Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kerbtree posted:

imagine a pipe that's exactly 10 golf balls long. If you put a new ball in, one of the existing ones pops out. You still have 10 balls in the pipe, but one of them is the new one, not the one you started with. You spent/transferred that one.

It's also important to note in British banking this isn't a metaphor, and all banks have massive warehouses in the countryside filled with pipes and golf balls to keep track of how much money is in all British banks.

It's why finance types like golf so much, it's literally just hitting money around all afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boxturret posted:

its all backdoors all the way down.

what I do on saturdays is none of your concern

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

“You misled all of us. Here’s a hundred dollars so you read my message about how you misled all of us. “

finally men can be findoms too

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Party Boat posted:

It's on Fox and uses the age-old trick of airing after the football because people will leave their TV on

It was me :cry: I had the game on in the background while I was doing chores and that show made it to the halfway point before I was able to switch it off.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I have One Weird Trick to avoid this: be a Bears fan and turn the game off in disgust during the third quarter

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

dr_rat posted:

It's also important to note in British banking this isn't a metaphor, and all banks have massive warehouses in the countryside filled with pipes and golf balls to keep track of how much money is in all British banks.

It's why finance types like golf so much, it's literally just hitting money around all afternoon.

Finally! Someone who knows what they’re on about!

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

deep dish peat moss posted:

Last night a new Dan Harmon show called Krapopolis premiered on Fox. It's an NFT cartoon. NFT holders get to vote on elements of the show and all that dumb bullshit.

Fox has proudly announced that Episode 1 is the highest-watched comedy telecast of 2023 so far with 3.6 million first day viewers:
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/krapopolis-premiere-ratings-viewers-1235734456/

The thing they're not proudly announcing is that the second episode aired immediately after the first and literally 50% of viewers did not stick around for the second episode, which had 1.8 million viewers.

The official subreddit, /r/Krapopolis/, has 207 subscribers and managed a whopping 23 comments and 11 upvotes for the first episode discussion thread. The second episode discussion thread has 3 comments.

The NFTs cost about $150 each. Of the 10,000+ NFTs (called Krap Chickens) in the collection, approximately 3000 of them were minted, with around 1350 unique owners.

:allears:

ah man, I thought it was a good vehicle for matt berry and duncan trussell

guess harmon isnt going to find his next r&m

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Harmon and Roiland are both mired in abuse allegations so the chances of one or both going right wing in the next couple of years are high. That’s the new move: get caught doing something morally repugnant, claim that woke libs are trying to cancel you for speaking truth, and enjoy not only a career renaissance but an influx of money from the most vicious, resentful people on the planet.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Harmon and Roiland are both mired in abuse allegations so the chances of one or both going right wing in the next couple of years are high. That’s the new move: get caught doing something morally repugnant, claim that woke libs are trying to cancel you for speaking truth, and enjoy not only a career renaissance but an influx of money from the most vicious, resentful people on the planet.

Roiland is already pals with Elon Musk and thinks he's brilliant so he's probably been right wing for awhile.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Finally! Someone who knows what they’re on about!

No, OP is wrong. I'm giving them $100 to illustrate how wrong they are!

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

WSJ is reporting Binance is "melting down". It's behind a paywall though. If they're saying it I'd believe things are dire.

https://www.wsj.com/finance/currencies/the-worlds-biggest-crypto-firm-is-melting-down-338b8e17

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Great source of advice: the video stream with some guy vaping half the time, a dude in a bear costume and some failson eating directly from a quart of ice cream.

Nov 6, 2002

Big rear end On Fire posted:

WSJ is reporting Binance is "melting down". It's behind a paywall though. If they're saying it I'd believe things are dire.

https://www.wsj.com/finance/currencies/the-worlds-biggest-crypto-firm-is-melting-down-338b8e17

Good for bitcoin tho??

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Great source of advice: the video stream with some guy vaping half the time, a dude in a bear costume and some failson eating directly from a quart of ice cream.

these guys future cryptoland residents?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Big rear end On Fire posted:

i got you

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I understand financial mockery but ice cream shaming is just over the line. Unless it was mint or something.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So uh what is the deal with the bear costume

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Alan Smithee posted:

ryan cohen's teddy books gmerica to the moon in my brand new lambo

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Look at this jerk asking about the bear costume without donating $100 first.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Alan Smithee posted:

ryan cohen, gamestop ceo, owns a trademark/llc named Teddy that he uses to publish his lovely children's book. the bbyq "thesis" is that he's going to swoop in at the last second and buyout BBBY for billions of dollars and use it to launch Teddy, his...Amazon killer? The shorts will then be destroyed and the stock price will go to thousands per share.

their last best hope is that the gamestop CEO gives them billions of dollars for no reason.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Trillhouse posted:

ryan cohen, gamestop ceo, owns a trademark/llc named Teddy that he uses to publish his lovely children's book. the bbyq "thesis" is that he's going to swoop in at the last second and buyout BBBY for billions of dollars and use it to launch Teddy, his...Amazon killer? The shorts will then be destroyed and the stock price will go to thousands per share.

their last best hope is that the gamestop CEO gives them billions of dollars for no reason.

I've heard variations on this that include merging with Blockbuster to take on Amazon's streaming business (as if Amazon wasn't already trying to kill Prime). It's like nostalgia for businesses from the 80s and 90s is supposed to just ignore economics and voltron together because wouldn't it be cool if it did that. And then you sink $120K into stock for a dead towel store and are legitimately surprised it ruined you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Look, I'm going to laugh at them, but you also have to respect the grift.

