Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah but it's like, I'm just not going to unwire everything that works in every other fighting game to make this one feel okay.

My *actual* problem is that the stupid command list gives me button inputs for everything instead of indicators for Forward Punch/Back Punch etc. which makes it essentially completely illegible since I'm playing on my hitbox and RB doesn't actually mean anything.

Yeah, not playing a lot of NRS stuff in general means my fighting brain is still adjusting to “use the block button” and not “I’m pressing back oh oops got hit”. It’ll be extra fun next week when I go play AKI in SF6 and start mixing back and forth.

Agreed on the labels, I just would like to be able to use a different one than the pad labeling for my snackbox. For now I have them on a notepad doc on my second monitor until I internalize them more.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

She was so brave to say this…

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

https://youtu.be/JJdd8zYVPJw?si=PB3ldBWF3qtofl1M

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like that in this perfect timeline, outside of cosmic interference Shang Tsung and Quan Chi are perfectly capable of being normal members of society, but Bi Han is still an insane rear end in a top hat

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean they do kinda go out of their way to introduce Shang Tsung as a silver tongued huckster. Not a very successful one, but nonetheless.

Quan Chi seems like he’d be doing his magic bullshit no matter what.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yeah but he's just a snake oil salesman, and Quan Chi worked in like a mine? But even before all this fuckery Bi Han just straight up basically killed his dad

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sub Zero has no chill

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I like that in this perfect timeline, outside of cosmic interference Shang Tsung and Quan Chi are perfectly capable of being normal members of society, but Bi Han is still an insane rear end in a top hat

Ehhh, Shang was a snake oil salesman that was responsible for the death of at least one little girl.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Regrettable posted:

Ehhh, Shang was a snake oil salesman that was responsible for the death of at least one little girl.
I thought she had tarkat? I may need to rewatch it, if she did, then his tea didn't kill her nor stop her from seeking nonexistent proper medical care.

Still a poo poo thing to do and he was marketing as a cure all so some people may have died then.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Twibbit posted:

I thought she had tarkat? I may need to rewatch it, if she did, then his tea didn't kill her nor stop her from seeking nonexistent proper medical care.

Still a poo poo thing to do and he was marketing as a cure all so some people may have died then.

He marketed it as cure all but mentioned tarkat specifically if I recall correctly.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 24, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
So Shang Tsung is a bad guy because Empress Sindel didnt implement universal healthcare and instead uses her taxes for the pre-kombat tournament festival..?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

So Shang Tsung is a bad guy because Empress Sindel didnt implement universal healthcare and instead uses her taxes for the pre-kombat tournament festival..?

This just in, Homeopathy is actually morally correct to huckster people into!

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Regrettable posted:

Square = 1
Triangle = 2
X = 3
Circle = 4

Sweet thanks, easy to remember

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Twibbit posted:

This just in, Homeopathy is actually morally correct to huckster people into!

No need to call shang tsung pejoratives...

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Now I was thinking about how entertaining Quan Chi's body language and delivery is, and wondering if he was like that when he was mining. Those elongated vowels when discussing ore veins and breathing issues.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What is the point of Lui Kang’s EX BF3? It doesn’t jump me to them, so just an enhanced fireball?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What is the point of Lui Kang’s EX BF3? It doesn’t jump me to them, so just an enhanced fireball?

Launches the enemy for combos

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That Sub-Zero encounter at the end of the parade mesa sure is one hell of a skill check, innit?
Spent a solid 45 minutes making it through his second phase only to find out he had a third, with armor
And then I gave up

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sockser posted:

That Sub-Zero encounter at the end of the parade mesa sure is one hell of a skill check, innit?
Spent a solid 45 minutes making it through his second phase only to find out he had a third, with armor
And then I gave up

what level are you and what talisman are you using? I didn't have a problem with him and I basically just down+2 'ed him to death. I maybe have used the armor talisman.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, some of the encounters in invasions can get a bit tiresome and gimmicky. I'd rather they just crank up the health and/or damage of the bosses instead of giving them all the loving armor all the time.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
I beat that sub-zero like the bitch he is, i told him he should change his name to noob cos he is one

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

I beat that sub-zero like the bitch he is, i told him he should change his name to noob cos he is one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyo8cKGUayw

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owsxzKb3Nus&pp=ygUVbm9ib2R5IGJlYXRzIHN1YiB6ZXJv

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The armor on bosses will run out over time if you can stall.

