Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They spent too much time on the stupid campaign lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In fairness, it's probably the best campaign a Diablo game has ever had.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That's Diablo 1 erasure

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’ll probably replay the campaign for s2 launch. It was pretty fun.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
doing it once for SC and once for HC was enough for me. was that something that ever got changed? normally progress between SC/HC are totally separate but campaign progress i could see changing

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What parts of Diablo 4 qualify it as Early Access?

Crafting, NMDs, affixes, enchanting, in game events, horses, world leveling, loot control, ui issues, paragon & skill resets, quest finding, renown, gems, resistances lol, Uber uniques

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

https://www.eurogamer.net/diablo-4-development-plagued-by-chaos-and-mismanagement-claims-new-report posted:

As a result of its development upheaval, Diablo 4 is said to have seen multiple internal, unannounced release dates over the years, with Activision at one point floating 2021 as a release goal. That reportedly shifted to December 2022 following the game's reveal at BlizzCon 2019, but developers are said to have "appealed for more time to avoid massive cuts to the game". That lead to a revised release goal of April 2023, but the team "felt it still needed more time", whereupon launch was reportedly shifted to 6th June next year.

"We're at the point where they're not willing to delay the game anymore," one current Blizzard Albany employee told the Post. "So we all just have to go along and figure out how much we're willing to hurt ourselves to make sure the game gets released in a good enough state."

[...]
Unsurprisingly, employees the publication spoke to say Diablo 4's strained development process could impact both the quality of the game - some believe it will be "fun" while others describe it as "mediocre but passable" - and employee health.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Calling something early access because you don’t like it feels like something they should be confined to chat windows of twitch streamers.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's not early access, it's good bones.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Diablo 4 isn't early access, there's just near universal consensus that a year after release it might be as good as other ten year old arpgs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Game sure could use rotating camera angle in tyool 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's probably a bunch of things in the game that would have gaps and unfinished surfaces if you looked at them from any other angle.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

Game sure could use rotating camera angle in tyool 2023

Absolutely loving not

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

A zoom out tho

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's probably a bunch of things in the game that would have gaps and unfinished surfaces if you looked at them from any other angle.

They would have to like.. create 3d models for stuff *GASP*

Tiny Timbs posted:

Absolutely loving not

I am sorry old person, progress cannot wait for you anymore

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

flashman posted:

A zoom out tho

This would devalue our prized cosmetics paid for from our children's college fund and health insurance savings BRO

No, I want to see my excellent divine bracers from all angles but NO ZOOM OUT!!!!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mr. Pickles posted:

And those prefabs are only tidied up and made to look nice from one angle. Like how the only time you're allowed to look up at a skybox is in a few, very limited static vistas.

We are never getting a rotating camera.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

flashman posted:

A zoom out tho

okay but too many people would potentially be on your screen and all of their stash's will load

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tonetta posted:

okay but too many people would potentially be on your screen and all of their stash's will load

Players just want the opportunity to see the monsters from equal distance as the monsters see and attack them. The light radius mechanic is not in the game so how absurd is it that monsters can attack players from miles and miles away but players only see and interact with objects in a few yard radius

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah because the game is so difficult currently

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Getting 360 noscoped by a corpse bow from offscreen feels bad

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Players just want the opportunity to see the monsters from equal distance as the monsters see and attack them. The light radius mechanic is not in the game so how absurd is it that monsters can attack players from miles and miles away but players only see and interact with objects in a few yard radius
Trying to keep track of what is happening outside your visible area and how the map looks is one of the few skill elements remaining in this game. Do people basically just want Cookie Clicker?

It's like saying you want all FPS'es to turn field of view up to 360 degrees because you just want to see what's happening behind you.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Getting 360 noscoped by a corpse bow from offscreen feels bad
May I recommend Ninja Gaiden 1 on Xbox. Visions of *being surrounded by 10 explosive-kunai-throwing ninja and developing a continuous-dodging-and-iframes offensive style that dodges perpendicular to the ninjas you can't currently see to avoid the kunai's you have no chance of seeing coming*. What I'm saying is: git gud. What i'm also saying is: a zoomout makes the game a whole ton easier and things offscreen not being allowed to hurt you would be dumb and boring.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The most unused feature of the game feels like the open world itself. In other open world games, you see something interesting, you can go poke around there. The Zelda's are the biggest example of this done really well. The camera angle of Diablo 4 obviously makes this a moot point, plus I mean...you're just looking for monsters to beat up, there's nothing more complex than that.

