Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

M_Gargantua posted:

Normally I see that passed back through a LAN port, rather than the WAN port though.

Like that:

That linked design only works because the UDM has a wan + multiple LAN ports but it’s somewhat inefficient as it’s wasting two built in ports.

Sub interfaces on the WAN port would let you do it with one port instead of three. Useful if you were loading pfsense on an old PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I think there is something I am not understanding about the Unifi firewall rules. If the goal is to block inter-vlan routing, what's the difference between doing this with a LAN In rule vs. a LAN Out rule?

edit: It seems that a LAN In rule to block inter-vlan traffic is effective for preventing devices on the LAN. The LAN Out rule is effective for devices not on the LAN (e.g. connected via Wireguard). Is that right? If so...maybe it makes sense now

fletcher fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 8, 2023

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

fletcher posted:

I think there is something I am not understanding about the Unifi firewall rules. If the goal is to block inter-vlan routing, what's the difference between doing this with a LAN In rule vs. a LAN Out rule?

edit: It seems that a LAN In rule to block inter-vlan traffic is effective for preventing devices on the LAN. The LAN Out rule is effective for devices not on the LAN (e.g. connected via Wireguard). Is that right? If so...maybe it makes sense now

Sounds like you got it.

IN and OUT is written in the perspective of the firewall’s interface. So LAN_IN is traffic ingressing into the firewall from that network whereas LAN_OUT is traffic egressing from the firewall into that network.

Most of time the configuration is done on the IN as it’s closer to the source. Something different about Unifi is that while it has a implicit deny at the end (like most ACLs do), when you create a local network, it automatically creates explicit allow rules with other networks.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cyks posted:

Sounds like you got it.

IN and OUT is written in the perspective of the firewall’s interface. So LAN_IN is traffic ingressing into the firewall from that network whereas LAN_OUT is traffic egressing from the firewall into that network.

Most of time the configuration is done on the IN as it’s closer to the source. Something different about Unifi is that while it has a implicit deny at the end (like most ACLs do), when you create a local network, it automatically creates explicit allow rules with other networks.

Thanks for confirming! So to block inter vlan traffic for devices that are on the LAN, could you technically achieve it through either a LAN In or LAN Out rule then?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

fletcher posted:

Thanks for confirming! So to block inter vlan traffic for devices that are on the LAN, could you technically achieve it through either a LAN In or LAN Out rule then?

With multiple rules yes but they also have a feature called “traffic rules” that you should use instead.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/5546542486551

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Oysters Autobio posted:

I've been having internet speed issues on my desktop PC that seem to now be pointing to the modem being the issue.

I've tested the speeds through my router, tested it directly to the modem and even swapped out ethernet cables but all getting the same results.

I have a 300mbps cable internet plan but am only getting speeds of up to 70mbps. Everything is connected via CAT6 ethernet .

ISP sent out a technician who checked the coaxial and said "it's fine', showed me the screen on his testing device and it was all green (though this says nothing about speed). He also went into the basement to check if everything was connected properly and he said it looked fine.

He asked when I bought the current modem which I said 2017, so he said then it's probably time to buy a new one.

Router: TPLINK AC1760
Modem: TPLINK TC7650 DOCSIS 3.0

Router is a recent upgrade, but modem is from 2017. I bought it when I first moved to my current place (you can actually see my first post here where I listed that as an option. Now it's no longer listed apparently).

Check if there is some sort of QoS running on your TPLINK, that could be the culprit.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a standalone VPN hosting device that I can plug into a network? Normally I use my router with OpenVPN or whatever but the country I'm going to doesn't generally let you use your own hardware for the ISP, and I want to be able to just leave it behind, etc. The purpose would be to have the IP address that is there. I see the TP-Link ER605 V2 and stuff like that but have no idea if it's meant to be configured like that.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Is there a standalone VPN hosting device that I can plug into a network? Normally I use my router with OpenVPN or whatever but the country I'm going to doesn't generally let you use your own hardware for the ISP, and I want to be able to just leave it behind, etc. The purpose would be to have the IP address that is there. I see the TP-Link ER605 V2 and stuff like that but have no idea if it's meant to be configured like that.

You could use a raspberry pi and use PiVPN. You would have to be able to open a port on whatever router you are using.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I looked back a few pages and used the search, but not sure if it can handle something with a dot in the name. How are those GL.inet devices all over Amazon?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I looked back a few pages and used the search, but not sure if it can handle something with a dot in the name.