I don't know if it's from chipping the armor or if it has a duration.

Their auras are permanent though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

The armor on bosses will run out over time if you can stall.

I don't know if it's from chipping the armor or if it has a duration.

Their auras are permanent though.

There seems some variability to the armor duration, yeah. First time I got up against boss Kitana I got dumpstered because the armor seemed to last forever and I died before it even ran out. Second attempt it seemed to go quite a bit faster, while I mostly just stayed defensive and spammed projectiles. I think I also did a lot better in the preceding round (the dodging minigame) in that attempt, maybe that's got something to do with it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Is there an MK equivalent to Supercombo wiki? A website that collects things like frame data, if something can be cancelled, move properties and so forth? Would be really quite useful at a glance.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MK1 has all that baked into the move list, which is pretty nice

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

It does but I'd like to be able to look up a characters on the fly, like if I lose to a Johnny Cage I could check a string and see what the frame data was, see if I could punish it. Also the move list omits some useful information like what causes a hard knockdown, or a re-stand, or a pop-up (eg enhanced Baraka Barrage will end with a launcher but advanced view doesn't tell you this).

I didn't realise it told you in advanced view how to activate brutalities though so that's cool!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can do that by going into the practice mode and using the Record and Playback feature. Input the Johnny Cage string that's giving you trouble, then if there are any mixups from that same string, record both of them and then set playback to Random Hidden. That way you can kondition yourself to recognize either the low or the overhead. Johnny's overhead in particular can be fuzzy guarded because it comes out much slower than the low. With enough practice you can safely block the string whether he goes high or low! That overhead in particular also has a reversal gap that will let your armor out of it if you're getting bullied in the corner.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Perestroika posted:

There seems some variability to the armor duration, yeah. First time I got up against boss Kitana I got dumpstered because the armor seemed to last forever and I died before it even ran out. Second attempt it seemed to go quite a bit faster, while I mostly just stayed defensive and spammed projectiles. I think I also did a lot better in the preceding round (the dodging minigame) in that attempt, maybe that's got something to do with it.

Unfortunately not. For whatever reason NRS games are really, really bad at having a good wiki, though I did see some rumblings when MK1 came out that SuperCombo was going to make a real effort at being the place.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
when playing MK on a pad, do you use claw grip?

I don't have the thumb speed to pull off combos consistently at all, and I can when I lay my index and middle finger over the face buttons. This is the solution I use for Tekken, but for MK having that god drat block button makes me feel unsafe going claw style so I stick to thumbs even though it really holds me back combo-wise.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

when playing MK on a pad, do you use claw grip?

I don't have the thumb speed to pull off combos consistently at all, and I can when I lay my index and middle finger over the face buttons. This is the solution I use for Tekken, but for MK having that god drat block button makes me feel unsafe going claw style so I stick to thumbs even though it really holds me back combo-wise.

Nope, just use the ole thumbs. I do use claw grip for some Tekken characters though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I get that matchmaking is largely based on win rate, but it’s funny that with a W/L of like 13/15 I either get people with less then 50~ matches who I have a chance against, or people who are like 138/144 who just wreck me.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
So, are input tolerances different depending on...something? Is there a concept of a host here?

There are whole matches where I feel like I have a lot of control over what's happening, and then there are whole matches where I feel like inputs are just going into the nether. I'm going to setup some AHK tests here to see if that's in fact the case, but there is something real loving weird happening with this by my estimation.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Maybe related because it seems the game has combos only player 1 can do across the entire cast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rplfGWn7w0I&t=70s

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Maybe related because it seems the game has combos only player 1 can do across the entire cast

Lol, and now we have our first major issue caused by them rushing the game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Well that sucks.

On the off-chance that it's an offline bug, I recommend someone with a sparring partner check if it's reproducible online.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Abroham Lincoln posted:

This is a pretty huge issue if it's reproducible online. They just had an MK1 tournament at CEOtaku so who knows if that could have affected any dropped combo, etc. I'm sure people will comb through the footage for evidence.

Hopefully it's fixed soon, even if Sub-Zero mains deserve nothing better.