Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fart Amplifier posted:

The problem is that procedure is more often used against marginalized people and more often used for rich people. "The law" is not applied fairly.

It's more that rich people can hire good lawyers who do a better job of negotiating procedure. Overworked public defenders do what they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

It's more that rich people can hire good lawyers who do a better job of negotiating procedure. Overworked public defenders do what they can.

That's just saying what I said differently.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can't assume a crime was committed before it's proven

Federal provisions against criminal activity aren't circular; they don't only come into play after a conviction. The indictment alleges that Clark urged Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen and Acting Deputy Attorney General Richard Donoghue to sign a document that falsely stated that the Justice Department had identified “significant concerns” that could impact the results of the 2020 presidential election in Georgia and multiple other states. Clark then asked Rosen and Donoghue to send the document to several Georgia state officials, including Gov. Brian Kemp.

If Clark's defense is that Trump ordered him to do that, and a reasonable person would see this as an order to commit a crime, Clark has the positive duty to refuse that order, and so following that order cannot be part of his official duties.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

saintonan posted:

If Clark's defense is that Trump ordered him to do that, and a reasonable person would see this as an order to commit a crime, Clark has the positive duty to refuse that order, and so following that order cannot be part of his official duties.

Please post evidence that the courts can presume guilt for these purposes.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Fart Amplifier posted:

I didn't say anything about guilt.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

saintonan posted:

I didn't say anything about guilt.

Oh ok then please provide evidence showing a court will consider that actions taken were criminal and thus not official duties before a criminal trial about those actions.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

Oh ok then please provide evidence showing a court will consider that actions taken were criminal and thus not official duties before a criminal trial about those actions.

The Scooter Libby trial is probably a decent analog given he also claimed he was just following orders.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

saintonan posted:

Federal provisions against criminal activity aren't circular; they don't only come into play after a conviction. The indictment alleges that Clark urged Acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen and Acting Deputy Attorney General Richard Donoghue to sign a document that falsely stated that the Justice Department had identified “significant concerns” that could impact the results of the 2020 presidential election in Georgia and multiple other states. Clark then asked Rosen and Donoghue to send the document to several Georgia state officials, including Gov. Brian Kemp.

If Clark's defense is that Trump ordered him to do that, then that invites the prosecution to probe into how the President ended up personally giving orders to the Acting Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division of the Justice Department, especially when Clark's superiors at the DoJ had already rejected the measures in question, and especially since DoJ policy is that the president should not be communicating with lower-level officials without first clearing it with top DoJ leadership.

Moreover, Clark has yet to produce any evidence that Trump ordered him to do it, nor has he presented a coherent legal theory for how the president would have the authority to order him to do that. Remember, the president doesn't have unlimited authority to tell federal officials to do anything he wants - his power comes from federal law. The list of things the president is allowed to order someone to do is, while expansive, still clearly limited.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can't assume a crime was committed before it's proven

If it works like UCMJ that doesn't matter. '"I didn't know it was illegal because my boss told me to do it" is not a defense. It is still illegal.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Similarly, I don't think the President can just order the DoJ to investigate things he doesn't like. He definitely shouldn't be able to tell the DoJ to say they found things they didn't find.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Fart Amplifier posted:

Let's say I'm a federal government official under Trump. Trump orders me to go to Georgia and murder Brad Raffensperger. Is that part of my job as a federal official?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fart Amplifier posted:

The problem is that procedure is more often used against marginalized people and more often used for rich people. "The law" is not applied fairly.

Sure, but you don't hear about people being convicted on a technicality remotely as much as being let off "on a technicality" and using that in a perjorative sense. I think it's great if someone gets let off on a technicality - the law functioned there as it should.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

Let's say I'm a federal government official under Trump. Trump orders me to go to Georgia and murder Brad Raffensperger. Is that part of my job as a federal official?

No, but not because it's a crime (hell, I don't think murder is even a federal crime). It's because the executive branch doesn't have the legal authority to commit a premeditated summary execution of an American citizen without any due process.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

StumblyWumbly posted:

Similarly, I don't think the President can just order the DoJ to investigate things he doesn't like. He definitely shouldn't be able to tell the DoJ to say they found things they didn't find.

Most of our system is based on handshake agreements. They can do whatever they want if nobody chooses to stop them.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
IANAL but I thought "a crime" means "something that is against the law; in other words: illegal."

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

No, but not because it's a crime (hell, I don't think murder is even a federal crime). It's because the executive branch doesn't have the legal authority to commit a premeditated summary execution of an American citizen without any due process.

Killing Americans related to muslim terrorists is a common enough occurrence recently... has Biden had an American executed overseas yet, or just allies in Kabul?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Based on the past several pages "IANAL" should be the new thread title.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

If it works like UCMJ that doesn't matter. '"I didn't know it was illegal because my boss told me to do it" is not a defense. It is still illegal.

