Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yes it’s fully possible to run all-up settlements on multiple tiles, I think there is a setting for how many full maps to allow in the game options.

You need a machine with a lot of computational grind available but if you’re running 30+ pawns without terrific slowdowns then you might not run into too many problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love bouldermits, they're so loving adorable :kiddo:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's a mod, Set Up Camp Here, which lets you make truly temporary camps that have the same extra raid timer as other temporary maps. But otherwise, a settlement is a settlement, you can keep both or just the second one or whatever you want

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

There's a mod called Vanilla Outposts that lets you send out people to make various semi-passive resource production camps who send stuff back home.

Also tell me more about this Great Tree thing you've got going.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Archenteron posted:

There's a mod called Vanilla Outposts that lets you send out people to make various semi-passive resource production camps who send stuff back home.

if you do this, TURN OFF THE RAID TIMER ON THEM. pawns in outposts are in stasis, they do not get their needs refilled and you don't really have much in the way of defenses.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SugarAddict posted:

if you do this, TURN OFF THE RAID TIMER ON THEM. pawns in outposts are in stasis, they do not get their needs refilled and you don't really have much in the way of defenses.
You'll probably want to adjust the rate various outposts give you stuff too. The most notable are the hunting camps which can potentially bring in ludicrous returns of thousands upon thousands of meat and leather per quadrum, while mining and farming outposts have comparatively middling response. It's easy to tweak but something you'd want to experience first to know how you'd want to tweak jt.

It sounds like a lot of caveats but I still recommend the mod as its one of the few ways to infinitely scale an endgame base without making your CPU melt.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2975005239

It's these guys. You can plant a Great Tree and any corpses that get planted at its base turn into "Humanoid Cocoons." After a few weeks you can harvest them for 1-2 new baby treelings!

Treelings are loving stupid and apparently only ever get one choice at growth moments BUT... they grow super fast, they don't care about comfort, and they are perfectly happy to (for example) get a circadian half-cycler and move back and forth from the rec room to their 3 guaranlen trees for-loving-ever. They also age really fast, so they'll be children in months and adults in like a year.

I currently have a treeling named Treepo who got slow learner and lazy as his traits. He started doing 100% guaranlen pruning at 0.08 plants and two years later he finally broke 3.0. What a dumbass treeling. Meanwhile his brothers Bushpo and Twigpo are at plants 20 and can prune a loving tree so fast that even with 3 trees each they're our top farmers.

Get it together, Treepo, or you join the Bouldermits!

(btw I had a female bouldermit spawn on a raid I went on and I got her and now I have a pregnant bouldermit and I don't know if it's going to give birth to a little bouldermit or a pebblemit but here's hoping for a big boy)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

It better be a baby big boy and also I think crabs lay eggs, rare Alpha Animals L.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Is there anyone here familiar with save our ship's current status as to what's working or not in the 1.4 github branch? Like major features and show stoppers to decide if it's worth playing yet

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

It better be a baby big boy and also I think crabs lay eggs, rare Alpha Animals L.

It is, indeed, a baby bouldermit. It's tiny! Well, compared to mom and dad.

Even better, it is also a female. Soon the front of my base will teem with house-sized crabs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oscar aint no Slouch posted:

Is there anyone here familiar with save our ship's current status as to what's working or not in the 1.4 github branch? Like major features and show stoppers to decide if it's worth playing yet

It definitely still needs some time to cook, I was getting unbelievable lag in space and orbital sites would sometimes instantly destroy your shuttle and everyone in it rather than load the site.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

It definitely still needs some time to cook, I was getting unbelievable lag in space and orbital sites would sometimes instantly destroy your shuttle and everyone in it rather than load the site.

sounds like they got Rimatomics

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Does anyone know if there's a mod that just adds a 'clean this room' order? Like what Achtung has, but without Achtung.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mu. posted:

Does anyone know if there's a mod that just adds a 'clean this room' order? Like what Achtung has, but without Achtung.

Common Sense https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1561769193 has a lot of features you may or may not want, but it adds an option to make pawns clean the room before working at a workbench or doing surgery? Some of the features are dumb/useless but basically everything has an option to disable it.

Main difference being this isn't an order you give but a passive thing that automatically runs in the background and queues cleaning tasks at a slight delay to crafting/etc getting done, so rooms on average don't accumulate as much filth if there's a workstation.

Also there's CleaningArea and CleaningPriority which let you define custom zones where you want stuff kept clean, so your pawns on cleaning duty don't waste time sweeping random bits of sand in your corpse pit or whatev that you don't really want/need cleaned.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 27, 2023

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Most of my pawns were out doing a raid on a local settlement, leaving my researcher, Darklight, his various pets (for defence), and about five children looking after the camp.

