Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

The US Government sent a food spy (Alexander Graham Bell's son in law) to Germany to steal their hops in 1901

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/smalltalk_fairchild-180967508/

It seems like he managed to charm the Bavarians into just giving some to him surreptitiously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQG7pwnZEw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

haveblue posted:

To be fair, drinking toilet paper does suck rear end

On the internet, there’s a video for anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-mWK_kcZMs

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

derp posted:

this is a real problem. i go to the 7-11 down the street and i can choose between pbr, bud, or 16 different ipas. i dont always want a 8% abv maximum HOPS OVERLOAD. but they stock what sells, so nothing to do about it. thanks ipa bros

this is the real reason there's all the IPA butt hurt, it's not that it's bad but it's like 80% of beers on tap when you go into a bar or when you're looking at 6 packs

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I definitely don't mind an IPA now and then but it is kinda exhausting to see how much more focus they get over all other options, especially since I certainly don't like them all the time.

It's nice to have a cheap beer or two that you still enjoy as a good fallback sometimes. :beerpal:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

yuengling used to be my fall back beer but the CEO is a dickhead and it gives me gout in my big left toe now

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

harmless schadenfreude. my wife has a guilty pleasure-- the taiwanese coldplay, aka. mayday.

so, when mayday's website announced a show at a 300 person roadhouse* in rural western pa (where my parents live) she got all excited and was already googling flights until i pointed out that:

a) mayday, who regularly sells out massive arenas in taiwan and mainland china, is probably not playing a single show in pennsylvania on their world tour
b) outside of the pittsburgh city limits, western pa has very few taiwanese speakers, certainly not enough in the 18-45 demographic to make a tour stop viable
c) mayday is definitely not huge in the greater slippery rock area.

*the venue in question:

she ended up writing the bassist on line and was told almost immediately via his social media team that this is definitely a case of their website being broken and scraping the wrong listings.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

NoiseAnnoys posted:

harmless schadenfreude. my wife has a guilty pleasure-- the taiwanese coldplay, aka. mayday.

so, when mayday's website announced a show at a 300 person roadhouse* in rural western pa (where my parents live) she got all excited and was already googling flights until i pointed out that:

a) mayday, who regularly sells out massive arenas in taiwan and mainland china, is probably not playing a single show in pennsylvania on their world tour
b) outside of the pittsburgh city limits, western pa has very few taiwanese speakers, certainly not enough in the 18-45 demographic to make a tour stop viable
c) mayday is definitely not huge in the greater slippery rock area.

*the venue in question:

she ended up writing the bassist on line and was told almost immediately via his social media team that this is definitely a case of their website being broken and scraping the wrong listings.

I had this exact scenario actually happen! Earlier this year I was photographing a tour for a kpop group of young girls (a few underage) and they ended up playing an actual biker bar near Tampa. I'm talking leather vest old dudes at the bar pounding beers the whole show wondering what the gently caress is going on in front of them while ~150 kids go wild. It was surreal.

The girls:

The bar:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Now recreate Blues Brothers with kpop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjB1qCxtfU&t=42s

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bottom Liner posted:

I had this exact scenario actually happen! Earlier this year I was photographing a tour for a kpop group of young girls (a few underage) and they ended up playing an actual biker bar near Tampa. I'm talking leather vest old dudes at the bar pounding beers the whole show wondering what the gently caress is going on in front of them while ~150 kids go wild. It was surreal.

The girls:

The bar:

:laffo:
I was a little bummed because the idea of the Taiwanese band showing up to a random lovely roadhouse seemed too funny to not happen, now I'm happy again

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bottom Liner posted:

The girls:

The bar:

This is incredible. How did the band feel about it? Is that photo of them at that show? Did they bring all those lights? I have so many questions. They could have turned that night into a documentary.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Goddamn seeing a hundred kids show up to a kpop band in a rural biker bar filled with confused regulars would be an experience in and of itself lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cable Guy posted:

I think you need to re-upload this. It skips and we miss a lot of the landing.
i think you need to empty your cache and redownload it, because it plays fine.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_n13gpfM8Ix1rdl9gm.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rzqm7u337R1u1i1ue.mp4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jnyboy/status/1706032819972039028

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The girls:

The bar:

this loving rules, lol.

sadly, mayday are way too big to make that kind of mistake, but gently caress, it would have been funny if they actual did it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Snowy posted:

This is incredible. How did the band feel about it? Is that photo of them at that show? Did they bring all those lights? I have so many questions. They could have turned that night into a documentary.