The navy dealt with this by teaching us their procedure for not following illegal or immoral orders, and the navy procedure for civil disobedience.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Sarcastro posted:

This is a particular peeve of mine (lawyer, although not remotely involved in criminal law in any way) - you'll very often see people saying, or even reporting, that someone "got off on a technicality". If it's being used in regard to a court proceeding, "technicality" means "the law." It's annoying because it's intended to make it sound like procedure isn't important.

Related: when people were dismissive of Trump's underling's prosecutions because "those are just process crimes"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mutata posted:

Based on the past several pages "IANAL" should be the new thread title.

We ANAL

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The navy dealt with this by teaching us their procedure for not following illegal or immoral orders, and the navy procedure for civil disobedience.

yeah idk how on earth someone gets the idea that an unlawful order vs a lawful order is some hitherto unknown legal concept. it's a pretty bedrock legal concept

PortobelloPirate
Jul 5, 2023

Sarcastro posted:

This is a particular peeve of mine (lawyer, although not remotely involved in criminal law in any way) - you'll very often see people saying, or even reporting, that someone "got off on a technicality". If it's being used in regard to a court proceeding, "technicality" means "the law." It's annoying because it's intended to make it sound like procedure isn't important.

How about when that technicality is; the prosecution hosed up, like in the Bill Cosby case?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What date does Chutkin have to respond to Jack Smiths request for a limited gag order?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zotix posted:

What date does Chutkin have to respond to Jack Smiths request for a limited gag order?

Not sure if this has an answer or not but generally speaking judges set deadlines for other people, not themselves.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Zotix posted:

Trump gets 14 days to file a response (which is up later this week, I think), and the government gets 7 days to file a reply to the response unless otherwise ordered. The judge rules when she feels like it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Actually if the victim of a murder is a federal officer, agent, or judge (or the murder violates a federal law) there are provisions for charging the accused at the federal level for said murder.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Cannon finally set a Garcia hearing date for October 12.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Angry_Ed posted:

Actually if the victim of a murder is a federal officer, agent, or judge (or the murder violates a federal law) there are provisions for charging the accused at the federal level for said murder.

I also believe there is funky things to do with the jurisdiction of murder as a Federal crime.

Some Law Professor theorised about some kind of gaming you could do between the jurisdiction of murder at a State and Federal level and then turned it into a Thriller novel.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/01/16/is-yellowstones-zone-of-death-the-ideal-place-to-get-away-with-murder/

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Fart Amplifier posted:

If I order you to murder a guy “Deuce hasn’t been convicted of hiring me as a hit man yet” is not a defense for you carrying that order out, the gently caress are you on?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Doing a crime is not part of your job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fart Amplifier posted:

if I am charged with doing X and my argument is "the president told me to do X" the court is permitted to say "x is a crime and the president isn't permitted to order you to do it"

you may have confessed, but the court hasn't presumed guilt. they've read what you said.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

PortobelloPirate posted:

How about when that technicality is; the prosecution hosed up, like in the Bill Cosby case?

That's still the law operating as it's supposed to as well, so see prior answer.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

evilweasel posted:

if I am charged with doing X and my argument is "the president told me to do X" the court is permitted to say "x is a crime and the president isn't permitted to order you to do it"

you may have confessed, but the court hasn't presumed guilt. they've read what you said.
In this case in particular we know that Clark actually did some level of investigation into if it was a lawful order when he requested briefings from the IC community on the evidence of voter fraud.

That he continued to go forward once Trump dangled the AG position and knowing he was full of poo poo and was only stymied when the acting AG and the rest of the senior staff of DoJ threatened to resign en mass is not going to look good for him at trial.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Deuce posted:

If I order you to murder a guy “Deuce hasn’t been convicted of hiring me as a hit man yet” is not a defense for you carrying that order out, the gently caress are you on?

You're confused. None of these arguments are being presented to defend against the crime. They are to determine if there is a colorable argument to be made that the facts involved in the case revolve around his federal duties. He is likely to argue that he did not commit a crime and that the actions he did take fell under his federal duties.

evilweasel posted:

I mean, of course it's a hard hill to climb if he just admits to the crime. Presumably his lawyers will attempt the removal hearing without confessing? This is one of the reasons that we want these removal hearings. The stronger case they try to put on for federal removal, the more they are likely going to have to testify on their own behalf (asserting your fifth amendment rights can be held against you) and the more they are likely to self incriminate.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Clark already made his arguments for removal to federal court, and they were essentially based on the idea that any request by Trump was automatically valid regardless of legality, policy, or authority. He also offered little in the way of evidence substantiating himself. The prosecution argued that racketeering and fraud are not part of his official duties, and in fact his role in the DOJ civil division precluded any authority over electoral crimes in the first place. In short, even if he believed that creating fake documents was a legal order, he had no authority to be acting in that role to begin with.

quote:

Clark is charged with two counts in the DA's indictment: the overall racketeering charge, and an attempt to commit false statements and writings. That charge relates to the letter Clark sought to send to Georgia state officials, which claimed that the Justice Department had "identified significant concerns that may have impacted the outcome of the election" in multiple states including Georgia.