Put quotes around it and it'll work fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

astral posted:

Put quotes around it and it'll work fine.

Thanks!

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008
I'm in the market for a relatively small managed fanless switch. All it really needs to do is be quiet, not choke under load, play nicely with VLANs, and have at least 8 ports. It'd be nice if it didn't have any weird idiosyncratic reactions to the C3750X it'll be plugged into.

I'm currently leaning towards a used Cisco SG300-10 for $50, but I wanted to see if there was an obviously better option.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Unoriginality posted:

I'm in the market for a relatively small managed fanless switch. All it really needs to do is be quiet, not choke under load, play nicely with VLANs, and have at least 8 ports. It'd be nice if it didn't have any weird idiosyncratic reactions to the C3750X it'll be plugged into.

I'm currently leaning towards a used Cisco SG300-10 for $50, but I wanted to see if there was an obviously better option.

I've been using a Netgear GS108T for a handful of years and it's still chugging along reliably. As a bonus it accepts PoE power so it doesn't need to be located near a power outlet.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trying to set up an itty bitty home setup for experience. A friend gave me his old MS220. Apparrently it requires a paid license to use tho?

Are there any non-licensed equivalents you all could recommend, or are they pretty much all licebse-only? My setup would just be my home AIO Xfinity router in bridge mode, then switch, with my Raspberry Pi running Pihole and main PC plugged in. Prob a WAP too.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Trying to set up an itty bitty home setup for experience. A friend gave me his old MS220. Apparrently it requires a paid license to use tho?

Are there any non-licensed equivalents you all could recommend, or are they pretty much all licebse-only? My setup would just be my home AIO Xfinity router in bridge mode, then switch, with my Raspberry Pi running Pihole and main PC plugged in. Prob a WAP too.

Meraki requires a license to use and as far as I am aware, the only network gear vendor that does so. May as well trash it.

What exactly are you looking for? Sounds like you just need a five port switch with at least one port offering PoE (or use a PoE injector), in which case there's dozens of options out there for ~$50. Since you are planning to put the xfinity in bridge mode, what were you planning to use as a router?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im unsure, probably a Nighthawk or similar though that may be excessive for my needs. A TP-Link Archer may suffice.

Have a PA-220 as well which Im told can route, but subscription again.

Only goal is to get some physical experience outside Packet Tracer etc with a home network setup. I do some basic gaming but nothing crazy.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 16, 2023

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Hey network goons, looking to upgrade my current home network because even though it's working fine, I feel it could be Better.

Current setup:
Modem: SB6041
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
POE Switch: TP-Link TL-SG1008P
Extra AP: Unifi UAP AC Pro

I've got a few goals in mind
1) Isolate the IoT things in my house from the rest of my network (I understand the S in IoT stands for security)
2) Taking advantage of the 2.5Gb NIC on my new pc, and adding a 2.5Gb adapter or using link aggregation on my NAS (maybe add 2.5 to a couple other PCs too)
3) Device usage stats for the whole network(see which device is hogging the bandwidth at any time)
4) Wifi 6?

Not sure how to go about achieving those goals in terms of what sort of router/switch stuff I'd need. I get the sense that the Ubiquiti ecosystem could do basically what I want (based on my limited experience with the access point I have), but also it seems people have soured on them a bit due to lack of updates and requiring cloud login shenanigans. Is the TP-Link Omada stuff better liked? Also it seems like support for 2.5Gb ethernet is quite limited and very expensive for products that do support it, is it not hitting mainstream adoption yet?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I have fibre to the premesis that comes into my house downstairs in the living room. I have a hardline between my living room and home office upstairs.

I currently have my router in my living room but would like to move it to my office upstairs. The problem is I want my TV in the living room to be hard wired to the network.

Seeing as I would need to use the hard line to connect the fibre to the router upstairs I can't see a way of connecting the TV to the router short of running another discreet hard line between the office and living room.

I just wanted to check here incase there's a solution I'm not thinking of? There's no way of installing a switch before the router is there?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

I have fibre to the premesis that comes into my house downstairs in the living room. I have a hardline between my living room and home office upstairs.

I currently have my router in my living room but would like to move it to my office upstairs. The problem is I want my TV in the living room to be hard wired to the network.

Seeing as I would need to use the hard line to connect the fibre to the router upstairs I can't see a way of connecting the TV to the router short of running another discreet hard line between the office and living room.

I just wanted to check here incase there's a solution I'm not thinking of? There's no way of installing a switch before the router is there?

