Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

theflyingexecutive posted:

Edible Regurgments

the new potent potables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

attn: hbag

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Pusher

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

There's an equivalent in my neck of the woods called the Yorkshire Dipper

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there was a big thing in the midwest trying to connect drowning deaths in rivers with some graffiti. it was...not convincing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ah, yes, the eternal mystery of "why are there so many drowning deaths in this body of water right next to multiple bars?" Austin's got its own copycat killer right now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

every year or so a mostly intact foot in a shoe washes up on the shores of the salish sea. there's an overwhelming probability that it's people dying in boating accidents and the currents removing feet from the bodies at the ankles, but there are people who 100% insist there's some kind of serial killer who rarely strikes and specifically boats out to near international waters to drop a single foot, like if the zodiac killer was quentin tarantino

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

like if the zodiac killer was quentin tarantino

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antivehicular posted:

Ah, yes, the eternal mystery of "why are there so many drowning deaths in this body of water right next to multiple bars?" Austin's got its own copycat killer right now

this killer is so sophisticated he prevented the canal from having a safety barrier installed. truly the napoleon of crime

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Some have even considered themselves to be a new breed of human, a step-up evolution. As they understand it, they are mutants who have grown and adapted to the radiation present in their home.[14] In their eyes, the air and food are poisonous, and the people consume this and yet live. Thus, they must be adapting to the radiation and that is why people only get a 'little sick'. They even have begun to believe that they are so used to radiation that their bodies require it.[14] This belief has stemmed from the fact that many individuals who moved away from the city died within two years. As such, to some left behind, it seems that the lack of radiation killed them. This has further cemented their belief that they are 'radioactive mutants'.[14]

The locals also believe that their status is backed by science.[14]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A family plantation, Sunnyside on Edisto, South Carolina, has been exclusively in family hands from the Mikell side of the family for over 300 years. Summer-long stays in the natural setting of the plantation awakened his artistic predilection. He took painting and drawing courses at the University of South Carolina when he was eight. He redrew entire issues of The New Yorker cartoons before settling on favorite cartoonists such as William Steig and Charles Barsotti.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

if you think about it a serial killer who did actually just shove drunk guys into canals near bars would probably get away with it

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hbag posted:

if you think about it a serial killer who did actually just shove drunk guys into canals near bars would probably get away with it

in It (the book not the movie or television show) it opens with a gay man getting shoved into a canal

gay panic was something King got right

he also did it in the storm of the century when several mainers beat a "pretty boy" into the hospital and the devil dude called them out for it

they thought he was too attractive for a man so they gang beat his face

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In 2007, a young minke whale ended up in the canal as a result of heavy storms.[1]: 169 [33][152] The whale, soon nicknamed "Sludgy", was unable to get out and soon died.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

prefect posted:

In 2007, a young minke whale ended up in the canal as a result of heavy storms.[1]: 169 [33][152] The whale, soon nicknamed "Sludgy", was unable to get out and soon died.

that's sad and all but

lol sludgy the whale

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kazinsal posted:

every year or so a mostly intact foot in a shoe washes up on the shores of the salish sea. there's an overwhelming probability that it's people dying in boating accidents and the currents removing feet from the bodies at the ankles, but there are people who 100% insist there's some kind of serial killer who rarely strikes and specifically boats out to near international waters to drop a single foot, like if the zodiac killer was quentin tarantino

i heard the tarantino murderer even struck as far south as panama

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

People find other peoples' flatus unpleasant, but are unfazed by, and may even enjoy, the scent of their own.[65]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
A 2013 study estimates the average trophic level of human beings at 2.21, similar to pigs or anchovies.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
The boy screams, hits the computer screen repeatedly and breaks the monitor, urinates in his pants, runs to the person filming him and starts crying. Since the upload, the video has been viewed over 25 million times.[26]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

this is at the top of the page for the porsche cayenne

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Recent deaths: Sycamore Gap Tree

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
The current world record was established on 29 June 2009, by 10-year-old Sophie Smith of Willaston, England, who raised 567 worms during Britain's World Worm Charming Championship.[11]

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ColTim posted:

The boy screams, hits the computer screen repeatedly and breaks the monitor, urinates in his pants, runs to the person filming him and starts crying. Since the upload, the video has been viewed over 25 million times.[26]

lmao

quote:

In 2004, K-fee (Kaffee), a German caffeinated energy drink company, released nine television advertisements that feature peaceful footage, such as a car driving through a green valley, or two people at a beach. A zombie or gargoyle then pops up on the screen, along with a loud, high-pitched scream, potentially scaring the viewer. At the end of each advertisement, the slogan, "So wach warst du noch nie", which translates into English as, "You've never been so awake", appears on the screen, simulating the effect the energy drink will have on its consumers.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

His status as "Afghanistan's lone pig" attracted international attention in May 2009, when he was moved into quarantine.[5] The move came in response to visitors' concerns at the time of a worldwide outbreak of influenza A (H1N1) ("swine flu").

