Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

emSparkly posted:

Cool stuff. Considering how they were the original publishers of Telltale's first big hit, the ad campaign they ran, and the gently caress huge library they had on offer, you'd think they'd be better remembered. Somehow I'm the only person I know who ever subscribed to it.

gametap was ftw. I remember them for being sort of the next in a series of publishers to get tricked by cyan into thinking uru was going to be a success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Asking again about a piece of "lost" media from 'classic' SA that I remember seeing: pictures of a skinny man in an Army uniform, with a slightly poo poo-eating grin, who had married a large woman. It must have been a Photoshop Phriday thing because there was a a Photoshop of the bride so that she was thinner and more conventionally attractive, and something about how that was the way she looked with "beer goggles". Not sure if the groom was a Goon or just some random schmo that was found online. Even though the jokes were pretty cruel I'm wondering if anyone else remembers this?

e: The picture was before my time. I lurked the forums quite a bit between roughly 2014-2016 before I actually joined, but this may have been before that period of time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 18, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.meme-arsenal.com/en/create/template/905491

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yes, thank you! I guess it wasn't an SA thing, then.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
so I don't really consider this a white whale, but it is something I would like to find: there was a show on what I think was network television between 5 and 10 years ago, although I want to say maybe closer to 5? I have really vague memories of this, but I saw one episode I think (maybe this was a movie?!?) but it took place in a kind of dystopian future, and for some reason there was a person hiding either themselves/other people/maybe a bomb or weapon or something? inside a truck that was going to be x-rayed at a checkpoint, and everyone was nervous about whether or not it would get through. I wish I remembered more details. I think aliens might have been involved somehow? I really remember thinking it was a cool idea at the time and wanting to see more but not ever getting around to it. and because my memory is so vague, it's been fruitless trying to look it up.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

hark posted:

so I don't really consider this a white whale, but it is something I would like to find: there was a show on what I think was network television between 5 and 10 years ago, although I want to say maybe closer to 5? I have really vague memories of this, but I saw one episode I think (maybe this was a movie?!?) but it took place in a kind of dystopian future, and for some reason there was a person hiding either themselves/other people/maybe a bomb or weapon or something? inside a truck that was going to be x-rayed at a checkpoint, and everyone was nervous about whether or not it would get through. I wish I remembered more details. I think aliens might have been involved somehow? I really remember thinking it was a cool idea at the time and wanting to see more but not ever getting around to it. and because my memory is so vague, it's been fruitless trying to look it up.

Are you perhaps thinking of Children of Men? It doesn’t feature aliens but it is very dystopian and has several instances of checkpoints and other interactions with security services as the protagonists try and smuggle themselves/other people, as you put it.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Sanford posted:

Are you perhaps thinking of Children of Men? It doesn’t feature aliens but it is very dystopian and has several instances of checkpoints and other interactions with security services as the protagonists try and smuggle themselves/other people, as you put it.

no I know that movie and it has a similar vibe as far as the dystopian aspect is concerned, but I'm kinda leaning toward it being a TV show. I can't remember if the people were hiding from aliens or they were some kind of lower class or both? I have done too much drugs in my life to remember things in great detail. I don't recommend it, unless you like having fun.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Falling Skies and Defiance were both sort of post-apoc sci fi TV shows with aliens involved, but on cable, that would be close to the window of time.

Revolution was on network TV but no aliens and a big deal about that show was the lack of tech in the post-apoc, from what I recall, so having an X-ray or a bomb seemed unlikely unless that's what made them both a big deal for the story of the episode.

If it was going back slightly further than 10 years: The V remake series. Not dystopian, but paranoia and conspiracy.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

JediTalentAgent posted:

Falling Skies and Defiance were both sort of post-apoc sci fi TV shows with aliens involved, but on cable, that would be close to the window of time.

Revolution was on network TV but no aliens and a big deal about that show was the lack of tech in the post-apoc, from what I recall, so having an X-ray or a bomb seemed unlikely unless that's what made them both a big deal for the story of the episode.

If it was going back slightly further than 10 years: The V remake series. Not dystopian, but paranoia and conspiracy.

just from checking the wikis on these, I have a feeling it's one of them. Thanks!!!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yes, thank you! I guess it wasn't an SA thing, then.