Is there a reason the TV needs to be hardwired? Like, streaming games to it in-network or something else really bandwidth and/or latency sensitive? If it's just for regular Netflix or whatever then I don't see why wifi wouldn't be fine for that purpose.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is there a reason the TV needs to be hardwired? Like, streaming games to it in-network or something else really bandwidth and/or latency sensitive? If it's just for regular Netflix or whatever then I don't see why wifi wouldn't be fine for that purpose.

Yeah, agreed - streaming videos for watching is basically The Case where higher latency options as long as bandwidth is sufficient will be fine.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, local streaming high bitrate re-muxes on Plex. In my experience it mostly works over WiFi but the hard wire makes the difference from working 90% of the time to 100%

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tea Bone posted:

I currently have my router in my living room but would like to move it to my office upstairs.
Why in particular

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
As far as the earlier mentioned getting a WLAN down in the cellar from a third floor apartment, I ultimately went with the LAN over powerline stuff. I found some German brand called Devolo, which makes a bunch of modules using the G.hn standard, where you can configure what kind of VDSL line you have, and make the modules stay mostly silent on the frequency bands up to 35MHz.

While there's some errors on the VDSL line, it's like 10-12 over a span of 15 minutes, according what my modem says. A far cry of the complaints of hundreds to thousands with modules running other older powerline standards.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tea Bone posted:

You can do it with VLANs without running a new cable.

But why move the router?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Why in particular

M_Gargantua posted:

You can do it with VLANs without running a new cable.

But why move the router?

The router is currently taking up space in the living room which could be better used.

But I suppose even if I were to move the router upstairs I would still need some form of switch downstairs so the space saving wouldn't be that huge anyway.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Like M_Gargantua said, if you get a managed switch and a router that both have VLAN support then you can do this using two different logical interfaces for VLAN 1 and 2 on the router:

code:
ISP
|
(VLAN 1)
|
Switch -- (VLANs 1 and 2) -- Router
|
(VLAN 2)
|
TV
As you guessed, however, a managed switch might not end up being any smaller than the router.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 17, 2023

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Middling decent wifi is like 5x faster than the highest bitrate remuxes I've ever seen. Doesn't apply if you have neighbors burning up the spectrum, I guess. Some TVs also only have 100 mbit ethernet ports. Something to be aware of.

If you want to do it, you need two VLAN-aware switches.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm looking for a new network switch, as I need more ports.

My current setup is a cable modem --> Edgerouter ER-X --> a unifi ap, and a tp-link 8 port switch --> computers

I have 2 vlans set up in the ER-X. I need 16+ ports, I do not need POE, and I do not need 10gbit. Aside from possibly vlans, I do not need any advanced switching.
I do like quiet and low power things.

Is it a better idea to have the vlan setup in the er-x configuration, or to do that with a managed switch?

Should I just go with the tp-link 16 port unmanaged switch ($70), the managed version ($95) or are any of the old used enterprise options a better option (eg, hp 1800-24g, brocade ???, dell something or another, etc)

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 18, 2023

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Netgear GS305E is a small inexpensive 5 port VLAN aware switch with some management settings.

I stumbled upon it recently trying to purchase a hub for network troubleshooting via wireshark. I ended up finding this switch with port mirroring which gave me effectively the same thing as a hub. It turns out a legit hub is impossible to find these days.

e:this was for the poster looking at VLAN stuff above

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm looking for a new network switch, as I need more ports.

My current setup is a cable modem --> Edgerouter ER-X --> a unifi ap, and a tp-link 8 port switch --> computers

I have 2 vlans set up in the ER-X. I need 16+ ports, I do not need POE, and I do not need 10gbit. Aside from possibly vlans, I do not need any advanced switching.
I do like quiet and low power things.

Is it a better idea to have the vlan setup in the er-x configuration, or to do that with a managed switch?

Should I just go with the tp-link 16 port unmanaged switch ($70), the managed version ($95) or are any of the old used enterprise options a better option (eg, hp 1800-24g, brocade ???, dell something or another, etc)

If you want multiple VLANs on one switch you need a managed switch, and unless you get a L3 capable switch, you need to configure them on your router as well. Or run two separate switches next to each other on different networks, I suppose.
No need for enterprise gear imo.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Apologies if this is not the proper thread, but I didn't see a generic internet service one. My situation is thus:

Bought a home last month and are about to move in. We figured that internet wouldn't be that much of an issue, as the previous owners have Verizon 5G, and we've been Verizon customers for over two decades. Come to find out, their tower is "full" right now so there is no option for us to get their home internet service. Same story with T-Mobile. Additionally, Xfinity doesn't have a line there and was asking for $13k to run one.