What it does offer is the opportunity for really large scale encounters, and I'm hoping we see stuff like that in the future.

Edit: I'm imagining stuff like, say, descriptions of battle from the end of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bisse posted:

Trying to keep track of what is happening outside your visible area and how the map looks is one of the few skill elements remaining in this game. Do people basically just want Cookie Clicker?

It's like saying you want all FPS'es to turn field of view up to 360 degrees because you just want to see what's happening behind you.

In truth all I want is to keep playing the game and the only mode Im willing to pour hours into atm is Hardcore, but I dont wanna play that and die in a cave by almost invisible arrows fired from offscreen

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Bisse posted:

getting one shot off screen by an untelegraphed ability is actually one of the most unfun things I can think of in any video game, and there's nothing skillful about running past every hallway on the off chance a skeleton archer already fired down it as you turned the corner. this isn't loving tarkov, nor a pvp game, I shouldn't have to tediously check every angle for some poo poo that I can't even see in a game that the power fantasy is that you go into a room and press a button and the whole screen eplodes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Pickles posted:

Play an ARPG where you have to manage camera angles on top of everything else and you’ll live to regret your words

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

harrygomm posted:

i mean that’s probably classifies it as a shorter game, but not really early access though? idk EA games i’ve played have typically been extremely obviously lacking last act/major mechanics/finishing touches like voice acting and cutscenes

i didn’t see any of that here

I mean you can call it whatever you want. It's just longer for people to type out "D4 is not an EA game but it has less content and less thought through design than a game that is literally in EA."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

These are FUN. My pulverise druid has become even more 'hits either do nothing or destroy everything on screen.'

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Grim Dawn and I think Torchlight have rotatable cameras, and I never use them because they're disorienting and pointless. I actually turned the keybind for it off in GD

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Bisse posted:

1/10

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"Good bones", which either on purpose or not implies that Acti-Blizz will add the meat later, is just a euphemism for "early access". You'd literally see people say the exact thing about games that aren't fully out on Steam, if they are well regarded enough.

Like, how the hell is D3 beating D4 on Twitch viewership? People are more keen to watch someone else play the XYth season from a game that released over a decade ago instead of the new Acti-Blizz Diablo hotness?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mr. Pickles posted:

Bisse posted:

extremely cursed opinions

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

KazigluBey posted:

Like, how the hell is D3 beating D4 on Twitch viewership?

12 million sales with these clown show numbers lol

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"

Mr. Pickles posted:

This would devalue our prized cosmetics paid for from our children's college fund and health insurance savings BRO

No, I want to see my excellent divine bracers from all angles but NO ZOOM OUT!!!!

If anything in the camera should zoom in and pull other players views towards your $25 horse armour.
How would they know what to buy otherwise?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

KazigluBey posted:

Like, how the hell is D3 beating D4 on Twitch viewership? People are more keen to watch someone else play the XYth season from a game that released over a decade ago instead of the new Acti-Blizz Diablo hotness?

New D3 season, old D4 season...?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bisse posted:

May I recommend Ninja Gaiden 1 on Xbox. Visions of *being surrounded by 10 explosive-kunai-throwing ninja and developing a continuous-dodging-and-iframes offensive style that dodges perpendicular to the ninjas you can't currently see to avoid the kunai's you have no chance of seeing coming*. What I'm saying is: git gud. What i'm also saying is: a zoomout makes the game a whole ton easier and things offscreen not being allowed to hurt you would be dumb and boring.

the guy that made ninja gaiden has games that involve underage girls fighting in skimpy outfits. and blizzard is full of sexual harassers. what I'm saying is: people that like offscreen attacks are sex offenders

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How many hours of D3 Twitch are you knuckleheads watching?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i'm old school and play games myself instead of watching other ppl play them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even if you like D4 there's nothing really "watchable" about it. In D2 the runs are like 90 seconds tops with the ever so slight chance of epic drops and in D3 things explode at a phenomenal rate at speeds of 3,000 m/h. What's there to do in D4, watch some guy slowly walk from vendor to vendor evaluating if 1.6% increase in vulnerable damage is worth it.