Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dyz posted:

Then use a new engine because either way unity probably wont be used too much in the future.

Changing engines mid-development is extremely unlikely, it's basically starting the entire thing over. It'd cost much more in dev costs than Unity would take.

Subnautica 4, on the other hand, may well switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing this for the first time (except for a false start that was interrupted by WoW classic).

Scrounged a bunch of stuff and realized I could get the MK2 and 3 depth upgrades for the Seamoth. Apparently it has a limit of 900 meters now. I thought the story was wrapping up now that I found the Degasi camp at 500 meters :v:

E: weirdly free diving is like my safety blanket because nothing is obscuring my vision and the stasis rifle has kept everything at bay so far. Maybe it's just me, but the seamoth seems to attract predators. I also just got a cyclops but so far it seems only to excel at getting stuck in holes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 26, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Fruits of the sea posted:

Playing this for the first time (except for a false start that was interrupted by WoW classic).

Scrounged a bunch of stuff and realized I could get the MK2 and 3 depth upgrades for the Seamoth. Apparently it has a limit of 900 meters now. I thought the story was wrapping up now that I found the Degasi camp at 500 meters :v:

At least you found that base.
I recently watched an LP of it from Laney at Nerdlette gaming who completely missed the PDA to send you there and somehow still found a way to go deeper.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I missed a Degasi base on my first playthrough. I think the infamous hidden PDA is the one that tells of it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Serephina posted:

Yea I missed a Degasi base on my first playthrough. I think the infamous hidden PDA is the one that tells of it.

That's the PDA that I didn't miss on my first playthrough, but absolutely did on my second, which drove me nuts, because I knew where I should be going, but.... :shrug:

*cue Vincent Vega looking around the Cyclops, confused*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

E: weirdly free diving is like my safety blanket because nothing is obscuring my vision and the stasis rifle has kept everything at bay so far. Maybe it's just me, but the seamoth seems to attract predators. I also just got a cyclops but so far it seems only to excel at getting stuck in holes.

The seamoth lights attract predators, so going around with your lights off is stealthier.

I got in the habit of using the Seamoth as a floodlight for whatever area I was investigating, and it got nibbled to death.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

The seamoth lights attract predators, so going around with your lights off is stealthier.

I got in the habit of using the Seamoth as a floodlight for whatever area I was investigating, and it got nibbled to death.

I did this down at the deeper Degassi base, in the lower tunnel (not in the jelly shroom cave) and it was nearly dead when I got in it, then I got teleported out of it just in time for it to blow up, leaving me 500 meters beneath the surface in a cave.

It was not a fun time.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm finally playing through this game after wanting to for years! I'm going to make hella slow progress because I have a toddler so I'll get like 3 hours a week tops.

I was originally going to say "boy this sure is fun, a game where the entire gameplay is swimming and resource collecting and making the best of sparse materials!" but from context clues, it seems like the general gameplay shifts a LOT from that.

Anything else I should know getting started? My friend says "build lots of small bases and use beacons liberally"

I know I'm late but here's a tip that I wish I had known sooner

save often because there's no auto save!!!

maybe I'm just dumb and everyone else knows that but still

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

It's not just you. Predators - particularly the really nasty ones - are attracted to the Seamoth, especially when the lights are on.
They may also be attracted to the Prawn suit but that's their problem.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Trip report: Dear god, why didn't I make a hud chip earlier? Base building is so much easier now.

Found two time capsules, one with a stasis gun and another containing poo :v:

I haven't progressed any further, just spending hours making a pretty home that snakes through some stone arches in the kelp biome and out over a cliff overlooking one of those plateaus filled with red seaweed.

I do appreciate that the game doesn't demand much in the way of rare resources. One trip stuffing the seamoth and my inventory with magnetite or rubies or whatever lasts a long time. Food is sorted with a farm, and water too, as soon as I can get a filtration machine up and running.

My only complaint is that I can't make furniture and plant beds snap to base elements. Getting furniture to line up properly is time consuming and it bugs me when stuff is slightly off center.

A warper is parked by the beach of the alien island, which makes my lithium harvesting trips a nerve wracking experience.

E:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bifner McDoogle posted:

It's not just you. Predators - particularly the really nasty ones - are attracted to the Seamoth, especially when the lights are on.
They may also be attracted to the Prawn suit but that's their problem.

