Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pvt. Parts posted:

What feature(s) are you so impatient for? As exciting as new AI tools and stuff can be I'm holding my breath more for house cleaning, unification, and de-bloating efforts more than anything. I think it was announced that Edge will be losing Math Solver and other bloat.

i just want them to stop randomly popping up explorer windows i have minimized while doing other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I didn't realize that was an actual bug, I thought it was just something happening because I was palming the touchpad while typing.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Does anyone have a link to a good guide on how to de-gently caress OneDrive's bullshit? I want to stop %documents% from pointing to the OneDrive folder so I can be rid of it for good.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

K8.0 posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good guide on how to de-gently caress OneDrive's bullshit? I want to stop %documents% from pointing to the OneDrive folder so I can be rid of it for good.

Right-click the My Documents library and go into properties. There’s an option in there to change the directory location.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Perfect, thanks.

Or it would be, if windows wasn't throwing an error that means loving nothing. Looks like I have to do registry edits to de-gently caress it, I'll try to deal with it later.

Jesus christ, gently caress you Microsoft. I don't want your bullshit.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2023

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Perfect, thanks.

Or it would be, if windows wasn't throwing an error that means loving nothing. Looks like I have to do registry edits to de-gently caress it, I'll try to deal with it later.

Jesus christ, gently caress you Microsoft. I don't want your bullshit.

Remove Onedrive first and then try changing the location.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I believe you have to 1) stop backup of the folders, which is enabled by default 2) uninstall OneDrive 3) locations should default to local now. If you don't stop backup before uninstalling it's a nightmare lol

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Holy poo poo they finally got rid of the white flashbang when opening Explorer windows in dark mode with the latest update (I'm on Release Preview).

Also Explorer is still far from 'snappy', but they also seemed to have reduced, if not eliminated those instances of watching the context menu draw-in the additional options areas after it pops up. Wee.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Ableton live puts gigs and gigs of content into the Documents folder, which immediately got uploaded to OneDrive and filled up all my storage. Oh cool I can't receive or send emails because a bunch of poo poo I definitely dont need on the cloud took up all my cloud space. I bet syncing the files back to my PC and telling OneDrive to stop syncing that folder will be a breeze! Oh nevermind it took loving hours and kept crashing explorer trying to change attributes of tens of thousands of files at a time.

Windows 11 is such God drat loving GARBAGE

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ben shapino posted:

Ableton live puts gigs and gigs of content into the Documents folder, which immediately got uploaded to OneDrive and filled up all my storage. Oh cool I can't receive or send emails because a bunch of poo poo I definitely dont need on the cloud took up all my cloud space. I bet syncing the files back to my PC and telling OneDrive to stop syncing that folder will be a breeze! Oh nevermind it took loving hours and kept crashing explorer trying to change attributes of tens of thousands of files at a time.

But you see, this is good for the consumer because back up is hard or something. Maybe you just need to give Microsoft another $20 / month in perpetuity to make your computer work and it'll be fine.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
onedrive can be cool but then you gently caress up one (1) sync setting and you softlocked yourself out of your computer it's pretty cool honestly and i hate it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Once again, I want like... someone to make an inexpensive 3- or 4-bay NAS that you can just slot a couple of cheap consumer SATA SSDs into, it automatically RAID-5 or RAID-6s itself. It doesn't need to be huge, and it doesn't need to be much larger than the stacked dimensions of the 4 SSDs themselves.

Kubesail has come absolutely closest to this with their PiBox, but they only have a 2-bay version, and the 4-6-bay versions are nowhere to be seen. And you still need a screwdriver to access the drives. I'm thinking carrierless bays.

Like, something cheap enough that EVERYONE can have just hooked up to their network at all times.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 26, 2023

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

ben shapino posted:

Ableton live puts gigs and gigs of content into the Documents folder..

Windows 11 is made by Ableton?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
What's up with everyone opting in to OneDrive? Is it a EU vs US thing where installing W11 in the US makes it mandatory?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Once again, I want like... someone to make an inexpensive 3- or 4-bay NAS that you can just slot a couple of cheap consumer SATA SSDs into, it automatically RAID-5 or RAID-6s itself. It doesn't need to be huge, and it doesn't need to be much larger than the stacked dimensions of the 4 SSDs themselves.

Kubesail has come absolutely closest to this with their PiBox, but they only have a 2-bay version, and the 4-6-bay versions are nowhere to be seen. And you still need a screwdriver to access the drives. I'm thinking carrierless bays.

Like, something cheap enough that EVERYONE can have just hooked up to their network at all times.

I use a five year old 10TB external drive and pray daily that it doesn't crap out. I've looked into good NAS solutions but they are still pricey and totally know what you mean.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't imagine a Pi has the beans to not be awful at doing things like parity calculations

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't imagine a Pi has the beans to not be awful at doing things like parity calculations

Ehhh, lots of hardware raid cards use(d) a powerpc core at sub ghz speeds to do all that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I said it was the closest to, and the PiBox 2 just does RAID 1.

