Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sedgr posted:

JD made out just fine. Plus shes part ancient worm so she would have been bored with a regular vacation anyway though she did seem annoyed a few times.

Yeah at the very end. Days were wasted with Worf's shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Jadzia and Worf are a really good match. Like I really liked their romance because I feel like Jadzia was like " gently caress yeah I'll marry a klingon this is going to be awesome".

edit:

Alright loving lets go just got to the Tuvix episode of Voyager.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 26, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Jadzia and Worf are a really good match. Like I really liked their romance because I feel like Jadzia was like " gently caress yeah I'll marry a klingon this is going to be awesome".

edit:

I liked how the LD episode everyone was all "janeway totally murdered that guy" but then they do the exact same solution.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Borg nomads showing up in your solar system, and you're hosed.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Hollismason posted:

edit:

If Tuvix was part coffee, would Janeway keep him as a never ending source of fluids? Or would she still kill him just for one more cup?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

excuse me i ordered prune juice, EXTRA LARGE

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this is my prune juice grippin' hand

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

I liked how the LD episode everyone was all "janeway totally murdered that guy" but then they do the exact same solution.

To be fair they accidentally got to the point where it wasn't really murder anymore. If anything they died when they all got beamed to the brig and turned into the fleshblob.

I did like that before that their solution was 'this is beyond us, let's send them to Earth and let a hundred researchers scratch their heads over it'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 26, 2023

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

this is my prune juice grippin' hand

i want that figure just to pose it scowling angrily with prune juice in one hand and a bat’leth in the other standing on the beach on risa

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alexandriao posted:

lol. human probes destroyed this planet. the people living there are diseased and ill and hostile, generations of suffering accidentally caused by human hands, they killed a man because they were pissed off.

Janeway's immediate attitude? Welp, they refused our help, let's gently caress off now !!!

Don't forget the followup; Shoot them all (with Stun settings) and let God sort them out afterwards to force their atmosphere-fixing solution through without interference and save the hostages.

Also lol at bringing back Joe Carey just to off him in right in Sickbay. Never brought anyone back from worse in sickbay, nosiree!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

On a related note, do Borg drones stop ageing once they're assimilated? (And out of the maturation pods if that's where they came from.) Are they basically immortal?

I don't think so, but it would depend on the species. A normal human then can live 130 years? Maybe 150? Bones was still alive during TNG. Borg have a clean diet, go for long walks every day, stay out of direct sunlight, don't smoke, drink, or do drugs, and have easy access to prosthetic replacements for any failing biological systems. So they should be able to stretch that out at least a few decades. But eventually the brain is going to fail and then you've just got a robot, not a cyborg.

We know programmed cell death isn't unavoidable though, because cancer exists. Cancer cells keep replicating until they kill you, but they don't die of old age. If they could :techno: cancer immortality could be possible.

Maybe that's what most of the trillions in the core are. Trillions of geriatric borg who just won't die.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The Boomer Collective

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Borg drones probably don't get cancer because the nanoprobes would monitor their tissue and correct genetic errors, but if they assimilated someone who had it, they'd be able to analyse it and incorporate the benefits without any of the downsides. Considering how common it is, they've definitely already done that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah but do they get noroviruses? Because like with how crowded they are, they would just spread throughout whole borg cubes in hours, and like how many toilets do those things even have!

The plague ridden cruise ships of the stars the are!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I never got why Tuvix wasnt just transporter cloned and then separated, you could probably do it in one go then you got even more crewmembers, honestly felt like they never transporter cloned enough people seems like fun

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tiberius Christ posted:

I never got why Tuvix wasnt just transporter cloned and then separated, you could probably do it in one go then you got even more crewmembers, honestly felt like they never transporter cloned enough people seems like fun

The practical difficulties here are enormous. How are they supposed to get enough Leola root if they keep cloning people? It's just implausible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiberius Christ posted:

They don't have the ability to deliberately transporter clone. Or replicate anything alive.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Stuff like the Riker transporter clone or Kirk getting split into his Good and Evil sides were accidents caused by unusual circumstances that would be difficult to replicate even if they weren't stuck in the Delta Quadrant.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

'this is beyond us, let's send them to Earth and let a hundred researchers scratch their heads over it'.

