Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

oh jeez they probably can find galicia, they are just so ideologically anti-communist they will defend anyone who fought the USSR

the anti-communism is so strong they are an apologist for people who want to genocide them

yeah someone who unironically says capital-B Bloodlands is completely lost

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

Also Ordinary Men is not just a good work of Holocaust history it's a very good example of history as a discipline.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rambo what are we up to now? 7?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Dokapon Findom posted:

That one comic is 100% correct though

we've just spent all day saying we do not, in fact, "gotta hand it to them"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im getting stonetoss tattooed on my forehead

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

stephenthinkpad posted:

Rambo what are we up to now? 7?

rambo first blood part come and see

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
The argument that eastern euros had to make horrible choices about collaborating to survive would be a lot stronger if they were inviting guys who said "it was a terrible time and my actions were shameful" rather than Mr "1943 was the best year of my life, I am proud of my service to my homeland fighting the judeo-bolshevik menace"

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Homeless Friend posted:

im getting stonetoss tattooed on my forehead

yeah i know you are

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

And it's not going to matter in the slightest :shepicide:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

loving hell the direst lmao

just spam this at the twitter warriors

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shot:

https://twitter.com/mmoskvit/status/1706424105023451410

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/mmoskvit/status/1706439035059577204

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The argument that eastern euros had to make horrible choices about collaborating to survive would be a lot stronger if they were inviting guys who said "it was a terrible time and my actions were shameful" rather than Mr "1943 was the best year of my life, I am proud of my service to my homeland fighting the judeo-bolshevik menace"

I highly recommend you read The Good Old Days: The Holocaust as Seen by Its Perpetrators and Bystanders

Because let me tell you, they decided they felt bad in the mid 1960's when their kids started causing problems and - here's a fun parallel - when the Soviets started raising the issue. Soviet "propaganda", really just pointing out how many West German and other European politicians, military leaders etc. had been Political, caused a fairly major crisis in West German society because it was irrefutable. This sparked a reaction not dissimilar from the past 48 hours in Canada, the difference being that the West German youth were actually pretty pissed off and as the Cold War wasn't won yet, the issue actually had to be grappled with.

The final chapter of Soldaten, the book that shocked Germany a few years back, concludes by directly comparing the Wehrmacht and IDF and finding 1:1 parallels with atrocity, dehumanization of the enemy (and civilians) etc. The IDF is studied in detail, as a way to show these things aren't unique to Germans but to governments that employ their military in the same sort of ideological project of occupation, domination, etc.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Context for Yanks

lmao they knew what they were doing saying "concentration camp memoir" titled "one of the 15 million"

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

Ordinary Men executive summary: The Nazis who rounded up and shot Jews en masse in Poland were ordinary men, not fanatical Hitlerites who loved killing people. They justified mass murder in various ways - "it's my job", "if I didn't do it, someone else would have to", and "I don't want to look like a coward in front of my friends". Most of these troops were psychologically disturbed by repeatedly murdering helpless people, to the extent that Nazi leadership was concerned about mental health attrition reducing the effectiveness of their death squads. This was a factor that led them to gassing victims to death rather than lining them up and shooting them. The number of troops who decided to escape or defect in order to stop the mass murder was surprisingly small.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Endman posted:

And it's not going to matter in the slightest :shepicide:

Not in the press and the NAFO sphere but actual historians never bought on to the train in the first place. Applebaum is considered an embarrassment specifically.

If there is a shift it is on the fringes of the core and the periphery.

That said, this thread can go to a conference and start screaming at dudes. It is fun.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
Applebaum and Snyder are taught in university courses so the damage is already done.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

It's not even going to matter on certain corners of this dead discussion forum.

:matters:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

That said, this thread can go to a conference and start screaming at dudes. It is fun.

I specifically can't which kills me because I do have conferences on my calendar that will put me in proximity to them

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ardennes posted:

Not in the press and the NAFO sphere but actual historians never bought on to the train in the first place. Applebaum is considered an embarrassment specifically.

If there is a shift it is on the fringes of the core and the periphery.

There are plenty of actual historians that bought hook, line and sinker onto the "Bloodlands" idea, and the term itself has been a feature of the historiographical lexicon ever since.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
there is zero moral difference between supporting the SS and Supporting the IDF. Zero.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Bad news for Ukraine, Western Media (Forbes sicko) reports on Russia kocking out Ukrianian tanks

The Russians Just Knocked Out A Fifth Of The Ukrainians’ Best Strv 122 Tanks

reminder that a fifth of the ukrainians best strv 122 tanks is. .. .

Two (2) tanks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Two (2) tanks

Achtung kapitan the uber Panzer is broken!

Now how will we drive to the Canada parliament for our standing ovation?

