Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So glad that they prob won't ever mention the raid again and it won't effect anything in the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nessus posted:

A robot lady with a fat rear end and he twink brother showed up and asked us to kill some poo poo that was going to gently caress up our daughter's backyard. In appreciation for our efforts, the robot lady left us her rear end after returning to Robot Planet.

The twink and his Metal Gear were pretty hard when new, as I recall.

As the WoL recites what they remember of the raids, the scions slowly realize that their hero is just going through a horny phase and hope it passes soon.

Behind the scenes, Yoko Taro can be heard cackling.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the_steve posted:

*mouth motions and hand pantomimes without any actual sound or word bubbles. Fade to black*

I always imagine the Peanuts adult voice when the WoL is speaking like that

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just want a scene where the WoL explains the Nier raid story to literally anyone that wasn't present for it.

considering that the enemies we summoned in the ShB NR were supposed to be based on WoL's memories, we'd probably end up with dwarves in thigh highs

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So glad that they prob won't ever mention the raid again and it won't effect anything in the story.

As much as I like the Nier raids, yeah, it's probably for the best if they never do. Leave it as a classic TV-style 'they met once and then everyone moved on with their lives' crossover.

I can't imagine which situation would make people madder: FFXIV fans having to factor in a series of both dark fantasy and sci-fi action games (most of which aren't very good let's be honest), or Draken-Nier fans having to factor in the 24-player raids for an entirely unrelated MMO's third expansion.

...probably the first one, actually, Draken-Nier fans are used to having to deal with bullshit like that. At least this one got an official translation.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Trash Ops posted:

if you wanted them you would have been playing lol

i have sunk thousands of hours in this video game. have you considered that I might want them but am just burned out? like i've done tons of long rear end grinds, from 500k every role in the diadem to Rhalgr's right first... I want to play other video games and not feel hostage to a game

fwiw I don't bemoan the fact that i miss out on holiday rewards :v:

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 25, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My only gripe with the Nier series is all the dwarves look the same and it makes it hard to tell anyone apart at a glance. Itd be like if the Void Ark quest was centered around default model vanu vanu for 2 irl years

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah the Nier raid story is:

1) What is happening?
2) What is happening???!?
3) What the gently caress just happened

Drakengard/Nier veterans: "First time?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yoko taro is good at letting actually good writers write stories based on vague stuff he comes up with. unfortunately he wrote the nier raids himself for some reason

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Countblanc posted:

My only gripe with the Nier series is all the dwarves look the same and it makes it hard to tell anyone apart at a glance. Itd be like if the Void Ark quest was centered around default model vanu vanu for 2 irl years

the characters that the Void Ark raid quest were centered around were so imminently forgettable they might as well have been the same model

I think Crystal Tower and Nier are the only AR stories I actually like.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

the characters that the Void Ark raid quest were centered around were so imminently forgettable they might as well have been the same model

Skill issues.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blockhouse posted:

For me it was:

ShB/ARR > HW > StB > EW.

But when it comes to the actual instances/bosses, the order ends up somewhat different:

StB > ShB > HW > EW > ARR

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dwesa posted:

considering that the enemies we summoned in the ShB NR were supposed to be based on WoL's memories, we'd probably end up with dwarves in thigh highs

Lali Ho' :wink:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I do wish there was more of a reason for the story to happen but I will 100% accept "hey check this poo poo out" as the core reason for an alliance raid especially when it's been something built up for such a long time.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

They wanted to do a cool set of raids featuring the twelve and they couldn't figure out a natural way to create significant conflict/peril so they quite sensibly decided not to force it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, a "the Twelve are secretly evil for some reason because mumble mumble maybe auracite I guess??" plot would have been really dire.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it would have been funny

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mainwaring posted:

They wanted to do a cool set of raids featuring the twelve and they couldn't figure out a natural way to create significant conflict/peril so they quite sensibly decided not to force it.

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, a "the Twelve are secretly evil for some reason because mumble mumble maybe auracite I guess??" plot would have been really dire.

:yeah:, and I like the commentary on faith that comes out of it as well. Plus the fights are pretty great imho.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Feldegast42 posted:

:yeah:, and I like the commentary on faith that comes out of it as well. Plus the fights are pretty great imho.

Ehh, Aglaia was great but I've soured a bit on Euphro, it's just entirely too easy and that would be ok if the mechanics that were there were more interesting. But they aren't.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A lot of Euphro is pretty easy, but in mogrock season I've seen a ton of messy fights and struggling healers. Nophica's forced march mechanics reliably reap the harvest. (Also, that old standard alliance-raid killer, "tons of trash mobs all doing AoEs at once.")

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I've seen enough people die to Halone that I worry about the average player's short-term memory.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

A lot of Euphro is pretty easy, but in mogrock season I've seen a ton of messy fights and struggling healers. Nophica's forced march mechanics reliably reap the harvest. (Also, that old standard alliance-raid killer, "tons of trash mobs all doing AoEs at once.")