Which isn't the *craziest* thing? In a certain way, it makes sense, in that RAID 1 is still going to be miles beyond what most people have, before parity calculations even enter the picture, and a TB of external mirrored flash storage is guaranteed to be peppy.

edit: If it were up to me, upon being born, you'd be issued a 4-bay RAID 6 box along with your social security number, but an external backup and a mirror would have made my life so much easier when doing family IT.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 26, 2023

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MikusR posted:

Windows 11 is made by Ableton?

Ableton is pretty much using Documents as intended, for user-owned files that aren't tied to a program's installation. OneDrive syncing that folder without any user input is just sleazy as hell.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

What's up with everyone opting in to OneDrive? Is it a EU vs US thing where installing W11 in the US makes it mandatory?

I've never had the choice on any install of Windows 11. One drive is installed by default and is the default location for those folders. Across maybe 15-20 computers at this point :bighow:

Even "opting out" of anything on the initial install does nothing lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've never had the choice on any install of Windows 11. One drive is installed by default and is the default location for those folders. Across maybe 15-20 computers at this point :bighow:

Even "opting out" of anything on the initial install does nothing lol

I was upgrading from W10 on both machines so maybe that's why I never had this problem?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
In the past ripping stuff out of windows was a bit of an art but doable.

Since windows 7 I haven't bothered because it breaks things more than it makes it run lean. (I tried to do it on 10 a bunch but it would break things)

Now I mostly don't care besides using power shell to get rid of candy crush and a few other semi preloaded things I'll never use, but I'm starting to consider a Rufus custom image or whatever for my next clean install.

The program that shits up my error log the most historically is the Xbox app which I barely use just for checking on a few non PC friends once in a blue moon.

Don't forget that one drive backs up your desktop as well, which I keep iconless and only use as a temporary clipboard of sorts

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
OneDrive was installed by default in Win10, but was inactive unless you signed into Windows with a MS Account (or specifically set up OneDrive).

The change with Win11 is mandatory MS Accounts, unless you go out of your way to use a bypass.

Vic posted:

I was upgrading from W10 on both machines so maybe that's why I never had this problem?

Yeah if you weren't using OneDrive before the upgrade would respect that.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Klyith posted:

OneDrive was installed by default in Win10, but was inactive unless you signed into Windows with a MS Account (or specifically set up OneDrive).

The change with Win11 is mandatory MS Accounts, unless you go out of your way to use a bypass.
Oh so that's what made it more intrusive!

I broke to the dark side and have been using a Microsoft account for maybe 2-3 years.

It is pretty nice that almost every setting carries over to a fresh install, but I worry it will get some stuff wrong and wouldn't mind a totally clean slate.

If I have to do a quick glean of a double check is it really saving me any time?

(I know you probably don't need to fresh install anymore and stuff just works mostly, but I think a clean install every so often could cure some wonkiness and perhaps even gain you 2fps)

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Holy poo poo they finally got rid of the white flashbang when opening Explorer windows in dark mode with the latest update (I'm on Release Preview).

Also Explorer is still far from 'snappy', but they also seemed to have reduced, if not eliminated those instances of watching the context menu draw-in the additional options areas after it pops up. Wee.

The white flashing is driving me nuts on chrome, I don't think Firefox is doing it. I know Chrome is starting to be a bad idea, but I'm a weirdo who uses:
1. Firefox for general browsing and YouTube
2. Chrome without hardware acceleration for viewing Twitch/YouTube while gaming
3. Edge for Twitch with h/w acceleration

Wonder if there's a way to stop it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dessel posted:

2. Chrome without hardware acceleration for viewing Twitch/YouTube while gaming
3. Edge for Twitch with h/w acceleration

Uh, why are you doing that? GPU video decode hardware is separate silicon from the parts used by the game, it shouldn't affect performance. Less so than using the CPU anyways. (Even if you have a CPU with way more cores than the game uses, it's extra system memory pressure and general overhead.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Its because twitch is trash and that’s probably the setup that works

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Nah, that seems stupid to me too

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The setup literally works on my 5600x and 3060ti. Also worked on my previous 3570k and rx480, on a CPU limited game no less. I will start dropping stream frames with hardware acceleration enabled. (outright stream pausing). Maybe it's gsync, whatever. Think what you will but it literally makes streams actually watchable in my use cases. Maybe because instant replay or whatever is enabled so the silicon that shares that and stream is shared, but I haven't tested that heavily lately. Some frames are dropped on Chrome regardless if there's a game on the foreground but that that might just be crappy Twitch extensions, I haven't come to a 100% conclusion if it's dumb plugins or hardware acceleration and I can't be bothered keep installing/uninstalling to be 100%.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 26, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dessel posted:

I will start dropping stream frames with hardware acceleration enabled.

