Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

Anyone else just sit back and watch a shitshow unfold, but refuse to get involved because it'll make your life hell too?

Yes I read this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I actually like doing things, but we've made it all so miserable that I try my best to stay away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

Anyone else just sit back and watch a shitshow unfold, but refuse to get involved because it'll make your life hell too?

It takes a few years of experience to reach this point, and it’s worth the effort

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Yea the entirety of my last job. It was always doomed as a company so I wasn’t gonna put in the effort. It worked out! I got paid, had 2 jobs for a bit and left before it all went to mega poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real skill is to identify the shitshows that everyone knows is not your job, so if you speak up with an offer to help they're all "no but thanks, I got this" and everyone sees you as a helpful team member. Even better if you can offer data or advice that's sort of useful but not really.

Obviously this depends on the work culture, if people will happily dump poo poo on you so they can escape it keep your dang mouth shut.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

skipdogg posted:

Yeah that's my entire job

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

skipdogg posted:

I'm currently looking to extricate myself from a poo poo show of a project, not looking forward to that. Ugh.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Being fired but still employed, I get to watch my former coworkers flail around with things that would be easy for me, but I was let go because my skills and experience aren't needed by the organization, so I just sit back and :munch: while I apply for other jobs on company time.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

skipdogg posted:

This is also my entire job

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I have senior on my title so all poo poo rolls downhill to me.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Bluejeans was the first :airquote: cloud :airquote: video bridging service. Before that, all bridging was done on specific individual MCUs. Bluejeans was pretty good for what it was, I had customers using back in 2011, but they're not competing against RMX 2000s / MSE 8000s anymore.

Also MS Teams sucks poo poo as a PBX, just like SfB/Lync/OCS before it. At a certain level it seems like MS simply doesn't care about basic PBX stuff like line monitoring, common area phones, etc.

The elephant in the room w/r/t telephony is that :ssh: nobody needs or wants a phone on their desk :ssh:. The Norwegian HQ of the collab company I used to work for didnt have a PBX in any of its European offices, everyone used their company-issued cell phone. (:ssh: also a better/cleaner solution for PSAP e911 stuff :ssh:) Put another way, when everyone was sent home for COVID in 2020, how many brought their handsets with them?

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 25, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

My big problem with that quest was why wasn’t he in a wheelchair?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
honestly we should just obsolete the phone system altogether. who the gently caress makes phone calls in 2023 besides luddites and olds

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bluejeans sort of forgot what they were - they got into a position of being one of the only Google-approved providers of a service that would let people use H.323 rooms with Meet, and were there early on with doing the same for Skype for Business Online. Then they completely fumbled it by having the sales channel be “please make an enquiry and sit through a presentation and then we might give you a price, by the way it’s only software but there is a professional services fee as well as a contract period” and people saw that throwing their old VC hardware in the bin and buying a Teams Room or whatever was the better value option. I think at one point they had a licensing scheme that was based on how many employees you had that might want to book a meeting, rather than anything sane like a per meeting room price.

tokin opposition posted:

honestly we should just obsolete the phone system altogether. who the gently caress makes phone calls in 2023 besides luddites and olds

Yes but also some companies are really poo poo when it comes to getting help from them - given the choice between a phone call or sending a Facebook message I’ll pick the phone call. The way companies desperately try to avoid having anything resembling a support email linked to a ticketing system in favour of live chat or sharing customer data on a third party platform ran by an emerald heir is infuriating. I have a specific issue that isn’t time sensitive and will need to be escalated, a live chat is pointless here.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 25, 2023

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

Bluejeans was the first :airquote: cloud :airquote: video bridging service. Before that, all bridging was done on specific individual MCUs. Bluejeans was pretty good for what it was, I had customers using back in 2011, but they're not competing against RMX 2000s / MSE 8000s anymore.

Also MS Teams sucks poo poo as a PBX, just like SfB/Lync/OCS before it. At a certain level it seems like MS simply doesn't care about basic PBX stuff like line monitoring, common area phones, etc.

The elephant in the room w/r/t telephony is that :ssh: nobody needs or wants a phone on their desk :ssh:. The Norwegian HQ of the collab company I used to work for didnt have a PBX in any of its European offices, everyone used their company-issued cell phone. (:ssh: also a better/cleaner solution for PSAP e911 stuff :ssh:) Put another way, when everyone was sent home for COVID in 2020, how many brought their handsets with them?

The best thing about moving to my new company was finding out we used Teams for phones, but don't actually have phone numbers. We can do in-app calling to other people in the company, but no one external can call me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Put another way, when everyone was sent home for COVID in 2020, how many brought their handsets with them?

The employee database still tracks my primary number as an extension for a desk I have not visited in four years in a state I left last year.

Last time I bothered to check the voice mail was completely empty.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

entire industry i work in functions off asking for phone calls (and never picking up naturally)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

xzzy posted:

The employee database still tracks my primary number as an extension for a desk I have not visited in four years in a state I left last year.

Last time I bothered to check the voice mail was completely empty.

I just saw this article posted today and did a complete :wtf:

Someone seriously wrote this in 2023? This was the "new" etiquette in basically 2005.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Been my etiquette since I first got a phone in the 90s.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a desk phone that actually has a direct public phone number. If you call it, you get a message that you should contact me via some other method, then hangs up on you. No voicemail at all.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I still use my desk phone since I have a good headset for it and can wander around with it while on a call. Its getting a lot less use since we've moved to Teams though.