Cool, makes sense. Base building aside, I feel like I'm going native. Not using the vehicles when trying to find a pod, only the flashlight when absolutely necessary. Just freediving and catching fish with my knife when I get hungry :clint:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 29, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Do some exploring when ready.
I'm sure you've found some ship pieces/wrecks by now and there are probably more than you would think.
With scanable items useful for later.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've only found one piece of a prawn, so I've decided that's my next goal. I've also got to find a pod close to the crash site that I heard about at the start of the game (and I think one of the logs mentioned a prawn bay there) so I think the next step is to brave the waters where I keep hearing roaring in the distance. Unsure if I'm just going to swim or take the unupgraded cyclops in silent running mode.

Also need to find a way to make hydrochloric acid. Stabbing mushrroms did not work and the gasopods don't help either :downs: That was a painful expedition

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 29, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think the next step is to brave the waters where I keep hearing roaring in the distance.

You’re on the right track :)

:twisted:

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I've only found one piece of a prawn, so I've decided that's my next goal. I've also got to find a pod close to the crash site that I heard about at the start of the game (and I think one of the logs mentioned a prawn bay there) so I think the next step is to brave the waters where I keep hearing roaring in the distance. Unsure if I'm just going to swim or take the unupgraded cyclops in silent running mode.

Also need to find a way to make hydrochloric acid. Stabbing mushrroms did not work and the gasopods don't help either :downs: That was a painful expedition

I think a good piece of advice is to scan everything you're able to. You never know what might be helpful later on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

I think a good piece of advice is to scan everything you're able to. You never know what might be helpful later on.

Very much this. My 2nd playthrough had me struggling to find the rebreather, and it turns out I didn't scan that green kelp stuff because I thought I didn't need to.

Thinking I knew stuff already was the absolute worst part of my 2nd playthrough. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You'll want to get into the Aurora sooner rather than later if you haven't already.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess technically you don't need to use subs at all and you could either build out airpipes or create waystations to air back up for long dives.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess technically you don't need to use subs at all and you could either build out airpipes or create waystations to air back up for long dives.

I think someone tried that and reported back that they don't load in correctly when the pipes go too deep? Or I might be making that up.

Regardless, I feel that pipe'd air was a neat idea for a much earlier iteration of the game. Shame, really; I kinda like the idea of needing a few more external things to make your bases work rather than one solar panel for infinite o2 and interior lighting.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Someone years ago did a free-diving run of the main game where they staged outside grow beds with brain coral at intervals, if I’m recalling correctly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Someone years ago did a free-diving run of the main game where they staged outside grow beds with brain coral at intervals, if I’m recalling correctly.

I saw one where someone had 3-4 tanks, a sea glide with a pile of batteries, zero fear whatsoever, and they ran all the way to the endgame area. Pretty sure it was a speed run where someone finished the game in like 45min or so.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah the idea for the setup I mentioned was to only ever need to carry the one tank on Riley because you were never further than 45 seconds from a brain coral (while you were swimming along the road anyway)

It was someone itt, too, not just a rando streamer or youtuber. Definitely not a speedrun, methodically building and planting all of that would take longer than most people take for their first playthrough I think

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Serephina posted:

I think someone tried that and reported back that they don't load in correctly when the pipes go too deep? Or I might be making that up.

Regardless, I feel that pipe'd air was a neat idea for a much earlier iteration of the game. Shame, really; I kinda like the idea of needing a few more external things to make your bases work rather than one solar panel for infinite o2 and interior lighting.

I used pipes to explore some of the more fiddly wrecks with a small tank

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Fall Dog posted:

This was the most frustrating thing about watching CarlSagan42's run, how often he'd be visiting a pod or something, looking all around, the scan icon popping up repeatedly but he just kept ignoring it and not scanning things until he noticed chat screaming at him to scan the thing.

Then after completing it he proceeded to to the exact same thing through BZ.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I had an inadvetant low tech run a year or two ago where I forgot to upgrade the oxygen tank so made do with 30s oxygen for a lot longer than I should have in the game. I built little waystations in places like the red sea grass area out of a tube + hatch + solar panel so I could stay down longer to collect resources, etc.

It was pretty fun, actually. I think placing restrictions on yourself like that is probably a good way to prolong the game's replayability once you've figured out the leviathan behaviour and how to cheese it*.

*If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't look it up! Subnautica is hands-down the top "game I wish I could play for the first time again", and I'm probably not alone in that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'll want to get into the Aurora sooner rather than later if you haven't already.

Ok yeah, the Aurora wasn't as deadly as I expected. Taking a straight path there was actually pretty safe!

This weekend I punched bonesharks to death and found a cave with a portal inside, south of the Aurora's stern. Looking forward to seeing what's behind it. It's really out of the way so I'm wondering if I'm about to do some sequence breaking.

Also getting a shitload of time capsules. Kinda wish I had started finding them earlier, I'm rolling around with 5 stasis guns now. One of them had some kind of super battery in it, which is pretty sweet. Another of the time capsules had a picture collage of early access Subnautica and descriptions of how things were different. Really cool poo poo!