We both work from home, so decent internet is kind of a requirement, but we're running out of options. We've ordered a Starlink dish, but I really really really don't want to give any money to Elon. Does anyone know of any tricks with the wireless companies to get us in the door for the 5G home internet? Like, if I go in and buy 4 new iphones would they be able to "find space on the tower" for me?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Could look at a "business" account/service might be a little more but there may be additional space available, also could look at MNVOs that resell those services in the area, they may also have open space.

Also if you do want hard wired internet could reach out to some small mom and pop excavating companies/contractors, they can often trench in the cable for a fraction of the price Comcast charges and then they just come out and hook it up for wtvr their hookup fee is (typically nominal). My dad does this pretty often for peeps who live in the country or just an unfortunate area of town. (runs an excavation company)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Starlink is your best bet, despite Elon. Its cheaper for more reliable speed than cellular 5G. You'll probably need to get the starlink -> RJ45 adapter since the starlink router is not great and should be put into bridge mode. I ran that with the new dish for a year as a tech-demo/failover and it was really quite fast with reliable ping here in the new england forests.

Rakeris posted:

Also if you do want hard wired internet could reach out to some small mom and pop excavating companies/contractors, they can often trench in the cable for a fraction of the price Comcast charges and then they just come out and hook it up for wtvr their hookup fee is (typically nominal). My dad does this pretty often for peeps who live in the country or just an unfortunate area of town. (runs an excavation company)

Also worth talking with your neighbors/town and seeing if there is enough of you in a clump to just do your own Fiber ISP. Thats becoming more and more popular as the hardware costs have come down while the big telcoms refuse to run new lines.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 22, 2023

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Anyone here run into issues where the adguard dns docker just stops working with no error messages?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

bolind posted:

I need a sanity check on the following plan:

I'm building a garage and it, of course, needs some connectivity. I have (well, will have) a 50mm/2" conduit running to it, and my idea is to run an OS2 single mode fiber through it. The conduit is in two sections - about 12 meters and about 5 meters. The conduit is underground and part of it had already collected some water, so I'm thinking some armored/ruggedized direct burial type cable, perhaps something like this.

How dumb would it be to try to pull a pre-terminated patch cable?

Conversely, how expensive would it be to have a guy come out and terminate a naked cable?

Should I rather find some ruggedized Cat6? The argument for fiber, apart from the coolness factor, is that it's going to live next to high voltage cables, and that things potentially get submerged.

Ha. A year to the day and I have working internet in the garage.

Ended up getting 30 meters of this, which was surprisingly not overkill, length-wise.

Was able to pull the cable, even if pre-terminated. Was a bit of hassle but eventually succeeded.

Got some Single Mode BiDi transceivers, so I'm only using one of the fibers. Idea being that maybe one got broken in the installation.

It's working, curious to see the longevity of the cable, but I pulled pull cords as well, so next installation should be significantly easier.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question.

I have a work laptop where I do not have admin rights. Is there a way where I can use a VPN between the WiFi connection <-> work laptop?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Busy Bee posted:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question.

I have a work laptop where I do not have admin rights. Is there a way where I can use a VPN between the WiFi connection <-> work laptop?

What are you trying to accomplish? The work laptop probably already makes you use a VPN.

If you can't install or manage the computer the next best thing would be to connect it to it's own router that has a VPN session setup on it. One of those little travel routers could work.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

skipdogg posted:

What are you trying to accomplish? The work laptop probably already makes you use a VPN.

If you can't install or manage the computer the next best thing would be to connect it to it's own router that has a VPN session setup on it. One of those little travel routers could work.

I intend on traveling in a few weeks and want to be logging in from the country I'm based in.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 26, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Busy Bee posted:

I intend on traveling in a few weeks and want to be logging in from the country I'm based in.

This is a really bad idea unless your work is OK with it. Where I work, doing something like this is grounds for immediate termination. I work in a highly regulated environment though.

Yeah, you want a travel router though. The little GL.inet boxes on Amazon can setup the VPN tunnel and then you connect the work laptop to that. I've never used one of those specifically, but I have used a different brand of travel router to do the same. I use it to connect to my house when we're vacationing in Mexico and it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Busy Bee posted:

I would advise against this. You would be putting your job at risk