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

While the standard accounting methods commonly used in first world countries such as the United States are more than adequate for the appropriate times and eras dependent upon the incumbents of the agencies which patrol the financial statements and account balances of both mom and pop shops and multinational conglomerates, it is become increasingly obvious in more recent years that the international standard(s) of accounting found in IFRS and the field of forensic accounting itself benefit greatly due to the advantages found in the cash method of accounting according to IFRS.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tunicate posted:

While the standard accounting methods commonly used in first world countries such as the United States are more than adequate for the appropriate times and eras dependent upon the incumbents of the agencies which patrol the financial statements and account balances of both mom and pop shops and multinational conglomerates, it is become increasingly obvious in more recent years that the international standard(s) of accounting found in IFRS and the field of forensic accounting itself benefit greatly due to the advantages found in the cash method of accounting according to IFRS.

wow, rare to see "it is become" type grammar in english (idk the term), its regular & common in the other germanic languages i know but feels weird and biblical in english, so what the hell is going on here i love it

is it a remnant like indian english "the needful"?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Carthag Tuek posted:

wow, rare to see "it is become" type grammar in english (idk the term), its regular & common in the other germanic languages i know but feels weird and biblical in english, so what the hell is going on here i love it

is it a remnant like indian english "the needful"?

for me it's simply incorrect, should be "it has become"

fake edit: in french they use the "to be" verb for the past tense devenir ("to become") so idk that could be part of it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Petanque posted:

fake edit: in french they use the "to be" verb for the past tense devenir ("to become") so idk that could be part of it

"incorrect" is a fake idea, especially in english

probably english is the one out of norm, using to have instead of to be there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

heres what i mean by it sounding biblical in english, its basically i think because yall stopped using it sometime after the king james bible came out. eg "the man of god is come hither" (2 kings 8:7)

using the same grammar in danish or german just sounds normal imo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Carthag Tuek posted:

Dumb this wrong and is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Dumb this wrong and is.

anway igottit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but to be serious, i posted that off the back of the terrible programming unicode detour hence etc

language is correct as long as it conveys what was intended. on top of the bare meaning is that whole layer of class, race, gender, orientation, religion, etc which is often what causes people to say something is "correct" or not.

to put it another way: language is garbage and we should just chill out like orangutans instead. gestures, facial expressions, woops, etc. cant destroy the climate with those.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
Water pouring puzzles (also called water jug problems, decanting problems,[1][2] measuring puzzles, or Die Hard with a Vengeance puzzles)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tunicate posted:

ifrs sucks ASC forever

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Carthag Tuek posted:

heres what i mean by it sounding biblical in english, its basically i think because yall stopped using it sometime after the king james bible came out. eg "the man of god is come hither" (2 kings 8:7)

using the same grammar in danish or german just sounds normal imo

Yeah, it's pretty archaic and using it now is either an error or a stylistic choice.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

this is an extremely dumb take

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Petanque posted:

Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame hath covered my face. I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children. For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
lots of language puritanism in the wikipedia thread

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am become prescriptivism, the destroyer of natural languages.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i know i'm getting trolled but the internet idiots who read a 140 character hot take and think they know what they're talking about GET MY GOAT. the number of supposedly-educated people who somehow think that prescriptivism and descriptivism are rival sports teams instead of analytical tools is fairly disappointing.

words have meaning. that meaning changes over time. don't be an idiot and it's not a problem, but somehow people have a lot of problems with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Achmed Jones posted:

i know i'm getting trolled but the internet idiots who read a 140 character hot take and think they know what they're talking about GET MY GOAT. the number of supposedly-educated people who somehow think that prescriptivism and descriptivism are rival sports teams instead of analytical tools is fairly disappointing.

words have meaning. that meaning changes over time. don't be an idiot and it's not a problem, but somehow people have a lot of problems with that.

you're not having enough fun with language.