Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Remember when Woolie was adamant on not streaming and had to basically be forced to stream by Pat, which is basically the only way he's affording everything right now instead of relying on youtube ad bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tae posted:

Remember when Woolie was adamant on not streaming and had to basically be forced to stream by Pat, which is basically the only way he's affording everything right now instead of relying on youtube ad bucks
lol actually I forgot

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

woolie is the classic smart, talented guy that desperately needs a businessman/moneyman close to him to keep from going broke. tale as old as time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't usually mind tangents, I know when to skip ahead of something won't be enjoyable to me, but this week is the worst episode of csb. Like two hours of the same circle of discussion of "game cool but not for me, I don't like x crucial factor" "I loved the game immensely, this is why x factor is there and how I enjoyed it" "No. Let's start again." for two separate games. News didn't start until over the three hour mark.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I made it through the first two tangents mostly, having to fast forward through half or so of the darkest dungeon 2 rambling.

Then pat started talking about edgerunners.

At least woolie liked one piece live action! That was some positivity!!!!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Tae posted:

Is Woolie actually good at labbing, or does he just do it a lot?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
He at least shows a marked improvement after labbing, but that's a good question.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

beep by grandpa posted:

For one, it's a terrible name for what it's designed to be for

I thought the name was fun but the existence of the channel was weird. Just seems like a strange way to split your video views and subs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Clerical Terrors posted:

I thought the name was fun but the existence of the channel was weird. Just seems like a strange way to split your video views and subs.

Vinny has 3 channels, one for edited down videos, another for vods, and one for clips, and that seems to work out?

I think having a single channel with intermixed vods and clips would be a huge mess.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The current common wisdom is that the youtube algorithm hates when you mix up video length a lot and get inconsistent view rates between videos from it. So a lot channels now will split off VODs or off-the-cuff and shorter videos with lighter editing into their own channels.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

how much of that is the algorithm and how much is it people cultivating certain viewerbases. like anyone who watches woolie and/or pat isn't gonna have a lot of issues sitting through four hours of meandering

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

a cartoon duck posted:

how much of that is the algorithm and how much is it people cultivating certain viewerbases. like anyone who watches woolie and/or pat isn't gonna have a lot of issues sitting through four hours of meandering

I think it depends on the format and where it's done. The podcast audience isn't going to perfectly overlap with the edited Youtube Shorts/TikTok stuff Woolie does on his side channel. The people watching them stream games live on Twitch are also not going to perfectly overlap with people who watch Pat's VOD dumps or Woolie's more edited 30-60 minute LP drops. The algorithm on YouTube is an extra, constantly-fluctuating nightmare on top of that.

Anyway Woolie and Pat retweeted this and and Pat made angry baby bird him his new avatar so I guess he agrees with this summary:

https://twitter.com/ironohki/status/1705868914998272502

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1706201875564130785?t=qaLALrQkIl93IJ_GEdPRQQ&s=19
Very interested in hearing the boys' take on this. Feels dire for Platinum. As a total outsider I can only think of 3 causes
Platinum is being bought by like Square, Nintendo, or some other entity and Kamiya refuses to be part of a bigger company again.
The new CEO's move to gaas mentioned last year is even more aggressive and Kamiya disagrees with where the company is going.
The top brass are 'simply' outsing him for whatever reason

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MorningMoon posted:

The top brass are 'simply' outsing him for whatever reason

The ousting could be because Bayonetta 3 sucked huge amounts of poo poo, had a critically panned ending, and the newest Bayonetta thing they were putting forward was getting like negative hype.

I truly don't know how much influence Kamiya has there but it really can't be coincidence that no one is giving a poo poo about the Bayonetta "prologue" after roasting 3's nuts for ending the way it did, and Kamiya leaving.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Monathin posted:

The ousting could be because Bayonetta 3 sucked huge amounts of poo poo, had a critically panned ending, and the newest Bayonetta thing they were putting forward was getting like negative hype.

I truly don't know how much influence Kamiya has there but it really can't be coincidence that no one is giving a poo poo about the Bayonetta "prologue" after roasting 3's nuts for ending the way it did, and Kamiya leaving.

That's certainly possible, but I really don't know how much influence Kamiya had in the Bayonetta 3 that shipped. Seems his only credit is one of the 4 writers on it. Maybe whatever was being developed at first that got canned was more hands on by him and soured a lot of people in the company due to mismanagement. Origins appears to also just have him as one of the writers.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I guess Pat wasn’t the only one saying “Huh, is yelling at people on Twitter the only thing this guy does?”