Tomorrow I'm hitting road for another meeting support thing, its an 8ish hour drive, we've received almost 0 information about the AV situation there. By the time we get there, we'll have maybe 1-2 hours to figure things out, and a little time in the morning. Then we just kinda exist there for the rest of the day providing our Make Computers Work field. Then we drive back Thursday.

Its a giant waste of time, but what the hell, I get paid by hour if I'm fixing major problems or staring off into space.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 26, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Have my AWS SAA scheduled for Thursday. Super nervous but I've studied off and on for almost the entire year and I got the exam cost half off so what the hell. Practice quizzes aren't going great but I'm surprised how much I've retained through this crazy loving year.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I have a desk phone that actually has a direct public phone number. If you call it, you get a message that you should contact me via some other method, then hangs up on you. No voicemail at all.

that is how i set up our entire phone system. you get a bunch of department options but it just says : email us at x email.

also we still have a physical land line that i merely did a redirect to our VOIP number because we didn't want to change our actual number to gently caress our customers up (and also because i could NOT be hosed to learn to set up a redirect any other way)

looking forward to the day someone unplugs the one phone the redirect is on

e: thinking about it i did not test to see what would happen when i set it up. interesting

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

Have my AWS SAA scheduled for Thursday. Super nervous but I've studied off and on for almost the entire year and I got the exam cost half off so what the hell. Practice quizzes aren't going great but I'm surprised how much I've retained through this crazy loving year.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. And if not, it's no big deal to retake.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Reoxygenation posted:

that is how i set up our entire phone system. you get a bunch of department options but it just says : email us at x email.

also we still have a physical land line that i merely did a redirect to our VOIP number because we didn't want to change our actual number to gently caress our customers up (and also because i could NOT be hosed to learn to set up a redirect any other way)

looking forward to the day someone unplugs the one phone the redirect is on

e: thinking about it i did not test to see what would happen when i set it up. interesting

You can do an LNP port to your VOIP provider and not pay double rates/forwarding charges

also re: phone chat - with Kari's Law and the Ray Baum act, a bunch of offices are trying to retrofit E911/PSAP stuff to ancient phone systems. Meanwhile, everyone has a cell phone that does it much better and faster than most on-prem products. Why even have a PBX, spend the money on cell micro sites.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

oh hey cool to know, will make a note somewhere and maybe get around to it eventually once stuff stops breaking internally

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I just saw this article posted today and did a complete :wtf:

Someone seriously wrote this in 2023? This was the "new" etiquette in basically 2005.

If I'm not expecting your call and you're not one of a very few handfuls of people, I'm not picking up. But leaving a voicemail is fine because it's just going to get turned into a text message and I'll read it. If it's important enough, I might even call you back!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If someone is calling me I expect someone died.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

An 8 hour drive :gonk:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The new org that purchased us is moving everyone over to different health insurance. Apparently the new rates are so expensive the org is gonna do a salary adjustment for everyone to cover the change.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Blurb3947 posted:

Awesome! I took that a couple years ago. Pro-tip, if you find a question you can't figure out the answer, make a note of the number and a couple keywords. A lot of questions overlap and the question for another one may give you the answer.

Is question 1) a customer wants to do X with an ELB which one is possible?

But then question 2) asks "when would you configure an ELB to do Y"

And then it's clear that the Y from 2 is exactly an answer in 1 and it closes the loop in your brain.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://earthly.dev/blog/devops-glossary/

quote:

DevOps Engineer: An ops person who abandoned problem solving and bash for ‘orchestrating solutions’ and YAML. Specializes in ‘breaking down silos,’ aka forwarding Slack messages between the Dev and Ops teams.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That entire article is accurate

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I have senior on my title so all poo poo rolls downhill to me.

We have a cloud architect job opening if you feel like going into an office 4 days a week and probably making less money than you do now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The idea that a cloud architect specifically needs to be in the office seems completely insane.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our architect team is required to be in the office 3 days a week purely due to the insecurities of their director.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

guppy posted:

The idea that a cloud architect specifically needs to be in the office seems completely insane.

I don't disagree. CEO want's people in the office 4 days a week, all job posting have the requirement in them now. We've totally removed the word Hybrid from job types. You are either remote, or in office. Hybrid no longer exists.

No one in the company is happy about it, but the CEO makes the rules.

It's even funnier when you consider part of the company is a bank with no physical branches.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zoom doing RTO is one of the funnier ones

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Awesome! I took that a couple years ago. Pro-tip, if you find a question you can't figure out the answer, make a note of the number and a couple keywords. A lot of questions overlap and the question for another one may give you the answer.

Is question 1) a customer wants to do X with an ELB which one is possible?

But then question 2) asks "when would you configure an ELB to do Y"

And then it's clear that the Y from 2 is exactly an answer in 1 and it closes the loop in your brain.

I am almost positive I squeaked by on a pass using this very thing when I took mine earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Zoom doing RTO is one of the funnier ones

I just want someone to just be honest and say "Look, the CEO and a few other executives fuckin hate their wife and kids and thus we're all coming back to the office to also not totally waste the money we paid for this office no one likes."