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
Get in a truck from the convoy obviously

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
**edit - Ok you know what I feel awful having posted that so I'm taking it away

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Sep 26, 2023

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OctaMurk posted:

Two (2) tanks

lol thank you

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

The final chapter of Soldaten, the book that shocked Germany a few years back, concludes by directly comparing the Wehrmacht and IDF and finding 1:1 parallels with atrocity, dehumanization of the enemy (and civilians) etc. The IDF is studied in detail, as a way to show these things aren't unique to Germans but to governments that employ their military in the same sort of ideological project of occupation, domination, etc.

That's because the IDF originated from Revisionist Zionist paramilitary organizations like Irgun, Lehi, even Haganah (although Ben Gurion et al tried distancing themselves from Begin, Shamir, Jabotinsky, in particular their open praising of Mussolini and, to a lesser degree, Hitler).

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Here's an article from 2020.

Canada police investigate vandalism of monument to Nazi troops as hate crime

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Ukraine and Sweden - Hungary will not support Ukraine in any issue in international affairs until the language rights of ethnic Hungarians there are restored, amd Hungary was in no rush to ratify Sweden's NATO accession, flagging a further delay in a process that has been stranded in parliament since last year.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/hungary-pm-criticizes-ukraine-says-no-rush-ratify-swedens-nato-bid-2023-09-25/

Hungary PM criticizes Ukraine, says no rush to ratify Sweden's NATO bid
By Boldizsar Gyori and Krisztina Than
September 25, 2023 1:54 PM UTC · Updated 10 min ago

BUDAPEST, Sept 25 (Reuters) - Hungary will not support Ukraine in any issue in international affairs until the language rights of ethnic Hungarians there are restored, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban told parliament on Monday.

Orban also said Hungary was in no rush to ratify Sweden's NATO accession, flagging a further delay in a process that has been stranded in parliament since last year. Sweden's membership bid is on hold pending approval from Hungary and Turkey.

Hungary clashed with Ukraine over what it says are curbs on the rights of roughly 150,000 ethnic Hungarians to use their native tongue, especially in education, after Kyiv passed a law in 2017 restricting the use of minority languages in schools.

"They want to transform (Hungarian schools) into Ukrainian schools and if that does not work they want to close them," nationalist premier Orban said in his speech, adding that his government would fight for the rights of ethnic Hungarians in western Ukraine.

"We do not support Ukraine in any issue in the international scene until it restores the laws that guarantee the rights of Hungarians."

Orban's remarks come after EU chief Ursula von der Leyen set out a vision of an enlarged European Union that would include Ukraine earlier this month. EU countries are due to decide in December whether to allow Ukraine to begin accession negotiations - a move that would require unanimous backing of all the 27 countries in the bloc.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said after his election in 2019 that he believes it is necessary to prepare a draft law to protect the rights of minorities, particularly in the religious and linguistic spheres.

Getting the go-ahead for EU membership talks would be widely seen as a victory for Kyiv in its conflict with Moscow as it seeks not only to repel Russian forces but also to free itself from Russian geopolitical influence and strengthen ties with the West.

DELAY IN SWEDEN NATO BID

Hungary is a member of NATO and opposes Russia's invasion of Ukraine, but Orban, in power since 2010, has cultivated close relations with Russia and held back from criticising President Vladimir Putin. Hungary has refused to ship weapons to Ukraine.

Orban said Hungary was not in a rush to approve Sweden's bid to join NATO and that there was no threat to Sweden's security. Budapest has cited what it called undue allegations by Swedish politicians that it had eroded democratic rights.

"I wonder if there is something urgent that would force us to ratify Sweden's NATO bid. I cannot see any such circumstance," Orban said.

Orban told parliament on Monday that a plan by Brussels to wean Europe off Russian energy went against the interests of Europe and Hungary. Hungary is heavily exposed to Russian oil and gas supplies, but Orban said it had taken steps to diversify its supplies, citing recent talks with Qatar, Turkey and Azerbaijan on future gas shipments.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
why the gently caress would you make a security alliance where any member can veto a new member?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

there is zero moral difference between supporting the SS and Supporting the IDF. Zero.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Torpor posted:

why the gently caress would you make a security alliance where any member can veto a new member?

Because they're bound to defending said new member so the existing ones should have the right to block new members that they don't want to defend? :thunk:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
victor orban much like any other right wing reactionary is a cuck who will fall in line with america as long as he gets to oppress women and LGBTQ

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Horseshoe theory posted:

Because they're bound to defending said new member so the existing ones should have the right to block new members that they don't want to defend? :thunk:

then leave the alliance! the way it’s set up one bad egg can really gently caress poo poo up.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

free kirby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Torpor posted:

then leave the alliance! the way it’s set up one bad egg can really gently caress poo poo up.

Without the US there's no NATO. It's a load-bearing bad egg.