It may well have been, I just wanted to find the picture fastest and get the credit :)

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

CA ~2004-2006 There was a youtube video titled "Buttholes" of two HS kids who made a silly home video playing these exaggerated characters. One was always laying "traps" for the other one and when one of them was caught by an invisible trap, he'd just wig out on the floor screeching. One of them was named Will "Will is always laying traps for me" says the victim

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Hammu-rob-i posted:

CA ~2004-2006 There was a youtube video titled "Buttholes" of two HS kids who made a silly home video playing these exaggerated characters. One was always laying "traps" for the other one and when one of them was caught by an invisible trap, he'd just wig out on the floor screeching. One of them was named Will "Will is always laying traps for me" says the victim

Slowed-down Cotton Eyed Joe in the soundtrack right? bouts of 60+ seconds of solid cackling and leaping from one foot to the other? I think it might've been "rear end HOLES" not "BUTT HOLES". Feel free to search that on youtube until you find it or die of old age.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkqfIjoq3Y

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

hark posted:

no I know that movie and it has a similar vibe as far as the dystopian aspect is concerned, but I'm kinda leaning toward it being a TV show. I can't remember if the people were hiding from aliens or they were some kind of lower class or both? I have done too much drugs in my life to remember things in great detail. I don't recommend it, unless you like having fun.

I think this was Colony - in one of the later seasons I recall they caught an alien and his it in a truck, and had to get it past the alien/human dystopia shock troop check points.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Isolationist posted:

I think this was Colony - in one of the later seasons I recall they caught an alien and his it in a truck, and had to get it past the alien/human dystopia shock troop check points.

oh poo poo this is it! I just looked it up and I recognize the actors! thanks goon!!!

def still gonna check out those other shows too though cause I enjoy this genre.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Thank you! been looking for over 5yrs

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Anyone got the full original dirty cowboy vid the SA recreation was based on? Original is taken down from YouTube, I found just the dance in a 59 second clip on tiktok but I'm looking for the original one Abraham posted with the short intro about rock n roll and the cut off ending at some mall food court, should be about 1min40s.

(I was listening to a dj play something last night and part of some electronica she played sounded just like the dance song, which took me 15min to remember, and now I wanna see the full original again)

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

beep by grandpa posted:

Anyone got the full original dirty cowboy vid the SA recreation was based on? Original is taken down from YouTube, I found just the dance in a 59 second clip on tiktok but I'm looking for the original one Abraham posted with the short intro about rock n roll and the cut off ending at some mall food court, should be about 1min40s.

(I was listening to a dj play something last night and part of some electronica she played sounded just like the dance song, which took me 15min to remember, and now I wanna see the full original again)

its from that really long running channel ... maybe "everything is terrible"? like transfers of weird old vhs stuff. the dirty cowboy clip, with its weird fade to the mall food court, was part of a longer compilation they did.

also if you just want some soundalike stuff it's just "italo disco"

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Is that best of the weekend web fart poetry video available anywhere? The one with MAJOR SNIFFING. Haven’t been able to find it in years.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

There was a comment on the goon remake video from the original producers of the video/music. They put a link to a bandcamp album of all the songs from the video, California Big Hunks.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is that best of the weekend web fart poetry video available anywhere? The one with MAJOR SNIFFING. Haven’t been able to find it in years.

https://www.somethingawful.com/flash-tub/

The whole Flash Tub is still up, but you’ll probably need to download the files and use Ruffle or something to watch them.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
An old PBS bumper satirizing Antiques Roadshow. The guest has a ceramic blob and describes it as a sculpture by "Jean Claude Dibby Doo". The appraiser looks at it and says, "That's an ashtray. It's worth about a buck."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is sort of the opposite of what this thread is about, but the original upload of this video disappeared years ago and I’ve spent years trying to find it without success, but it recently popped back up on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ngBu9Q1XM

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

An old DOS program for learning Japanese kana (definitely katakana, probably also hiragana). It had a review portion, where helpful mnemonics were introduced for each character, and then a multiple-choice quiz portion. It was all DOS text, with hand-drawn kana (i.e., not drawn from any double-byte character bank). One mnemonic I remember clearly involved telling シ (shi) apart from ツ (tsu): "She is equal" (because the two top strokes of "shi" are more horizontal than in "tsu"). This would have been the first half of the '90s. I swear I had it on a floppy, and I swear I copied all my floppies to my archive disk, and yet.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hirayuki posted:

An old DOS program for learning Japanese kana (definitely katakana, probably also hiragana). It had a review portion, where helpful mnemonics were introduced for each character, and then a multiple-choice quiz portion. It was all DOS text, with hand-drawn kana (i.e., not drawn from any double-byte character bank). One mnemonic I remember clearly involved telling シ (shi) apart from ツ (tsu): "She is equal" (because the two top strokes of "shi" are more horizontal than in "tsu"). This would have been the first half of the '90s. I swear I had it on a floppy, and I swear I copied all my floppies to my archive disk, and yet.