It was their last night of tour and in the US after a pretty grueling month, so they were pretty bonked and just trying to make it through the night. Didn't help that it was over 100 degrees and the place had no AC. Kids passed out before the show even started. They still put on a great performance though. That's all their lighting yeah, venue had nothing. Was a tough shoot but also a lot of fun and again, totally surreal experience. Few more pics from that night

The view from the back

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Sure is a good thing this video complies with thread rules because holy gently caress.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hippocrass posted:

Sure is a good thing this video complies with thread rules because holy gently caress.

do we have any proof that cloud of smoke didn't used to be a wedding guest? :stonklol:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Goddamn it’s like an EMP gun went off, it killed the music too

E- i think I agree with this reply, that seems a little too insane looking. I’d guess it was spiced up a little

https://twitter.com/paleophotopro/status/1706159726050881868?s=46&t=oql5ML5-7u4J72W8bn7HAw

Snowy has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Sep 25, 2023

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Those are high tension lines. :stare:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Snowy posted:

Goddamn it’s like an EMP gun went off, it killed the music too

E- i think I agree with this reply, that seems a little too insane looking. I’d guess it was spiced up a little

https://twitter.com/paleophotopro/status/1706159726050881868?s=46&t=oql5ML5-7u4J72W8bn7HAw

No, that comment is wrong. That's a lot of juice.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

doubt you basil m. gravanis? the m stands for "mehxpert."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ryqhihXqt51vxwhag.mp4

Mustang posted:

When it comes to craft beer, the rest of the world has a long way to catch up.
lol. lmao.

ekuNNN has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Sep 25, 2023

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Mustang posted:

When it comes to craft beer, the rest of the world has a long way to catch up.

What a quintessentially American post. Almost presidential in its ignorance, even.

The schadenfreude is on the rest of the world for having to accommodate these self important asshats, lol.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

NoiseAnnoys posted:

doubt you basil m. gravanis? the m stands for "mehxpert."

The best part about schad threads is people arguing over videos being fake

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Red Rox posted:

The best part about schad threads is people arguing over videos being fake

No it's actually arguing about beer imperialism and IPAs (actually, both suck)

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Dillbag posted:

No it's actually arguing about beer imperialism and IPAs (actually, both suck)

No, it's arguing about arguing

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There's way more derail here but significantly less people insisting that schadenfreude content is just Ow My Balls videos so it's a wash for me

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/6FBNPts.mp4

If all the people that whined about derails actually posted schad, the ratio would be better.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I ordered a hot dog roller off of the internet while recovering from anesthesia. This is a problem. It is an expensive one with a bun drawer

freeedr has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Sep 25, 2023

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I love the personal schad

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If all the people that whined about derails actually posted schad, the ratio would be better.

See that's exactly what I'm talking about. "Posting schad" doesn't have to be inlining an America's Funniest Home Videos clip to be thread relevant

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

freeedr posted:

I ordered a hot dog roller off of the internet while recovering from anesthesia. This is a problem. It is an expensive one with a bun drawer

set up a hotdog stand in your front yard

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

And yet, your post about it will do naught but encourage more derail posting.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

freeedr posted:

I was recovering from anesthesia and saw that one of my friends had posted a snapchat of her new haircut. Thinking that I feel fine and in control of my faculties I commented something along the lines of "hey, cute bngas". Then after I sent that I realized that I had spelled bangs wrong so to fix it I meant to say that I just came out of anesthesia and I'm a little loopy but what I actually sent was "Cute bangs, I just came"

They were very cute bangs I guess

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

on the alligator theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy--3xwDMUQ

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Nr31Lv6H8

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That yelp is almost exactly the Half-Life scientist one :lol:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

freeedr posted:

Spend less money on hotdog rollers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Blitter posted:

What a quintessentially American post. Almost presidential in its ignorance, even.

The schadenfreude is on the rest of the world for having to accommodate these self important asshats, lol.

Nah, I've done quite a bit of travelling abroad and the variety of craft beer I have to choose from overseas is significantly less than what I can find here in Seattle.

You should come over here and try some, friends.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

This needs to be dubbed over with the audio of the kid who chugs a La Croix and then slams his face into his garage door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the ipa fad might have once been grassroots hobby thing, but isnt largely a top down Big Farm thing because hops are basically edible weeds that grow well and easy and have decent RoI?