Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

goblin week posted:

whatever. gently caress me i guess

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ultrapotassium posted:

I am not normally a violent person, but I wanted to stab him about 15 seconds in to meeting him. Don't care about the consequences. We'll make something up. Freak accident, he fell on a knife. Repeatedly.

I love how they plant the seed of doubt to make you think that beneath the smarminess, he just might actually be legit… and then that moment happens.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My favorite bit from that plot is still Maxima kinda clearing his throat post-Tsukuyomi and saying "so, uh, whatever the hell just happened, could we still do the prisoner exchange?" because he actually is the reasonable adult that Asahi could only vaguely attempt to be for about ten minutes

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cabbit posted:

For me nothing has ever topped the Exarchic Coat of Casting for RDM glam, and I don't think anything ever will. Sometimes I get the itch to roll with full Virtu Duelist for that classic feel but I always goes back to Exarchic eventually.

I dunno, I really like the chestpiece from the EW AF.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Nailbiter of a match, appropriate for the 100th win for my coat

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

r e d m a g e

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'll never be a true red mage as long as i'm a hrothgar and can't wear the hats :(

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
am tank.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I refuse to be red. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kerrzhe posted:

i'll never be a true red mage as long as i'm a hrothgar and can't wear the hats :(

Alisaie's a red mage and doesn't wear a hat!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best reason to grind up a grand company tbh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Alisaie's a red mage and doesn't wear a hat!

I like to imagine X'rhun Tia was like "no, no, you have to wear the hat, that's how it works" and just ending up in a circular argument with her about the importance of the hat for hours.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
X'rhun failed with me as well. Do you know who I am, X'rhun? I'm the Warrior of F'ing Light and I'll wear what I want. Have you, in your fancy hat, saved the Universe? I did it in a pink sweater and a pair of rimless glasses.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sunday Morning posted:

X'rhun failed with me as well. Do you know who I am, X'rhun? I'm the Warrior of F'ing Light and I'll wear what I want. Have you, in your fancy hat, saved the Universe? I did it in a pink sweater and a pair of rimless glasses.

Explicitly using The Emperor's New Hat on my RDM glam so X'hrun goes "very nice hat you have there good sir" while I chuckle to myself

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

hazardousmouse posted:

Nailbiter of a match, appropriate for the 100th win for my coat

Congrats on the coat!!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Okay this is just getting silly, this is my fourth legendary fish in three days. Sea Butterfly, Cinder Surprise, Listracanthus, and now Aquamaton, and I'm pretty sure this was my first attempt at Aquamaton.

My only legendary fish left is Stethacanthus.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Meanwhile, I'm done with my own little grind thanks to placing in the Rowena Classic tournament. :toot:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Makes me think of a can of orange juice.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

So is there anywhere I can go to read the story for the 6.x patches and the Alliance raids? After 4 and 8 months I've forgotten most of the nuance so I'm looking for a synopsis that's longer than the 6 sentences I'm finding online

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

So is there anywhere I can go to read the story for the 6.x patches and the Alliance raids? After 4 and 8 months I've forgotten most of the nuance so I'm looking for a synopsis that's longer than the 6 sentences I'm finding online

Six sentences is probably longer than the description I'd give for the alliance raids, actually, so that one's probably good.

For the MSQ, here's my best summary:

We're exploring the Thirteenth with the aid of Vrtra, because his sister Azdaja flew into the voidgate made by Allag way back when and has never returned. In doing so we met Zenos' voidsent, turned her into a real girl still kinda hosed up girl with poor knowledge of how to be a person, who Y'shtola named Zero. Turns out voidsent can't die and are all aether-starved so the Thirteenth is a hellhole, and after we took out the Cloud of Darkness a guy named Golbez has taken power with his four lieutenants, backed up by the power they're siphoning from a captured Azdaja. Our first attempt to entre the Thirteenth got their attention, so Scarmiglione tracked us down and then got caught in a crystal; because voidsent can't die, the most reliable way to dispose of one is the power of the Memoriates--of which Zero is one--to capture them in a crystal. After that, we also Pokeball'd Barbariccia before bringing Zero back to the Source. Out in the Source some weird circumstances in Garlemald brought us to a voidgate in the Reapers' old hometown, which turned out to be opened by Cagnazzo using one of Azdaja's eyes; we killed him on the Source, which should just render him perma-dead. Then Rubicante turned up and we hosed his poo poo up, too, putting an end to Golbez's four lieutenants (unless shenanigans happen, which they probably will), but only after he broke the voidgate we were using; he also told us Golbez was on the Thirteenth's moon, so we aimed to go there. We got the aether to open a gate thanks to Sharlayan, got the help of Garlemald with some diplomacy from Vrtra, and laser-beamed the aether up to the moon to make a portal in the Zodiark Hole. Once on the Thirteenth's moon we find Azdaja, and then we find Golbez, who turned Azdaja into the Shadow Dragon (because Golbez needs to have a Shadow Dragon for his fight, it's mandatory), and once he lost, he threw Azdaja's body into the mass of aether still lingering from Zodiark's demise (since nothing can die) to create Zeromus. Right now the plan is 'go to the First and somehow get a bunch of light aether to throw at Zeromus to nullify its huge honkin' darkness barrier'.

Throughout all that, we've been learning incomplete bits and pieces abut the Contramemoria, the war that ended in the Thirteenth becoming the Void. It's not really cohesive enough to have a full story yet, but apparently both sides were conjuring and chaneling monsters with crystals/auracite; Contramemoria like Zero were a force attempting to stop that. The Golbez from the present was active then as a man named Durande, who looked like After Years Zeromus and was hanging out with the real Golbez; at some point the real Golbez died tragically, and Durande took up his name and appearance to do ???.

And as an entirely unrelated side-plot from 6.4, Krile, Erenvile, Thancred and Urianger have all got nebulous callings to a place; it hasn't been named in-story but we now know from the Dawntrail reveal that it's Tural.

Any questions?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 26, 2023

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kerrzhe posted:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

best reason to grind up a grand company tbh

The gunblade is the dumbest weapon Squeenix ever invented.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kheldarn posted:

The gunblade is the dumbest weapon Squeenix ever invented.

:wrong:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

same game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

God Hole posted:

same game

Much like Scholars eating their fairy Summoners should be able to shoot Carbuncle at enemies.

Also give Carbuncle the ability to suplex.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
ahem square didn't come up with the gunblade.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

ahem square didn't come up with the gunblade.

No, but their version of it is just as stupid.

There's a reason it doesn't come up in history for anyone who doesn't specialize in a certain area of history.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I mean, people have, and still do, attached guns to all manner of other weapons in real life. Daggers, various and sundry swords, shields, axes, spears, maces, brass knuckles. FF's gunblades are downright respectable (outside of the magic part, obviously) in comparison to some of the crazier stuff they've done throughout the series.

Quina's forks in FFIX, for example. Not spears, not tridents dinner forks. Or how about Vanille's "rods"? She doesn't break knees with them, instead they've got multiple, retractable wires with hooks that she uses to slash people with like you would throw a fishing fly.

Hell, out of curiosity I checked out a fandom wiki for FF weapons, and did you know FFXII had a DS spinoff? I didn't. I also, obviously, didn't know that the game has a character that uses flying surfboards called Skybandits as her weapon.

Kheldarn posted:

No, but their version of it is just as stupid.

There's a reason it doesn't come up in history for anyone who doesn't specialize in a certain area of history.

I mean, if you go this route, FF's version of any real-world weapon is equally stupid. Cloud's massive sword is obvious, of course, but all those fancy greebly bits on any late-game weapon are functionally detrimental towards using any of them as an actual weapon.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I can't believe the weapons are impractical in my catgirl mmo fantasy game

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I'm riding a gigantic spinning tortoise, but at least my sword is functional

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Onean posted:

I mean, people have, and still do, attached guns to all manner of other weapons in real life. Daggers, various and sundry swords, shields, axes, spears, maces, brass knuckles. FF's gunblades are downright respectable (outside of the magic part, obviously) in comparison to some of the crazier stuff they've done throughout the series.