If I could get 1/4 of $15k (assuming the bear gets an equal share) for a couple hours doing any of that for an audience of credulous morons? gently caress, I'd probably sit between Teddy, Mr. Vape, and Vanilla Ice there all day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Trillhouse posted:

Lmao what the gently caress

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look, I'm going to laugh at them, but you also have to respect the grift.

If I could get 1/4 of $15k (assuming the bear gets an equal share) for a couple hours doing any of that for an audience of credulous morons? gently caress, I'd probably sit between Teddy, Mr. Vape, and Vanilla Ice there all day.

“No way man I bought the suit I should get at least a third!”

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Their conspiracy is that Ryan Cohen their billionaire savior was in the suit. Because that's a thing billionaires do

Nov 6, 2002

My thoughts

I think numbers 1, 2, and 3 that I identified above were all a major part of the timing and invitation of the live PP Show. After watching, I also believe that we were expecting a doc drop tonight. My thought is that something unexpected happened at the last minute, and the RC team could not / did not drop the doc in time. IMO his frequent bathroom breaks (which could legitimately be a normal bladder thing) were to check his phone for any status update.

I also got an uneasy feeling on two points.

His body language was just a little too off. A delayed doc when things are locked in tighter than a military bunker: I don't believe this would have caused the more tense/closed body language I was seeing. Certainly a disappointment not to have the doc drop during the show, but his body language and physically closed nature was definitely noted. Did a hedgie curveball emerge last minute that RC and team are battling with?
Pulte placed an odd amount of emphasis on "remember, this play could go either way." His other comments on the stock and potential outcomes were more laid back and just preceded with "NFA I'm a degen yada yada." His emphasis on the unknown of the outcome seemed ... different than what we normally here.
Both of these above, combined with the bathroom breaks, checking the phone, closed/tense body language (again, relative to what we have seen of him before live), make me think there was supposed to be a doc drop but a hedgie curveball held it up last minute.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Lurking BBBY and thePPShow, it seems like they are really into reaction GIFs. Which I guess tracks with their overall obsession with reviving social phenomena that died out years ago.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I've heard variations on this that include merging with Blockbuster to take on Amazon's streaming business (as if Amazon wasn't already trying to kill Prime). It's like nostalgia for businesses from the 80s and 90s is supposed to just ignore economics and voltron together because wouldn't it be cool if it did that. And then you sink $120K into stock for a dead towel store and are legitimately surprised it ruined you.

If memory serves, the whole GMErica Fanfiction Universe is that Teddy, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Bye Bye Baby merge to become an amazon killer, Blockbuster and AMC merge to kill Netflix and become the new streaming service of choice, Gamestop (because it has NFTs, you see) will become the new bank, and the shills and hedgies will redacted for extreme violence, and all the loyal apes will become billionaires and have wife-changing money.

Nov 6, 2002

Neito posted:

If memory serves, the whole GMErica Fanfiction Universe is that Teddy, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Bye Bye Baby merge to become an amazon killer, Blockbuster and AMC merge to kill Netflix and become the new streaming service of choice, Gamestop (because it has NFTs, you see) will become the new bank, and the shills and hedgies will redacted for extreme violence, and all the loyal apes will become billionaires and have wife-changing money.

You forgot Sears!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Any updates on Dan Olson's video on this whole mess?

Nov 6, 2002

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It says 'bears' right there! We're so back!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A podcast this morning had one of those autofed ads telling me "Bed Bath and Beyond is back!" and I was thinking how that ad must have gotten some of these doofuses hopes up for a second.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/smtuffy/status/1706672359313175017?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

SBF puff pieces coming out.

Nov 6, 2002

Nothing will ever top that NYT puff piece on Elizabeth Holmes.

Except maybe the puff piece on the lady who ran over two children.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

the author of the New Yorker article is a "former hedge fund analyst", and you have exactly one guess as to which school she holds a masters' degree from

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Hmm libertarian simpletons making a mascot out of a bear, now why does that sound familar

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Blotto_Otter posted:

the author of the New Yorker article is a "former hedge fund analyst", and you have exactly one guess as to which school she holds a masters' degree from

uMass Amherst?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My thoughts

I think numbers 1, 2, and 3 that I identified above were all a major part of the timing and invitation of the live PP Show. After watching, I also believe that we were expecting a doc drop tonight. My thought is that something unexpected happened at the last minute, and the RC team could not / did not drop the doc in time. IMO his frequent bathroom breaks (which could legitimately be a normal bladder thing) were to check his phone for any status update.

I also got an uneasy feeling on two points.

His body language was just a little too off. A delayed doc when things are locked in tighter than a military bunker: I don't believe this would have caused the more tense/closed body language I was seeing. Certainly a disappointment not to have the doc drop during the show, but his body language and physically closed nature was definitely noted. Did a hedgie curveball emerge last minute that RC and team are battling with?
Pulte placed an odd amount of emphasis on "remember, this play could go either way." His other comments on the stock and potential outcomes were more laid back and just preceded with "NFA I'm a degen yada yada." His emphasis on the unknown of the outcome seemed ... different than what we normally here.
Both of these above, combined with the bathroom breaks, checking the phone, closed/tense body language (again, relative to what we have seen of him before live), make me think there was supposed to be a doc drop but a hedgie curveball held it up last minute.

Good grief, this person is so agonizingly close to keying in on this being a grift, and then they veer right back into insanity.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

"One institutional trader told The Wall Street Journal that his company has conducted fire drills to withdraw its assets from Binance quickly in the event of a meltdown."

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Southern Cassowary posted:

"One institutional trader told The Wall Street Journal that his company has conducted fire drills to withdraw its assets from Binance quickly in the event of a meltdown."

I read this in Dr Nick's voice.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 26, 2023