Oh if it's the video that drops frames that makes much more sense. Carry on! I focused in on the while gaming part and could only imagine it being a game performance thing.

Does the same thing happen watching a video in like VLC? If so if could be the GPU having enough load that it's dropping encoder work, whether due to the instant replay idea or just general load. Otherwise it's probably a chrome problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

Oh if it's the video that drops frames that makes much more sense.

Yeah, twitch specifically can have serious issues with playback if you have a game up on the other screen. It definitely has to do with twitch and hardware acceleration in the browser, because when I ran into it I didn’t have any plugins affecting things and I went through a similar process of troubleshooting and trying different browser.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Speaking of weird video stuff, any idea why my Win11 system would have lag but only in completely nonsensical, undemanding apps? I've got a 13700K and a 3080, drivers up to date, and random apps will lag badly enough if they're the focused app that it makes moving the mouse feel noticeably sluggish.

Diablo 4 didn't lag when I played it. Crusader Kings 3 doesn't. Firefox and Vivaldi don't, whether or not I'm playing video. Freda e-book reader does, though! My Hyper-V VM? Causes the lag. Out of the Park Baseball, which is a glorified spreadsheet, causes the lag unless I disable OpenGL, but why the hell would Win11 be having issues with OpenGL?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

Speaking of weird video stuff, any idea why my Win11 system would have lag but only in completely nonsensical, undemanding apps?
Any weird things in event log or (I now prefer windows reliability monitor)?

Latencymon show anything?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

Speaking of weird video stuff, any idea why my Win11 system would have lag but only in completely nonsensical, undemanding apps? I've got a 13700K and a 3080, drivers up to date, and random apps will lag badly enough if they're the focused app that it makes moving the mouse feel noticeably sluggish.

Diablo 4 didn't lag when I played it. Crusader Kings 3 doesn't. Firefox and Vivaldi don't, whether or not I'm playing video. Freda e-book reader does, though! My Hyper-V VM? Causes the lag. Out of the Park Baseball, which is a glorified spreadsheet, causes the lag unless I disable OpenGL, but why the hell would Win11 be having issues with OpenGL?

Are you using a monitor with a variable refresh rate (G-Sync/Freesync)? Your video card drivers could be detecting that those things are 3d apps and your monitor could then be trying to sync to a very low framerate, making things seem laggy. If you have an NVIDIA card, you can set 3D settings for those specific apps to not use G-SYNC (under "Monitor Technology") and I assume there's an AMD equivalent if that happens to AMD cards too. I've had to set this for several programs since I don't want to give up windowed G-Sync (another option).

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

I'm seeing similiar issues with my Win11 PC but it seems to happen when Steam is downloading updates and it's system-wide. As soon as the update download stops my mouse goes back to normal.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

astral posted:

Are you using a monitor with a variable refresh rate (G-Sync/Freesync)? Your video card drivers could be detecting that those things are 3d apps and your monitor could then be trying to sync to a very low framerate, making things seem laggy. If you have an NVIDIA card, you can set 3D settings for those specific apps to not use G-SYNC (under "Monitor Technology") and I assume there's an AMD equivalent if that happens to AMD cards too. I've had to set this for several programs since I don't want to give up windowed G-Sync (another option).

This appears to have solved it. I thought it had something to do with refresh rates, but I was not going to find this setting on my own.

Thanks, all!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man the iPhone support in the Phone Link app is dogshit. I got it to work with my iPhone 13 after enduring a dozen "unable to connect" errors instantaneously popping up after clicking the pair button but now that I'm trying it with an iPhone 15 I'm having no such luck.

Even when I got it to work with the iPhone 13 it wouldn't support group chats.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah, it’s more of an Apple thing.

The Phone Link app has to fake being a car infotainment system so iPhones will let it access text messages and make calls but you won’t get history or most features you would when pairing an Android phone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dessel posted:

The setup literally works on my 5600x and 3060ti. Also worked on my previous 3570k and rx480, on a CPU limited game no less. I will start dropping stream frames with hardware acceleration enabled. (outright stream pausing). Maybe it's gsync, whatever. Think what you will but it literally makes streams actually watchable in my use cases. Maybe because instant replay or whatever is enabled so the silicon that shares that and stream is shared, but I haven't tested that heavily lately. Some frames are dropped on Chrome regardless if there's a game on the foreground but that that might just be crappy Twitch extensions, I haven't come to a 100% conclusion if it's dumb plugins or hardware acceleration and I can't be bothered keep installing/uninstalling to be 100%.

I don't watch twitch..basically ever but if a game on one monitor is doing more than 60, youtube on the other shits itself and dies, capping it to 60 (which is the second monitor's max rate) fixes it. I have no idea where the blame for that lies lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Microsoft Quietly Kills Free Windows 10/11 Upgrades from Windows 7/8. Suppose it was going to happen some time, but hopefully no one except curmudgeons were still using anything before Windows 10 anyway.