Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

1 touch = 1 minute of time. Probably worth it for the time same of it being deflated.

If you could even deflate it that way. Making a hole in the rubber duck might've been harder than it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

If you could even deflate it that way. Making a hole in the rubber duck might've been harder than it seems.

Yeah those large inflatable things are often made out of surprisingly thick/strong material, and if it's not over inflated it's going to have a bit of give as well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Plus unless you really gouge the hell out of it, it's going to take some time to deflate.

I wonder if there's ever any off-screen stipulations that are added, like if someone ever asks "Is it alright if I destroy this?" and are told no, but that's not really funny so they don't show it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

going to a show recording tomo. last time got turned away so they gave us priority this time. hype

Looking forward to hearing who’s there!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Personally I think that deflating, rolling/folding, and then carrying the floppy duck would put you at risk of touching the beak at several steps during the process, to an only somewhat lesser extent than rolling it. It makes the shape of the duck much harder to manage compared to just pulling it like Susan did (arguably the objectively correct solution, and it owns that most people would probably assume you had to roll it).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I wonder if there's ever any off-screen stipulations that are added, like if someone ever asks "Is it alright if I destroy this?" and are told no, but that's not really funny so they don't show it.
"All the information is in the envelope."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Plus unless you really gouge the hell out of it, it's going to take some time to deflate.

Usually if they're not allowed to destroy something the task is pretty explicit about it. Alex has said in interviews that they always get at least two copies of everything for the house in case someone does destroy one of them. I suspect they've been running the show long enough to know not to let any of the contestants anywhere near something genuinely irreplaceable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Surprisingly the ducks aren’t as expensive as I expected them to be.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

If they could afford to put five blindfolds into five tin cans they definitely have the money for some extra ducks.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

With Jeremy it feels so flat and dead, and I feel like you often have no sense at all how he’s gonna score until he does.

This is another beef I have with him – last season I want to say he was better, but you *do* know how he's going to score because he tries to do it as objectively as possible. Greg tends to follow his whim which adds some fun wiggle room, but Jeremey rules it as straightforward as possible. No extra points for doing something that's more creative or funnier if the task was *technically* better done that someone else for the art/performance tasks.

I don't think giving TM NZ more time would help either - the issue is that he just doesn't engage or lead on interesting banter that isn't about how hot he is.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
He is a handsome man.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

If I were a contestant, and someone had knifed the duck and deflated it, I would argue that they had just thrown a hunk of yellow plastic in the lake, and not the duck as the task required. The duckness of it is in the geometric shape it has when inflated. Without the air inside, its duck essence is lost.

And I think Greg would probably agree.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I was surprised the ducks didn't seem to be weighted to float upright.

Paladinus posted:

If they could afford to put five blindfolds into five tin cans they definitely have the money for some extra ducks.

Each can was sealed at a different, high class cannery from around the world, they spared no expense!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

like hell you're gonna argue against the contestant who has a knife

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

like hell you're gonna argue against the contestant who has a knife

*cries in Hugh Dennis

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

Personally I think that deflating, rolling/folding, and then carrying the floppy duck would put you at risk of touching the beak at several steps during the process, to an only somewhat lesser extent than rolling it. It makes the shape of the duck much harder to manage compared to just pulling it like Susan did (arguably the objectively correct solution, and it owns that most people would probably assume you had to roll it).

Also I feel like it's heavier than one would assume, so very awkward to carry and the added surface makes it probably more difficult to drag.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Inferior Third Season posted:

If I were a contestant, and someone had knifed the duck and deflated it, I would argue that they had just thrown a hunk of yellow plastic in the lake, and not the duck as the task required. The duckness of it is in the geometric shape it has when inflated. Without the air inside, its duck essence is lost.

If the word “banana” is a banana then a deflated duck must be a duck

Maybe write “duck” on the deflated duck in permanent marker just to be sure?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i was going to make a topology joke, but stabbing and cutting introduces a new hole therefore +1 manifold.

also humans are manifolds with 7 holes.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
S17 starts recording this week. I shall be furiously seeking out a leak of the line-up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

S17 starts recording this week. I shall be furiously seeking out a leak of the line-up.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

going to a show recording tomo. last time got turned away so they gave us priority this time. hype

I think we’ll know soon enough. :shittydog:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah I just got back lol. people got upset about the prospect of a cast leak before so I would say just pm me but that guy hasn't got plat lol

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

yeah I just got back lol. people got upset about the prospect of a cast leak before so I would say just pm me but that guy hasn't got plat lol

You should definitely PM me at least

But also how was it? Good chemistry? Any standouts?

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Obviously you should just post the line up in the form of a task. That way anyone who doesn’t want to know can just not do it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Given that seasons 5, 7 and 13 have been loving bangers I'd say that 17 should follow the prime number = good stuff tradition.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
3 and 11 arent prime number now?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Piers Morgan should be interesting.

admin edit: please watch your spoiler tags!!! :(

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I guess it was on accident, but gently caress you guy.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Piers Morgan should be interesting.

I can't believe they landed [spoiler]conan o'brien[/spooiler], god drat. And bold choice to [spoiler]have one of the contestants just be a straight up live Lion on loan from the London Zoo. Gonna make the team tasks super interesting.[/spoilre]

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

drat that season is gonna be lit

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inferior Third Season posted:

If I were a contestant and someone had knifed the duck I would leave them the gently caress alone and try not to provoke them.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

woke kaczynski posted:

You should definitely PM me at least

But also how was it? Good chemistry? Any standouts?

everything below is extremely vague and not a spoiler

was only episode 2 so not fully cohesive yet but they were all friendly with each other, already doesn't feel like the liza tarbuck series where it's just 5 people that happen to co-exist

good tasks though. most were puzzle/problem solvers, one creative one, all lent themselves to multiple solutions.

one contestant has an insane task outfit and one is clearly "the competitive one" but was also making jokes

greg also on good form. he'd had a nap immediately prior to filming so he was slightly unhinged from the get go.

between advert banter (so this won't get on the edit i'm pretty sure) included greg referencing the house he and alex live in together "according to perverts writing stories on the internet" which was funny

the contestant currently in last also asked if there's a prize for last and alex referenced people always asking for "loser of losers"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LupusAter posted:

Also I feel like it's heavier than one would assume, so very awkward to carry and the added surface makes it probably more difficult to drag.

Did a bit of checking and amazon gives it weight as 35kg, but that's including an inflator and I think a repair kit, so maybe more like 30kg. Which is heavy but not super heavy. The awkward shape and friction from dragging it probably doesn't help though.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the contestant currently in last also asked if there's a prize for last and alex referenced people always asking for "loser of losers"

And this is happening when?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Alex has always said he's not keen on a losers series as it would encourage badness in the wrong way.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

four people are already losers every round, why add another one

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Bertha the Toaster posted:

And this is happening when?

him and Greg swiftly followed it up with "but we don't want to" "yeah we don't wanna" "just don't want to"

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Been rewatching the first season and the house looks so bare compared to later seasons, the study especially looks empty. I guess they had no real budget, things like the shed being one of those sad cheapo ones you can buy in the hardware store, falling apart when people try to get in it. Not that it really matters, I never thought about this stuff when I first watched it all but it's quite strange to see so much not there that I am now used to.

The sound isn't the greatest but the original audience venue seems way better than the newer one.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

Alex has always said he's not keen on a losers series as it would encourage badness in the wrong way.

Don't just choose people who did the worst in their season, pick people who didn't win but you know will be funny/insane.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Check the history of the taskmaster wiki page if you want to know the s17 lineup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I just checked. Oh god, they've done a Bill and Ted and grabbed five contestants from throughout history!