Darklight decided to throw a 'binge party' while all the other colonists were away. Except he never actually attended and just carried on researching while all the children got drunk or stoned in the dining room. Guy obviously really didn't want to babysit those kids.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Chatrapati posted:

Most of my pawns were out doing a raid on a local settlement, leaving my researcher, Darklight, his various pets (for defence), and about five children looking after the camp.

Darklight decided to throw a 'binge party' while all the other colonists were away. Except he never actually attended and just carried on researching while all the children got drunk or stoned in the dining room. Guy obviously really didn't want to babysit those kids.

Did he *really* decide to throw the party or did the kids throw the party and blame him afterward well enough that even the UI says he did it?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Complications posted:

Did he *really* decide to throw the party or did the kids throw the party and blame him afterward well enough that even the UI says he did it?

Hah! I've never considered the UI to be a biased narrator, but you might be onto something. I might move the alcohol from the dining room to somewhere less acessible though, two kids ended up black-out drunk, which was cool because it's not something I've seen before, but also a little concerning for a couple of 11~ year olds.

Recently encountered a weird bug with a burial ritual where it would cancel itself repeatedly. If I removed the kids from the ritual though it seemed to work. I think the kids in this colony are just so rowdy that they can't stay solemn for a couple of hours and need to get back to graffiting or throwing parties or whatever.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Rimworld: two kids ended up black-out drunk, which was cool

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Has anyone tried the VE Deserters mod? I've wanted to do a proper "gently caress the Empire" run for years and this seems like just the thing to add actual content for that. The design seems cool in principle but I'm a bit wary because, well, it's VE.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kanos posted:

There are numerous examples of teams of modders being hired and becoming professional. Counterstrike was a mod.

StealthArcher posted:

Protecting people from companies just blanket going "all thoughts in ur brain are mine lolmao" is not the same as "I came up with a thunder god in this game so nobody else can use that concept ever, now let me congratulate namco on patenting loading screen mini games"
Quick historical note: Counterstrike was a mod for Half-Life for the same reason that Team Fortress was. At the time everyone expected Quake 2 to be where all the mods went (because they were all for Quake 1), but modders went to Half Life in part because Id Software claimed total IP ownership over all mods in the Quake 2 license agreement.

Rimworld is a fantastic platform for mods, and it's got such a very very rich modding community that it's downright considered unusual when someone comes to discuss the game unmodded.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The best part about Rimworld modding from a player's perspective is just how resilient the game is against outright crashes. The equivalent of red errors in other games crash them, but Rimworld's willing to keep going if the player is. It's a great design choice and I wish more games were willing to work like that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Love my pack of velociraptors bee lining to rotten corpses to eat them, immediately getting food poisoning, and then throwing up rotten people flesh around the base.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

They’re velocity raptures no brain genius raptors

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Complications posted:

The best part about Rimworld modding from a player's perspective is just how resilient the game is against outright crashes. The equivalent of red errors in other games crash them, but Rimworld's willing to keep going if the player is. It's a great design choice and I wish more games were willing to work like that.

It also leads to some hilarious poo poo, I saw a post on the reddit a month or so ago where a person's colonists had disco bodies that were rapidly swapping between colors and shapes while their heads stayed static. :allears:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Has anyone tried the VE Deserters mod? I've wanted to do a proper "gently caress the Empire" run for years and this seems like just the thing to add actual content for that. The design seems cool in principle but I'm a bit wary because, well, it's VE.
It's... interesting? It kind of forces an "always be raiding/sabotaging" since most of the rewards are from collecting large amounts of "intel" but that has a relatively short shelf-life so you have to do multiple raids/quests to have enough to do something useful with. At the same time there's a visibility mechanic where the more things you do against the Empire the more they notice/care about you existing and escalate accordingly, including bullshit like no-warning sniper assassination attempts or literal orbital strikes (as in "level the map and turn it into ash and glass, you better run ASAP when you get the warning so don't get too attached to your base if you're being active") It's kind of frustrating in the VE:Mechanoids way where the core gimmick mechanic behind it is actually interesting in concept but probably poorly balanced if you don't like that kind of intensive micromanagement and managing large colonies with multiple caravans and whatnot, but it's also very high concept and transforms the game flow a great deal. Definitely worth a try though just for the novelty and a lot of it can be tweaked in the settings anyway.

