Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's probably that nobody noticed before, but ironically Brand has made people notice that the site exists and advertisers that were happy to slip under the radar are now worried people will see them funding it.

Brand is so virulently toxic he's opening up new pork markets of cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

I see Russell tweeted to his 11.3m followers on twitter that he's streaming on Rumble about how he's been silenced, at the same time the Met announce that more potential victims have come forward

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1706407810957803857

But we dont trust the met?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, 99, we don’t trust the Met to properly prosecute nonces and rapists because half of their staff are one. Keep up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is his audience that much bigger than the other people who've fled to it? I guess maybe individually? I thought crowder and walsh and them had pretty big audiences.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The others who fled are more internet famous, and so brands aren't worried about the average consumer's outrage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had thought brand was mostly just internet famous to be quite honest.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

they loving hate competition

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He went from TV famous to Hollywood famous to YouTube famous to nonce famous, which is about the worst time to announce you're moving to a new platform.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the plus side, apparently every bad take haver in the world is rushing to his defence so he will have a new and exciting audience of oiks on the platform and the rest of them get to be associated with horrific sex crimer russel brand.

Particularly exciting to see the leading lights of the terf brigade come out in favour of woman and child protector russel brand.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

finally, a politician brave enough to stand up against Big Sex Offender

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess we found the person credulous enough to be the target for "I have scrapped seven bins and taxes on meat."

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Interesting headline, using both senses of “taking on” like that

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1706537808003846253i try not to descend into screaming levels of unactionable hatred about politicians, but gently caress, she's commissioned glamourshots to be used in news stories of her big speech about how LGBTQ people in africa and the middle east who are literally being fitted for nooses because of a wave of anti-gay legislation funded and pushed by the same US christian fundamentalists who are backing her should just suck it up and dangle because they're probably pretending and anyway gently caress off we're full

bbc article:

getty photo archive:

i'm living in semi-exile from the uk, unable to come home and help support my aged parents at the time they need me most because of then-home secretary theresa may making it half-impossible for non-EU spouses to immigrate, and i think i still hate braverman more, by like a magnitude more. gently caress, how are we stuck with these monsters in every position of power!

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 26, 2023

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Holy poo poo I grew up just around the corner from there. That’s even more miserable than the depressing concrete “let’s make sure the poor really feel poor” towers on the road to Kew.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

I've changed my mind and I believe that every policeman must be armed with a sword and provided a horse and they have free reign to kill anyone they wish as long as they use the sword while riding the horse.

As long as they're on duty and under the limit.

What's the ulez say on horses? they tend to do more than ultra low amounts of emissions

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

gently caress you're carbon footprint, I've a horse outside

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally their carbon footprint is not greenhouse gases so much as leading to faecal footprints.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Beefeater1980 posted:

Holy poo poo I grew up just around the corner from there. That’s even more miserable than the depressing concrete “let’s make sure the poor really feel poor” towers on the road to Kew.

So I lived five minutes walk from here for years and from the outside it didn't actually look that bad, however I always assumed it was temporary while they "regenerated" that estate. I didn't realise they were meant to be a long term thing.

It's no surprise to me at all that the difficulties the community on that estate were facing has just been concentrated into a smaller more deprived area now the bulk of it is posh flats. What they've built is actually quite nice and would have been a great thing for the community if more of the existing residents had been given the new places. Some have but not enough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

What they've built is actually quite nice and would have been a great thing for the community if more of the existing residents had been given the new places.
Pruitt-Igoe dot dwg

Idea is fine with sufficient social maintenance, which nobody wants to plan and fund properly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A fun thread fable of getting a British train, extremely functional system you got there.

https://twitter.com/JamesNokise/status/1706433356186161479?t=GMOKO9YlpsuY1fdC1S6juw&s=19

If you don't use Twitter idk just ignore post, I cba finding a workaround

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1706433356186161479.html

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

quote:

Avanti will run the line for up to nine years, with the contract potentially terminated after three.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/19/avanti-west-coast-contract-train-delays-rmt-arriva-crosscountry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was once on my way back from edinburgh after attending a family do with some relatives and got stuck at berwick because the line had collapsed south of berwick. So they punted everyone off the train and berwick suddenly had hundreds of people from several trains all trying to find accomodation.