His attempt to send the letter was thwarted by other senior officials who disagreed with his view, according to the indictment.

In a pre-trial motion urging the judge to deny Clark's removal request, Fulton County prosecutors noted that Clark worked in the civil division of the DOJ, where he had "no role in or authority over elections or criminal investigations," they said.

"Although [Clark] exceeded the scope of his own authority and the authority of the entire Department of Justice, he argues to this court that he was somehow acting under color of office and taking actions that were necessary and proper to his duties," Willis' office wrote. "The defendant's claims, like the one central to his letter, are baseless."

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/jeffrey-clark-seeking-removal-georgia-election-interference-case/story?id=103277768

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

You're confused. None of these arguments are being presented to defend against the crime. They are to determine if there is a colorable argument to be made that the facts involved in the case revolve around his federal duties. He is likely to argue that he did not commit a crime and that the actions he did take fell under his federal duties.

I mean, of course it's a hard hill to climb if he just admits to the crime. Presumably his lawyers will attempt the removal hearing without confessing? This is one of the reasons that we want these removal hearings. The stronger case they try to put on for federal removal, the more they are likely going to have to testify on their own behalf (asserting your fifth amendment rights can be held against you) and the more they are likely to self incriminate.

The thing you don't get is, if you're claiming that you should be tried in federal court for the crime you are being acccused of because the president told you to do it... you are still actively saying that the president told you to do a crime which is never in your purview of duty. He can't attempt this without this, so it's a literally impossible hill.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

To give a refresher on Jeffrey Clark:

Former DOJ officials detail threatening to resign en masse in meeting with Trump https://www.npr.org/2022/06/23/1107217243/former-doj-officials-detail-threatening-resign-en-masse-trump-meeting

quote:

"I said, 'Well, Mr. President, you're right that I'm not going to allow the Justice Department to do anything to try to overturn the election. That's true," Rosen recalled. "'But the reason for that is because that's what's consistent with the facts and the law, and that's what's required under the Constitution.'"

Donoghue eventually joined the meeting and recalled Trump asking, "What do I have to lose?" in replacing Rosen with Clark.

"It was actually a good opening because I said, 'Mr. President, you have a great deal to lose,'" he testified. "I began to explain to him what he had to lose and what the country had to lose and what the department had to lose, and this was not in anyone's best interest. That conversation went on for some time. Everyone essentially chimed in with their own thoughts, all of which were consistent about how damaging this would be to the country."

The conversation turned to whether Clark was qualified to run the Justice Department.

"It was a heated conversation. I thought it was useful to point out to the president that Jeff Clark simply didn't have the skills, the ability and the experience to run the department," Donoghue testified.

"I said, 'Mr. President, you're talking about putting a man in that seat who has never tried a criminal case, who's never conducted a criminal investigation. He's telling you that he's going to take charge of the department — 115,000 employees, including the entire FBI — and turn the place on a dime and conduct nationwide criminal investigations that will produce results in a matter of days. It's impossible. It's absurd. It's not going to happen and it's going to fail.'"

New details emerge of Oval Office confrontation three days before Jan. 6 https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/14/inside-explosive-oval-office-confrontation-three-days-before-jan-6/

quote:

“Well, I’ve done a lot of very complicated appeals and civil litigation, environmental litigation, and things like that,” Clark said, according to Donoghue’s deposition.

“That’s right,” Donoghue said he responded. “You’re an environmental lawyer. How about you go back to your office, and we’ll call you when there’s an oil spill.”

Clark maintaining that he was performing official duties as they pertain to the attempted overthrow of the Republic is outrageous backwards and forwards--"I just followed orders that I suggested giving" isn't a legal defense, and crafting a legal justification for any of it wasn't his job. Clark discovered that if he enthusiastically supported whatever the president wanted, the president would elevate him as far as he could get away with, until everyone else told him that the DOJ would collapse under Clark.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kchama posted:

The thing you don't get is, if you're claiming that you should be tried in federal court for the crime you are being acccused of because the president told you to do it... you are still actively saying that the president told you to do a crime which is never in your purview of duty. He can't attempt this without this, so it's a literally impossible hill.

No, I do get that you're saying that. However, it's not true. He is not actively admitting to a crime because his defense is that what he did is not a crime.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fart Amplifier posted:

No, I do get that you're saying that. However, it's not true. He is not actively admitting to a crime because his defense is that what he did is not a crime.

You’re misconstruing the issue. It’s not based on anyone admitting to a crime - it’s that in order to argue for removal Clark needed to make a valid case that his actions were a necessary part of his role as a federal official. His argument was that Trump ordered him to do a variety of specific things. The prosecution’s argument is that the order was invalid (because those things were clearly illegal) and outside of his role in any case (because he had an unrelated job). The judge’s role here will be to determine whether Clark’s argument is reasonable under the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Kaal posted:

You’re misconstruing the issue. It’s not based on anyone admitting to a crime

You literally said that he was actively admitting the president told him to commit a crime. He is not admitting that.