Complications posted:

Yeah Rimworld is incredibly resilient. You can still mess things up badly enough if you add and remove mods too frequently (and definitely don't remove a mod mid-save unless it's like nothing more than a texture mod or something) but otherwise it will keep humming through an astounding degree of script conflicts and missing references. The fact it's so seamlessly integrated with the steam workshop is just icing on the cake too.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 29, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Asimo posted:

It's... interesting? It kind of forces an "always be raiding/sabotaging" since most of the rewards are from collecting large amounts of "intel" but that has a relatively short shelf-life so you have to do multiple raids/quests to have enough to do something useful with. At the same time there's a visibility mechanic where the more things you do against the Empire the more they notice/care about you existing and escalate accordingly, including bullshit like no-warning sniper assassination attempts or literal orbital strikes (as in "level the map and turn it into ash and glass, you better run ASAP when you get the warning so don't get too attached to your base if you're being active") It's kind of frustrating in the VE:Mechanoids way where the core gimmick mechanic behind it is actually interesting in concept but probably poorly balanced if you don't like that kind of intensive micromanagement and managing large colonies with multiple caravans and whatnot, but it's also very high concept and transforms the game flow a great deal. Definitely worth a try though just for the novelty and a lot of it can be tweaked in the settings anyway.

This sounds like it's intended for a seasonal / flood-and-drought approach where you intensely fight the empire and gather lots of intel, spend it on a reward, then lay low for a few quadruns while the heat decays.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
The problem is that the intel decays with time - I think the fix for that is the burnout scrapers, but if you accidentally use up one without the intel to get another declassifier (or whatever the doodad is you need), I think your only intel source is capturing/recruiting pawns with royal titles and having that convert to intel?

(Fun fact - you can use the burnout scraper 9 times and then deconstruct it to get the whatever-it-is back.)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I've not used much of the biotech content before, how powerful is it? Can I vat-grow perfect colonists in the late game?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I don't remember a way to grow a colonist from vat alone - I think a colonist has to give birth to them, *then* you can put them in a growth vat.

In the vat they get skill training, which is better than a neglected child, but not by much.

The real power comes from a well-raised colonist, since you also get some control over what traits they have.

Biotech also let's you pick what genes your colonists have, but implanted genes aren't heritable without mods. Minmaxing with skill bonus genes for the role your colonists has and penalties for the skills they won't use is very powerful, but actually collecting those Genes is a challenge in itself.

CheaperThanTwitter
Jul 3, 2023
You can harvest eggs from female colonists, slaves, or prisoners then have male colonists or slaves fertilize them. These fertilized embryos can be grown in vats, where they are born (and then usually put back until kid is 3). Vat birth is higher risk than normal birth under good conditions.

The big defect for vat growth is crappy traits: you can solve a lot of skill gaps with genes if you harvest enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah the optimal approach is natural birth -> vat growth until 3 years old because vat growing through the baby stage has no downsides and a ton of upsides -> raise the child with 90%+ recreation time in their schedule so they max out their learning at all times. It takes a long time, but you end up with basically home grown super pawns because you can choose their passions and traits(albeit from a limited list, but still incredibly powerful).

Raising kids from birth to adulthood in a vat will give you crap rear end pawns, which is good if you just want cannon fodder or haulers because it's fast, but vat grown pawns with no actual childhood will pretty much always be rear end.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the most important parts of the bio is ripping genes out of everyone/buying all genepacks so you can make xenogerms to turn anyone into a supersoldier or never sleeping pacifist slaves

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The mechanitor stuff is also very powerful, for almost no investment you can basically take care of all of your hauling, cleaning, and planting tasks. The construction bot is good too for taking care of building walls and poo poo but you probably want a master-skilled pawn building things like beds

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I always get blindsided by a Maneater pack or a pig raid before I get to do the cool gene stuff :cry:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Activate Dev mode in options and just delete whatever is ruining your colony if you want to keep playing with the cool toys. It is a single player game, do what you want!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah it’s perfectly possible to ruin your own fun with the console but it’s also perfectly possible to sidestep poo poo you’ve dealt with ten thousand times before, so you can get to what you want and stop using the console. Try it for sure.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Speaking of tailoring your Rimworld experience - that Cherrypicker mod, can that be used to disable events? The Deserters mod is pretty cool, but the no-alert sniper equipped with the bullshit infinite-range needle rifle is incredibly annoying.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

death cob for cutie posted:

Speaking of tailoring your Rimworld experience - that Cherrypicker mod, can that be used to disable events? The Deserters mod is pretty cool, but the no-alert sniper equipped with the bullshit infinite-range needle rifle is incredibly annoying.

You can disable events during normal new game set up, or via something like Scenario Amender during the game. Cherrypicker would let you disable the specific sniper rifle they use if that's your preference.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol, an unflagged event where a pawn spawns and tries to beat one of yours to death with their bare hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol, an unflagged event where a pawn spawns and tries to beat one of yours to death with their bare hands

Big Boss is coming for your rear end