So I booked it ahead of everyone and managed to tie down a B&B until the rest of my gang caught up. I presume berwick saw a steady tide of irritable traingoers washing over it from the station that night.

love the british rail system

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

A fun thread fable of getting a British train, extremely functional system you got there.

https://twitter.com/JamesNokise/status/1706433356186161479?t=GMOKO9YlpsuY1fdC1S6juw&s=19

Closest tale i have to this was getting the train back from Glasgow after seeing The Melvins (supported by Flipper & Big Business, what a loving show). I was due back in Inverness with enough time to get home, change, shower and then get to a 13 hour night shift, except there was flooding north of Perth so the conductor suggested I stay on the train to Aberdeen rather than change, then get the Aberdeen Inverness train. Which wasn't ideal but I'd at least get to work even if it meant foregoing the shower. Or dinner. Except it turned out there was also flooding on the line to Aberdeen and the train had to go slow, meaning connection missed. After some dawdling ScotRail finally agreed to put on 5 or 6 taxis. Think we were 4 hours late in the end.

Somehow that seems reasonable next to this silliness. There was another tweet thread of a school trip who were on the train, 5 adults to 50 kids. And they were basically told "lol you're hosed then" because they couldn't have the appropriate 10/1 ratio of kids to adults in a taxi.

Never found out what happened there but even that it was contemplated leaving kids overnight stranded in Preston seems a damning indictment of our railways

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is something that speaks to my soul about "the train you are on has been cancelled"

Like that just makes perfect sense to me, of course that happens, that is exactly how things work here. Faceless robot tells you that the thing you're doing that's working fine has to stop, nobody knows why, but it happens anyway, the robot can't be wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh, I forgot about when I was in Sheffield I got a Cross Country to Edinburgh. Safe in the knowledge that I was headed to the terminal station I went to sleep as the train was nearing Leeds.

Woke up noticing that we were leaving Leeds the way we arrived and was really confused, I'd slept over an hour. Well, apparently everyone got off the train at a station, maybe York, and then was turned around headed for Southampton.

I still don't really understand what the gently caress happened there.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Of course this sort of thing would never actually happen, but it's entirely plausible that a dodgy taxi firm in Preston is in cahoots with the train-cancelling robot.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

There is something that speaks to my soul about "the train you are on has been cancelled"

Like that just makes perfect sense to me, of course that happens, that is exactly how things work here. Faceless robot tells you that the thing you're doing that's working fine has to stop, nobody knows why, but it happens anyway, the robot can't be wrong.
I like that there is not even a mention of asking "why has the train been cancelled?". Everyone knows it's futile, clearly the train manager who was the last to find out won't know, even if a reason was forthcoming it would be useless and probably a lie.

I just don't get trains now unless it's a very short journey. Even inner-city driving and parking is less hassle. Last time I went to Manchester I drove and my car got broken into; still less bother than dealing with trains.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

domhal posted:

Of course this sort of thing would never actually happen, but it's entirely plausible that a dodgy taxi firm in Preston is in cahoots with the train-cancelling robot.

This sounds like a plot summary for a Charles Stress novella, and is similarly eerily plausible

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Did this happen last night? The hotel next to Ayr station went on fire which inexplicably caused basically every service to be cancelled (including services that do not go through Ayr). My partner called me in a panic as she was stuck in central with no information, a board full of cancelled trains, no indication of replacement busses. Take a bus home instead you say? Would probably have worked if Stagecoach didn't decide to totally gut their rural services earlier in the year removing all of the stops from the single X that stops in our town.

She lucked out and managed to get a last chopper out of Saigon situaton, hopping on the last Glasgow to Carlisle train which had a stop with a connection to a local bus service (the local bus took 1hr 15 mins). The only other options after that would be a taxi or hotel (the hotel would probably have cost less).

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 26, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guess we can add "fires existing near different rail lines" to things which shut down british trains.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Highland clearances 2... but good this time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you think about it crofting is a lot like letting an airbnb...

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Humza sticking all the Landlords on a boat to start their new life in Canada.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of the few things I probably will miss about twitter is enjoying rare brendans.

OwlFancier posted:

Train immediately starts making videos on Rumble about covid19.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other option would be that the train goes through a switch out of reality itself and ends up on the express line to the bureaucracy dimension (the express line is delayed indefinitely)

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

keep punching joe posted:

Did this happen last night?

Happened on Friday. I was on a train South and was three hours late. Sad story behind it unfortunately which you can probably work out without me triggering folk.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Welcome to cancelled train world, Winston. Enjoy being stuck in Preston because the train you're on doesn't exist, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Highland clearances 2... but good this time.

The Clearance of course, famously perpetuated against the land owners.