I have no idea, but I would love to check this out if it ends up found

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Trying to find the video of the sexy 1980s martial arts/gymnast guy making bread

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Trying to find the video of the sexy 1980s martial arts/gymnast guy making bread

We all are

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMBXJ9I3pJM

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My sister is trying to figure out the name of a movie she saw a long time ago.

Here’s her description:
“Ok this is what I remember. I saw the movie on tv in the 80s. The movie itself may have been made in the late 70s or 80s. It started with a spoiled young teen girl who is angry at her parents. Her parents are having a party at their house and the girl gets into the laundry shute, I think to hide from them. There is some kind of disaster that causes everyone in the world to disappear. The girl has fallen asleep and when she wakes up she is alone. She leaves the house and goes into the city, ending up in a mall where she tries to steal clothes and stuff from the empty mall. She is stopped by a man who looks like a biker. I am pretty sure he rides a motorcycle. I think they rnd up banding together, a bratty teen and this rough biker. It had an Escape from LA vibe and could have been a TV movie.“

Any ideas?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Snowy posted:

Here’s her description:
“Ok this is what I remember. I saw the movie on tv in the 80s. The movie itself may have been made in the late 70s or 80s. It started with a spoiled young teen girl who is angry at her parents. Her parents are having a party at their house and the girl gets into the laundry shute, I think to hide from them. There is some kind of disaster that causes everyone in the world to disappear. The girl has fallen asleep and when she wakes up she is alone. She leaves the house and goes into the city, ending up in a mall where she tries to steal clothes and stuff from the empty mall. She is stopped by a man who looks like a biker. I am pretty sure he rides a motorcycle. I think they rnd up banding together, a bratty teen and this rough biker. It had an Escape from LA vibe and could have been a TV movie.“

Any ideas?
It doesn't quite fit but maybe Night of the Comet?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Snowy posted:

Here’s her description:

Any ideas?

It sounds vaguely like Night of the Comet? Everyone disappears overnight, the main (female) lead rides a bike, they go to an empty mall to "shop". There's parts which don't line up but I don't know how bad your sister's memory is.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t quite know how bad her memory is either, but I’m checking. Thanks for the quick replies!

E- bad

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 25, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

She's pretty sure that's not it and the main girl was younger, like 14-15 years old.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hirayuki posted:

Neither of these are likely, but I'll toss them out there since they are in the window of time and content:

https://www.neverdiemedia.com/products/playing-with-language-games-in-japanese
(Circa 1992, but on CD Rom)

The other I cannot find a thing for other than a title "Japanese I" which was released for IBM PCs in 1991 (so mostly DOS/Floppies were still active) by "Education Tutorial Software". It was based off an Amiga version which came out a year earlier and the only thing I find for it is a copy of the loose disk on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174236972962

edit: I tried to find a few others:

Kanji-Flash/BTJ
https://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/0303.htm Has a small pic of a few screenshots. Descriptions seem to have floppies and DOS. There are some other sites that seem to have better screenshots if you search the title, though.

edit 2: I kept digging and found an archive of an old magazine from the early nineties called "Mangaijin". Specifically, a PDF of issue number 8 has a section starting on page 17 with a pretty large list of Japanese instructional programs from the time with some descriptions of the features.

https://penpal.jp/go/mangajin/Mangajin-issue-08.pdf

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 26, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

Neither of these are likely, but I'll toss them out there since they are in the window of time and content:
Thanks for digging! I know for sure this was a tiny program on a single floppy (with a bunch of other programs, in my case) and also freeware (or shareware that no one ever paid for). Probably something a fellow learner with some programming talent had whipped up and released to help others. It was extremely basic. I don't know where I could have even found it at the time. I'll check my archives more closely.

I did have a subscription to Mangajin for a while there! It was great.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Can anyone help me figure what movie this gif is from?

It's in someone here's signature with another gif from what I assume is the same movie. I've tried to find it on my own a few times, but no luck.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

the mean lunch lady posted:

It's in someone here's signature with another gif from what I assume is the same movie. I've tried to find it on my own a few times, but no luck.

Why not ask them?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

the mean lunch lady posted:

I think it might be baffmasta or callmechoko on youtube, they do skits where they dress up in 60s/70s/80s styles

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Hirayuki posted:

Shot in the dark, but possibly this?: https://archive.org/details/japanese-for-business-and-travel

Its funny, I'm trying to learn Japanese atm so this has been a nice search for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Shot in the dark, but possibly this?: https://archive.org/details/japanese-for-business-and-travel

Its funny, I'm trying to learn Japanese atm so this has been a nice search for me
Ooh! No, that's not it either, but I thought for a hot second there that Kana Sensei, also on that site, might have been it. It's not, but I relished the sense that I was getting closer (and I enjoyed seeing things like the very first J-capable word processor I'd ever used). Thanks!