independently.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Faerie Afterlight

quote:

Embark on an enchanting adventure in this breathtaking 2D Metroidvania game inspired by the rich folklore of Indonesia. Control Kimo and Wispy as they seek to recover the Shards of Light. Manipulate terrain to solve puzzles, befriend the natives of Lumina, and take abilities from powerful titans.✨
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256966620/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews. 20% launch discount.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ok, this is the thread to ask:

Do any of you know of a game that hits similar notes in tone to the original Axiom Verge?

I know 2 is out, but it's not hitting in the same way, despite being very good.

As an unrelated aside, I highly recommend Monster Sanctuary. It's a monster collector game, but the traversal and progression is 100% metroidvania. It wasn't something I knew I wanted until I got addicted to it. It is nothing like the games mentioned above, I just wanted to share something nice.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Ok, this is the thread to ask:

Do any of you know of a game that hits similar notes in tone to the original Axiom Verge?

I know 2 is out, but it's not hitting in the same way, despite being very good.

The first game is more Metroid than vania and the second is more vania than Metroid.

So...play Super Metroid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
A few pages back folks talked about games in the genre that lean on the Metroid style more than the Castlevania style, so there might be some suggestions in there. I realized that I basically almost entirely play the latter so I'm not of particular use there, but there's definitely a few things to look at from what people were posting.