And they're still not as stupid as the FF Gunblade.

Onean posted:

Quina's forks in FFIX, for example. Not spears, not tridents dinner forks. Or how about Vanille's "rods"? She doesn't break knees with them, instead they've got multiple, retractable wires with hooks that she uses to slash people with like you would throw a fishing fly.

Also dumb, but not as bad as the Gunblade. Though Vanille's Rods are close.

Onean posted:

Hell, out of curiosity I checked out a fandom wiki for FF weapons, and did you know FFXII had a DS spinoff? I didn't. I also, obviously, didn't know that the game has a character that uses flying surfboards called Skybandits as her weapon.

Yeah, not a lot of people know about Revenant Wings. Lucky people.

Onean posted:

I mean, if you go this route, FF's version of any real-world weapon is equally stupid. Cloud's massive sword is obvious, of course, but all those fancy greebly bits on any late-game weapon are functionally detrimental towards using any of them as an actual weapon.

Yeah, there are some bad designs. Hell, 99% of the Monk weapons in this game would do more damage to the user than the target. And yet, they're still not as dumb as the Gunblade.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

A gunbreaker's gunblade is not a gun + blade. It's a sword with magic exploding bits. It does not fire bullets. They have a funny name but they're just funny looking swords. That's not to say they aren't silly, just that comparing them to real world firearm/blade combos isn't quite fair.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ah, it's a bit. I see.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I've been told that, of all the real-life gunweapons built, the most practical was probably the gunhatchet. It was, effectively, a carbine with a very hefty axe-bayonet and a grip favoring the melee function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword#Similar_weapons

This consideration is due in large part to the matter that an axe doesn't really fundamentally have to change if you make the haft different, whereas for a sword you do have to mess with at least a portion of the blade.

As such you only primary worries for a gunhatchet are extra mass, malfunctions, the hollow haft being weaker, and catching yourself on mechanical parts. Even then those don't really compromise the axe part much.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm disappointed we never got a Garlean line of weapons. They've had Gunblade, Gunfists (Livia), Gunshield (Rhitatyn), Gunhammer (Nero), Gunspear (that lady from Endwalker)... let us use them!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

okay but did they try forging the blade out of lasers?

I love that in FFXIV lore the invention of the gunblade predates the invention of the gun lol

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Bruceski posted:

I'm disappointed we never got a Garlean line of weapons. They've had Gunblade, Gunfists (Livia), Gunshield (Rhitatyn), Gunhammer (Nero), Gunspear (that lady from Endwalker)... let us use them!

The 83 dungeon gives you magitech weaponry, at least, though not all of those.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zomborgon posted:

The 83 dungeon gives you magitech weaponry, at least, though not all of those.

That's chainsaws, not guns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zomborgon posted:

I've been told that, of all the real-life gunweapons built, the most practical was probably the gunhatchet. It was, effectively, a carbine with a very hefty axe-bayonet and a grip favoring the melee function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_sword#Similar_weapons

This consideration is due in large part to the matter that an axe doesn't really fundamentally have to change if you make the haft different, whereas for a sword you do have to mess with at least a portion of the blade.

As such you only primary worries for a gunhatchet are extra mass, malfunctions, the hollow haft being weaker, and catching yourself on mechanical parts. Even then those don't really compromise the axe part much.

I've also heard this, which is why the Palaka Gunblade in Vanaspati is my favorite gunblade model. It actually is a gunhatchet, and while FFXIV's gunblades are basically fantasy nonsense regardless, Gunbreaker's general combat style does actually suit a gunhatchet really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Zomborgon posted:

Pretty sure the bayonet wins the gunweapon practicality contest, seeing as they were standard issue for 350 years. Gunspears are real, and can hurt you.