Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Seemlar posted:

He really is a lot like Gladys when you put it that way

Except for the part where other than the corruption Andrews was great and Gladys was uniformly poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the hell is slug gate

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

well, you're in for a treat. check out the totally not unhinged website http://sluggate.com.au/ to learn more.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bucky you should buy a domain and get on sluggate level.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
I always thought he should have leaned in to the Chairman Dan thing to be honest....

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Every time I drive under skyrail I'll think of him.

Pity we'll never see the outer loop done, is the Heir Apparent the roads minister?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I remember the song that the cookers used to sing about him.

No more Dan Andrews
No more Daniel Andrews
No more Dan Andrews

Before I be a slave
I'll be buried in my grave
And go home to my lord and be free.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Comstar posted:

Pity we'll never see the outer loop done, is the Heir Apparent the roads minister?

it'll get done, at least to box hill, which is magnificent political gamemanship, it ends right before doncaster, and bulleen (last lib refuge in eastern melbourne) meaning support will be incredibly high in two elections time when stage 1 is nearing completion and stage 2 would have to be approved, making it very hard for the libs to kill off without upsetting their remaining base.

Dan was always going to step down (heh) this term and hand it over to Jacinta to let her get some time in the top job before the next election.

3 years is the same amount of time Brumby got after Bracks resigned, although he lost an election by 1 seat. Jacinta will have a dozen ribbon cutting ceremonies before the next election for hospitals, schools, the metro tunnel and westgate tunnel along with a dozen new train stations. She was also in charge of the big build program for a few years so will no doubt keep that rolling where the budget allows it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Comstar posted:

Jacinta Allan? yes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Synthbuttrange posted:

my pants zipper

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Also don't bother catching up on Warren Mundine's press club address, it's the same baseless shite that the no campaign loves to trot out at every opportunity.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Recoome posted:

Also don't bother catching up on Warren Mundine's press club address, it's the same baseless shite that the no campaign loves to trot out at every opportunity.

with an absolutely bizarre aside to Chapelle thrown in for good measure

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/gasugasu1984/status/1706081858080158108

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

hambeet posted:

Jacinta Allan? yes.

If she lasts the same length of time it will be her honor to announce the tolls on the eastern freeway.

Not sure what other tunnels she can dig. Still a lot of rail crossings to remove.

Can’t think she’ll be cutting ribbons on bike paths though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking at the actual voice changes, it seems like a lot of weird effort being put in from both sides to make sure an indigenous committee gets set up and can provide advice to govt but be otherwise fairly toothless? Am I reading the changes right or is there a hidden paragraph about death squads somewhere?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Recoome posted:

Dictator Comrade Danandrews “The Bat Man” Andrews, who single handedly chained the border shut, has left the building

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looking at the actual voice changes, it seems like a lot of weird effort being put in from both sides to make sure an indigenous committee gets set up and can provide advice to govt but be otherwise fairly toothless? Am I reading the changes right or is there a hidden paragraph about death squads somewhere?

You can get informed here https://www.riotinto.com/en/news/trending-topics/voice-to-parliament

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What corruption lol every time they've tried to catch him for something it's been nothing?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Synthbuttrange posted:

it's a weird toothless proposal because it came out of noel pearson working with some conservative legal figures to figure out a constitutional amendment that would do Something more than just symbolic recognition but be able to get bipartisan support and therefore have a decent chance of passing. it then took on a life of its own via the process leading up to the uluru statement but also completely failed to get bipartisan support

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lih posted:

it's a weird toothless proposal because it came out of noel pearson working with some conservative legal figures to figure out a constitutional amendment that would do Something more than just symbolic recognition but be able to get bipartisan support and therefore have a decent chance of passing. it then took on a life of its own via the process leading up to the uluru statement but also completely failed to get bipartisan support

Also it's still just symbolic.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

tiny toll gates for slugs, its despicable really

giant bear?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Polar bears are only in the Arctic circle, not Antarctica. The editor or writer who posted it is like "Antarctica? Oh yeah, with the snow and polar bears and penguins, and stuff", for people who can't remember or don't care about major continents.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 26, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
oh yeah

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
arctic circle = bear circle

antarctic circle = not bear circle

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bald Stalin posted:

Megan Davis has written at length how there needs to be a level of creativity in treaty making which the Voice is but one component, amongst other things.

Right now, the listening to First Nations people by the powers that be are toothless. I’d raise the words of Yunupingu when he said “They do not listen because they do not have to”. Having a constitutionally enshrined voice means they in some form, the Coalition can’t just blow it away completely on a whim, which is the fate of many other representative bodies.