Philosophically hard to say if it’s difficult or actually more ff14 players are just stone cold morons

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
more players are better now than they have been at any point in the game, but also the average mechanic is more intuitive because of the forced MSQ mechanic-language learning and increasing consistency of markers. people gently caress up but I haven't actually timed out an alliance raid since weeping city week 1

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Aglaia's also easy, but it's LotA-style 'you can skip mechanics if you're good and have to think sometimes' easy. Euphrosyne is WoD or Syrcus-style 'it is literally impossible to see all these mechanics now'. And we're seeing that in the expansion it debuted.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Failboattootoot posted:

Ehh, Aglaia was great but I've soured a bit on Euphro, it's just entirely too easy and that would be ok if the mechanics that were there were more interesting. But they aren't.

Euphro isn't as good as Aglaia but its still alright, the only really dud fight is Althyk and Nymeia.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Althyk and Nymeia is still the only fight I regularly see wide-spread deaths on in the raid. I've yet to be in a group that had more 1 person out of 24 die to Nophica's forced march, even.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Something else that I think contributes to the Twelve raids being a letdown for people, that I believe I've said before but I do think is worth underlining: The nature of these raids means that we already had favorites. Oschon is the last one in the lineup, but that doesn't mean he's a heavy-hitter among the gods; for a lot of people Oschon is 'just some dude' compared to someone like Rhalgr. People are coming to see their favorite god, and hoping that said god gets to be a really rad fight, butthere's a very good chance that their god got short-changed and everything after that is just a wind-down. In fact, it's almost inevitable because alliance raids have an element of escalation; the earlier ones in the raid are inevitably less impressive than the later ones. If your favorite god was Byregot, not only are you sitting around for eleven bosses worth of 'and the rest', but the fight against Byregot himself was probably a letdown for you.

Althyk and Nymeia's actually the worst example of it. Not only are they absolutely the biggest letdown in terms of boss strength, and in that weird second boss slot where it's really easy to get overshadowed, it also hit two gods! Botht he Althyk and Nymeia fans were disappointed!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Althyk and Nymeia is a good fight in concept it's just that Nymeia's stuff comes out too slow in comparison to how fast their health drops.

Cleretic posted:

Something else that I think contributes to the Twelve raids being a letdown for people, that I believe I've said before but I do think is worth underlining: The nature of these raids means that we already had favorites. Oschon is the last one in the lineup, but that doesn't mean he's a heavy-hitter among the gods; for a lot of people Oschon is 'just some dude' compared to someone like Rhalgr. People are coming to see their favorite god, and hoping that said god gets to be a really rad fight, butthere's a very good chance that their god got short-changed and everything after that is just a wind-down. In fact, it's almost inevitable because alliance raids have an element of escalation; the earlier ones in the raid are inevitably less impressive than the later ones. If your favorite god was Byregot, not only are you sitting around for eleven bosses worth of 'and the rest', but the fight against Byregot himself was probably a letdown for you.

Althyk and Nymeia's actually the worst example of it. Not only are they absolutely the biggest letdown in terms of boss strength, and in that weird second boss slot where it's really easy to get overshadowed, it also hit two gods! Botht he Althyk and Nymeia fans were disappointed!

I will say I am incredibly disappointed that only Nald/Thal and Menphina got themes, yes. I understand that making 11-13 unique songs was not going to happen but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hellioning posted:

Althyk and Nymeia is a good fight in concept it's just that Nymeia's stuff comes out too slow in comparison to how fast their health drops.

I will say I am incredibly disappointed that only Nald/Thal and Menphina got themes, yes. I understand that making 11-13 unique songs was not going to happen but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

100% on both thoughts

Wonder if the new song will be about the 13th god or all of them? All of the raid songs this tier have been so loving good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

100% on both thoughts

Wonder if the new song will be about the 13th god or all of them? All of the raid songs this tier have been so loving good

Calling my shot, it's gonna be the generic Gods' theme, Brute Justice Version.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Calling my shot, it's gonna be the generic Gods' theme, Brute Justice Version.

If the 13th god is secretly a mech piloted by the other 12 will have no problems with that.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I chose Byregot and his fight owns and still kills me occasionally, A++ raid series

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hellioning posted:

If the 13th god is secretly a mech piloted by the other 12 will have no problems with that.

If they don't do a Knights of the Round/Brute Justice/Ultima-style attack, this whole thing has been wasted.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Blockhouse posted:

I’ll take “we have Skies of Arcadia at home” over a town of rear end in a top hat dwarves any day.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

I just want to chime in to say the Menphina fight was rad as was the music and the doggo.

I hope they do some knights of the round style thing on the last fight where each of the 12 flies in to do a bombastic and on theme attack.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

been waiting this whole time for Oschon fight, big wonder how that'll go...

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Think I may have mentioned this before but this questline actually made me spend actual money on a Fantasia to turn my patron into Oschon from Rhalgr.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lines posted:

Think I may have mentioned this before but this questline actually made me spend actual money on a Fantasia to turn my patron into Oschon from Rhalgr.

It's kinda funny you need a Fantasia to do this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I don't know what would make me completely change my faith in a god, but drinking a potion that turned me into a catgirl would probably do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

I also took the opportunity to slightly tweak my skin shade so I was less reflectively pale. But it is a bit silly.