Also a solution not available to janeway.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
do borg poop.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe that's what most of the trillions in the core are. Trillions of geriatric borg who just won't die.

Assimilation rewrites the victim's DNA and drones do things like eat energy and survive in vacuum, who knows how long their organics last.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd be a neat idea that as drones become less viable to work due to age but they're still cognitive they get transferred in to the centre of the collective, where less labour is needed but instead they can contribute to the greatest concentration of thought and intelligence.

Maybe in the unicomplexes there are just shelves of ancient drone brains in jars.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we've never seen the borg homeworld have we?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

We've seen their big multicomplex floating in space, they probably think settling on giant rocks is a waste of time

Oh wait, in first contact we see borgified earth so maybe thats before they scoop up big chunks of technology

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They decided that the space unicomplexes were the closest thing they have now to a 'homeworld', I think. If they ever had an originating world it's just another borgified planet that's been drained of all resources, nothing special.

Tiberius Christ posted:

they probably think settling on giant rocks is a waste of time

Nah planets are full of useful elements to stripmine. They're probably basically all giant mine/refineries though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 26, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

They decided that the space unicomplexes were the closest thing they have now to a 'homeworld', I think. If they ever had an originating world it's just another borgified planet that's been drained of all resources, nothing special.

That's kind of the sense I got from that Shatner book where Kirk pressed the "stop Borging" button on the Borg planet. It seemed like it was such an ancient part of Borg space that nothing was actually happening on it, just huge complexes of technology humming away eternally, abandoned but for some long-lost function within the deep Collective.

Maybe I layered my own poo poo onto that. But regardless it seemed very Borg that the birthplace of their kind was so beneath notice, like a neolithic village buried deep below a modern superhighway.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God I hope lower decks has an episode where boimler finds the Borg version of runk and kills the process with like a button press

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

God I hope lower decks has an episode where boimler finds the Borg version of runk and kills the process with like a button press

They already did that once in Best of Both Worlds.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

They already did that once in Best of Both Worlds.

No I mean the runk for literally all borg everywhere all at once

naem
May 29, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Yeah but do they get noroviruses? Because like with how crowded they are, they would just spread throughout whole borg cubes in hours, and like how many toilets do those things even have!

The plague ridden cruise ships of the stars the are!

we are borg

your effluent will become one with our own

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sedgr posted:

JD made out just fine. Plus shes part ancient worm so she would have been bored with a regular vacation anyway though she did seem annoyed a few times.

everytime I see worf in shots like this i'm like

lol that this is the 'subtle' 90s space version of Dr Fu Manchu

ain't nothin' subtle about that facial hair and stance

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I confess I wrote a fanfiction about the beginning of the Borg long ago. This scientist who is messing around with nanotech and assimilates himself, and then it's a quasi-zombie story...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but what was the status of his cum?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

but what was the status of his cum?

I don't recall going into it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Incumclusive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I bet the Borg planet is just totally normal and the Borg are actually futurist and singularity people society just decided to tell to gently caress off

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Tighclops posted:

do borg poop.

I read this as a command, and I did

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I bet the Borg planet is just totally normal and the Borg are actually futurist and singularity people society just decided to tell to gently caress off

It would be sort of funny if the Borg discovered basically how to enter the Q Continuum via computers and the Q freaked out HARD and permabanned them. Now the Borg are just boopin' around trying to figure out how to ascend again around the block and Q tosses the Federation at them as a distraction.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

do borg poop.

Like wombats, they poop little cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

hmm seems legit. Guess they could have a borg butthole that does it