Symbols have power - it’s the flags we wield and the days we wield them. What’s the point of changing the date? January 26 is just symbolic right? What about the colonial symbols on our flags? Would changing it even matter if it’s just symbolic? Maybe read some of your theory around how capital cloaks itself in the symbols of authority and righteousness.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Recoome posted:

Megan Davis has written at length how there needs to be a level of creativity in treaty making which the Voice is but one component, amongst other things.

Right now, the listening to First Nations people by the powers that be are toothless. I’d raise the words of Yunupingu when he said “They do not listen because they do not have to”. Having a constitutionally enshrined voice means they in some form, the Coalition can’t just blow it away completely on a whim, which is the fate of many other representative bodies.

Symbols have power - it’s the flags we wield and the days we wield them. What’s the point of changing the date? January 26 is just symbolic right? What about the colonial symbols on our flags? Would changing it even matter if it’s just symbolic? Maybe read some of your theory around how capital cloaks itself in the symbols of authority and righteousness.

This is broadly my view

It may be largely symbolic but if we're forced to choose between a positive symbol and a negative one it seems obvious

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lih posted:

It had bipartisan support, this is the thing that also gets lost in the noise.

What we are seeing from the Coalition is nothing more than partisan politics and another grab at winning the culture war. If the Coalition/Dutton was so concerned about First Nations rights, they'd have listened to them while they were in government rather than funding non indigenous organisations over community support because communities can't slap together as slick of a slide deck.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Recoome posted:

It had bipartisan support, this is the thing that also gets lost in the noise.

What we are seeing from the Coalition is nothing more than partisan politics and another grab at winning the culture war. If the Coalition/Dutton was so concerned about First Nations rights, they'd have listened to them while they were in government rather than funding non indigenous organisations over community support because communities can't slap together as slick of a slide deck.

it never did, actually. turnbull immediately rejected it as pm, and then morrison avoided the idea as much as possible, only coming up with a vague plan to legislate it but not have a referendum.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Recoome posted:

Dictator Comrade Danandrews “The Bat Man” Andrews, who single handedly chained the border shut, has left the building
accidently read this as 'chained the border slut' and had a new view on why he was resigning

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Ultimately it was slug gate that did Andrews in.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

What we are seeing from the Coalition is nothing more than partisan politics and another grab at winning the culture war. If the Coalition/Dutton was so concerned about First Nations rights, they'd have listened to them while they were in government rather than funding non indigenous organisations over community support because communities aren't their mates from private school

FTFY

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

What we are seeing from the Coalition is nothing more than partisan politics and another grab at winning the culture war.

The problem is that the Coalition is only a part of what we're seeing, and not even a particularly big one, and we're making a mistake if we continue to ignore that.

From platforms like Rebel News to Craig Kelly to Twitter accounts like Alexandra Marshall, there are plenty of ways to push narratives to persuade people to vote no.

Cos yeah, this is a culture war, and you don't need to register a political party and win office to to put propaganda on telegram.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The problem is that the Coalition is only a part of what we're seeing, and not even a particularly big one, and we're making a mistake if we continue to ignore that.

From platforms like Rebel News to Craig Kelly to Twitter accounts like Alexandra Marshall, there are plenty of ways to push narratives to persuade people to vote no.

Cos yeah, this is a culture war, and you don't need to register a political party and win office to to put propaganda on telegram.

ellymelly is the most powerful mind on twitter and ITT we stan a queen

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

And as we all know, nothing should ever be done for symbolic reasons alone. Symbolism itself has no meaning in the discourse nor the views of the public. What do you mean overton window?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Any sort of symbolism in parliament is bad!

Also in parliament: https://peo.gov.au/understand-our-p...secular-nation/

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
dont forget the mace that you arent even allowed to hit senators with

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RIP Dictator Dan.

He benefitted so so much from the fact that the Vic/ Libs are quite arguably the worst opposition in the country. And still bear the stain of Jeff "loving" Kennett.

I wonder who the next leader will be and how they'll handle it.

Coz whilst the VicLibs will still be poo poo, I reckon your SkyNews and Herald Sun types won't have quite the same victriol and unhinged hate for the new person. Hopefully condemning the posh fascist cunts to longer in the wilderness.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hahaha of course they will, whoever comes next will be dodgy dan's protege

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

I reckon your SkyNews and Herald Sun types won't have quite the same victriol and unhinged hate for the new person.

anyone who wasn't the literal face of the lockdowns will have a significant advantage, but that won't stop those types from trying.

Anyway new chanting street gangs just dropped:

https://x.com/WhiteRoseSocAU/status/1706845281441181904?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Coz whilst the VicLibs will still be poo poo, I reckon your SkyNews and Herald Sun types won't have quite the same victriol and unhinged hate for the new person. Hopefully condemning the posh fascist cunts to longer in the wilderness.

it'll just take a little while to spin up the Hate Machines again, we'll return to normalism soon enough