I built a comedically large pile of scrap to harvest teeth, so I think my time capsule is just gonna be filled with them :v: Hopefully it'll make somebody's life a little easier, they can be a pain to find.

E: my seamoth teleported 100 feet up into the air while I was inside the Aurora, so that's annoying. It's hovering directly above a reaper so uh... guess I'm building a new one.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 2, 2023

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I had an inadvetant low tech run a year or two ago where I forgot to upgrade the oxygen tank so made do with 30s oxygen for a lot longer than I should have in the game. I built little waystations in places like the red sea grass area out of a tube + hatch + solar panel so I could stay down longer to collect resources, etc.

It was pretty fun, actually. I think placing restrictions on yourself like that is probably a good way to prolong the game's replayability once you've figured out the leviathan behaviour and how to cheese it*.

*If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't look it up! Subnautica is hands-down the top "game I wish I could play for the first time again", and I'm probably not alone in that.

Part of why I've bookmarked this thread is so I can live vicariously through the people that have just started their first playthrough. It really is a fun and unique experience despite the various niggles.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

!
It's really out of the way so I'm wondering if I'm about to do some sequence breaking.

I wouldn't worry about this.

Also, yes, Subnautica is a wonderful game for vicarious playthroughs, so don't ever think that we here ITT don't want to hear about your first trip through; quite the opposite. That's probably why this thread is so good about spoilers. We don't even want to ruin the (vicarious) experience for ourselves.

And when you finish, you'll be one of us, very interested in the next goon's first playthrough. So it is. So it will be.

:getin:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

I built a comedically large pile of scrap to harvest teeth, so I think my time capsule is just gonna be filled with them :v: Hopefully it'll make somebody's life a little easier, they can be a pain to find.

Nah, what's a pain is computer chips and advanced wiring kits. Everyone needs those things in bulk, and they can be hard to accumulate. Those are great things to leave in a time capsule.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
please leave teeth they are so annoying to find

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I load my time capsule up with ion battery filled tools.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Over the weekend some friends and I played Subnautica multiplayer with a mod, Nitrox, and other than a few hilarious bugs radiation didn't go away after fixing Aurora's drive, weird desyncs that overfilled our lockers, desyncs with leviathans, & if anyone went near a door while the cyclops was in motion they'd insta-die. Three of us accomplished in one day what takes a week plus in single player sessions. It was a pretty solid weekend.

That mod is worth checking out if you've got a group that wants to multiplayer it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

chainchompz posted:

Over the weekend some friends and I played Subnautica multiplayer with a mod, Nitrox, and other than a few hilarious bugs radiation didn't go away after fixing Aurora's drive, weird desyncs that overfilled our lockers, desyncs with leviathans, & if anyone went near a door while the cyclops was in motion they'd insta-die. Three of us accomplished in one day what takes a week plus in single player sessions. It was a pretty solid weekend.

That mod is worth checking out if you've got a group that wants to multiplayer it.

Aurora's drive a lot of people (including myself) tend to forget that it takes a few days of game time for the radiation to subside.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

OgNar posted:

Aurora's drive a lot of people (including myself) tend to forget that it takes a few days of game time for the radiation to subside.

Huh? I thought it was literally instant.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Yeah the PDA gives you some flavor text about lingering effects on the environment but you can ditch the radiation suit immediately.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

please leave teeth they are so annoying to find

Teeth farming is easy once you know they only drop from one kind of animal, and you can just park near them and let them rearrange scrap metal for 15 minutes then loot their leftovers. You can also scanner room them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Park your scanner room drones next to your tooth-farm scrap pile, they love those things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

Park your scanner room drones next to your tooth-farm scrap pile, they love those things.

A word of warning; unless an update in the past few years fixed it, teeth will routinely fall a bit through the world geometry but still show up on your scanner. If you don't see the tooth on the surface, chances are it's out of bounds and not just in some cave underneath you; I think those creatures live topside.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A word of warning; unless an update in the past few years fixed it, teeth will routinely fall a bit through the world geometry but still show up on your scanner. If you don't see the tooth on the surface, chances are it's out of bounds and not just in some cave underneath you; I think those creatures live topside.

This is also the reason that you shouldn't try to economize by storing materials in a heap on the ground outside of your base.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did think maybe some of it despawned, but for the most part the junk I stored in a hole stayed put until I could build a proper storage hoard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The ground despawns if you get far enough away from it so everything falls into the core of the planet. The reverse is true too, if you leave something floating against a cave roof it will eventually reach the surface if you move far enough away.