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol woolie's face when The Anime Club Rap comes on

e: and now he's into it, amazing

and people just keep submitting vtuber clips to them and for some reason woolie hasn't just forbidden them outright. all it takes is one to worm its way into your brain and you're doomed faster than a pressure failure in a submarine 4000 meters deep, but so far woolie and reggie have remained vigilant

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 25, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

lol woolie's face when The Anime Club Rap comes on

e: and now he's into it, amazing

and people just keep submitting vtuber clips to them and for some reason woolie hasn't just forbidden them outright. all it takes is one to worm its way into your brain and you're doomed faster than a pressure failure in a submarine 4000 meters deep, but so far woolie and reggie have remained vigilant

call me self-satisfyed i'm tha mastamind
mix up ya manga titles and ya rear end is mine

I think I was in loving high school the first time I heard this and most of its lyrics to this day can I can still instantly recall

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Anyway Woolie and Pat retweeted this and and Pat made angry baby bird him his new avatar so I guess he agrees with this summary:

https://twitter.com/ironohki/status/1705868914998272502

I remember I had to dip from listening to the podcast for a while after Last of Us 2 came out because I really enjoyed my game, but Pat was doing this for weeks in a row without even playing 95% of the game and just going off the leaked spoilers and things that people were tweeting.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Captain Invictus posted:

The Vtuber fans remain undeterred, no matter how much pushback they get.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I remember I had to dip from listening to the podcast for a while after Last of Us 2 came out because I really enjoyed my game, but Pat was doing this for weeks in a row without even playing 95% of the game and just going off the leaked spoilers and things that people were tweeting.

He was right about that game being bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SAG-AFTRA authorizing a video game strike. Looking forward to Superbeast having to confine itself to unstruck material, like Darkest Dungeon 2.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I love a lot of Platinum's games but it's always felt like for every hit they have a half dozen misses to go with it, some of them their fault and some of them just bad luck.

I wish this was the timeline where Scalebound had actually finished and released. :sigh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That timeline doesn't exist, Scalebound was a poison pill Microsoft fed them so they could intentionally ruin the company then scoop it up for pennies.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I think another big problem was everyone eventually started getting tired of the one kind of good game they did make.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't see how that could be the case because they don't make a good game with any regularity snd nobody buys it when they do.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Enough people bought them to keep the company afloat, but even that small group got tired of them after awhile.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Every time they showed scalebound it looked like poo poo

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Enough people bought them to keep the company afloat, but even that small group got tired of them after awhile.
and then Capcom dropped DMCV and everyone who liked that sort of game forgot all about Platinum.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He was right about that game being bad.

TLoU2 was the greatest Manhunt game ever made. :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Closest we're getting to a The Punisher game this decade too.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Judge Tesla posted:

and then Capcom dropped DMCV and everyone who liked that sort of game forgot all about Platinum.

Huh, when you put it like that, there really hasn't been many notable character action games post-DMCV, has there? Bayo 3 and Hi-Fi Rush are the only ones I can think of offhand, and the only one I can think of that hasn't dropped (Stellar Blade) still doesn't have a release date yet.

Kinda feels like the genre of beat 'em ups has either gone back to their traditional roots (Streets of Rage 4, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge) or switched to a Sekiro-style action game (Jedi Fallen Order, Wo Long)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Granblue Relink, which Platinum was working on originally, is supposed to be the next big thing in the genre. I'm really torn because I kinda disregarded Platinum for a while now; when Pat said something to the effect of "we get good action games now, we evolved past th eneed for Platinum" i was kinda already in that mindset.

Then I played FF16 and the parts that gave me the most joy were boss fights Platinum clearly did and ripped off their own poo poo as hard as possible for. Tears in my eyes saying "The Wonderful 102..." in a couple there, and dammit, I need to see what Platinum could do making a real game on a console now. And maybe I'll never get to see it.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Whoops, I completely forgot about FF16 being one.

You'd think I'd have remembered that, but despite the FF series having trended in that direction for a while I still can't think of it in that way

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Eh I still enjoyed Revengeance and W101 more. No other games in the genre hooked me like those two. But Platinum hasn't even been close to that good for over a decade now is the thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
rip solidus, destroyed for content. I get him wanting to showcase the weirdness of neuro(an AI vtuber made by a self-taught programmer who uses like half a dozen programs in tandem to make her work), but he picked about the worst way to go about it. woolie really has gotten the hang of these slop streams though, he's so good at taking cringe or skip material and turning it into great entertainment.

and then there's reggie and his extreme rigidity about pizza etiquette. you never quite know what will set reggie off, it's great. and whether it's a bit or not, he's gotten so much better at keeping a straight face

also I want to see more Getting Over It content with reggie or woolie, either is fine

this whole stream is excellent: https://twitch.tv/videos/1926290697

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the eikon fights in 16 were much more an asura’s wrath ripoff than platinum

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

gently caress Scalebound, Revengence 2 was the one we should have got but didn't.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shinji2015 posted:

Huh, when you put it like that, there really hasn't been many notable character action games post-DMCV, has there? Bayo 3 and Hi-Fi Rush are the only ones I can think of offhand, and the only one I can think of that hasn't dropped (Stellar Blade) still doesn't have a release date yet.

Honkai 3rd impact was just ripping off bayonetta and made hundreds of millions of dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Warbird posted:

gently caress Scalebound, Revengence 2 was the one we should have got but didn't.